NEurope
Nicktendo

Nintendo Switch Lite announced - Releasing Sept. 20

Hands on from CNET.

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-switch-lite-arrives-for-200-and-here-is-how-it-plays/

I immediately noticed that the Lite felt more compact than the original Switch. It's about as long as a Switch minus one of its Joy-Cons. It's slimmer, and the 5.5-inch screen makes the 720-pixel resolution look a bit sharper than the 6.2-inch Switch. But in some cases, it's harder to read smaller text.

I could see myself wanting to take the smaller Switch on trips while leaving the household Switch behind. But then, how would I transfer games between systems? Nintendo hasn't made it easy to do that, but there might be a solution coming. 

"Yes, you will have the ability to transfer between devices, your gameplay experiences. More to come on there, but that is the intention," Bowser told me. Could that be the multidevice account solution I've been waiting for? Maybe Nintendo has a plan in place to make it easier to switch Switches.

2 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

With this announcement, surely a Pro-version is also on the way. 

If the rumours were true then the Pro is set to replace the original model, with that eventually being phased out. There was talk that it wouldn't launch until early next year, which I suppose would make sense given that they are already launching this Lite model in a couple of months.

6 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

With this announcement, surely a Pro-version is also on the way. 

Not for a while, makes no sense to reveal it now or anywhere close to the Lite's release.

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

"Yes, you will have the ability to transfer between devices, your gameplay experiences. More to come on there, but that is the intention," Bowser told me. Could that be the multidevice account solution I've been waiting for? Maybe Nintendo has a plan in place to make it easier to switch Switches.

That's absolutely key. If they can nail transfering saves between devices, and make it quick and easy, then I'll pick up a Lite.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

That's absolutely key. If they can nail transfering saves between devices, and make it quick and easy, then I'll pick up a Lite.

Same. I suppose if you have an online subscription it's possible to do this anyway with the cloud storage. The issue will be for games that don't support such a feature, with Pokemon being the big one.

It’s still bloody huge! :laughing: You had one job, Nintendo...

Yeah, not for me. Had they got it smaller (much smaller) then maybe, but that still isn’t a true portable system IMO.

Edited by RedShell
  • Like 1

Do not understand why someone who already has a Switch would want to buy this, unless you're absolutely made of money. I thought the whole point of a Switch is that you can...switch.

It seems like it's aimed at young children and I imagine Santa will be delivering a lot of these this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tim B said:

Do not understand why someone who already has a Switch would want to buy this, unless you're absolutely made of money. I thought the whole point of a Switch is that you can...switch.

The Switch is a pretty expensive bit of kit and as such i've never taken mine to work with me to play on my lunch break. Having a cheaper, more portable model is good for those who don't want to risk breaking their main machine.

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The Switch is a pretty expensive bit of kit and as such i've never taken mine to work with me to play on my lunch break. Having a cheaper, more portable model is good for those who don't want to risk breaking their main machine.

So you want to rectify the situation by buying a slightly less expensive bit of kit, taking the cost of your Switch hardware up to around £479, and comes with the same risks of being lost/stolen/dropped/broken. Each to their own :cool:

Added the Switch Lite to my "Switch micro" mock-up:

Rogb70m.jpg

You can see just how minimal the size reduction is compared to a standard Switch! :o

• Thanks 3

Yup, also waiting for the pro version. This is doing nothing for me (wel except that DPad, goddammit). But maybe my brother will like it.

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

Added the Switch Lite to my "Switch micro" mock-up:

Rogb70m.jpg

You can see just how minimal the size reduction is compared to a standard Switch! :o

But it's done for usability reasons. Try playing Xenoblade 2 on your mocked up Switch, you just wouldn't be able to.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm pretty tempted. I never use the motion controls/rumble features anyway and finally having a d-pad is a big plus for me. I think whether I buy one or not will depend on how the account system works. I don't want to be having to constantly switch and sign in between the two. I'm hoping it works like the other consoles where I can have your account on both at the same time.

When they added the new account features I tried logging into my account on my brothers Switch and activating it as a secondary console to see if he could make use of my library of games. Once you've signed in once all you need to do is select the profile from the bottom of the screen and you have access to all of your games and cloud saves. The only caveat is that you can't play on two consoles at the same time using the same profile so as long as you aren't letting someone else play your Switch when you play handheld mode then you won't have any issues. It wasn't a worthwhile thing for me and my brother to do seeing as only one of us could play at a time but for one person owning two systems it should work great.

