NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

Ring Fit Adventure

Just now, Tim B said:

Though I only play games on Nintendo consoles, it's all interesting to me. I wouldn't go posting about the sales of games on other consoles because a) I don't play them and b) this is a Nintendo site.

I also like TV ratings, box office totals etc. and I used to love the Top 40 music charts when I was younger, before streaming made them irrelevant. 

It's interesting you mention the music charts and how streaming made them irrelevant because we are starting to see the same thing in gaming now.

The UK gaming weekly charts are fast becoming irrelevant due to the lack of digital numbers. They were supposed to be starting to publish them this year but it hasn't happened. Also, with services such as Game Pass now muddying the waters even further, actual sales data and the sales success of a game is going to be harder to track. For example, Gears 5 had a horrendous time in the UK charts but the player numbers were over 3 million on launch weekend. The Game Pass effect right there.

The industry is changing and sales data is going to have to evolve with it.

• Thanks 1

Yep, though it appears that enough people are still buying boxed games to make the charts relevant enough for now, though this is declining at a rapid rate. I'm sure I read via one of the Games Industry Biz folks that digital data is set to be included from next year. I'll be interested to see how that turns out.

It already is in the EMEA charts that are released, I think, with the exception of Nintendo who are still refusing to provide the data.

• Thanks 1

I’m looking forward to finally achieving my ‘beach body’ once this game arrives in a couple of days :D

In all seriousness, I was accepted into the London Marathon last week and so this should complement my marathon training quite nicely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I ended up cancelling my preorder for this on Tuesday. After playing Labo I was worried how much of a game this thing would actually offer. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week so I wouldn't be using it as a fitness device but rather just a game. If it offers a lengthy experience then I may still pick it up at some point but at the moment I figured I'll just wait.

Oh my god. I just completed the first world in Ring Fit Adventure and I'm absolutely exhausted! I love the way it encourages me to do exercises I would never choose to do myself. In only 19 minutes of exercise I was dripping in sweat. This is definitely a big step up from Wii Fit in terms of workout intensity. The Ring-Con is a great piece of kit and I can see this being used for other fitness-based games in the future.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Anyone else have impressions to share? I can’t get it just yet, but I’m eager to hear some more opinions from you guys! :) 

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Anyone else have impressions to share? I can’t get it just yet, but I’m eager to hear some more opinions from you guys! :) 

Anyone? No? 

tenor.gif

I was still back and forth on whether to pick this up but the reviews were saying that it's a lengthy adventure and then Dcubed asked for some impressions, so I nipped up to Argos and picked it up. Don't say I don't do anything for you. :p 

EHK8cZ2WwAA8XKY.jpg

I quite like the message that is in the box. 

EHLSHl8X0AMPSnd.jpg

An inspiring message that a lot of our nation should take heed of. I wonder if the box has the same message in the US? Over there it probably doesn't come with a ring and instead is just a pizza in the box. :D 

Spoiler

EHLO4a0U4AAVSq9.jpg

EHLO4a1UEAA3289.jpgEHLO4bPVUAA2WcM.jpg

EHLO4a2U0AAOHWE.jpg

EHLPCDSU8AEhDJG.jpg

EHLPCDIVUAEZMwc.jpg

EHLPCCwUEAAwUVU.jpg

EHLPCC-VAAAo4rC.jpg

EHLPKidUEAE0esL.jpg

EHLPKiwUEAALeob.jpg

EHLPKixVAAE0yOx.jpg

EHLPTCPUcAAXqEq.jpg

EHLPTCZU8AA5EgA.jpg

EHLPTCLVAAAA9xY.jpg

EHLPTCIU8AAZCv_.jpg

EHLPbXjU8AA2GAv.jpg

EHLPjLbUUAAXExS.jpg

EHLPwiNVAAACnbw.jpg

EHLPwh3VUAYr50f.jpg

EHLPwidUUAAwy0n.jpg

EHLPwiBVAAEdB0t.jpg

EHLP6CxU8AAWIQ3.jpg

EHLQG76VUAI-tG1.jpg

EHLQG7bUUAAjbKW.jpg

EHLQPPbUYAASpbE.jpg

EHLQPPVU4AAVbZf.jpg

EHLQPPcUcAAuZnz.jpg

Setting up everything is stupidly simple and fast. You just plug your right joy-con into the ring and then strap the leg strap onto your left thigh, before sliding the left joy-con into the pouch. I was worried about taking screenshots and thought I would have to keep reaching for my left thigh in order to take a snap. Thankfully, Nintendo thought about this and you can take a snap by hitting the R trigger on the right joy-con. With the way that it is positioned in the ring it makes it very easy and accessible to capture a moment.

