NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Yakuza 7 (PS4 2020)

This was announced earlier this morning. It will be released in Japan January 2020 and then later in the year for the US and EU.

Apparently the battle system is now turn based. :bowdown::yay:

• Thanks 2

Hmmmm. It’ll be interesting to see how the new battle system works but I’m already a bit worried that it’ll slow things down again. We only just got a better version in 6 and Kiwami 2 where it moved in and out of fights more fluidly.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Apparently the battle system is now turn based. :bowdown::yay:

ezkjeYM.gif

• Haha 2

Wow! They're actually finally doing something new after around a dozen games? Good for them!

I suspect that the fanbase will probably scream, send death threats and cause the game to bomb at retail though; so no doubt SEGA will be forced to go back to the same gameplay they've peddled for the last 15 odd years, because 12+ games in the exact same style clearly isn't enough.

Edited by Dcubed

As long as I can still smash a bike into someone's face, I'll be happy.

Edit: well this is dumb...wanted to edit but made a second post. Sorry.

Edited by drahkon

22 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

so no doubt SEGA will be forced to go back to the same gameplay they've peddled for the last 15 odd years, because 12+ games in the exact same style clearly isn't enough.

It works for Pokémon, so... :p

Anyway, as long as I can still smash a bike into someone's face, I'll be happy.

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Wow! They're actually finally doing something new after around a dozen games? Good for them!

I suspect that the fanbase will probably scream, send death threats and cause the game to bomb at retail though; so no doubt SEGA will be forced to go back to the same gameplay they've peddled for the last 15 odd years, because 12+ games in the exact same style clearly isn't enough.

Yeah, truth be told the formula was starting to wear pretty thin, but I would definitely prefer if they found other ways to mix it up than going turn based. The combat is one of my favourite things about the Yakuza series and it's not as if we're spoilt for choice when it comes to quality 3D brawlers these days, meanwhile there seems to be more turn based stuff than ever! ::shrug:

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

As long as I can still smash a bike into someone's face, I'll be happy.

I'd like to say the same thing myself, but if I have to choose "smash bike into face" from a drop-down menu, then no, I won't be happy. :heh:

• Thanks 1

The combat is one of my favourite things about the Yakuza series and it's not as if we're spoilt for choice when it comes to quality 3D brawlers these days, meanwhile there seems to be more turn based stuff than ever!

I think the opposite in fact, there are a number of turn based games (e.g. Final Fantasy, Tales) that have made the transition to action battles and not gone back. This makes a nice change.

After the amount of combat in Judgement (getting really sick of getting texts about the Keihin Gang), a turn based Yakuza 7 would be a nice change of pace. 

The new location also looks great. Or at least new for me, not sure if it appears in Yakuza 3, 4 or 5. 

The only negative I can think of from the announcement, wouldn't it be better to build it for the PS5? If the city is 3 times the size of Kamarucho, performance might be a bit crap.

9 hours ago, Dcubed said:

You know, the gaming community absolutely does suck when this kind of stuff happens but what is also annoying is people doing what you’ve done here and preemptively got annoyed about complaints people may have and predict the extreme response. It puts people on the defensive immediately if they are unhappy.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Anyway, back to Yakuza discussion.

Is this the same character that was revealed not long after 6 came out as the next protagonist? I think they said at the time he would be in the next Yakuza game but I wasn’t sure if that one morphed into Judgement.

On 29/08/2019 at 9:23 PM, Happenstance said:

Is this the same character that was revealed not long after 6 came out as the next protagonist? I think they said at the time he would be in the next Yakuza game but I wasn’t sure if that one morphed into Judgement.

Yep, from the old thread about their new project which turned out to be this game:

Edited by Julius

I'll put this in a spoiler. Here's just one of the many characters you can summon into battle. It plays out like a cross between an anime and Final Fantasy.

Spoiler

Amazing! :bowdown:

• Haha 3

IT'S HAPPENING!!

9mFhuTv.gif

Edited by martinist
it's was originally it

So I gave the demo of this a go a couple of days ago (Asian version) and have played through it a few times since then (way too much in fact :hehe:) anyway, I am super happy to report that I was completely and utterly wrong to be upset about the change to the combat system. It is amazing! :bouncy:

Spoiler

While it is indeed turn-based now, there seem to be many dynamic elements to it and as a result it very much retains the feel of the real-time fights from previous games.

You can reduce damage received by pressing X with the correct timing during a enemy attack, these have varying amounts of hits/complexity so while it's easy enough to do with the more basic goons, higher level enemies require rhythm game like button inputs to successfully mitigate the most damage. Enemy and player attacks can also miss or be interrupted by parts of the terrain or even by other characters being in the way, likewise if you initiate a standard attack near a sign or bike etc. it gets used as a weapon for that turn. :D And if you manage to hit an enemy into the path of one of your party members they will also get a cheeky hit in automatically, this can sometimes occur multiple times, which is super satisfying.

There's also an incentive to choose your next attack quickly during fights, as doing so while an enemy is still down will result in the following hit being critical, adding a nice sense of pace to the battle system. Then of course you have the special attacks which require MP to use, these are basically your heat moves complete with the exact same quick time events from other games in the series. So yeah, definitely nothing lost with those. ;)

Having said all that, it's not perfect and I do have a bit of a gripe with the camera system. When the viewpoint shifts between characters during the enemy attack phase it can sometimes pan into a position where you can no longer properly see the attacking enemy, or the character from your party that's currently being targeted. This makes it pretty much impossible to react to that particular attack. It doesn't seem to happen too often, but it's obviously annoying when it does.

Outside of combat it appears to be Yakuza as usual, running around doing substories, shopping, minigames, it's all there. :) And speaking of minigames...

Hell yes! :yay:

Finally, here's a moment that made me laugh out loud, something a turn-based game has never done before:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

3cb8Ak9.jpg

Day one! :cool:
I just hope the now politically correct Sony don't mess with the Western localisation. :hmm:
But anyway, Yakuza 7... HYPE! :bouncy:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The launch window is at the start of next-gen, from the Series X third party showcase. Guessing it will be day and date with PlayStation?

More news soon :grin:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Big update: coming November 2020 to PS4, Xbox One, and PC (Windows/Steam), Series X as a launch title this Holiday, and coming to PS5 with an upgrade at a later date. 

There will also be an English dubbed version, which includes George Takei. 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2

Wow. Nonstop goosebumps watching that trailer! :o

Also, the lip syncing for the English dub looks fantastic! :cool: Can't wait to get my hands on this game. :bouncy:

• Like 1

English dub does sound good. Not sure I’ll use it though, so used to playing the series in Japanese at this point.

6 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

English dub does sound good. Not sure I’ll use it though, so used to playing the series in Japanese at this point.

Yeah, I’d definitely do the same if it was gonna be Kiryu and Co., but seeing as it’s a new cast/fresh start (and with how great it seems in that trailer) I reckon I’ll check it out.

• Like 1

It does seem weird them having American accents. 

Sign in to follow this