NEurope
Sméagol

Nintendo Switch Online: SNES

Is anyone else using an alternative to the SNES controllers in the meantime?

I'm using the Nintendo GameCube Hori controller which I use for most games which just require a D-Pad and face buttons...

RememberingNintendoGameCubeImageSCG1.jpg

The one in the middle, underneath the SSBU GC controller.*

Of course it might not be ideal for all SNES games due to the face button layout but I think it works well for most, the only drawback is when you're using it and you want to capture screenshots while playing games like Super Mario Kart online and the Switch moves in the dock, disconnecting everything in the process... :blush: but aside from that, it's ideal.

Those SNES pads for the Switch do look nice though, although... am I mistaken or do they not have a capture button on them either?

Are there any titles anyone is hoping will be added to the Nintendo Switch Online SNES library soon?

Also... do you think that N-Europe needs reviews of these titles? (they've been covered before) Or would you like an article about the Nintendo Switch Online games at all?

I'm just thinking of ideas for features, though there's plenty that we can cover already, indeed it's hard to keep up at the moment with the amount of games being released. :D

I've been finding the SNES games to be a nice change of pace inbetween other games, I'll likely be playing more of the titles I didn't play so much back in the Wii VC days. :peace:

*Yeah alright, I might have wanted an excuse to share a partial picture of my GC games collection.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

am I mistaken or do they not have a capture button on them either?

I believe one of those tiny ZL and ZR shoulder buttons doubles as the capture button on that particular controller.

Kind of strange/annoying that Nintendo won’t enable this for other controllers too (not even with SL or SR when using a single Joy-Con ::shrug:) as I use my Wii U Pro controller and would love to have a capture button shortcut on that.

40 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Are there any titles anyone is hoping will be added to the Nintendo Switch Online SNES library soon?

Mario Paint! :heh: 

Yeah, I’m guessing that one is unlikely without some type of modification, but if they somehow got it working with the Switch touchscreen that would be glorious! Be fun to mess around with the music tool on there again.

Other than that I’d like to see Mystical Ninja (especially as I no longer have access to my Wii Virtual Console copy) and if Konami wanted to be really cool (also unlikely :hmm:) the Japan exclusive Mystical Ninja titles! Oh, and Pop’n Twinbee! :hehe:

• Like 1

Turtles in Time and Killer Instinct would be amazing for online multiplayer, but I think they are both very unlikely due to licensing. Street Racer would be fun as well!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Are they sold out already, can't see a Buy button

Yeah, or the button wasn't meant to be active yet?

I've ordered two. Thanks for the heads up @Ike. Nintendo is taking the piss with the delivery charge though! 

1 hour ago, Blade said:

I've ordered two. Thanks for the heads up @Ike. Nintendo is taking the piss with the delivery charge though! 

HcreElo.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I'm all signed in but all I've got is a spinning circle icon, something tells me these will be sold out within the hour.

Just time-outs, bad gateway errors, security messages after loading for around five minutes each time.

Oh well, I guess I didn't want these controllers that much anyway...

It doesn't help that loads of US My Nintendo subscribers are trying to order to get the (arguably superior) PAL SNES pads as well. :rolleyes:

Nintendo UK won't even ship to them even if they go through the whole process...

It's going to be bad enough actually ordering these if/when I can get through as I remember what it was like the last time ordering some item from them.

I icon at the top of the tab is blue now as least, maybe I'll get through... who knows at this point. ::shrug:

Edited by S.C.G

Your post is from 6 hours ago, and I'm still getting the spinning circle. I'm not too fussed about not getting one, but I would like to order one for a buddy. (and maybe get one myself, why not..) Oh well, I guess I'll see again tomorrow.

Edited by ArtMediocre
English. Hard.

Just now, ArtMediocre said:

Your post is from 6 hours ago, and I'm still getting the spinning circle. I'm not too fuzzed about not getting one, but I would like to order one for a buddy. (and maybe get one myself, why not..) Oh well, I guess I'll see again tomorrow.

I'm still refreshing the page periodically even though it seems hopeless. :D (yes I'm stubborn)

I'll be sure to let you know if I have any success.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ArtMediocre said:

Your post is from 6 hours ago, and I'm still getting the spinning circle. I'm not too fuzzed about not getting one, but I would like to order one for a buddy. (and maybe get one myself, why not..) Oh well, I guess I'll see again tomorrow.

It's working!

Ordering now.

All ordered, thankfully there is now an option to manually add an address if yours isn't picked up on their system.