I started off by jumping straight into the adventure mode. The game will get you to do some small stretching exercises first just so you don't do yourself an injury. Also, when you first fire up the game you get asked a bunch of questions and depending on how you answer them the game will set your difficulty level. It set mine at 18 and I thought I got a half decent workout out of that level. You can alter this if you feel it to be too strenuous or too easy.

The character creation is VERY basic. I was hoping for a few more customization options but sadly that wasn't to be. You can select a skin tone, eye colour and that's pretty much it. I do think more costumes/armour becomes available during the course of the adventure, so we'll see what that brings to the table.

The story starts off with your character picking up Ring and agreeing to help him take down the big steroid filled baddie that has stolen all of his powers. Yeah, pretty basic but we aren't here for the story are we. 

The game is split up into chapters/worlds and with each of these are numerous stages. Getting through the stages involves running on the spot and then taking on enemies when you encounter them. Running is done quite well in the game and I appreciate the options that have been put into it. You have the standard running move where you jog on the spot or you can select the silent running mode. This allows players to do squats rather than running on the spot. This is great for those who don't want to make a noise or are playing in a room that isn't on the ground floor.

As you run through the stages you will see small coins and 3 large coins scattered about the area. You can grab these coins by simply running into them or by stretching the exercise ring which will fire up a suction move, sucking in all of the coins that you aim at. The large coins are worth keeping an eye out for because they will offer a bit of an exp boost at the end of the stage. Some of them you will have to have quick reactions to nab because they are on paths that will require you to jump to.

The stages I have encountered so far have already had a bit of variety to them. Some are tailored for more enemy encounters, which means more static exercises, whereas others are fitted out with things to jump over and conveyor belts that you have to run against. These seem to have fewer encounters but that's because you are doing more cardio. During one of the cardio stages there was a huge conveyor belt at the end of the level. You have to pump those legs to get up to the top. After all of these years I now know how the contestants of Gladiators felt when reaching the Travelator. :laughing:

The levels with lots of enemy encounters also offer a good work out, so don't think you're getting off easy by select these stages. The moves you have at your disposal are a mixed set of exercises and Nintendo has been clever about what they start you off with. The battles can take a bit of time at the start of the game, especially the final boss battles of a world. That being the case, it could be very easy to get tired during these lengthy fights. Thankfully, the moves that you start with are a nice mixture of yoga style movements and more active type exercises. What I was doing was attacking 2 turns in a row with ring pushing exercises and then following up with something like a knee raising exercise. This gave my arms a rest for a turn while my legs done the heavy lifting. It's a great way to keep you going during a battle and it also stops the battles from being boring because you are constantly mixing things up.

As you level up you will unlock more moves to use. Some of these are less powerful but they will hit multiple targets and some of them may be easier on the body than others. Eventually you will need to decide on which moves to take into battle with you because you only have a certain amount of move slots at your disposal. Picking you moves wisely will help you keep your strength up for the longer stages. For example, I got rid of the squat move because my legs were already getting a workout by running through the actual level. This gave them a rest during battles, which then allowed me to breeze through the running parts of the stage.

The battles look to be getting more complex in the next world. I've just unlocked a colour system. Each exercise is given a colour and by using these against an enemy of the same colour, it looks like it will inflict more damage. This adds another dimension of what moves you will take into battle with you. I haven't played around with that yet though.

In the second world I unlocked a mini game that, upon completion, offered a certain amount of coins, depending on what rank you score. It was kind of a whack-a-mole game and it was incredibly fun. You have 2 kind of hammers that are attached to a wheel and the ring you are holding mimics said wheel. Pulling the ring will send the hammers outwards and pushing the ring will send them inwards. It was nice distraction from the main adventure and another way to give your body a quick bit of relaxation.

During the course of the adventure you will unlock achievements/trophies for the actions you perform. These just look to be hitting certain milestones in the game but they are certainly a welcome addition. As many people on here know, I do love me some achievements/trophies/goals, so this has a great appeal to someone like me.

I ended my session after defeating the world 2 boss and when choosing to quite the game will offer a cooldown period. This is just a bunch of exercises without the ring and involves doing a few final stretches to make sure that everything is nice and loose as you finish.

My stats at the end of the session were as follows.

EHLQPPTUYAAmyQp.jpg

After finishing off the first 2 worlds I reached level 11. I wanted to hit level 10 before I called it a day so I was happy with actually pushing past that.

