NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Indie World Presentation on 19/08/19

I played Ori for the first time a few months ago and fell in love. It might be more linear and straightforward a Metroidvania compared to something like Hollow Knight, but it's still a beautiful game. What a shame that moron on twitter felt the need to spoil to surprise for everyone. Hope those few extra follows were worth it.

Great showing for me personally, The Touryst from Shin'en looks amazing. Very interested in Earth Night, Roki and Eastward and possible Youropa + a few more on that sizzle reel. That's what I love about these Showcases, showing us brand new indie games the majority of people will have never seen before.

I guess Silksong and King of Cards belong more in a proper Direct so in hindsight were unlikely to show up here.

Announcements of Superhot, Hotline Miami and Ori were ruined by leaks but otherwise it was a pretty good show.

Very happy to see Shin'en show off their new project, looking forward to that. Will definitely pick up that and the other 3 I mentioned as I've always wanted to play them but either didn't own hardware they were out on or didn't get round to picking up 

I honestly can't see whats so great about Superhot and I'm kind of glad that I got that spoiled as I wouldn't have seen enough of it in that trailer to see what was going on. Hotline Miami Collection isn't much of a surprise since the second game is on Switch. So I'm only sad that I knew about Ori but since it was only a matter of time before it was properly announced, I didn't mind it much. 

But generally, yes, leaks are unfortunate. If they only stated it like a rumour, I would like it more as it leaves room for more speculation. 

• Like 1

The new game from Shin’en seems interesting, kinda looks like mini BotW Shrine puzzles, which I can definitely dig. :) Some lovely visual elements too, as is always the case with Shin’en. Will be keeping a close eye on that one. :cool: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

content-4-35929-indieworld19082019roundupbanner.jpg

Here's our Roundup article, basically the press release and a link to the video, all the info is there though. :smile:

All I can remember is The Touryst because it's a new game from Shin'en though from the way the game was introduced my hype couldn't have been lower...

...then the gameplay was thankfully allowed to speak for itself and all was well, I love most of what Shin'en have put out over the years so this should be good. :peace:

They really don't need the presenters though, in either visual or audio form, if they must have them then they could do with tightening up the script a bit more.

I mean, there were some interesting titles in there but when a lot of them aren't that exciting, the gaps inbetween just feel even more jarring.

Overall though, these presentations are getting better, for a 20 minute video it was still good but if it wasn't for Ori at the end then... ::shrug:

Also a bit strange that the Streets of Rage 4 announcement wasn't part of it as well but I guess that carries itself well as a standalone video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have complety mixed up Shakedown Hawaii and Hotline Miami. Like.. Total mixup. And I have apparently got the idea that Miami had already appeared on Wii U. 

Then I guess that announcement was a bit bigger than I first thought. 

