NEurope
bob

Marvel's Phase 4

23 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Just finished Moon Knight. I thought it was one of the weaker MCU series and kind of declined after the first two episodes but it had some good performances and nice bit of spectacle at times.

I'm halfway through it but I'm not feeling it at all. I like the lighter side Steven brings to the show but that's about it. 

5 hours ago, MindFreak said:

and they haven't set up an interesting, overlapping story arc this time around, at least not yet.

This is my issue with the way it's going at the moment. I don't see any long term story being laid out. The original lot, you had introduction of the main heroes, building to the Avengers, which led to Thanos, which then built to the amazing climax with Infinity War and Endgame. I just don't see anything like that happening at the moment.

8 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

This is my issue with the way it's going at the moment. I don't see any long term story being laid out. The original lot, you had introduction of the main heroes, building to the Avengers, which led to Thanos, which then built to the amazing climax with Infinity War and Endgame. I just don't see anything like that happening at the moment.

Yup. We are getting various bits and pieces from end scenes but nothing is really make sense at the moment and there doesn't seem to be anything connecting them either.

• Like 2

On 06/05/2022 at 9:09 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Yup. We are getting various bits and pieces from end scenes but nothing is really make sense at the moment and there doesn't seem to be anything connecting them either.

So I haven't seen Multiverse of Madness yet, and while I'm still planning to, just wanted to chime in as I've been feeling the same. While I've enjoyed Phase Four so far, it's definitely been with me taking a step back and just viewing these as nothing more than popcorn flicks, and nothing has been at the spectacular "YOU NEED TO WATCH THIS!" level to me so far outside of the second half of No Way Home. 

Everything I've watched so far of Phase Four has felt like a prologue to me: we're getting new sets of characters introduced (Shang-Chi, Moon Knight, The Eternals) while we're checking back in on the goings-on of already established heroes or getting their stories bookended (Black Widow, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Falcon & The Winter Soldier, and Thor is definitely giving me that vibe from it's trailer), and cool, they're ramping things up in terms of content (number of character and number of shows), but there hasn't really been a ramp up in terms of obstacles to overcome because it's basically been a check-in/introduction exercise. 

Because of this, we've ended up with five films and four shows (I still need to get back to What If? and Moon Knight, but I wasn't particularly feeling either) with, like you say, very little in the way of connective tissue. Compare this to Phase One, where we only had five films before the first Avengers movie - heck, there were only four between Avengers and Age of Ultron! - and you really start to get the feeling that they've gone for quantity over quality. Before going to watch Multiverse of Madness I want to watch What If?, but it's genuinely starting to feel like homework; I remember coming out of Black Widow and my friends who hadn't seen Falcon & The Winter Soldier being absolutely lost in the post-credits scene. 

While I thought it was clear from film titles (Multiverse of Madness) and the events of Loki and No Way Home, despite all touching on the multiverse, they don't really seem like they're connecting much (in No Way Home it's only a factor because of Peter not shutting up, it's not like there's some overarching threat present), and I don't think an introduction of a multiverse necessarily grants higher stakes, because that also comes with the burden of doing something with those other realities. It gets very messy very quickly, and I dread to think what exactly their plan is for an Avengers film with something like the multiverse at stake. 

We'll see what happens, I guess - I think it's obvious they've got a plan, but they're being extremely coy to the point that I question if quality is being sacrificed. The MCU will make bank regardless, but it's a growing sentiment that I'm seeing - it's definitely how I felt after Endgame - that there's just a bit too much which is saying too little in their films right now.

I'll probably catch Multiverse of Madness one of the coming weekends and look forward to discussing that film once I do, but I didn't feel like it was worth rushing out to, and I've honestly felt like this through much of Phase Four so far (again, bar No Way Home). 

::shrug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I rushed to see Multiverse of Madness because I was afraid that it would be spoiled to me in the same way that No Way Home was spoiled immediately after being shown in the cinemas. But fortunately for others, there isn't much to spoil about Mom in terms of what's to come, and that disappointed me a bit. 

There are multiple Marvel movies and shows on the horizon but I don't really feel I need to watch them. What If season 2 is probably the only one, perhaps Loki season 2. 

Watched DS2:MOM last night.

Spoiler

I really enjoyed it. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. After Spider-man, i think a lot of people were expecting a similar cameo filled romp through loads of different universes, but it was a much smaller scale. Indeed, I was surprised how short the film was, and how simple the plot was. Not necessarily a bad thing, it was simple, but well executed. 

Due to the director being a horror director originally, it felt much more like an old fashioned horror film. You find out who the bad guy is early on, and the film is simply finding a way to defeat them. There were lots of horror elements scattered around, and quite a few gory deaths, which was a real surprise. I loved the way they had Scarlet Witch basically solo the whole of one universe's equivalent of the Avengers to show how strong she was. 

My favourite bit of the whole film though, was Zombie Strange with his cape of death. I almost punched the air when that happened. Straight after Dr/ Strange's line about the dreamwalking recipient not needing to be alive, I twigged where they were going, and it was a great nod to Raimi's Evil dead series. Dude just couldn't resist putting zombies in a Marvel film.

The other thing that surprised me was how different it was to the first Dr. Strange.  I kind of missed the huge, mind-bending, psychedelic magic battles with folding reality in on itself. Instead, most of the sorcerers fought by using fizzy orange lasers, which felt a bit cheap. Same with Scarlet Witch. She has the ability to change reality itself, and all she did was fire red lasers at people. 

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. I would give it 8/10.

• Thanks 1

Looks ok. I'll definitely give it a try.

6 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Looks fun, I'll be giving it a watch.

That's how I see it as well. Can't be any worse than Moon Knight. :p I really need to get back to that and finish watching the last few episodes.

• Like 1

I wonder if they'll explain why Bruce Banner gets several times larger when he becomes the Hulk, whereas she only seems to change colour.

5 minutes ago, bob said:

I wonder if they'll explain why Bruce Banner gets several times larger when he becomes the Hulk, whereas she only seems to change colour.

Eh? She gets larger as well.

Not to the same scale as the Hulk though, she just becomes a buff woman.

5 minutes ago, bob said:
7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Not to the same scale as the Hulk though, she just becomes a buff woman.

It's a bit bigger than a buff woman but still smaller than the Hulk. In the comics she gets it from a blood transfusion from Bruce so I expect it's just explained as a lower level exposure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

It's a bit bigger than a buff woman but still smaller than the Hulk. In the comics she gets it from a blood transfusion from Bruce so I expect it's just explained as a lower level exposure.

She never went into full berserk mode either, did she? Everytime she was in a comic I read or a cartoon I watched she was always of sound mind.

10 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

She never went into full berserk mode either, did she? Everytime she was in a comic I read or a cartoon I watched she was always of sound mind.

It's only in the last 3 or 4 years I think she's switched to a more savage hulk yeah.

Here's a shot with both versions.

She-Hulk-Fight-800x400.webp

• Thanks 1

A Daredevil TV series is in the works for Disney+:

Bet he didn't see that coming :p

(who am I kidding, this was inevitable, especially after the Netflix show was moved to Disney+)

Edited by Julius