NEurope
Nicktendo

Nintendo Switch Lite announced - Releasing Sept. 20

Wow, that box looks so tiny! Guess they can pack it more like a mobile phone, as there is no bulky dock onboard.

1 hour ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Wow, that box looks so tiny! Guess they can pack it more like a mobile phone, as there is no bulky dock onboard.

Yeah it's definitely packaged like a DS, or handheld. But I guess that's what the Lite is, so why make it bigger than it needs to be. :)

y4miaEeLFD-1abS2Q-i9bBDXG3ee4GFrJJc5Eapo

Yellow reminds me of the old Gameboy colours. Kinda fitting since it releases the same day as Link's Awakening. Almost as if they planned that. :blank:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Picked up my Turquoise unit this morning along with Link's Awakening and it feels great in hand so far. One of my biggest issues with the original Switch was how flimsy and creaky it felt with the joycons but this has none of those issues. It's lighter than I thought it would be but it feels just right for what I want in a handheld iteration of the console.

Just away to jump into LA on it now, or at least after I've finished downloading Untitled Goose Game, Sayonara Wild Hearts and Baba Is You, so will get my first gist for how the console feels while playing but I'm impressed with the build quality of the console. Plus, the turquoise colour just looks so good. Glad I went with that one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't had chance to open mine yet. 

Going to do it shortly and see how it plays. Looks like between us we have all the colours. :D

Just need someone to get the Pokemon one. @Ike ? :p

Bloody hell! :eek:

Just opened it. The feel in hand is absolutely incredible. I can't believe how much better it feels - the buttons, the sticks, the shoulder buttons. 

Anyone on the fence needs to try and get a hands on with one as I am in awe at how good it feels. 

Hmm, think I am going to need a second SD card now... Forgot about that. 

• Like 1

Jesus, all of the positive impressions have got me super tempted to pick one up. I played through Celeste chapter 9 this week and my hands ached after a while playing in handheld mode, first time I've played handheld for an extended period in a while - I'd forgotten how uncomfortable it could get. 

Only worry with the Lite is that the analogue sticks will be as flimsy as the originals, I guess we're not going to know for a long time though.

27 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Please stop it N-E. I don’t want or need this, but...

I'll absolutely be in for the Switch Pro when it inevitably comes.

I've never had many, if any, problems with my Switch, but just the other night I felt like perhaps it all wasn't quite as solid as I usually find. It's not bad, by any means, but the Joy-Con on the right side of the unit creaks ever so slightly and just confirms my feeling that I'll ultimately upgrade eventually.

Another thing that hopefully isn't anything serious is that a few times over the last couple of weeks I've found controls to be unresponsive.

A couple of games of Rocket League, when playing on the TV at least, I've had occasions where the car wont react immediately to my input or will continue to accelerate long after I've stopped pressing the accelerator.

It also has happened today with Link's Awakening where I slashed my sword but Link reacted as if I was holding in B. It happened twice during my short play time but I haven't figured out if it's something to do with my TV, the controllers or even just from the stuttering frame rate..

2 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

Haven't had chance to open mine yet. 

Going to do it shortly and see how it plays. Looks like between us we have all the colours. :D

Just need someone to get the Pokemon one. @Ike ? :p

Ahaha, I'm not doing that again. :heh:

I don't like it that much to be honest. I'm sure @Serebii will be picking it up though.

• Like 1

Trying to find a decent case is impossible for the Lite at the moment. 

Ideally, I wanted a clear shell, and I managed to find the one pictured below (arrived this morning) on Amazon. But it makes the buttons almost impossible to press! 

It did come with a tempered glass screen protector though, which I've thrown on so might just buy one now to cover the back. 

Could do with a sleeve too really for travel. 

iJNn4XU.jpg

Wb62rnP.jpg

21KK7ym.jpg

mIfNr5G.jpg

8NGcfRZ.jpg

It's protective, but not quite what I was after. 

• Thanks 1

Nice deal on at Curry’s currently for a Lite and Links Awakening for £219. I’d post the link but my phone is being weird. 

So it seems the Switch Lite uses the same sticks as the original Joy-Cons. Lets hope this doesn't mean more drifting, because you can't swap out the controllers this tine around. 

Has anyone experienced any Joy-Con drift on the Lite yet? I have seen that a few people are already encountering it after only owning the console a week or so. 

giphy-3.gif

5 minutes ago, Tony Sharp said:

Has anyone experienced any Joy-Con drift on the Lite yet? I have seen that a few people are already encountering it after only owning the console a week or so. 

giphy-3.gif

I'd take those reports with a grain of salt tbh

From what I heard, the drift is still there in some extreme cases but it does correct in some instances due to the slight modification Nintendo made to the metal part related to the sticks.

I can't speak from personal experience though, aside from to say that I've never experienced joy-con drift as far as I can remember but then I'm perhaps not the best judge of it.