If all goes well, the controllers will arrive in a couple of weeks and we may well have a feature for the site as well. :D

Edited by S.C.G

9 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Sweet, thanks @S.C.G! Ordered two now. Jesus, 13,4 shipping... Sucks that Norway don't have its own Nintendo Store. 

No worries, it was £8.90 shipping here, so I just went and ordered the maximum four pads allowed per account as my brother will likely want at least one or two.

I think that's mainly it now for the year for me, aside from a few pre-orders as I can't carry on buying stuff like this, it's just that I know these will probably be one of those items...

Get them now if you can, otherwise they'll probably sell out and then the only place to get them from will be £50 + per pad on auction sites etc. ::shrug:

19 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Terranigma is a hard-to-buy, charming Zelda clone with a slightly wonky translation that may make one very serious scene utterly hilarious and after playing it last year, I feel like everyone should be able to play it easily.

But that's never gonna happen. And for some reason, I get the feeling we won't see any of Square's titles on this service.

So... Breath of Fire 2? I'm really in the mood to revisit that game and I want to play the original SNES version this time.

• Thanks 1

Just a heads up man, it's 'fussed' not 'fuzzed' (you did the same thing in the VR thread too)

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Terranigma is a hard-to-buy, charming Zelda clone with a slightly wonky translation that may make one very serious scene utterly hilarious and after playing it last year, I feel like everyone should be able to play it easily.

But that's never gonna happen. And for some reason, I get the feeling we won't see any of Square's titles on this service.

So... Breath of Fire 2? I'm really in the mood to revisit that game and I want to play the original SNES version this time.

Oh snap! That's actually a really good suggestion. :D

You're right though, it probably won't happen outside of a remake or as part of another collection but even if that happens, that would be great.

I bought a German language cart only copy a while back because it was cheaper and I thought that I might play it on the Retron 5 with an English language patch.

That didn't happen but there might be another way for me to play it on another system later on this year or next year... hopefully.

If not then I'll be hoping for a Switch re-release in some form or another anyway.

1 hour ago, bob said:
13 hours ago, ArtMediocre said:

Just a heads up man, it's 'fussed' not 'fuzzed' (you did the same thing in the VR thread too)

Thanks Bob! That's what I get for using words I don't know :p 

Btw, do anyone know if you can connect the SNES controller to a PC? Would be nice if you could use it for other games on Steam.

Edited by ArtMediocre

27 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Btw, do anyone know if you can connect the SNES controller to a PC? Would be nice if you could use it for other games on Steam.

Now, this is kind of what I'm hoping for as well in a way because of how Pro Controllers now work since various updates you can use them wired, hopefully these will be the same.

I really hope so, otherwise I'll probably just use them for the odd go on a SNES game but I really think they'll have a wired option built in instead of just charging.

And if that's the case then hooking them up to a PC with the USB cable shouldn't be a problem, I hope.

• Like 1

Probably not bothering with the SNES controller, if i do get something, it'll probably be one from 8bitDo or something.  Used one in the past, felt comfortable.

In terms of games i'm looking forward to for the SNES online app, outside what is most likely obvious being the Donkey Kong Country trilogy, i'm hoping they bring Earthbound and (would they though, seeing as it would be a SNES mini selling point) Starfox 2

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Now, this is kind of what I'm hoping for as well in a way because of how Pro Controllers now work since various updates you can use them wired, hopefully these will be the same.

The Pro Controller can work wireless with other systems as well. I've connected mine both to the Steam Link and my Android phone and that both worked.

I don't know if the NES and SNES use the same Bluetooth protocol but if so my guess is they can also connect wireless to other devices.

1 minute ago, Vileplume2000 said:

The Pro Controller can work wireless with other systems as well. I've connected mine both to the Steam Link and my Android phone and that both worked.

I don't know if the NES and SNES use the same Bluetooth protocol but if so my guess is they can also connect wireless to other devices.

Oh yeah, wirelessly it will probably work fine with Steam, I was just kind of hoping that because it should work like a Pro Controller with the wired connection option, these might too.

I've had mixed results connecting my Switch Pro Controller wired to a PC, it doesn't matter too much though as I have a wired Xbox One Elite controller for that.

In fact, recently that controller is getting more use on my PC than on the Xbox One itself. :p

I'd be using the Pro Controller even more than I do already on my Switch if I could get it to work reliably over a wired connection on my PC, it's always good to have options. :peace:

I'll be looking forward to getting these SNES pads and testing them extensively when they arrive, on the SNES games and everything else too. :D

So the physical copy of Tetris, together with 12 month subscription cost's the same as subscription via eshop?