NEurope
Sméagol

Nintendo Switch Online: SNES

4 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

If you're up for it @Glen-i, I'm heading on now.

OK, I'll go open a room, seeing as our save data is on my profile.

Thanks again @Glen-i, loving SMW and it's fun to see how someone else plays it. Gotta go now, but maybe I've got some more time somewhere tonight or tomorrow. I'll tag you here!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Thanks again @Glen-i, loving SMW and it's fun to see how someone else plays it. Gotta go now, but maybe I've got some more time somewhere tonight or tomorrow. I'll tag you here!

Not until you fix my game!

• Haha 3
  • Weird 1

Hope @Vileplume2000 doesn't mind me hijacking our play through so I could confirm this about Big Boo.

27 years later and I'm still learning new things about this game!

Don't worry, the suspend point is still at the same point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So I managed to finish the first loop in Super ghouls N' Ghosts finally after all these years...only to get the middle finger of mysery...

So I went on a never ending quest to colllect her " hidden and totally not ust dropped " jewellery. 

All in ll I have so many fond memories of this game. as rock hard as it is, There's an overwheling sense of satisfaction when you beat levels you struggle on. I never did beat this game as a kid for how hard it is, however I have so many memories that wafted back to me as I played through this game again. On y second run I did kind of regret gettign the Goddess Bracelet so early because...well...it sucks...any ghouls and ghosts player knows that the dagger is by far the best weapon! ' ^ ' but alas... I learnt that the hard way...

All in all This game is ust as amazing as I remember as a kid <3 and there's a certain uphoria earned by finally taking this game down after so many years! Even if you are dealt a middle finger after beating it once...<3 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of Capcom games...

Yes, that was the final boss. Yes, that was the background. Yes, Breath of Fire 2 does the same thing. Probably because of the complicated sprite. No, I'm not showing you that, that would be spoilers.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I only ever played the GBA version of Breath of Fire 2 beforehand, so I was keen on seeing where this admittedly forgotten series started. Some quick observations.

• Oh dear lord, there's no run button like the GBA version of BoF2 I played had, and it's very noticable! It makes the game really slow paced. It took me 29 and a half hours to beat it.
  • Some characters are just flat out better than others. 3 of your 8 members are essentially useless and should never be used in battles. 2 of them can be fused with someone else so they at least contribute something, but the 8th character? No chance, he's utter crap.
  • The translation may be actually competent (Square did the translation, not Capcpom), but the story is a bit bland and lets it down. It's not awful, it's just there. By comparison, BoF2 has a legitmately innovative story (for 1994, a lot of RPG's have ripped off it's big twist since) and hilariously bad translation.
  • Character designs are great, anthropormorphic animal party members are surprisingly rare in RPG's, which helps BoF stand out with it's party. The actual character personalities are meh, though.
  • It's nice to see multiple endings, but I couldn't figure out how to get the best ending for the life of me, so I had to look it up. Yeah, I never would have found what I needed without a guide. Amzingly enough, BoF2 was worse in this regard as not only is it's best ending hard to find, but it could be lost forever if you killed a certain boss.

It's a decent RPG and I had fun with it, but I'd only recommend this to the die-hard RPG enthusiast.

I also finished Super Metroid... again... but this time on Switch.

The Space Jump in this game will forever be unreliable. I actually find it easier to do constant wall jumps off of a single wall!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

Oh right, it's been such a hectic weekend what with Super Mario Kart NELeague and reviewing Link's Awakening that I forgot to ask @Vileplume2000 if he'd be available to carry on with Mario World tonight.

Short notice, I know, but I'm available for the rest of the day if you're up for it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Oh right, it's been such a hectic weekend what with Super Mario Kart NELeague and reviewing Link's Awakening that I forgot to ask @Vileplume2000 if he'd be available to carry on with Mario World tonight.

Short notice, I know, but I'm available for the rest of the day if you're up for it.

Cheers again for the invite! My weeks/weekends have also been kinda full! And don't have time tonight as well unfortunately.

Edited by Vileplume2000
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

@Glen-iI will be available tonight around 7:30-ish UK time if you want to continue Super Mario Super Funtime?

Sorry, afraid I'm not available until this Friday.

Just beat Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, with the best ending, although the question mark makes it feel like it's not. Props to anyone to beat it without saves states/rewind, not sure how you were meant to know the requirement to get the Goddess Bracelet, unless it was in the manual? Although a lot of deaths were caused by the rather siff physics I found.

On 15/09/2019 at 10:24 PM, Ugh first aid said:
On y second run I did kind of regret gettign the Goddess Bracelet so early because...well...it sucks...any ghouls and ghosts player knows that the dagger is by far the best weapon! ' ^ ' but alas... I learnt that the hard way...

