NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2019-20

We're back! 

How is everyone feeling ahead of the new season? Are you excited about your team's prospects? Which players are you looking forward to seeing?

Also also, please create your Fantasy Football team and join the N-E league! I've just created my team. :) 

• Like 1

With the Transfer Ban it’s a write-off season for us. Not expecting anything but still wouldn’t be surprised if we made top 4, neither would I be if we were just top 7.

Our First XI is definitely weaker than last season, but our Squad on the whole is probably better with some loanees returning.

I'm pretty worried we're going to do as badly as Fulham did last season, having spent a fortune in the transfer market and being overencumbered with too many new signings. But three of those new signings were key parts of the team last season and the spine of our team is pretty strong and having the likes of Grealish and McGinn - genuinely world class players - makes me a bit more optimistic. I trust in Dean Smith but there is always the worry that we throw money about to try and stay up but end up having no consistency and plummetting back to the Championship with an enormous wage bill. 

Id love to see Liverpool win the league this season but I still feel we aren’t consistent enough. I’m expecting second again.

3 hours ago, Happenstance said:

@Fierce_LiNk do you have a league code for the NE one?

I've emailed @Space as he's the admin/creator of the group. As far as I can see, I can't get the League Code myself.

If you were in the league last year, by making a new team it auto-enrols you. That's quite handy.

Here's last year's code: 1151543-375779 

Give it a go and maybe it'll work. If not, hopefully Space will reply soon! 

• Thanks 1

I’ve renewed the fantasy league for the new season, the code to join is xc5kcy.

Last season I was doing so well then it all went wrong near the end, here’s to 19/20! 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I can't believe that @Eenuh ended up winning it! She also missed the first week, so it's a pretty cool achievement. She hasn't stopped going on about it! :laughing:

I've made my team and I quite like the initial look of it. Watch all these players let me down now. 

1 hour ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

She hasn't stopped going on about it! :laughing:

Liiiiieeeessss! You're the one who keeps bringing it up! :heh:

Anyway, I've just made my team... And just like last season, I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing. :grin:

• Like 1

We've got 8 teams registered for Fantasy Football now. Let's have some more! :D 

I'm a bit mixed about Man United going into this new season. One area that I am really happy about is the defence. We look a lot more secure there with Maguire and Wan-Bissaka. I'd love to see a consistent back four of Shaw, Lindelöf, Maguire and Wan-Bissaka, with De Gea in goal. However, it's when you look further ahead that we look so light in midfield and up front. We're badly missing a quality attack and at least 1 central midfielder. I think we'll fall just short this season due to these deficiencies. Maybe only a few points missing out on top 4, but I don't think we quite have enough to secure top 4, let alone challenge for the title.

Another worry is that Rashford and Martial are so inconsistent. Asking them to provide most of our goals is a huge risk, imo.

Great win for Liverpool tonight but very worrying for Alisson already. Does he not know he’s my keeper in the fantasy league???

Im obviously feeling both very excited and nervous this season. Especially after seeing Liverpool smash Norwich last night...

Every pundit has written us off and placed us at 20th place. You never know though, we could escape relegation. In Wilder we trust.

Maguire going to Man Utd is obviously massive for him. He was brought up and his family still lives in the same village as me. 

Edited by Blade
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Great win for Liverpool tonight but very worrying for Alisson already. Does he not know he’s my keeper in the fantasy league???

@Eenuh also had him in as her keeper. She let out a huge "fuuuuuuck" when I told her that he was giving off injured. Probably will be the most swapped player this weekend.

51 minutes ago, Blade said:

Im obviously feeling both very excited and nervous this season. Especially after seeing Liverpool smash Norwich last night...

Every pundit has written us off and placed us at 20th place. You never know though, we could escape relegation. In Wilder we trust.

Maguire going to Man Utd is obviously massive for him. He was brought up and his family still lives in the same village as me. 

Have you got a fantasy team, brah?