Mainly because I tend to use a Pro Controller and only use Joy-Cons when I have to either in portable mode or in games which require you to use them which I tend to not play.

I'd take those reports with a grain of salt tbh

How come? I've no reason to suspect they are lying. I've seen a number of news outlets reporting on this, including Techradar.

I think some people in the games community are more than capable of lying. Joycon drift on what was it, the day after the thing came out? Call me cynical but it reeks of 'gamer wanting internet points'. Not saying it's not an issue on the OG Switch, of course it is, but these early reports probably wouldn't have happened if it wasn't a big talking point atm. The reports of the sticks being identical was a complete lie after all, and that came from website.

New Theory Suggests Nintendo Has Tried To Prevent Switch Lite Stick Drift After All

There's an awful lot of confusion surrounding the never-ending topic of stick drift at the moment, with some Switch Lite owners suggesting that their new consoles are suffering the same fate as seen in the original Joy-Con.

Things soon escalated when a teardown video of the console shared by Spawn Wave suggested that the sticks are identical to those found in the original Joy-Con - and could therefore be susceptible to the same issues - but a second teardown video soon found that there was a small difference in each stick's metal casing. Between the mixed messages and the user reports flooding social media (which can't always be fully believed), the whole situation has been a bit of a mess.

We've now stumbled across a new theory, however, which we feel inclined to agree with. It doesn't answer why users have been suffering with drift on their Switch Lites, but it does present a valid argument for why the metal casing has been changed on the new console and suggests that Nintendo has attempted to combat drift issues going forward.

@GoodonSwitch's theory argues that the change in the metal casing (which is essentially a small bump in the middle) has been put in place to prevent the stick's spring from getting stuck in an incorrect position. In the original Joy-Con models, the metal part was a completely flat surface, which potentially causes this spring to slide around and get trapped away from its neutral spot; this new casing seems to fix the spring to the centre.

I think some people in the games community are more than capable of lying. Joycon drift on what was it, the day after the thing came out? Call me cynical but it reeks of 'gamer wanting internet points'. Not saying it's not an issue on the OG Switch, of course it is, but these early reports probably wouldn't have happened if it wasn't a big talking point atm. The reports of the sticks being identical was a complete lie after all, and that came from website.
New Theory Suggests Nintendo Has Tried To Prevent Switch Lite Stick Drift After All
There's an awful lot of confusion surrounding the never-ending topic of stick drift at the moment, with some Switch Lite owners suggesting that their new consoles are suffering the same fate as seen in the original Joy-Con.
Things soon escalated when a teardown video of the console shared by Spawn Wave suggested that the sticks are identical to those found in the original Joy-Con - and could therefore be susceptible to the same issues - but a second teardown video soon found that there was a small difference in each stick's metal casing. Between the mixed messages and the user reports flooding social media (which can't always be fully believed), the whole situation has been a bit of a mess.
We've now stumbled across a new theory, however, which we feel inclined to agree with. It doesn't answer why users have been suffering with drift on their Switch Lites, but it does present a valid argument for why the metal casing has been changed on the new console and suggests that Nintendo has attempted to combat drift issues going forward.
@GoodonSwitch's theory argues that the change in the metal casing (which is essentially a small bump in the middle) has been put in place to prevent the stick's spring from getting stuck in an incorrect position. In the original Joy-Con models, the metal part was a completely flat surface, which potentially causes this spring to slide around and get trapped away from its neutral spot; this new casing seems to fix the spring to the centre.

They have joined the class action lawsuit, if they didn't have to prove it to do so then the lie would come out later and they'd face legal ramifications for lying. No conspiracy here.

I'm sure I could get my joy cons to drift if I smash the sticks around for half an hour. It's probably an easy issue to replicate if you really wanted to.

43 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm sure I could get my joy cons to drift if I smash the sticks around for half an hour. It's probably an easy issue to replicate if you really wanted to.

My joy-cons started to drift a few days ago. I've rarely used them since I use a pro since day 1. The pro is now almost unusable, I really have to return it. Switch controllers are shit. So many great games, but no good controller to play them with.

52 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Nintendo have already produced a machine with this issue and then outright refused (even to this day) to officially admit there is a problem with the joycons. I don't understand why you think Nintendo couldn't manage it again and instead choose to believe unconnected people are for some reason colluding in a lie, going so far as to join a class action lawsuit? It's bad form to flagrantly support Nintendo on this issue when they have handled it so badly with the original Switch.

Edited by Sheikah

7 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

My joy-cons started to drift a few days ago. I've rarely used them since I use a pro since day 1. The pro is now almost unusable, I really have to return it. Switch controllers are shit. So many great games, but no good controller to play them with.

Are those joycons or the controller on the Switch Lite that you're referring to?

6 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Are those joycons or the controller on the Switch Lite that you're referring to?

Yeah sorry, I wasn't following the conversation, just caught the last 2 messages.. I'm talking about my day 1 joy-cons and pro controllers, I'm not getting a Switch lite.