As I mentioned the other day, I do have a gym membership and try to go 3-4 times a week. I mainly do cardio, with some lifting mixed in-between. That being the case, the game still managed to give me a decent work out in my 35 minute session. Would it replace me going to the gym? Not at all but it will certainly complement it. I'm using different muscles and doing different exercise than I usually do during my regular workouts, so it works really well with what i'm already doing.

I do think it's a great bit of exercise and product for those who do want to get in shape but would like to do so in the comfort of their own home. For me, this is a much better product as a game than Wii Fit ever was, especially if you are a fan of the JRPG genre. Seeing the experience bar go up, grinding to achieve another level, unlocking moves, all of these are great motivators and pinning these things to exercise is a very clever idea. Yes, i've only put a very short amount of time into the game so far but I can certainly see the potential in it. 

Methinks I will do another world this evening and then leave it for the day, but I am already looking forward to putting more time into it tomorrow!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Sounds brill! I love the dialogue in your screenshots already.  Mad Miitopia/Streetpass Plaza vibes :D 

Looks like its for some meat on its bones and it sounds like tons of fun! Looks like a proper Nintendo-esc Nintendo game! Cheers for the impressions @Hero-of-Time.  Will be picking it up for sure! :peace:

• Thanks 1

Doing that actually comes in handy. I'm sure I got a heart off one of them by firing an air shot or using the suction. I'd also recommended firing like a madman through the stages. You'll get bonus exp at the end for how many blasts you do and there's loads of scenery that can be hit or destroyed for extra coins.

• Thanks 1

I had another session on the game this morning.

Spoiler

EHO-7ZtU0AMUl79.jpg

EHO-7ZZU8AEQE4R.jpg

EHO-7ZXUUAEECY7.jpg

EHO-7ZnUEAAgwSe.jpg

EHO_GsTU8AAB0qA.jpg

EHO_GsdUUAEqg8n.jpg

EHO_GsmU8AA04Od.jpg

EHO_GsfU8AExdbX.jpg

EHO_SN1U8AA6dfS.jpg

EHO_SN0VUAEs2jZ.jpg

EHO_SNXVAAA9nyc.jpg

EHO_SNPVAAA_jU9.jpg

EHO_d0EUwAAxLoZ.jpg

EHO_d0DVUAAPLy2.jpg

EHO_d0HU0AANRDl.jpg

EHO_d0GUcAAGIZl.jpg

EHO_kv-UwAA_Tiu.jpg

A couple of things have annoyed me.

The first is that they are using the US spelling for color. It's such a non issue but it's something that irritates me every time I see it pop up. Could they not have given us the British version of the spelling? It's Colour Splash all over again. :mad: 

The second thing is the leaderboards. I was eager to see where I placed in my age bracket in the world rankings but sadly I can't access it. Why? Because I no longer have a Nintendo online subscription service that is active. This isn't playing a game online, it's just checking a leaderboard. I'm disgusted that something as simple as this is locked behind a paywall. 

The session I had this morning was a good one. I decided to knock up the difficulty a couple of levels, taking it to level 20. Yesterday's session was decent but I thought I could be pushed a little further. To be honest I didn't feel much difference and I may crank it up again in my next session. 

The 3rd world was a little longer than the previous two and it had a lot more to do. I unlocked the ability to make smoothies. These are drinks that you can take into a stage and use in battles. They will either give you a temporary stat boost or heal you up. The healing ones certainly came in handy during the boss fight of this world. I cocked up my abs exercise ( let go too quick ) and the boss managed to get a decent shot on me. Using the smoothie healed me up nicely and allowed me to finish the fight. Not that I would have needed it. His next attack involved throwing boxes at me and I got a bunch of hearts from those by smashing them up with the air gust move. :D 

This world also introduced the ability to spend you coins at the shops. I went there as soon as I could and bought myself some new gear. If you've been vigilant in collecting the coins that are scattered throughout the stages then you should have no trouble affording the best gear that the shops have to offer. The stat boosts they give are well worth shelling out for.

More minigames were unlocked and these were just as fun as the ones found in the previous worlds. One had me doing squats at different heights in order to jump and collect coins. Jump too high and you may hit a bomb so you really have to bend your legs at just the right height. Another has you hold the ring above your head and do twists from left to right to grab the coins that are heading you way. Bombs fill in the other spaces so you have to make such to twist at the right angle so they pass you by. It was here that I found out that S ranks are achievable in the minigames.

I finished off the third world but headed straight back into it because some sidequests had been unlocked. As seen in one of the pics, i've still not done one of them but that's because it has yet to pop up. I'm guessing it will appear as I get further into the game. The sidequests themselves aren't too taxing as of yet. They just required me to replay a couple for the minigames and get a certain score, which was easy enough. You do get rewarded with items and coins though, so it's certainly worth taking the time to play through these.

