NEurope
Nicktendo

Nintendo Switch Lite announced - Releasing Sept. 20

2 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Just realised that Animal Crossing doesn't support cloud saves so unless that changes I can't see myself picking up the lite. 

It may still be possible to transfer Animal Crossing's save data locally (like it is with Splatoon 2) but that obviously means you'd need both Switch systems at the same time, which might not be ideal.

• Thanks 1

Not quite as small as I was hoping for TBH... Otherwise it’s exactly what I was expecting.

Shame that it’s gonna require a case as well (unless you want those sticks to snap off).  I guess the Switch will never be as portable as a 3DS/DS/GBA/GB...

It’s a Switch stripped down to the absolute bare essentials; the 2DS model of the Switch family.

Looks decent enough though; let’s just hope that the d-pad and sticks are good!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

It may still be possible to transfer Animal Crossing's save data locally (like it is with Splatoon 2) but that obviously means you'd need both Switch systems at the same time, which might not be ideal.

Oh right, I didn't know that was possible. If I got a Switch Lite I wouldn't get rid of my OG model anyway so if they offer that as a solution then I might well pick one up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm pretty tempted. I never use the motion controls/rumble features anyway and finally having a d-pad is a big plus for me. I think whether I buy one or not will depend on how the account system works. I don't want to be having to constantly switch and sign in between the two. I'm hoping it works like the other consoles where I can have your account on both at the same time.

Why not just get a custom Joycon with a d-pad mod? I’ve got one and it’s amazing!

It would be also be a lot cheaper than getting a Switch Lite, would work with any Switch and would be usable on the TV!

Oh this drifting issue with the sticks? Is that what I'm experiencing? It's doing my head in with Mario maker, but never experienced it before. Cursor often moves on it's own during editing, but I never had a problem with it during gameplay in any game so far.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Why not just get a custom Joycon with a d-pad mod? I’ve got one and it’s amazing!

It would be also be a lot cheaper than getting a Switch Lite, would work with any Switch and would be usable on the TV!

Nah. I don't like unofficial goods.

• Like 1

content-4-35865-nintendoswitchlitebanner.jpg

Nintendo Switch Lite has been announced, launches in September

Up on the front page. :peace:

I'm glad that I don't want one and have no reason to buy one, OG Switch for life... :cool:

...until they release the Pro version. :sad:

Fantastic news for anyone who has been waiting for this announcement though. :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's up for pre-order now on Amazon, GAME and the likes for £199.99 so yeah, a straight conversion from the US price as many suspected.

Tempted myself as one of the things I did dislike when I had my Switch was how flimsy it felt in handheld holding the joycons. Happy with the improved battery life, though the smaller vents on the console are a slight concern given that the Switch did tend to heat up quite badly when charging when I had it and when playing certain games.

I'll see as there's plenty of games coming out as it is.

Very disappointing for me. Where other companies are focusing on pro versions, Nintendo are going down the lite route. This is a downgrade in almost every sense so it's not really targeted at us, rather kids or people with less money who don't already have a switch. That said...Switch was what, £270 at launch? And if they do the old dollar to pound switch for this new model, it feels like a bad deal to me. Like, I would expect the cost of the standard Switch to have dropped at least £50 by now, since it's been out a while and they must surely be cheaper to manufacture. That would make this new console only marginally cheaper than what the standard Switch should really cost by now.

There's also the ramifications of dropping joycons from the box...they sold these things at a premium £70 and justified it by showing off the tech inside like the shaking of ice cubes. What are the chances that these features will be supported to the fullest now that not all Switch players have the joycons?

Call me bitter but I'm not seeing great value, nor is it a great endorsement of the Switch's current features. If anyone is thinking of getting one just for the D-pad, you're mad.

16 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

If anyone is thinking of getting one just for the D-pad, you're mad. emoji14.png

Real truth bomb right there.

@Dcubed already mentioned a better, cheaper solution for that.

I'm not interested in this. I like the hybrid nature of the Switch. Best thing about it.

2 hours ago, Sheikah said:

Where other companies are focusing on pro versions, Nintendo are going down the lite route.

The X released 4 years into the Xbox One life. The Pro, 3 years into PS4. We're currently 2 years into the Switch.

Nintendo are supposedly going both routes, with the Lite releasing first.

I do think it is overpriced. 

It should be £150 tops IMO. 

At the end of the day you're losing a lot of good features from the OG Switch, the biggest one being the TV play which was the whole selling point of the Switch to begin with. And the best thing about it for me. 

9 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

At the end of the day you're losing a lot of good features from the OG Switch, the biggest one being the TV play which was the whole selling point of the Switch to begin with. And the best thing about it for me. 

