NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Yakuza 7 (PS4 2020)

New trailer and release date info: XBO, Windows 10, PS4 and Steam on 13th Nov; XSX in November; and PS5 "soon". 

Don't know if I'll be picking it up on Day 1 (still got Yakuza 4, 5, and 6 to enjoy going through first, as well as Judgement), but very excited for when I do get around to playing this. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Man, I really wish this was launching a bit sooner (September or October would've been ideal) it's coming out way too close to Cyberpunk 2077 for my liking. :hmm: Reckon it's going to get completely lost in the hype for that game.

Coming to Series S and X on November 10th, what's going on with the other versions now seems...a bit shaky.

From Gematsu:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon will launch for Xbox Series platforms on November 10, publisher Sega and developer Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio announced.

Sega previously announced that Yakuza: Like a Dragon will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam and the Microsoft Store on November 13, and for PlayStation 5 at a later date. However, Sega’s messaging today reads, “Yakuza: Like a Dragon will also launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Windows 10, and PlayStation 5. Please stay tuned for more release information on all platforms in the coming weeks.” When asked if those versions were still due out on November 13, a Sega representative would only refer to the quoted text. This is also despite the Xbox One and Xbox Series versions of the game being part of the same physical edition SKU, which would imply a simultaneous release.

We knew already that the PS5 version wasn't supposed to be coming at launch due to some level of next gen exclusivity, but the muddiness over current gen platforms is pretty odd. Hope we get some clarity soon, because them not just confirming the dates are unchanged in that statement is just weird.

Could be nothing, but maybe Xbox have agreed a new type of deal? 

Edited by Julius
  • Weird 1

PS5 version releasing on 2nd March 2021, with a free upgrade available for those with the digital PS4 version when the PS5 release comes. 

I'm guessing it's just the wording of it about the digital version getting it immediately (an option to have it preloaded maybe?), because I have to imagine it'll be the same day for the PS4 physical version to get an upgrade too. Surely?

UPDATE: it would seem not. Official press release puts it pretty plainly: 

SEGA is happy to announce that Yakuza: Like a Dragon will be launching on PlayStation®5 in the West on March 2, 2021, following the game's PlayStation®4 launch on November 10, 2020. Once players purchase the digital PS4™ version of Yakuza: Like a Dragon at PlayStation®Store they are able to download the PS5™ version at no extra cost when it launches on March 2, 2021. The PS5™ version of Yakuza: Like a Dragon will also be available standalone on March 2, 2021 for $59.99, with commensurate pricing in EMEA.

Huh. Personally I'm in no rush (still got to play 5 and 6, and I want to try out Judgement, before this) but that seems a bit odd. 

UPDATE 2: insanity. 

Would be nice if he gave a source, but it's the senior editor of Gameblog over in France, so I guess only a tiny pinch of salt? Still, that press release is a bit of a mess! 

Edited by Julius

Okay, clarified: physical owners will also get the same option to upgrade. Save data will not be transferrable between PS4 and PS5 versions. 

Not too surprising, but why didn't they just say this from the offset? So strange! 

Would it really be that hard to transfer save data? Given that it's an RPG with probable New Game + option, seems a bit disappointing.

21 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Would it really be that hard to transfer save data? Given that it's an RPG with probable New Game + option, seems a bit disappointing.

The save data can still be used I believe on the PS5 by using the PS4 version through backwards compatibility (so just boosted performance I guess), but I do agree that it's strange. 

Part of me wants to say they're going to be treated as different applications and potentially have different trophy lists, like with Spider-Man Remastered, because I really have no idea what else it could be. 

13 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Not sure what to do now with my PS4 preorder.

I had been thinking about sticking a PS4 version pre-order in, or at least picking up a copy after launch, just for the boosted performance when I do get around to it, but I'm too sure at this moment either. 

It's a super weird thing but what might sway me over to picking up a PS4 copy, even if I end up playing the PS5 upgrade version, is the fact that it was originally a PS4 title, and that you could then have 0 - 7 (and Judgment?) all in the same PS4 cases on the shelf, rather than this becoming the black sheep? 

Been checking out some of the preview footage, don’t think I’m going to be able to delay picking this game up after all. :hehe: 

I'd forgotten again about my preorder until The Game Collection charged me for it last night. I guess they made my decision for me whether to keep it or not.

33 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I'd forgotten again about my preorder until The Game Collection charged me for it last night. I guess they made my decision for me whether to keep it or not.

Hehehe! :grin: Don’t they usually charge on dispatch though? 

3 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Hehehe! :grin: Don’t they usually charge on dispatch though? 

They do unless you the preorder hits 3 months with nothing happening, then they charge at that point.