• Risk of Rain 2 - Summer 2019 - Maybe - Depends on if others are getting it.
  • Eastward - 2020 - Likely - Need to see more, but really looking good so far.
  • Freedom Finger - Autumn 2019 - NoNot my style.
  • Röki - Winter 2019 - Very unlikely - Nothing substantial shown (gameplay-wise), and artstyle is too simplistic.
  • Torchlight II - 03-09-2019 - No - Diablo 3 is fulfilling my limited needs for these type of games.
  • Skater XL - 2020 - No - I don't do skating games.
  • Youropa - Winter 2019 - Likely - Need to see more, and character / enemy designs aren't doing it for me, but overall looks great and I love the customisation options.
  • SUPERHOT - NOW - Maybe - Interested in this, it's on my Steam Wishlist, but I'm wondering if I should just get this one there instead. A physical release would entice me to go Switch though.
  • Dungeon Defenders: Awakened - February 2020 - No
  • The Touryst - November 2019 - Very unlikely - Gameplay looks somewhat interesting so far.. But it needs to be damn impressive if it want to make me ignore the shitty "3D pixels" artstyle I can't stand.
  • Skellboy - 03-12-2019 - No
  • Earthnight -  2019 - Maybe - Need to see more. Looks a bit chaotic, but I like the artstyle.
  • Hotline Miami Collection - NOW - No - I was never interested in these games.
  • Blasphemous - 26-09-2019 - Very Likely - Yes I'll take a "2D Dark Souls". Liking the pixelart (apart from that ridiculous headgear) and animation as well. That said.. I'm definitely not buying it in September.
  • Close to the Sun - 2019 - Unlikely - Can't judge on these few seconds actually.
  • Cat Quest II - Autumn 2019 - Unlikely - I wasn't interested enough in the first one, though I know some of you like it.
  • Spiritfarer - Spring 2020 - Very Likely - Was pretty much convinced by the previous trailer.
  • Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince - 08-10-2019 - Maybe - Multiplayer title, so again.. Depends a bit on you people. Though I'm pretty sure in October I'm still busy with or recovering from the onslaught of games.
  • Creature in the Well - 06-09-2019 - Likely - Was already interested, but again.. September isn't a good time.
  • One Finger Death Punch 2 - 02-12-2019 - No
  • Best Friend Forever - 14-02-2020 -  No - ???
  • Phogs - Early 2020 -  Very unlikely - It does look cute though.
  • WHAT THE GOLF? - Winter 2019 - Very unlikely
  • Kine - 2019 - Very unlikely - I don't know what I'm looking at.
  • HYPERCHARGE: Unboxed - Winter 2019 - Unlikely - Though I do like the setting.
  • Northgard - 26-09-2019 - No - RTS which didn't grab my attention on Steam, and doesn't now on Switch.
  • Sparklite - Autumn 2019 - Likely - Looks good and fun.
  • Munchkin: Quacked Quest - Autumn 2019 - No
  • Ori and the Blind Forest - 27-09-2019 - Mustbuy - Though I'll wait to find out if there are any plans for a physical release.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

None of the games I wanted to see were shown 😂 Oh well... The new Shin’en game looks great! Will be keeping my eye on it. 

• Thanks 1

This was one of the lesser Indie Directs for me. The big one (Ori) was spoiled by the leaks, and for the rest it was okay but not much that made a lasting impression.

The Touryst stood out and looks charming, and I'm intrigued by it. I like the art style, and the gameplay and various areas seem interesting. Skater XL can be fun. It would be nice to have a great new skateboarding title but I wonder if this is that title. Apparently it is already out on PC, so I may check some reviews of it. Freedom Finger stood out a bit because of the soundtrack, and it looks to have some good tongue-in-cheek humour but I think there are better shmups to play.

• Thanks 1

I've actually been playing through Ori over the last few weeks thanks to my game pass deal on the One; it's an absolutely incredible game as far as I'm concerned, the closest I've played to an actual Metroid game since...I last played a Metroid game.

Well worth a purchase for anyone into that sort of game, or even if you aren't, it's such a beautiful game and an engaging little story as well, excited for it coming to the Switch even if I won't likely double dip!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bit of a flat presentation for me. It didn't help that the whole thing was leaked earlier in the day but given what was on offer I don't think it would have made a difference if I didn't know beforehand what was being shown.

Day 1 for Cat Quest II ( loved the first game ) and Touryst, the latter of which looks absolutely delightful and charming. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Day 1 for Cat Quest II ( loved the first game )

Yeah, great game. :) That said, I’m hoping they’ve got a bit more in store for the sequel than what was shown yesterday. Apart from the multiplayer thing it might as well have been footage from the first one it was so similar! :o 

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, great game. :) That said, I’m hoping they’ve got a bit more in store for the sequel than what was shown yesterday. Apart from the multiplayer thing it might as well have been footage from the first one it was so similar! :o 

To be honest I'd be happy with just more of the same, which is surprising given my dislike of cats. :D 

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this