NEurope
Nicktendo

Nintendo Switch Lite announced - Releasing Sept. 20

58 minutes ago, Pestneb said:

I know I might be waiting a while, but they've spoken about this sort of thing for years, I still expect a successor in 2021/2022. Why am I no longer so interested? splatoon 2 = major interest for me, post splatfests it will be much less interesting.  I'm more interested in waiting and hoping for re-releases/improved sequels with the next console. Of course if I were to find a switch for around £120 with a good game I may be swayed, but I'm not holding my breath!

£120 with a good game? Err, maybe in a decade or so! :laughing:

I'd expect a full blown Switch 2 in 2023 or more likely 2024 maybe. They've said they want it to last more than 6 years and look how long the 3DS stuck around for... 8 years! I just think you might be waiting a very long time which is a shame as there's tons of great games to play now.

1 hour ago, Pestneb said:

I'm more interested in waiting and hoping for re-releases/improved sequels with the next console.

Pretty sure that's not going to happen. There was obviously a need/desire for those with certain Wii U titles, which never got the audience they truly deserved due to the hardware flopping. But yeah, Switch is doing fine (and then some) so it's best games will more than likely remain exclusive to it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

£120 with a good game? Err, maybe in a decade or so! :laughing:

I'd expect a full blown Switch 2 in 2023 or more likely 2024 maybe. They've said they want it to last more than 6 years and look how long the 3DS stuck around for... 8 years! I just think you might be waiting a very long time which is a shame as there's tons of great games to play now.

And the Wii U? I think the switch lite is basically the 3ds successor, so the switch family, sure, but I think 2024 will be the end of the switch lite. 2022/2023 is probably a more realistic date for the tv compatible hardware to be upgraded to full "switch 2" though, I agree. I think with my life right now I just don't have the time to justify a switch purchase.

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Pretty sure that's not going to happen. There was obviously a need/desire for those with certain Wii U titles, which never got the audience they truly deserved due to the hardware flopping. But yeah, Switch is doing fine (and then some) so it's best games will more than likely remain exclusive to it.

Sadly I agree with you... I'm more hoping for improved sequels. however, they may re-release some of the big hitters to bulk up the launch line up initially... I can hope :D

the main game I'll miss is odyssey :(

4 minutes ago, Pestneb said:

Sadly I agree with you... I'm more hoping for improved sequels. however, they may re-release some of the big hitters to bulk up the launch line up initially... I can hope :D

the main game I'll miss is odyssey :(

Aren't you missing one key possibility here? What's to say that the true Switch successor wouldn't be fully compatible with all original Switch games? :D

I don't think you'll have to miss out on anything as I think Nintendo is probably set on the path of the Switch now, it likely wouldn't make sense for them to try anything too different.

Yes I know, this is Nintendo we're talking about but I don't think we'll see anything more than interations on the Switch hardware for many years to come now, including a successor. :smile:

• Like 2

It's worth pointing out that Nintendo intended Switch to be a fresh start, and a new system like iOS.  For what it's worth, I believe Switch games will simply run on Switch 2, rather than any of them having remasters.

EDIT - @S.C.G beat me to it by seconds! :grin:

Edited by Grazza
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Grazza said:

It's worth pointing out that Nintendo intended Switch to be a fresh start, and a new system like iOS.  For what it's worth, I believe Switch games will simply run on Switch 2, rather than any of them having remasters.

EDIT - @S.C.G beat me to it by seconds! :grin:

Great minds Grazza, great minds. ;)

But yes, essentially I think it's more or less agiven that Nintendo will keep the Switch as their business model for the forseeable future.

I certainly hope so, after building up a substantial physical Switch collection.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Great minds Grazza, great minds. ;)

But yes, essentially I think it's more or less agiven that Nintendo will keep the Switch as their business model for the forseeable future.

I certainly hope so, after building up a substantial physical Switch collection.

I'm similar, but with downloads.  I've treated the Switch as a way to collect the real versions of my childhood favourites - Double Dragon, Final Fight - and various other arcade games.  Combined with various indie titles, I've downloaded far more games than on any previous console.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pestneb said:

And the Wii U

The Wii U was Nintendo’s second biggest flop after the Virtual Boy. They supported it the minimum length of time (4 years) then ditched it.

