NEurope
bob

Marvel's Phase 4

46 minutes ago, Happenstance said:
Spoiler

I don't think I've commenten on it before here, but this is exactly why the Jamie Foxx thing earlier excited me, excatly because it opened the door for others and the whole spider-verse thing. There are rumours both Andrew Garfield and Tobey McGuire will appear as well.I'm personally hoping for a post-credit scene where we will get Miles Morales from Into the spider-verse (in cartoon form) to appear. Or even better, Spider-Ham.

• Like 1

Spoiler

What is it with Spider-Man and cramming in as many characters as possible? I'm hoping they can pull it off and history doesn't repeat itself.

4 minutes ago, Ike said:
  Spider-Man spoilers(?) (Hide contents)

What is it with Spider-Man and cramming in as many characters as possible? I'm hoping they can pull it off and history doesn't repeat itself.

Spoiler

I’ve got more faith in this one. Dr Strange makes sense with the multiple universe stuff, the Spider-men, MJ & Gwen and villains make sense for Spiderverse and Matt Murdock makes sense with what happened at the end of Far From Home.

A lot of news coming out of the Disney Investor Day meeting. This is insane. 

Kevin Feige also reiterated that Black Panther will not be recast and they will continue the story in Wakanda with the character's stories they have already begun telling. 

Edited by Julius

For fuck's sake. what's Disney doing. Just like Star Wars.. Even if everything's good (which is unlikely), it's just fucking too much. I'm not going to get Disney+ just to increase my backlog with tons of shit.

Looking forward to the films though, cool to see Ms Marvel in Captain Marvel even though I'm almost certainly not going to watch the show, and also looking forward to seeing The Fantactic Four for the first time, as I've never seen anything about them.

Edited by Sméagol

Christ on a stick they know how to milk it don't they? Will wait to see what's good before deciding what to stream. But honestly could give everything a miss but Love & Thunder.

What If is too spacey for me, may give that a miss.

Falcon and the Winter Solider looks cool, might watch it

WandaVision is really interesting so will probably watch that.

Loki is also quite interesting, so could also see myself watch that.

May watch Moon Knight but I don't know anything about the character so it'll need good reviews. '

As for the rest, will probably give it a miss unless they gather great reviews.

On 04/01/2021 at 7:58 PM, Happenstance said:

It looks so weird. Kinda excited to see what happens with the story. I have a month left of free Disney Plus (thanks Fortnite) so I'll be starting this on there. Disney Plus is kinda garbage now that Mandalorian has finished though, so I'll have to find other ways to finish it, if decent.

1 minute ago, Mr_Odwin said:

It looks so weird. Kinda excited to see what happens with the story. I have a month left of free Disney Plus (thanks Fortnite) so I'll be starting this on there. Disney Plus is kinda garbage now that Mandalorian has finished though, so I'll have to find other ways to finish it, if decent.

I think they've announced enough Marvel and Star Wars stuff for me now to keep me interested enough to continue with the sub after my free O2 time runs out in a few months.

Not sure I'd call a service that has all the content from the two biggest franchises in the world, Marvel and Star Wars + all of Pixar, Disney, Simpsons, documentaries etc all for £6/month as 'garbage' :laughing:  but I guess if you're not constantly watching stuff on it then it's not too useful in between original series.

Not really a Marvel fan but Wandavision looks interesting, seems very different to the usual superhero stuff.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Not sure I'd call a service that has all the content from the two biggest franchises in the world, Marvel and Star Wars + all of Pixar, Disney, Simpsons, documentaries etc all for £6/month as 'garbage' :laughing:  but I guess if you're not constantly watching stuff on it then it's not too useful in between original series.

Not really a Marvel fan but Wandavision looks interesting, seems very different to the usual superhero stuff.

I should rephrase, garbage for me. I want new stuff (original series) that's interesting to me, not just access to stuff that I've seen before.

• Like 2

Just watched the first 2 episodes of WandaVision. They certainly commit to the bit with this show. It’s very cheesy but the underlying mystery of what’s going on really helps. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

• Like 1

Something I thought was amazing.

Spoiler

It's all structured like a classic sitcom, right to the use of cameras. You get used to it quite quickly.

Then when something goes wrong, it immediately changes to more modern techniques for dramatic angles. Because of how the episode had been until that point, the change is very noticeable and really adds to the eeriness of it. It's wonderfully done and quite unique to this show.

