NEurope
Dcubed

New Switch revision announced (NOT the Switch Lite!)

The original model Switch gets an upgrade! Now sporting the new CPU/GPU from the Switch Lite and double the battery life of the original version! :o 

https://www.resetera.com/threads/new-regular-switch-model-with-upgraded-battery-life-announced-old-model-2-5-6-5-hours-new-model-4-5-9-0-hours.129496/

HjkLcsX.png

Whelp! I have no need for a Switch Lite now! :D 

Edited by Dcubed

No, it kind of removes the purpose of the Lite now. 

But nothing worth upgrading my current model for. 

I wonder if this’ll have improved performance in Docked Mode... Considering that it won’t be using the battery at all when connected to the TV, they SHOULD and using the extra power/thermal savings from this new chip to improve performance in Docked Mode...

They managed that just from improving the CPU, or is the battery actually larger?

Is this also to patch the security flaws with the original hardware?

8 minutes ago, Ike said:

They managed that just from improving the CPU, or is the battery actually larger?

Is this also to patch the security flaws with the original hardware?

It’s just from a die-shrink of the CPU/GPU.  The battery is the same size (hence why the battery life is so much better than the Lite.

That also means that we could get a significant improvement in Docked performance if Nintendo allows it to happen... since the CPU/GPU can be clocked much higher now...

Edited by Dcubed

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

New joy con colours too

You should post that in the general thread, as they have little to do with the lite. I like the purple one.

I didn't think they'd replace the original model with the revised CPU so quickly, kind of funny that it'll be out before the Lite. Impressive boost to battery life but that alone isn't enough to convince me to swap my launch system for this, the battery life on that suits me just fine seeing as I never really take it out of the house. 

I don't think it will cannibalise the Lite sales too much that has a negligible increase in battery life over the OG model and the selling point of the Lite is that its significantly cheaper than the standard model so will be targeting a different market

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

The original model Switch gets an upgrade! Now sporting the new CPU/GPU from the Switch Lite and double the battery life of the original version! :o 

https://www.resetera.com/threads/new-regular-switch-model-with-upgraded-battery-life-announced-old-model-2-5-6-5-hours-new-model-4-5-9-0-hours.129496/

HjkLcsX.png

Whelp! I have no need for a Switch Lite now! :D 

Literally kills any reason to buy the Switch Lite at its current price. Buy this and sell the dock for a similar priced solution with nearly double battery, bigger screen and a pair of joycons! :p

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 2

It literally doesn't? This is for people who want something smaller and thought the original one was too expensive anyway so don't have one to sell. It's for people who'd now still buy a 3DS instead of the current Switch.

Just now, Sméagol said:

It literally doesn't? This is for people who want something smaller and thought the original one was too expensive anyway so don't have one to sell. It's for people who'd now still buy a 3DS instead of the current Switch.

No of course it doesn't kill the Lite. No one was buying a Lite for the 30 mins of extra battery life.

I wonder if this is why the current edition of the Switch currently comes with a £30 money off voucher for the eShop - So they don't feel too hard done by when a revised edition ends up coming out shortly afterwards with superior battery life.

Edited by Tim B

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

Literally kills any reason to buy the Switch Lite at its current price. Buy this and sell the dock for a similar priced solution with nearly double battery, bigger screen and a pair of joycons! :p

Yup, this is pretty much my situation. If I'm going to buy a Switch at the end of this year it will be the "upgraded" one and I'll sell the dock ::shrug: 

Great to hear they've found a way of boosting the battery for people who like to use their Switch in handheld mode. :)

I said for the price the Lite is being sold at there's no good reason to opt for it, not that there is no use/market for it.

You can have nearly double the battery, a bigger screen and joycons for roughly the same price - assuming you sold the dock, which people are selling for around £50 on eBay. It makes the Lite a very hard sell at £200.

Not saying the Lite won't sell, mind, because of course it will. On paper it's cheaper, and colours. But anyone able to look at what you're getting here can see where the deal is at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the Lite is going to sell a lot, then it can't be that hard a sell.

I saw the vast majority of docks selling for £30 or £40 on eBay.

Not everyone wants a bigger screen, posters in the Lite thread were on about wanting even smaller than the Lite, or joycons.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dcubed said:

It’s just from a die-shrink of the CPU/GPU.  The battery is the same size (hence why the battery life is so much better than the Lite.

That also means that we could get a significant improvement in Docked performance if Nintendo allows it to happen... since the CPU/GPU can be clocked much higher now...

Yeah, been reading that the new CPU has a higher maximum clock rate, but it's hard to tell if Nintendo will make use of it at this point, they didn't even mention it themselves, but it would be nice for games like BoTW2, and even the first one if it helps the framerate to stay smooth. Makes it hard to decide if it's worth the upgrade.

12 hours ago, Ronnie said:

No of course it doesn't kill the Lite. No one was buying a Lite for the 30 mins of extra battery life.

No, but I would have assumed one of the main reasons for having a handheld focused Switch would be the improved battery life (as well as having a smaller console of course). If the Lite only adds half an hour to the battery over the current model, and then just a few days later they announce this upgraded model will boost the battery life up to 9 hours then one of the main reasons for the Switch lite has been outdone by already. And the Switch Lite isn't really that much smaller anyway.

Honestly, I'm confused here. Why didn't Nintendo just wait and put this new chip in the Switch lite?

The only benefit i can see to buying a Switch lite now, is the price.

Edited by Helmsly

1 hour ago, Helmsly said:

Honestly, I'm confused here. Why didn't Nintendo just wait and put this new chip in the Switch lite?

The Switch Lite does utilise the new chip, that's why they can get away with including a lower capacity battery but still manage to offer a longer battery life than the original Switch model. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, killthenet said:

The Switch Lite does utilise the new chip, that's why they can get away with including a lower capacity battery but still manage to offer a longer battery life than the original Switch model. 

Is it the exact same cpu as this new model?

If the Lite is going to sell a lot, then it can't be that hard a sell. I saw the vast majority of docks selling for £30 or £40 on eBay.

Not everyone wants a bigger screen, posters in the Lite thread were on about wanting even smaller than the Lite, or joycons.

I feel like you're not getting my point...

The Switch Lite will sell but it's not a good deal for the price, especially not now the base unit has nearly double the battery. That's really considerable.

FYI there are plenty of docks that have sold at £50 or more recently on eBay:

08612034fd257872e325af8485f3af5e6e99b62eb412527b2b494280e7bb854a73b8808b.jpg

Long story short if you list at £50 it will likely sell, regardless of whether other people have listed lower.

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

And if you throw in the AC charger, an HDMI cable etc...

Almost valueless, it's just a USB-C cable/charger and an HDMI cable. Probably can be picked up from you local Poundland. And why is the HDMI cable needed if you sell the dock?

Try harder Ronnie. :p

Edited by Sheikah