NEurope
Beast

Collections

Every Saturday, I go to CEX and buy blu-rays of movies I watch more than once. As you all probably know, I love my movies and I love nothing more than Disney movies. That's not to say I don't like other movies but Disney films never fail to make me feel happy (except for the original Alice in Wonderland...just no).

As it stands, as of last night, after buying Creed II and Mary Poppins Returns, I now own over 410 blu-rays. I keep track on an app called Bluray.com. I started through collecting Disney Classic blu-rays. After getting all of them (with o-ring shiny sleeves- oh yeah, I'm well hot!), I went on to live-actions and sequels. Apparently, the only ones I'm missing now are the Tinkerbell films but they don't interest me in the slightest...BUT it would mean I have every single Disney blu-ray released in the UK (although I don't have the Muppets boxset but that's a grey area...I still want it though).

So a few questions is something I have for you all:

-Do you collect anything?
-What do you collect?
-Would you buy something you're not a massive fan of just to complete a collection (like my example above)?
-Have you got a complete collection of anything?

If you can think of any more to add, put it in here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-Do you collect anything?

Yes.

-What do you collect?

Games.

-Would you buy something you're not a massive fan of just to complete a collection?

Maybe.

Almost.

- - - - -

I may expand on this later... ;)

Good idea for a thread though. :peace:

• Like 1

-Do you collect anything? - Yes
-What do you collect? - Sega Saturn Games. I used to collect retro games in general, but decided to focus my efforts on the console that holds the most nostalgia to me. I'm currently 25% towards my target of every PAL game (yes, I keep a spreadsheet, complete with percentage tracker). I also collect the Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy, GTA and Metal Gear Solid series.
-Would you buy something you're not a massive fan of just to complete a collection? - Yes, as my copies of Space Jam, Sega Touring Car Championship and NBA Jam Extreme will attest to. 
-Have you got a complete collection of anything? - I have some variation of every Phantasy Star game released in the PAL region (only need the XBox version of PSO to have every version of every game). I also had some variation of every Final Fantasy game, but I've lost my copy of FF1 and I stopped a few years back, so I'm missing some of the newer ones.

I remember someone mentioning that they didn't see the point in going for full console collections, when the majority of the games will never be played. I don't tend to buy any retro games online (unless it's a game I actually want), so the fun comes from going to various CEXs or game markets and seeing if there's anything I don't already have. The fun mainly comes from the hunting, not the collection itself, although I do like having an increasing library of Saturn games, as the Saturn came out at a time when I was too young to have my own income, so every new game was a big event and had an increased sense of value.

Edited by Goafer
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Animal said:

-What do you collect?
-Would you buy something you're not a massive fan of just to complete a collection (like my example above)?

Games and figures mostly nowadays.

You could say "media" in general, I'll buy Blu-rays (and DVD's still occasionally) if I really want to (re)watch something, but I have to limited resources and space, so I only buy them once in a while for again, stuff I really want to watch or watch again, like Game of Thrones. Still have to see the last season because I'm waiting for the Blu-rays. I spent my money and time going to the cinemas for my film needs, and I do collect the ticket stubs for as far as I get to keep those.

I also used to buy CD's and vinyl. Still do, but only occasionally. Mostly at concerts. I did buy my first 12" House single in a good old-fashioned brick and mortar store in many years recently. Plus an album to go with it. I'm done with buying actual CD's I think, as digital / streaming is more practical and vinyl is more fun for collecting (and signing if I ever get the chance). Oh speaking of signatures, the only real (internationally) notable signature I have is a barely legible one from Terry Gilliam. Most of the other few I have are Dutch music artists.

Maybe surprising, maybe not if you have noticed my avatars, but I am kind of an appreciator of the female form.. And I have a large selection of magazines. I haven't counted them, but I wouldn't be surprised if I have over 200. Funnily enough, I think I have only like 11 Playboys or something. There are of course a significant number of "Lad's" magazines.. Of which the Italian versions were the best, let me tell you. Arena was the best UK one. But most of the magazines are actually unadultered women's fasion magazines. Better models, better photography. As with the others.. Priorities shift, so even though I still brows for them whenever I get the chance, I only occasionally buy them. Import magazines are expensive!