• Thanks 1

Db8QBbw.jpg

ShopTo delivers early again. Wasn't expecting this untill Monday at the earliest :)

I know what I'm playing for the rest of the month.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Only a couple of hours in and this has already ticked the usual Yakuza boxes. :cool:

• Drama  
  • Violence  
  • Humour  
  • Wackiness  ✓✓✓ :heh: 

It does appear to start out very slow compared to other games in the series, but I guess it works (and makes sense) given the shift in gameplay.

I’m playing with the English dub, and while it does indeed seem strange, I do get the feeling it’s also helping me to follow the story a bit better, so I shall stick with it now and then check out the Japanese version on my 2nd play through.

Anyway, the game looks really great, easily the best a Yakuza game has ever looked. And I’m also happy to report that it’s very well optimised on PC, something I was slightly worried about beforehand but obviously shouldn’t have been. 

Can’t wait to get back to it! :bouncy:

• Thanks 4

I still haven’t got my copy. First The Game Collection claimed there was another one of their supplier issues (amazing how often you hear that from them on game launches) and then they claimed they sent it yesterday but it didn’t arrive today. No dispatch email either.

• Sad 1

Man, I really wanna play this now but I'm still only 3 games deep in the main series and I'm worried plot points that I've yet to see may crop up here. Plus, there's no normal box edition yet. :p 

34 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Man, I really wanna play this now but I'm still only 3 games deep in the main series and I'm worried plot points that I've yet to see may crop up here. Plus, there's no normal box edition yet. :p 

Same thing with me, having not played up until the more recent Yakuza entries I'm going to have to force myself to be patient. And yeah, even though I'll be waiting for that next gen upgrade in March, I'm after that PS4 version so I've got them all in a similar case.

I don't understand why SEGA insist on putting out Yakuza in steelbooks at launch, but I guess it's a great way to teach me patience :laughing:

• Haha 1

Ear to ear grin on my face playing this last night! :grin: I already knew there were a lot of references to...

Spoiler

...Dragon Quest in the game (from various trailers and stuff) but wasn’t prepared for other games getting in on the fun too, especially not the one that showed up yesterday in a surprisingly lengthy and hilarious parody, which actually ends up being a significant aspect of the main game! :hehe: 

Not going to mention the franchise in question to avoid potentially spoiling it for anyone, but let’s just say it was unexpected and bloody brilliant! :D Also, it’s a shame Yakuza doesn’t release on Nintendo platforms, as many more players would’ve got a kick out of it there. ;)

Laugh out loud funny! :laughing: 

It’s still early days of course, and I probably say this about every new Yakuza game :heh: but I reckon this could be the funniest one in the entire series!
Ichiban is such a fantastic character and his personality is just perfect for setting up entertaining moments. Really makes you want to keep playing just to see what he says or does next! :D 

Man, I really hope Like a Dragon does well for Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio. I know a lot of people will have probably been put off by the new direction (as was I initially) but it’s becoming increasingly clear that the series was in need of a gameplay shakeup and that the change was actually a very smart move. :cool: 

I’m someone who’s never been massively into the turn based RPG genre, but based on what I’ve experienced so far with this, I would happily play many more Yakuza games produced in this style! :) 

Oh- I also realised last night that if I connect my DS4 to the PC via USB cable instead of Bluetooth, the game actually reconfigures itself and displays the PlayStation button symbols! My ability to perform Karaoke is saved! :yay:

Edited by RedShell
Posting on mobile sucks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I almost screwed up the business management when I started, it seemed really confusing with all the green and red numbers but I have a handle on it now. Only hire the employees you need to staff your establishments, you'll be wasting money if you just hire someone without assigning them to a business otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thankfully the game just arrived. Now I just have to see how long I can stop myself playing it 😆

• Like 1

20 hours ago, martinist said:

I almost screwed up the business management when I started, it seemed really confusing with all the green and red numbers but I have a handle on it now. Only hire the employees you need to staff your establishments, you'll be wasting money if you just hire someone without assigning them to a business otherwise.

When does that show up then? :hmm: Is it linked to a sub story or the main story? I’ve not unlocked it yet, anyway.  

Did open up weapon/armour crafting yesterday though, and got my 4th party member. More chances for combo attacks in battle now! :cool: 

Speaking of battles, I’m loving the battle theme: :yay:

Good job too considering how much you end up listening to it! :hehe: 

19 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Thankfully the game just arrived. Now I just have to see how long I can stop myself playing it 😆

Didn’t last long. Started this morning 😆

Dunno if they’ve been more ambitious in this game or it’s the fact that it’s cross gen but I’m definitely noticing more chugging in places or pauses at the end of section where I started to worry it had crashed before it loaded the next scene.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

Dunno if they’ve been more ambitious in this game or it’s the fact that it’s cross gen but I’m definitely noticing more chugging in places or pauses at the end of section where I started to worry it had crashed before it loaded the next scene.

There’s definitely more going on with this game, yeah. What are you playing on, base PS4?

I remember Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 2 didn’t run particularly well on there either, and this is the same engine being pushed even harder.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this