I have seen some comments where people are surprised about Paul Bettany's comedic timing. Those people need to see the fantastic A Knight's Tale

Although for episode 2 in particular....

Spoiler

He must have watched some Blackadder for that - he came across a lot like Hugh Laurie. 

I'll be watching Wandavision in the next couple of days, and as someone who's not really a Marvel fan is there anything I need to know about the characters or setting that'll help me get through the series without being completely lost? Any brief insight would be great :bowdown:

All I know is Vision is Iron Man's ex-AI somehow made walking and talking and who *spoiler* in Endgame. 

I watched the first three episodes myself (the only ones out at the moment), but since the Disney+ month is coming to an end, I'll take a break from it until my household collectively decides to get another month.

@Ronnie I'd say the only required watching is Infinity War + Endgame (for the reasons you already stated), but Age of Ultron may help a lot, for the added context (that film is the main source of backstory for both Wanda and Vision, so that's convenient). Here is a summed up version of their backstory, in case you don't want to watch it:

Spoiler

Wanda and her twin brother Pietro are orphans from the fictional war-torn nation of Sokovia (somewhere in Eastern Europe). Their parents died in a bombardment sponsored by Stark Industries (they literally saw the Stark logo on a shell before it exploded). Shortly after, they were captured (or volunteered? Details were unclear) by a Hydra group that experimented on them until the twins gained superpowers (Pietro got super speed, while Wanda got... magic, basically). The Hydra unit would eventually be raided and terminated by the Avengers, but the twins escaped after bamboozling the heroes with their powers.

Meanwhile, Tony Stark created Ultron by using his helper AI ("Jarvis" at the time) as a base. Ultron quickly rebels and severely damages Jarvis before running away. Ultron comes up with a plan to make an indestructible Vibranium body for himself, and to this end, he locates Wanda and Pietro to join forces in taking down the Avengers (they all hate everything Stark). After building the body, Tony Stark interrupts Ultron just in time to upload what remains of Jarvis instead, and thus Vision is born.

Ultron and the Avengers ultimately go to war with each other for a final battle, the twins realise Ultron is evil and turn on him, the capital of Sokovia ends up being destroyed, Pietro is gunned down by an Ultron bot while saving civilians, and Vision ultimately deals the final blow on Ultron. Both Vision and Wanda join the Avengers soon afterwards.

I'm not sure how much of that will be relevant, but I think I got all the important bits

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'll be watching Wandavision in the next couple of days, and as someone who's not really a Marvel fan is there anything I need to know about the characters or setting that'll help me get through the series without being completely lost? Any brief insight would be great :bowdown:

All I know is Vision is Iron Man's ex-AI somehow made walking and talking and who *spoiler* in Endgame. 

I'll probably get into it myself to, I can watch it on my brother's account. Seems to be more interesting than I initially thought.

I suspect, to answer your question, we need to wait until the show's over however. Though I also suspect they will try to keep it fun for newcomers as well.

But there are rumours that things tie in to the bigger Marvel universe, Dr. Strange and his multiverse to be specific. Plus there are other characters, one for example is more associated with Captain Marvel (from what I understand).

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jonnas said:

I watched the first three episodes myself (the only ones out at the moment), but since the Disney+ month is coming to an end, I'll take a break from it until my household collectively decides to get another month.

@Ronnie I'd say the only required watching is Infinity War + Endgame (for the reasons you already stated), but Age of Ultron may help a lot, for the added context (that film is the main source of backstory for both Wanda and Vision, so that's convenient). Here is a summed up version of their backstory, in case you don't want to watch it:

Age of Ultron stuff (Reveal hidden contents)

Wanda and her twin brother Pietro are orphans from the fictional war-torn nation of Sokovia (somewhere in Eastern Europe). Their parents died in a bombardment sponsored by Stark Industries (they literally saw the Stark logo on a shell before it exploded). Shortly after, they were captured (or volunteered? Details were unclear) by a Hydra group that experimented on them until the twins gained superpowers (Pietro got super speed, while Wanda got... magic, basically). The Hydra unit would eventually be raided and terminated by the Avengers, but the twins escaped after bamboozling the heroes with their powers.

Meanwhile, Tony Stark created Ultron by using his helper AI ("Jarvis" at the time) as a base. Ultron quickly rebels and severely damages Jarvis before running away. Ultron comes up with a plan to make an indestructible Vibranium body for himself, and to this end, he locates Wanda and Pietro to join forces in taking down the Avengers (they all hate everything Stark). After building the body, Tony Stark interrupts Ultron just in time to upload what remains of Jarvis instead, and thus Vision is born.