Currently my priority is my Switch, in fact I just ordered 2 more games for it. Even my figures hobby is taking a hit, though intend to buy some more Nendoroids in the coming months.

My overall game collections is pretty good, though not nearly as large as some "real" collections or as large as I wished haha. But I'll make a list of it some time. I was suprised to see my GameCube collection is pretty decent, as I only bought one pretty late in its life. Anyway I never sell anything, so I still own everything I've ever gotten.

You can check my figure collection here: https://myfigurecollection.net/profile/Somnophore/collection/ Though it's a bit outdated, but most of it is there.

I do not collect things simply for the sake of collecting. I'd never buy things I don't actually want. On the other hand I'll buy anything I like and can afford. I've bought many figures simply because Liked the design, even if I didn't know the source material (or in fact, even hate the source material). There are fans of Limited Run who buy everything they release simply to collect.. But A lot of their stuff I'm not interested in. I'm not buying games I don't want to play.

Do I have a complete collection? No. I got close when Nendoroids of Nintendo characters became a thing, but since the launch of the Switch, priorities shifted again, and now I'm behind. I'm missing several releases, though I intend to get those eventually.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

I was once building a budding retro games collection, but when I bought my own house and space became limited that all got shuffled away to the garage. Now that I have less room to put my stuff, and I'm awareness of the stress of tidying and moving house etc, I kinda have this desire to let physical collections be a thing of the past. I have nothing against those with a collect hobby, and I'm envious that you have somewhere for it all to live, but for me having less stuff is a huge feeling of relief, so I don't see myself ever being a collector of anything again.

Unless of course I become fabulously wealthy.

• Thanks 1

My wife and I collect Lonely Planet guides from all the places we visit (technically we buy them before we visit, but we 'collect' them afterwards on a shelf).

We also like to buy a Christmas tree decoration from everywhere that we go, so our tree is covered with little mementos of our holidays.

I did collect N64 magazines when I was a kid, but like Shorty said, it was kind of a relief getting rid of the clutter once I realised I was never going to read them again.

From the time I started this thread to now, I now have 440 blu-rays, including Bean: The Ultimate Disaster Movie, Space Jam, Game of Thrones S1-4, Wolf Creek, Aladdin trilogy (I FINALLY GOT THE BLOODY SEQUELS) and Mulan 2 (I ACTUALLY GOT THE SEQUEL).

My main grabs would be movies from my childhood, Game of Thrones and Disney sequels.

Movies from my childhood actually has a rule to it. You'll think I'm a hoarder but I swear I'm not but I've kept all of my VHS tapes. They actually fit in a box under my bed and I couldn't bear to get rid of them. I actually have the original Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, Tarzan, Hercules and Aladdin. I've managed to get a few such as Pagemaster and Space Jam but the one I'd love is The Little Vampire and the Borrowers. I also want Matilda, The Witches and Muppet Treasure Island.

Game of Thrones is going to just go right up in price from December so I've been collecting them as I go along. So far, from 1-4, I'm very shocked to say that this only cost me a tenner due to a pricing error. Bonus. I'm one of the few fans that thought the end was satisfactory. It wasn't amazing but it was what I expected (but that's for another thread...I feel the judgment already, lmao)

Disney sequels are becoming a bit of a bitch to find. Luckily for me, I've been collecting them from the start. They're starting to become rare. All I need is Bambi 2, Return to Neverland, Little Mermaid 2 and 3, (possibly) Tarzan 2, Tarzan and Jane and Planes: Fire and Rescue. There are some sequels that haven't been released on blu-ray, which is annoying. I still need to get the Ralph Breaks the Internet o-ring sleeve. It was released two weeks ago but it would mean me travelling for about an hour to just buy it. I plan on getting it in a couple of weeks.

Anyone have updates on their collections?