Good luck for the season! Although, as I've been down here in Bournemouth for the last decade, I do hope that you get smashed this afternoon. :D 

I'm excited at having Maguire in our side. He automatically becomes our best centre back and I think he'll be a good presence to have at the club. Seems like a nice guy, too. We need more likeable players at the club. 

On 08/08/2019 at 10:14 PM, Space said:

I’ve renewed the fantasy league for the new season, the code to join is xc5kcy.

Last season I was doing so well then it all went wrong near the end, here’s to 19/20! 😄

Thanks @Space I’ve added myself to the growing League list.  I was already planning on using the fact that I’d be a week behind as an excuse, but @Eenuh‘s performance last season has ruined that excuse already! 😂

An exciting start to the Premiership yesterday with plenty of goals, and of course plenty of VAR discussion already!  The best news of course was Exeter continuing their winning streak (2 matches...) in League 2!  Maybe this year will be our year!

Delighted with that performance!

Martial and Rashford scoring, Pogba assisting, Maguire and Wan-Bissaka looking great in defence on their debuts, James coming on and scoring...and a clean sheet! Couldn't really have asked for any more than that.

I want us to stick with this back four for every game. 

2 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Delighted with that performance!

Martial and Rashford scoring, Pogba assisting, Maguire and Wan-Bissaka looking great in defence on their debuts, James coming on and scoring...and a clean sheet! Couldn't really have asked for any more than that.

I want us to stick with this back four for every game. 

This will probably end up being the highlight of the entire season :p

Can we just forget the other 37 games and end the season now, I'll happily take second place behind City!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eddage said:

This will probably end up being the highlight of the entire season :p

Can we just forget the other 37 games and end the season now, I'll happily take second place behind City!

I think we'll have an alright season, overall. I've predicted that we will finish fifth, although I don't think we'll be far from a top four place. Having said that, if we can get Martial and Rashford upping their goal tallies, we might sneak fourth. 

Losing is one thing but losing by so many goals thanks to school-boy individual errors in another, Zouma and Azpi had an absolute nightmare!

It was looking positive up until Utd scored their 2nd, both against the run play, after that our heads dropped and we lacked cohesion... but it wasn’t the youngsters that was the issue, it was moreso senior/experienced players that were.

Still, no need to panic, I’m looking forward to injured players returning!

Anyhoo, I saw FIFA have handed out a massive £315,000 fine to City for the same thing we got a two-window Transfer Ban for.

Classic FIFA!

Edited by Kav

I'd love to know what the logic is behind City getting such a pitiful fine compared to Chelsea's ban. Did Chelsea break this law repeatedly? That must be the only difference, surely.

I'd love to know what the logic is behind City getting such a pitiful fine compared to Chelsea's ban. Did Chelsea break this law repeatedly? That must be the only difference, surely.

Briefly looking at an article on the BBC website it would appear that because they admitted to the offences they just got a fine.
So clubs can break all the rules they like just as long as they admit it and pretend to be sorry... complete joke!
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eddage said:

Briefly looking at an article on the BBC website it would appear that because they admitted to the offences they just got a fine.
So clubs can break all the rules they like just as long as they admit it and pretend to be sorry... complete joke!

There has to be more to it than that, surely?! :blank:

That fine is pathetic. That's not a deterrent or a punishment. 

• Like 1

Again we were the better team for the majority of the match but end up losing out, this time on pens.

When those out injured return, if we can keep up this level of performance I don’t think Top 4 should be a struggle.

Very dark day for football. The unsustainable model of the modern game, clubs spending money they don’t have just in order to compete has claimed Bury and in 14 days will likely claim us too. I always said once we lost the backing of Eddie Davies, the massive wages and fees we were spending on players under the Allardyce, Megson and Coyle era just wasn’t sustainable and we were in for an almighty fall. I just never thought it would come to this. 

And the sad thing about it is while mega money is being thrown about in the top division, thanks to the likes of Sky, many more clubs will likely fall victim to poor financial management unless major reforms are made. Most clubs are potentially vulnerable should the owner walk away.