I thought it was pretty good, it wrecked stuff and destroyed projectiles. ::shrug:

16 hours ago, Ike said:

Just beat Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, with the best ending, although the question mark makes it feel like it's not. Props to anyone to beat it without saves states/rewind, not sure how you were meant to know the requirement to get the Goddess Bracelet, unless it was in the manual? Although a lot of deaths were caused by the rather siff physics I found.

I thought it was pretty good, it wrecked stuff and destroyed projectiles. ::shrug:

The range is crap; and range is hugely important in this game.  Killing Firebrand/Red Arremer with it is a nightmare!

Good job on beating it though! It's a legit hard game :peace:

On 27-9-2019 at 1:40 PM, Glen-i said:

@Vileplume2000, just letting you know that I'm up for Mario World today or tomorrow.

Just let me know when you'll be up for that.

I had hoped I would have had some time yesterday evening but was home late due to family visits.

I have some time tonight though, although I fear I know your answer.

28 minutes ago, Blade said:

Any idea when the SNES controllers will be available to order?

Soon... we just don't know yet though, I was reading that they have sold out already in regions where they were on sale, this seems to be the US ones mainly.

I checked eBay and there are only US ones with the purple buttons for sale, so that would suggest that most of the European/UK SNES controllers haven't gone on sale yet.

They do seem to be quite reasonable for what they are, £26.99 per controller, maximum of four can be ordered per Nintendo Switch Online account and they look solid enough.

I'm just hoping that someone, somewhere will confirm for definite whether or not they can be used wired with the supplied USB cable instead of just charging, hopefully though.

Anyway, not long now. :peace:

I may get one actually.. I'd love to get the NES controllers, but I think their application outside of NES games is a bit too limited (although I wonder if Megaman 11 is playable). A SNES controller will be more useful in that regard.

4 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I had hoped I would have had some time yesterday evening but was home late due to family visits.

I have some time tonight though, although I fear I know your answer.

Yeah, sorry. It's cool though, there's always next week.

3 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I may get one actually.. I'd love to get the NES controllers, but I think their application outside of NES games is a bit too limited (although I wonder if Megaman 11 is playable). A SNES controller will be more useful in that regard.

The NES controller would be useless for MM11 because it uses the four face buttons and L/R, but the SNES controller would work perfectly!

BTW: If you already have a NES/SNES Classic Controller (from the NES/SNES classic consoles or the Wii), you might actually want to consider the 8bitdo GBros adapter instead...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Wireless-Nintendo-GameCube-Controllers/dp/B07JLF9PVG

716ytmcKfHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Lets you use your existing Wii classic controllers or GCN controllers on Switch; the buttons on the device itself also act as a Capture button and a Home button too!  I've got one of these and use it for my existing NES/SNES classic controllers; works perfectly!

Edited by Dcubed

23 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The NES controller would be useless for MM11 because it uses the four face buttons and L/R, but the SNES controller would work perfectly!

BTW: If you already have a NES/SNES Classic Controller (from the NES/SNES classic consoles or the Wii), you might actually want to consider the 8bitdo GBros adapter instead...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Wireless-Nintendo-GameCube-Controllers/dp/B07JLF9PVG

716ytmcKfHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Lets you use your existing Wii classic controllers or GCN controllers on Switch; the buttons on the device itself also act as a Capture button and a Home button too!  I've got one of these and use it for my existing NES/SNES classic controllers; works perfectly!

I used it to play ALttP using the SNES controller from the SNES Mini. Works great.

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

I used it to play ALttP using the SNES controller from the SNES Mini. Works great.

I can't be the only thinking that playing ALttP with the SNES Mini controller on a Switch is a tad pointless?

Shut up! I know I played Super Metroid again!

11 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I can't be the only thinking that playing ALttP with the SNES Mini controller on a Switch is a tad pointless?

Shut up! I know I played Super Metroid again!

Pointless? No. Redundant? Probably. I mean I could have played it on my actual SNES.

The Wireless SNES Controller For Switch Unlocks Super Mario World Sound Effects

The SNES Collection for Nintendo Switch Online subscribers has a lot of fancy built-in features such as the ability to rewind games, re-order games, play online with friends and save your progress at any time. If you were lucky enough to get your hands on one of the wireless Super Nintendo Controllers though, you may or may not have noticed one extra little thing.

When using this controller within the SNES app game menu, the standard sound effects you hear will be replaced with ones from Super Mario World. While it's nothing too crazy, it's perhaps one extra reason why you should consider picking up the new version of this gamepad.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/09/the_wireless_snes_controller_for_switch_unlocks_super_mario_world_sound_effects