I played through a couple stages in the next world ( Sporta...hilarious :laughing: ) and then finished my session. My goal was to get to level 20 before the end of the day and i've already achieved that. Another session will be had on this later today/this evening.

Oh, something I forgot to mention yesterday was that if you plan on sharing the game with other people then I would recommend picking up some gym gloves. Your hands can get sweaty when playing the game and holding the ring for longer periods of time. I can't imagine the ring staying in fresh condition for long if multiple people are sweating all over it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ike said:

Just picked up mine, and a, uh, pizza for tea...

Truly committed I see. Do not mistake the ring for the pizza and vice versa..

• Haha 3

Only two sessions on this game so far and my body already has noticeable improvements. My chest in particular looks fitter and stronger. I’m looking forward to seeing what progress is made after a couple more weeks of playing.

It reached No.5 in the UK chart, a few hundred copies behind The Switcher which had a three-day head start. Positive word of mouth should keep this game around in the charts for a long time, even if it doesn’t quite become the phenomenon that Wii Fit was.

Well, my abs certainly got a good workout after this happened!: :heh:

I’m still laughing about it.gif :laughing: 

• Haha 3

This "game" looks full of charm and loads of fun, need to pick it up at some point

Ring Fit Adventure sold 5% more copies in its second week on sale in the UK. Very well deserved! From what I hear there are stock shortages everywhere too.

Just think how many of these are going to be sold during December/January :laughing:

Disappointed you didn't tell us where on the Amazon chart it is this week :nono:

• Haha 2

Good to see you picking away at the game, @RedShell. How far into it are you now?

I really need to get back to it. I haven't been on the game since the weekend I picked it up. I was going to use the game on my rest days from the gym but that hasn't happened. With me renewing my Nintendo online subscription, maybe finally having access to the the leaderboards will me some motivation.

• Thanks 1

I played for 90 minutes on Saturday and burned 700 calories, according to my Fitbit, which has to be more accurate than the in-game stats. It's not like you don't burn calories in between the exercises, because you obviously do. I'm really impressed with the gainz I've made on my chest in particular. There's a huge difference to where I was at before.

@Hero-of-Time I also haven't played as much as I was hoping, but this is partly due to it being a more hardcore workout than anticipated. I'm absolutely loving what I've played so far though. I've just reached the end of World 3 and was literally one rep away from beating the boss, before he defeated me :cry:. I'll go in with loads more smoothies and beat him easily next time.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Good to see you picking away at the game, @RedShell. How far into it are you now?

I really need to get back to it. I haven't been on the game since the weekend I picked it up. I was going to use the game on my rest days from the gym but that hasn't happened. With me renewing my Nintendo online subscription, maybe finally having access to the the leaderboards will me some motivation.

Have been managing to play for around 15-20 minutes each evening and I’m currently approaching the end of World 5 at Lv 37.

I had a nice surprise when I booted the game up yesterday, a gift had arrived from Stevo (aka darksnowman)! Some Exp, and smoothie ingredients. :) I wasn’t even aware of this feature, but luckily the game then mentioned that I could also send gifts to people on my friends list via the Multitask Mode, so I checked that out and returned the favour.

Turns out Multitask Mode is actually pretty cool, as it doesn’t require the game to be running (or even your Switch at all for that matter) and works solely with the ring and right Joy-Con. It uses HD Rumble in a very cool way too, every time you push or pull on the ring it makes a beep-boop sound (or a boop-beep, depending on if you’re pushing or pulling :grin:) whenever you hit 100 reps it does a little jingle, then a longer tune when you reach 500, which is the limit. It really seems like the sounds are playing out of a Wii Remote style speaker, HD Rumble is so cool. :cool: 

Anyway, then when you return to the game it’ll know how many reps you’ve done and allow you to either add them as an Exp bonus to your Adventure Mode character, or gift them to someone else. I’m not sure how the data is recorded though, I suppose the Ring-Con must have some kind of internal memory. ::shrug:

But yeah, loving Ring Fit Adventure and I’m definitely starting to notice a slight improvement to my arms, which have traditionally been very Mr Burns-esque when it comes to strength. :laughing: 

• Like 1

I can still only do 2 levels before I'm knackered. Definitely more intense than Wii Fit.

I noticed you can claim gold coins now, it wasn't working for a while.

Saw some good fan art on Twitter today.

• Haha 2

Sign in to follow this