NEurope
Sméagol

Nintendo Switch Online: SNES

content-4-36233-nintendoswitchnessnesonlineupdatebanner.jpg

Nintendo Switch Online NES and SNES applications will be updated soon

Nintendo really do pick the weirdest times to update these applications. :p

Oh well, it's all up on the main page now and it will be nice to see these games appear on the service from 20th May, 2020. :)

NES - Rygar - previous VC release? Yes - any good? Yes - a dated yet decent title which is still a classic.

SNES - Wild Guns - previous VC release? Yes - any good? Yes - a great arcade-style Western-themed shooter.

Panel de Pon - previous VC release? No - any good? Yes - an underrated Puzzle game which is well worth playing.

Operation Logic Bomb - previous VC release? No - any good? according to a SNES Drunk review...

Yes... it's worth playing and apparently, because it was one of those games which lacked any save feature, this should do well on Nintendo Switch Online.

All in all, this is a pretty good update, let us hope that it isn't too long until the next batch of games though.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

NES - Rygar - previous VC release? Yes - any good? Yes - a dated yet decent title which is still a classic.

YES!!!! I adore this game :heart:

• Like 1

HOLY SHIT!!! ONLINE PANEL DE PON!?!? 

Uhm... yes? I’ll take that all over my face, yes please! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 2

Online Panel de Pon is an amazing addition! Kudos!

Let's face it, Tetris Attack was never happening with that title! So I'm glad they're giving us the Japanese version!

• Thanks 2

Good, now we're one step closer to the actual good DKC games.

I say this knowing full well I have access to all 3 on my SNES Mini and the latter 2 on my 3DS.

I wanna do an online 2-player contest once DKC 2 gets released a year from now.

OK, with Mario All-Stars coming out very soon. I wanna do a 2 player online playthrough of All-Stars Super Mario Bros. 3 with someone here.

Who's up for it?

Oh, and before I forget, NO INSTIGATING THE MARIO BROS. BATTLE MINI-GAME!

I can never finish a co-op run of that because @Dcubed can't help himself and we never get past World bloody 1!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, drahkon said:

Me me me :peace:

Fine, but when we finish, we're finishing Kirby Super Star afterwards.

Oh, and no warp whistles. Why bother if we're just gonna skip 90% of the game?

Friday good for you?

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

Oh, and no warp whistles. Why bother if we're just gonna skip 90% of the game?

I never really played it so I don't know anything about the warps :p

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

Fine, but when we finish, we're finishing Kirby Super Star afterwards.

Sure :D

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Friday good for you?

Literally the worst day of the upcoming weekend. Busy with work and friends the entire day/night.

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Literally the worst day of the upcoming weekend. Busy with work and friends the entire day/night.

Well, Saturday afternoon?

Edited by Glen-i

Just now, Glen-i said:

Well, Saturday afternoon?

That could work. Not sure exactly when, but I'll try to be back home by 5pm (German time).

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

That could work. Not sure exactly when, but I'll try to be back home by 5pm (German time).

I can also play after my 46 N-E games session as well.

So 9-ish will also work.

EDIT: BTW, if anyone else wants to, I don't mind playing through with other people as well. There's 4 save slots, I don't mind playing it multiple times.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Okay, so a question as someone playing through the "main" Mario games (have only played Super Mario Bros. on NES Online so far): is it worth me hopping over to SNES Online and playing those games in their All-Stars version instead?

I'm sure I can look up the differences myself (the updated sprites are at least a bit easier on the eye), but what I'm more interested in is if these are viewed as the definitive/better ways to experience these games? 

To my understanding, the differences are just cosmetic. If you want to experience these games as they were first released, the NES versions are the faithful ones, but if you definitely prefer the updated graphics, I think All-Stars is the way to go.

Personally, I find the updated graphics of SMB2 and SMB3 fitting and pleasing, but I can't stand the update to SMB1 and Lost Levels. The NES originals have such a memorable aesthetic to them, that the All-Stars version just sanitizes completely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Okay, so a question as someone playing through the "main" Mario games (have only played Super Mario Bros. on NES Online so far): is it worth me hopping over to SNES Online and playing those games in their All-Stars version instead?

I'm sure I can look up the differences myself (the updated sprites are at least a bit easier on the eye), but what I'm more interested in is if these are viewed as the definitive/better ways to experience these games? 

For Mario Bros. 2 (USA) and Mario Bros. 3, it's better to play the All-Stars version. Better visuals, soundtrack and the ability to save the game. (Kinda moot with Switch online App save states, but still)

However, Super Mario Bros. and the Lost Levels have dodgy physics with breaking brick blocks. In the NES versions, Mario ricochets down after breaking a brick block. In the SNES versions, Mario still travels upwards a bit after breaking one which kills running momentum dead.

Seeing as you've already played SMB 1. You can just try 2 USA and 3 on All-Stars and ignore the first game and Lost Levels. (Lost Levels is too frustrating and difficult to be any fun)

EDIT: Oh right, the NES version of 3 has some very noticeable screen tearing (not sure if it's actually that, but there's some obvious graphical anomalies) on the side of the screen, probably because that game is really pushing the NES limits. All Stars version has none of that. Less slowdown in the SNES one as well.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Lost Levels is too frustrating and difficult to be any fun

Is it frustrating or difficult? :p 
I've always wanted to play a difficult Mario game...even the Champion's Road levels offer no challenge (this is a brag, yes!). If Lost Levels is difficult but fair, I'm going to give it a go sooner rather than later.

6 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Is it frustrating or difficult? :p 
I've always wanted to play a difficult Mario game...even the Champion's Road levels offer no challenge (this is a brag, yes!). If Lost Levels is difficult but fair, I'm going to give it a go sooner rather than later.

Defo the hardest official 2D Mario. Fair? Highly debatable. There's the wind mechanic which feels very random when it shows up, Green springs that launch you right off the screen for a very long time and you'll have to somehow land on a small platform far to the right with basically no point of reference to guide you.

The game also LOVES those maze sections where you have to choose the correct path, otherwise you loop through the same section forever. And the less said about the warp zones that send you backwards, the better.

And then there's World 9, a secret world you get from beating the game without warp zones. For no reason what-so-ever, you get only one life here. You die? Tough luck, Oh, and then there's 4 more secret worlds after that which are nothing short of sadistic.

If you do go for it. Make sure you choose Luigi Game. His extra jump height makes all the difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

So it's just stupid. Happy to avoid it then, thanks :) 

Nintendo of America were totally on the ball when they decided to just reskin Doki Doki Panic and call that Mario Bros. 2 instead.

• Like 2