NEurope
MindFreak

Nintendo Direct 04/09/2019, 11 pm

HD Shulk!! Incredible!

I only played the first Xenoblade very recently, in late 2017, but I absolutely adored it. Will be great to be able to pick up a physical copy of the definitive edition.

Ummm Xenoblade didn’t look very “HD” 😂

Please don’t sleep on Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I reviewed the game back in the day for the site. One of the very best Wii U games and a fantastic RPG.

I'm disappointed by the fact that everything that was great is a remake / rerelease... but I’ll gladly go through TMS again and I’ve never played the original Xenoblade. SNES was the icing on the cake. Zelda is going to be great. Luigi’s Mansion is shaping up nicely and genuinely looks like a solid sequel.

No NMH3, no Metroid, no Bayo 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m torn. 

Oh, HOME RUN MODE IN SMASH!!!!! Best direct ever!!!1!

• Haha 2

I feel so bad for Sakurai, that man is never going to get to rest is he?

He has failed on every level if Waluigi isn't one of the remaining DLC fighters though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly surprised they are porting Tokyo Mirage Sessions, didn't think they would bother. Wonder if the cut content is back in. That game is one of the reasons my Wii U is still hooked up. The fact you can preload now and the game isn't out until January is a bit hmm.

Sakurai’s Smash Bros direct was excellent, and he comes across so humble & genuine.  His comment on buying an X-Box was great and makes sense for him to be repaying the favour given by Microsoft in allowing Banjo in the game.  It was also nice to hear him praising Grant Kirkhope, who has provided so many memorable video game tunes in the past.

While it’ll be an enormous amount of work, I’m so glad they’ve decided to give us more DLC characters. There are still so many popular characters that could be added (plus Waluigi 😁) that this will certainly help.

Finally, how good is Sakurai at using two controllers at once!?? That ‘two-player’ Sandbag demo was ridiculous!

• Like 3

I’ma just gonna point out that Tokyo Mirage Sessions is getting a Switch port before Super Mario 3D World...

... let that bizzaro sink in...

All in all, a really good Direct, but this year it wasn't as strong as what we saw at E3. Super Mario Odyssey/Sunshine or whatever at the end would've been perfect. It seems they are letting this year's four Mario (and Luigi) games sell for a while instead, which is wise.

The highlight for me was unexpectedly the announcement of new Smash DLC characters. I wonder how many we will get...surely it will be between 3 and 5.

I will cry bloody murder if they fix Xenoblade’s jumping animations...

They are LEGENDARY!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

content-4-35966-nintendodirect04092019roundupbanner.jpg

Nintendo Direct 04/09/2019 Roundup

Full press release formatted for ease of reading and both videos embedded in the article. :peace:

That was quite the showing, the highlights for me were the SNES games, Banjo-Kazooie available now, Terry Bogard in Smash and even more characters?!?

What a time to be a Nintendo fan, a Switch owner and even a gamer. :D

Right, time to sell some more stuff, to pay for future stuff! :p

• Thanks 1

Like I suspected.. That was absolutely dreadful for my wallet.

I'll post about it later.

• Haha 1

Tokyo Mirage Sessions with new content!? Sign me the fuck up!

Secretly the best game on WiiU.

• Like 1

Y'all better buy TMS♯FE this time! I know I'm doing my part — gonna buy another 8 copies or so like I did with the Wii U game, I reckon. :grin:

Man, this Direct was just absolutely jam-packed with greatness... Some really amazing months ahead for the Switch, that's for sure!

• Like 1

That was a very decent Direct. To me, it lacked a litlte bit of oomph but that's just my taste in games along with the fact that I feel sad that I'm never going to play all the ones I want to play!

Not a bad Direct at all. Plenty of variety there and some port announcements that I'm more than happy with.

I'll happily jump back into AC 4: Black Flag again as I loved that game, less for the assassination stuff and more for just getting to be a pirate. Never got round to playing Rogue so that'll be good to get even more swashbuckling times. I'll be singing sea shanties rather than Christmas songs this December it seems.

Getting Divinity Original Sin 2 DE on the Switch is a huge get. Provided the port has been done well (and I'd imagine it should considering how well Larian did with the other console versions) that really is a must play game, especially if you like that older western RPG style of game. And Steam cross save integration is a massive thing too. I never did finish my playthrough but I'd happily jump in again because it's just so damn good though if I do pick it up, nothing else will be getting played on my Switch when I pick it up.

Deadly Premonition is a strange one. I remember the whole thing about Destructoid giving the game 10/10 back in the day and people flying off the handle. I tried the game but it was so janky that I couldn't push forward with much more of it.  But i did follow up and get the rest of the story which was really interesting. So it'll be interesting to see where they go with a sequel and whether that is less janky.

A remaster of Xenoblade Chronicles is an interesting one. With it already being ported to the 3DS I imagine people are wondering why that game and not X but maybe that'll come later. I don't think I can play through those 100 odd hours again but for those who never had the chance definitely do as it's fantastic.

Beyond that, I suspected there would be more fighters for Smash, was just a matter of when they'd announce it really. Animal Crossing looks great (and I still get angry seeing that damn Tom Nook, stealing my bells!!!). Jedi Knight 2 is a nice surprise, been a long time since I've played it so happy to see it, and Star Wars, resurface away from EA. As I say, plenty there for everyone but perhaps some people expecting remasters of certain games may be disappointed.

2 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

A remaster of Xenoblade Chronicles is an interesting one. With it already being ported to the 3DS I imagine people are wondering why that game and not X but maybe that'll come later. I don't think I can play through those 100 odd hours again but for those who never had the chance definitely do as it's fantastic.

I think the original game makes more sense over X. X wasn't received that well by a lot of people, whereas the original game is universally loved. Plus, while the original game played well, it was stuck running on older hardware and looks very rough by today's standards. It's very much in need of a new coat of paint. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if X does show up at some point in the Switch's life cycle. They seem to be just working their way through the catalogue of exclusive games. I'm still shocked the Pikmin 3 hasn't been announced yet. Apparently that has been ready to go for a while now.

7 hours ago, killthenet said:

HD Shulk!! Incredible!

You do realise Smash WiiU happened a while back, right?

Just watched it during the commute. Incredible the amount of stuff I would happily play - really does seem a world away from the dark days of the GameCube. 

Return of the Obra Dinn is the one I'm most excited about. I've heard great things about it, but I really dislike playing things on the PC. 

23 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Does EA have anything to do with the Jedi Knight ports?

Apparently it's a collaboration between Lucasfilm and Aspyr so it doesn't look like it. Probably for the best given EA's efforts with the IP.

The sequel, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is also coming to Switch (and PS4) next year as well so double the non-EA Star Wars goodness.

Edit: As an aside, Lucas Pope has said that Return of the Obra Dinn is coming to all platforms this autumn (PS4 and Xbox One as well as Switch) with Warp Digital being the team who has helped make that happen.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Thanks 2