Ultron and the Avengers ultimately go to war with each other for a final battle, the twins realise Ultron is evil and turn on him, the capital of Sokovia ends up being destroyed, Pietro is gunned down by an Ultron bot while saving civilians, and Vision ultimately deals the final blow on Ultron. Both Vision and Wanda join the Avengers soon afterwards.

I'm not sure how much of that will be relevant, but I think I got all the important bits

Thanks very much that's brilliant, I'm probably not likely to watch Age of Ultron so the summary was really useful!

I imagine there'll be a ton of easter eggs and references to other characters but hopefully they've made the show for somewhat newcomers to enjoy enough.

• Thanks 1

I haven't kept up with rumours and speculations about Wanda Vision, but I'm hearing some cool stuff.

Spoiler

X-men. Quicksilver to be precise. I'd love to see that happening.

Just catching up on Wandavision, enjoyed the first two episodes a lot!!

It's great to see something so unique and different for a modern show, if it was just the usual superhero stuff I wouldn't be watching.

Another great episode of Wandavision. Lot of questions coming out of it and I love that.

Spoiler

So we now have the X-Men Universe's version of Quicksilver! I wonder if what this means is true, Wanda can't resurrect the dead like she said (Vision being different as a robut) and she's somehow pulled in this Pietro from a different Earth in the multiverse. Either the actual X-Men one or just another one where he looks like that as well.

Can't wait to see what this means for mutants in the MCU going forward.

• Like 1

Great episode for the most part

Spoiler

I hope the casting of discount Quicksilver is a massive red herring, and is just someone who just happens to look like the Fox version.

The MCU doesn't need to lower itself by linking it to the mess that is Fox X-Men.

One thing that could work is if they set up a new X-Men universe where some of the characters look the same as the Fox ones. I just think the X-Men deserve a new take. Disney could potentially make a likable Cyclops for example.

Loving this show so far.

Spoiler

Pietro's return, but played by Evan Peters.

What does it mean?
Is this the same character from Age of Ultron, brought back from the dead and recast?

Is this actually Evan Peters Fox X-Men Quicksilver somehow dragged through the Multiverse to the MCU?

I'm actually gonna assume neither.

On the first option, if Wanda had the power to bring her brother back, be it consciously or subconsciously, she wouldn't "recast" him. There would be no reason for this. And it's def not a Rhody situation where he was played by two different actors, because as far as Tony and anyone that knows him are concerned there's no difference between Rhody in Ironman 1 and in other films. Where as Darcy pointed out "she recast her brother" so she knows that is not really her brother.

On the second option, while it is nice to think Marvel somehow plan to use this as a way to bring Fox X-Men into the continuity that is too obvious a theory and one which Marvel are probably hoping for in casting Evan Peters. It's an easy assumption to make, cast Evan who played a different Quicksilver and of course people will go "OMG they are merging the MCU and Fox films"

What of they intentionally cast him to create that expectation as part of a planned meta misdirect?

So if he is not her actual brother with a different face and not the Fox Quicksilver, then who is he?

The next easiest option is she subconsciously mind wiped some rando from the town to think he is and play the role of Pietro. But I don't think Wanda would do that either, even in her confused mental state where she is just trying to live a perfect life with those she loved.

So what if  Evan Peters is actually playing the secret big bad of the show. Up till now Agnes (Agatha Harkness) has been his eyes and ears in manipulating Wanda. But now he feels he needs to get hands on himself. What if he is really playing Mephisto and he is actually controlling Wanda to think he is Pietro!

But why would Mephisto pretend to be Pietro? 

What if he feels he can't just be anyone, like if some random guy starting befriending Wanda and turning up at their house like Agnes does, Vision wouldn't trust him. He needs Vision to accept him and since Vision is starting to not accept the fake reality of Westview he is no longer as susceptible to mind control.

So he somehow had the twins implant the idea in Wanda's head she could bring a human back from dead. But also implant it in Visions head as he turned up during the scene with the dog.   So that he (Evan Peters, Mephisto) could turn up and he is actually controlling Wanda to think he is her brother. She introduces him to Vision as her brother, he accepts this. But also with SWORD monitoring the "broadcast" and their belief everything is controlled by Wanda, they just think she "recast" her brother somehow so they don't question who he is either.