NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2019-20

The sad thing is, Sky Sports News were treating it like "Transfer Deadline Day" with seemingly no sentiment or remose... shows where their priorities really lie!

Truly dark times for football in general.

23 minutes ago, GenericAperson said:

The sad thing is, Sky Sports News were treating it like "Transfer Deadline Day" with seemingly no sentiment or remose... shows where their priorities really lie!

Truly dark times for football in general.

God, that's so depressing to hear that they were so blasé about it but also not exactly surprising. It's absolutely appalling that a club can be expelled from the league in this day and age but I don't think the football league as an entity actually makes that much money which is why they lack the ability to bail clubs out financially themselves. The member clubs should definitely form some sort of emergency fund to help out clubs that end up in Bury and Bolton's situation, whilst also encouraging more responsbile ownership.

With Bolton I can sort of understand why they are in this position, as you've said @Dog-amoto their problems stem from the mid 2000's when they were chucking money at trying to break into the top 6 so the problems of the last few years have been sort of inevitable, especially given the financial push they had to get out of the Championship six years back that seems to have been the real breaking point for the club.

As far as Bury goes though I'm really surprised that they have had such significant money problems given that they have been languishing around League One and Two for years and were actually promoted last season. The fact that clubs at that level are spending way beyond their means is the real eye opener for me and sadly Bury probably won't be the last casualty, even if Bolton do find a buyer there seem to be plenty of other clubs that are struggling.

I've followed the Bury situation on the news and it's simply awful hearing the stories from all of the local fans and residents who live close to the ground. Disgraceful mismanagement by the owners. The rules for those who run clubs needs to be so much more stringent than they currently are, because this sort of situation should have been avoided. It must have been preventable on some level.

It looks like Bolton may be getting out their situation, so that's good to hear @Dog-amoto. But, I think we'll hear more and more stories in the next 10 years of this happening to other clubs. 

Azpilicueta is finished, he’s an absolute shadow of the player he was a few seasons ago, so sad to see.

We also need to be better in defence as a whole unit, the defenders aren’t pushing up to the midfield enough and are leaving to big a gap to be exploited on counters.

...but our right-hand side is woeful at the moment, I can’t wait until James is fit, instant upgrade on Azpi.

Pulisic needs time to settle in.

40 minutes ago, Kav said:

Azpilicueta is finished, he’s an absolute shadow of the player he was a few seasons ago, so sad to see.

We also need to be better in defence as a whole unit, the defenders aren’t pushing up to the midfield enough and are leaving to big a gap to be exploited on counters.

...but our right-hand side is woeful at the moment, I can’t wait until James is fit, instant upgrade on Azpi.

Pulisic needs time to settle in.

I was surprised at the final score. I noticed that Chelsea were 2-0 up and thought that they were good for a win. 

United were pretty bleeeeeeh against Southampton, even when they were down to 10 men. We don't seem to be able to create chances that easily and our set pieces and crossing were just as woeful as last week. A pretty disappointing performance. 

Weird start to the season so far apart from Liverpool and Man City.

.....Liverpool had better not lose now I've written this.

Strange start to the season so far. United have had what many would consider a disastrous start, yet we're in 4th and only 2 points behind City. With the exception of Liverpool (who have had an easy start, lets see where they are at the end of October) everyone has had a rather unremarkable first 5. The answer must lie with teams who we expect to normally finish lower down the league, all of whom have already won a game. The only two teams without a win are Wolves and Watford, which is mad considering many expected them to break top 6 this year. So maybe the league is just leveling out a bit more in terms of quality?

One thing is for sure, next time the international games roll around I think we're going to see a lot of new faces in the England team. There's some really exciting talent coming through (especially at United, Chelsea, Norwich, Leicester, Arsenal). Shaping up to be a good season. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kav said:

Ross Barkley taking the penalty off Jorginho and missing it.

Urgh.

Wonder whether we'll get an entire weeks worth of analysis like we did with the Pogba penalty a couple weeks ago.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2019 at 2:10 PM, LazyBoy said:

One thing is for sure, next time the international games roll around I think we're going to see a lot of new faces in the England team. There's some really exciting talent coming through (especially at United, Chelsea, Norwich, Leicester, Arsenal). Shaping up to be a good season. 

Yeah, this season has been great not only from the English perspective, but a UK-wide one. So much young talent at the teams you mentioned. It's really great to see and I guess the fruits of the FA's investment in youth 10 or so years ago is finally paying off. Great to see the big clubs going with young British talent. There's something very nostalgic seeing the Man Utd line up in particular, it's not quite the class of '92, but they have a great British backbone to the squad.

This is certainly the most excited I have ever been about a generation coming through the United academy. You have to stay calm though, as the brightest talents - Garner, Greenwood, Tuanzebe and my personal favourite Gomes - are still yet to show they can make the step up. However if even 1 or 2 of them can make it, combined with the already established Rashford, Wan-Bisaka & Shaw and you're looking at an English backbone that could be at the club for 10 years. 

Zooming out from an England fan perspective, you've got to applaud the reforms that have been implemented, as you say Nick. Put aside the lack of controlling midfielders, and there is talent coming through everywhere on the pitch. It's a crying shame 2022 is Qatar, because I think we've got a hell of a chance.