£150 is less than the current conversion from $200 dollars to pounds. I personally think £179.99 is a better price.

Earlier post from me (merged here)-

Heard about this recently but removing several features from the original won't get prompt me to buy one. Happy with the 3DS and Wii U for now. I hope Nintendo can release a shorter version of their Switch Lite trailer in the future as the one I saw went on for too long.

Edited by sumo73

23 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The X released 4 years into the Xbox One life. The Pro, 3 years into PS4. We're currently 2 years into the Switch.

Nintendo are supposedly going both routes, with the Lite releasing first.

Is there any proof of that? Nintendo releasing this version makes it even less likely in my eyes. They have probably figured out where the money is based on the 2DS (comparing it to the New 3DS).

12 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Absolutely, if you were to buy the joycons alone they cost 70 quid. This is 70 quid less than the original Switch. Yet you are losing a lot of other features too, and getting a smaller screen with no 1080P output option.

It's basically just a 720P display tablet now with some attached controllers. You can buy cheaper phones now with more power than that and higher resolution screens. My 2018 iPad was around 200 quid in fact.

Edited by Sheikah

3 minutes ago, sumo73 said:

£150 is less than the current conversion from $200 dollars to pounds. I personally think £179.99 is a better price.

Earlier post from me (merged here)-

Heard about this recently but removing several features from the original won't get prompt me to buy one. Happy with the 3DS and Wii U for now. I hope Nintendo can release a shorter version of their Switch Lite trailer in the future as the one I saw went on for too long.

By the current exchange rate it's about £160. In the US, the price is without tax. Lump on 20% VAT and you get £200.

• Like 3

It's clearly targeted at children or people who want a secondary Switch console to bring out and about. With the linking two consoles via NSOnline and game sharing, this is perfect for being able to take out your games when traveling while the original Switch is at home in the dock. If you then want to play on the TV, you switch to the OG Switch and play on.

For families with two children, this is also perfect. They have the original Switch for the oldest child and then the young one gets a sturdier version. Then they can play local multiplayer on the TV or wirelessly against each other.

And it's aimed at someone like @Hero-of-Time who does not want to bring the expensive (main) version outside but will bring a sturdyer, less expensive version outside with less worry. 

I do think it's too expensive for what it is - removing a lot of the tech in the JoyCons, removing TV-output, removing the Dock from the package and making it smaller should reduce the price a lot more than what we see. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Is there any proof of that? Nintendo releasing this version makes it even less likely in my eyes. They have probably figured out where the money is based on the 2DS (comparing it to the New 3DS).

Wall Street Journal started the rumour and they've been on the money for Switch rumours. Of course Nintendo are going to iterate and release a better version, it's what they do.

4 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

By the current exchange rate it's about £160. In the US, the price is without tax. Lump on 20% VAT and you get £200.

I just think £150 is not a good price for Nintendo and of course VAT has to be added on, thanks. As I said I think £179.99 is a better price for what is essentially a gaming tablet which would be cheaper than an Xbox One S for example. At £200 I see less of an appeal especially with the competition from others. Nintendo however knows that the Switch is very popular and that it will sell at it's suggested price.

If they sold it at £150, no one would buy the original Switch and they'd canabilise their entire concept.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

If they sold it at £150, no one would buy the original Switch and they'd canabilise their entire concept.

The £150 was not my idea (see above posts). Yes I agree pricing at that level would canabilise their concept and it would lead to confusion from consumers.

Just now, sumo73 said:

The £150 was not my idea (see above posts). Yes I agree pricing at that level would canabilise their concept and it would lead to confusion from consumers.

I was replying to @Aneres11, just forgot to quote him.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Not if they reduced the cost of the base original unit too. Which they really should be doing by now. For reference, less than 2 years into the PS4's life the system received an official price drop from 350 to 300 quid, and also included the Nathan Drake Collection...

Were there any solid rumours about the lite version? It could be that the rumour was that there was a new model coming, which now has been confirmed...

15 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Not if they reduced the cost of the base original unit too. Which they really should be doing by now. For reference, less than 2 years into the PS4's life the system received an official price drop from 350 to 300 quid, and also included the Nathan Drake Collection...

Maybe when sales slow down I guess. They're doing things like a bundle at the moment where you get it for £280 but it comes with £30 of eShop credit.

15 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Were there any solid rumours about the lite version? It could be that the rumour was that there was a new model coming, which now has been confirmed...

Rumours have always been two models, one Lite one Pro, with the Pro releasing in 2020 and replacing the current version.

Edited by Ronnie