I'm tempted to pick one up myself but I don't have much cause to take my Switch out with me at the moment so it'll take some convincing for me to pick one up. Maybe when Animal Crossing comes out I'll be more in need of it. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Tim B said:

So you want to rectify the situation by buying a slightly less expensive bit of kit, taking the cost of your Switch hardware up to around £479, and comes with the same risks of being lost/stolen/dropped/broken. Each to their own :cool:

If I was to take my OG Switch outside and it was damaged or lost then it would cost £280 to replace. I'd rather buy and then risk taking out a cheaper model than risk having to replace the more expensive on. Plus, this Lite version looks sturdier than the OG due to not having any removable parts. Far more suitable for taking out and about.

I find it weird that you seem to have an issue with people wanting a second Switch just to use as a portable, especially when Nintendo as a business have been getting fans to buy various editions of the same console/handheld for generations now. There's a few members on here who must have fantastic collections of DS and 3DS consoles. This isn't anything new. ::shrug:

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Try playing Xenoblade 2

No thanks. :heh:

I take it you mean because the text in that game would be illegible on a 4" display? Well, I tested that back when I made the mock-up, and it's actually OK. I know you're a fellow iPhone SE owner, so grab your phone, hold it horizontally and load up a high quality YouTube video of Xenoblade 2 gameplay, see what you think. ;)

• Like 1

Obviously this means game over for the 3DS. But I love the fact that for the first time ever the handheld library = home console library. Saves me a lot of money :grin:

I do wonder if you can click in the analogue sticks? They stick out quite a bit which is not great if you want to transport the thing.

1 minute ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Obviously this means game over for the 3DS. But I love the fact that for the first time ever the handheld library = home console library. Saves me a lot of money :grin:

I do wonder if you can click in the analogue sticks? They stick out quite a bit which is not great if you want to transport the thing.

Regarding the sticks, a worry with this Lite model is if they haven't fixed the drifting issue. On the OG you could at least replace the joy-con or remove it and take it apart but with this you'd have to send in the whole unit for repair or dismantle the whole thing to try and fix it yourself.

• Like 1

They seem to be exactly the same sticks and buttons as the standard Joy-Con, so yeah, they'll be clickable. Unfortunately, it also means they'll probably be susceptible to stick drift too, which is going to be even less fun on a completely built-in system. :shakehead

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Regarding the sticks, a worry with this Lite model is if they haven't fixed the drifting issue. On the OG you could at least replace the joy-con or remove it and take it apart but with this you'd have to send in the whole unit for repair or dismantle the whole thing to try and fix it yourself.

If I remember rightly, drifting sticks were caused by a material Nintendo used in the manufacturing process. It was wearing away with extended use. Logically, they would have addressed this issue a long time ago and it shouldn't be an issue for Lite owners, or buyers of new joy-cons for that matter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedShell said:

They seem to be exactly the same sticks and buttons as the standard Joy-Con, so yeah, they'll be clickable. Unfortunately, it also means they'll probably be susceptible to stick drift too, which is going to be even less fun on a completely built-in system. :shakehead

With click in I actually meant click them into the system so they don't protrude. It would make the system a bit more flat so it can fit in a flatter case as well.

Edited by Vileplume2000

With click in I actually meant click them into the system so they don't protrude. It would make the system a bit more flat so it can fit in a flatter case as well.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that would've been cool. I used 3DS style slide pads on my mock-up, for that reason.

Just realised that Animal Crossing doesn't support cloud saves so unless that changes I can't see myself picking up the lite. 

If I was to take my OG Switch outside and it was damaged or lost then it would cost £280 to replace. I'd rather buy and then risk taking out a cheaper model than risk having to replace the more expensive on. Plus, this Lite version looks sturdier than the OG due to not having any removable parts. Far more suitable for taking out and about.
I find it weird that you seem to have an issue with people wanting a second Switch just to use as a portable, especially when Nintendo as a business have been getting fans to buy various editions of the same console/handheld for generations now. There's a few members on here who must have fantastic collections of DS and 3DS consoles. This isn't anything new. ::shrug:
Then you'll only need Nintendo to release a cheaper, smaller version of the Switch Lite that you can use to avoid damaging that one!

At some point in the future, you'll just be buying tiny, disposable Switch Nanos the size of a keyring which you can buy for a few quid each.

Just now, bob said:

At some point in the future, you'll just be buying tiny, disposable Switch Nanos the size of a keyring which you can buy for a few quid each.

takemymoney.gif :D