For a newly promoted club, we have had a great start to the season! Really happy with Chris Wilder and lads for getting stuck in and not allowing us to be, so far, a laughing stock. All of the pundits before the season started had written us off. Three years ago we drew against Scunthorpe in League 1, yesterday we won against Everton away in the Premier League. Absolutely fantastic!

We played pretty bad yesterday but got the result, but we played really well the week before at home and lost. Its a funny thing football. We defended really well yesterday. Before the game I thought a point would have been a great result but to be awarded with all three is fantastic. 

A long way to go yet, and i'm taking nothing for granted. These early points all add up and will hopefully aid us staying up when everything inevitably falls apart.

Some things I have noticed since now having the opportunity to watch in person PL football in 13 years...

1. Quality - the quality of football is generally outstanding. The standard of football I have seen from opposition teams have been on a whole new level compared to that seen in the Championship. The leap from League 1 to Championship is present but isn't huge. In the Championship, any team has a decent chance of winning in a game but in the Premier League it is not like this. My view is that the increased standards from the Championship to the Premier League is so large that it is inevitable that newly promoted teams struggle as they initially do not have the quality to stay.

2. Is it me or do PL players tend to fall like a bag of spuds? :indeed:

3. Experiencing Success - So for the newly promoted teams, its staying up; established teams, its probably trying to "get into Europe", and for top teams, is winning but compared to the lower leagues I feel that life in the PL is completely stressful and actually some kind of success is not achieved all that often. Don't get me wrong, I would love the Blades to stay up and don't want to be relegated at all; but there is no feeling like winning the league like we did in L1 or win promotion from the Championship. In a way, I feel for supporters in clubs like Everton that never fear relegation but don't achieve much success. They never experience winning a league or being promoted. However, they also never have to experience losing to Carlisle in League 1 in the rain and freezing cold either.

Anyway, Liverpool at home next (LOL). To not lose would be nothing short of a miracle. Definitely, enjoying the PL experience even if it is for the opportunity to watch world class teams and players at in-person at your own ground. 

• Like 3

@Blade, well done on Sheffield United's success, so far. I have to say that the standard of football played by the promoted teams has been good. Norwich look well coached, too. 

We've got West Ham away today and I honestly think we'll do well to get anything from it. The trouble is that I just can't see where the goals are going to come from, aside from Dan James and Rashford capitalising on a mistake or some sort of solo effort. After seeing City destroy Watford yesterday, we are so far away from being to put in a performance like that or create as many chances as they do. 1-1 or 0-0 today.

We need to start being able to defend set pieces... otherwise we played really well against Liverpool today, had the better of the game.

4 Real Madrid players in the FIFA Fifpro Men's World 11. Was it based off the video game or something?

• Like 1

What can I say? I expected to get thrashed by the European champions but actually made Liverpool work. I thought we played outstanding today and should have finished a draw. Our keeper made a silly error and it costed us.

Wilder is fantastic. Some perspective is needed. Three years ago we were playing against Bristol Rovers.Today, we played against the European champions and I walked away from the ground disappointed

Roll onto the next game!

Edited by Blade
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Blade said:

What can I say? I expected to get thrashed by the European champions but actually made Liverpool work. I thought we played outstanding today and should have finished a draw. Our keeper made a silly error and it costed us.

Wilder is fantastic. Some perspective is needed. Three years ago we were playing against Bristol Rovers.Today, we played against the European champions and I walked away from the ground disappointed

Roll onto the next game!

You were exceedingly unlucky, although it’s winning hard fought games like these that will really boost Liverpool’s confidence.

I’ve been so impressed with Sheff Utd so far this season.  Their style of play is different to the Premier League norm, and while they may need to adapt later in for season as teams work them out, right now it’s working terrifically for them and it’s great to see!  It’s a good year for the promoted teams to come up, with so many of the so-called bigger clubs in a time of rebuilding.

For all his credit (which is fully deserved) I do think Wilder’s comments about his keeper were a little harsh yesterday. Yes it was a mistake, but keeper’s make occasionally and it costs goals (see Lloris yesterday for example), but this guy has already, and will no doubt in the future, save them way more points and is going to be a busy player!

On 28/09/2019 at 3:44 PM, Blade said:

Roll onto the next game!

I've been dying to talk to a Blade about how you guys are doing.

As someone who is constantly waiting for the emergence of English coaches with modern methods, how excited should we be about Chris Wilder? Every time I have watched you guys I have thought you looked great, and you were robbed by the scousers. 

Spurs got absolutely demolished last night. Don't think they'll be repeating the finals run of last year. Bayern must be one of the favourites after that performance.

16 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Spurs got absolutely demolished last night. Don't think they'll be repeating the finals run of last year. Bayern must be one of the favourites after that performance.

Not with our performance in the first half. I'm not trying to downplay our win and we played insanely well in the second half but especially our defense wasn't on top in the first 30-40 minutes.

Kovac said it: The last 60 minutes were almost perfect but we should not dismiss the first 30.

The perfect word to describe the football that Manchester United play hasn't been invented yet. I think if it were to be a sound, it would be meeeehhhhhbluuuurrrggghhhhhthatwasshiiiit. 

Football is a game and we are horrid at playing that game. :( 

Almost all the top teams having a bit of a shit start to the season.

I genuinely think that it might actually be Liverpool's year this year...

Man City having a surprisingly bad start. If they try and bring in players to strengthen their defence in January, will they be eligible to play in the Champions League?

It's looking good for Liverpool so far, I just hope Van Dijk can keep 100% fit for the whole season.