The 3DS lasted eight years because the instalbase is huge. From the looks of things the Switch could be even bigger. 

• Like 1

I think that the Switch Lite will do alright as its significantly cheaper than the original and that's great for people who have a smaller budget and want to buy into the Nintendo franchise. Personally, when I'm at home I just use my PC or Xbox and rarely use the switch docked, so I don't think it will be a massive issue for those who just want to use it as a portable device. Some people may think that it's not good value in comparison to the original but I think it's just trying to target a different demographic and it's a good release. 

Nintendo Switch vs Switch lite

• Like 1

Advertising campaign seems to have kicked off, seen the ad on TV quite a few times already.

The grey one actually looks better than it didn't in the original  press shots.

I went into Game today and they had the retail boxes in the window, they're absolutely tiny in comparison to the original models box. I have to admit I'm getting kinda tempted to pick one up.

They looked absolutely fantastic in person at Insomnia. It almost made me want to get one, but the next time I took my Switch on a trip I realised I really, really don't need one.

It speaks to how Nintendo struck gold with the Switch when people are trying deperately to find a reason to get a second one.

• Haha 1

My left Switch joy con is drifting like crazy and I (for the second time) dropped my Switch when it didn't have it's hard shell on it and the right joy con has clean come off. It goes back on and works but doesn't lock into place anymore. 

This will be the fourth replacement joycon I've bought (all from my own clumsiness) but it almost makes me just want to sack it all off and buy a Lite. No moving parts, all one block of plastic. Perfect for my butter fingers. :blank:

If it docked to a TV id be all over it. Liking the grey one out the three colours the more I've seen of it. 

Some 'hands on' videos have been recommended on YT for me and from watching them, everyone seems to be glowing with praise for it. I imagine the SNES games will be a joy to play with that DPAD. 

My left Switch joy con is drifting like crazy and I (for the second time) dropped my Switch when it didn't have it's hard shell on it and the right joy con has clean come off. It goes back on and works but doesn't lock into place anymore. 
This will be the fourth replacement joycon I've bought (all from my own clumsiness) but it almost makes me just want to sack it all off and buy a Lite. No moving parts, all one block of plastic. Perfect for my butter fingers. :blank:
If it docked to a TV id be all over it. Liking the grey one out the three colours the more I've seen of it. 
Some 'hands on' videos have been recommended on YT for me and from watching them, everyone seems to be glowing with praise for it. I imagine the SNES games will be a joy to play with that DPAD. 
If you break the controller on the Switch Lite by dropping it again you'll be truly buggered though.

56 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
13 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

If you break the controller on the Switch Lite by dropping it again you'll be truly buggered though.

Oh absolutely. But I don't imagine the Lite would break from a drop. These drops haven't been bad - one was onto carpet but it landed on the joy con hence the thing flying off and now it doesn't lock in properly. 

It just always seems to be the Joy-Cons that take the hit. 

42 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Maybe the Joy-Cons are made of butter?

On 9/14/2019 at 2:50 PM, Aneres11 said:

Oh absolutely. But I don't imagine the Lite would break from a drop. These drops haven't been bad - one was onto carpet but it landed on the joy con hence the thing flying off and now it doesn't lock in properly. 

From what I understand, that is intentional. The joy-cons can be replaced, so they take the hit and lessen the blow on the system itself.

I've had my Switch fall out of my backpack straight onto concrete. No damage to the system, only the joy-con. Pretty happy about that 😅

• Like 1

Interesting video for those looking to maintain 2 x Switch and how to switch between both. 

Very doable. 

• Thanks 1

These two are not ok. 

After debating having one of these I ended up ordering one. All the reviews coming in have made me really glad I did as it's supposedly extremely comfortable and a huge step up from the original Switch in handheld mode. 

Being able to swap between both consoles relatively easily is also a bonus. 

Went with grey, yellow seems too distracting and the turquoise isn't really my style. Grey looks to frame the screen really nicely and games like Resident Evil won't look so odd as it would on a yellow console. :p 

Looking forward to using it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's here. 

Got an appointment now though so can't open it until later. 

UnIEWLp.jpg

Edited by Aneres11
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1