NEurope
Nicktendo

Nintendo Switch Lite announced - Releasing Sept. 20

59 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

If they sold it at £150, no one would buy the original Switch and they'd canabilise their entire concept.

But I feel like they're doing that in a sense anyway. Or they're certainly muddying the concept slightly which is a shame, because after the Wii / Wii U confusion, I thought they'd made huge strides. But this is a bit backwards again. 

It is almost as if this is touted as their handheld option, but it makes no sense when that option is still available on the OG Switch. 

I do think it's a good option for kids but the removal of TV play and the price is the strange thing for me. 

13 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

It is almost as if this is touted as their handheld option, but it makes no sense when that option is still available on the OG Switch. 

It makes complete sense. The OG Switch is supposed to be the superior product that can do it all.

If the Lite connected to a tv... again, no one would buy the OG Switch. What would be the point?

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

Were there any solid rumours about the lite version? It could be that the rumour was that there was a new model coming, which now has been confirmed...

if you go on ERA there was a 139 page thread (thankfully the OP was updated a few times) that collated most rumours, after the WSJ article came out some third party case makers new products leaked that were cases for a smaller switch (obviously the switch lite) there were also rumours of new more powerful chipsets being made for nintendo further cementing the pro version rumours. 

Now with the official announcement effectively confirming the WSJ article in part it makes sense that an updated Switch is coming. Given the holidays and not wanting to canibalise sales for the Lite and pokemon i think speculation of March would be a good time for a pro version to replace the original switch.

5 minutes ago, Agent Gibbs said:

if you go on ERA

Be sure to have a wash afterwards

• Haha 2

From a technical point of view, I don't understand why they removed the option for TV-output. It's the same tech inside the two Switches and the cooling system is supposedly the same as well. I don't believe they had to get rid of the HDMI out in order to shrink it as I don't think that really is a separate unit now that everything goes through USB-C. So.. why would they remove the TV-out?

I honestly think the price is fine. Look at the 3DS XL before it was discontinued. That was around the £180 price range. The Vita was also kicking around the £200 area as well. When you consider that the Lite is a hell of a lot more powerful than both devices that I mentioned, and is a portable that will play console style games, I think the price is pretty much what it should be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sumo73 said:

I just think £150 is not a good price for Nintendo and of course VAT has to be added on, thanks. As I said I think £179.99 is a better price for what is essentially a gaming tablet which would be cheaper than an Xbox One S for example. At £200 I see less of an appeal especially with the competition from others. Nintendo however knows that the Switch is very popular and that it will sell at it's suggested price.

I agree completely, £179.99 would be a much better price. It’d place it £100 cheaper than the OG version. £199 is very steep considering the functionality it offers and the relative price of the other consoles. They could compensate for this by offering a free game or e-shop voucher, though I doubt they will until Nov/Dec.

Expensive gadgets is just something we have to get used to now, unfortunately, thanks to the pound faltering. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

So.. why would they remove the TV-out?

Business decision.

The OG Switch is supposed to be the superior product that can do it all.

If the Lite connected to a tv... no one would buy the OG Switch. What would be the point?

35 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It makes complete sense. The OG Switch is supposed to be the superior product that can do it all.

If the Lite connected to a tv... again, no one would buy the OG Switch. What would be the point?

Of course people would buy the OG Switch. 

It's a much more versatile piece of kit. Plus, a lot of people have multiple Joy-Con's which can now no longer be used if you are coming from a current Switch. 

You also lost all of that technology within them, which again was a big selling point of the Switch to begin with. 

Granted, Nintendo haven't really done a great deal with HD rumble since 1-2 Switch, and I personally find the vibration to be pretty bad on my Switch so have knocked it off, but the point remains. 

It should be cheaper and that's my opinion. You can have yours. 

15 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Of course people would buy the OG Switch. 

It's a much more versatile piece of kit. Plus, a lot of people have multiple Joy-Con's

I'm talking about new customers. New customers don't have lots of joy cons.

If the Lite connnected to a tv, why would anyone looking to get their first Switch buy the OG model when you can buy a smaller, lighter, sturdier, better battery life model that does the exact same thing (except for table top mode) for £80 cheaper? HD Rumble isn't that much of a selling point.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Weird 1

48 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

From a technical point of view, I don't understand why they removed the option for TV-output. It's the same tech inside the two Switches and the cooling system is supposedly the same as well. I don't believe they had to get rid of the HDMI out in order to shrink it as I don't think that really is a separate unit now that everything goes through USB-C. So.. why would they remove the TV-out?

I imagine they removed the TV out because the Tegra chip it's using is designed for much lower clock speeds, hence the overall smaller device. The moment you add a TV out, the chip needs to more than double it's GPU performance, so you need to add back in bigger cooling solutions. 

2 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I imagine they removed the TV out because the Tegra chip it's using is designed for much lower clock speeds, hence the overall smaller device. The moment you add a TV out, the chip needs to more than double it's GPU performance, so you need to add back in bigger cooling solutions. 

So you're suggesting that they have modified the Tegra X1 to perform lower (or replaced it with a cheaper variant with lower specs that are identical to the specs the OG Switch has when in handheld mode)? I guess that would be a valid and possible reason.

55 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I honestly think the price is fine. Look at the 3DS XL before it was discontinued. That was around the £180 price range. The Vita was also kicking around the £200 area as well. When you consider that the Lite is a hell of a lot more powerful than both devices that I mentioned, and is a portable that will play console style games, I think the price is pretty much what it should be.

The 3DS was always horrendously overpriced though for the spec (it was a very low-fi machine), whereas the Vita pricing was decent (and prices dropped reasonably well) but they made up for it by charging way too much for the proprietary memory cards.

I don't think the spec is worth the asking price, just comparing it to any tablet you will see they have far better tech for less (or the same) money. Compare it to the regular Switch too and it's only 70 quid less, which could be attributed to the lack of 70 quid joycons - but it has several other compromises too.

These consoles are generally overpriced because they know they can get away with it. If you want to play the next Pokemon you have to buy the console.

6 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

The 3DS was always horrendously overpriced though for the spec (it was a very low-fi machine), whereas the Vita pricing was decent (and prices dropped reasonably well) but they made up for it by charging way too much for the proprietary memory cards.

I don't think the spec is worth the asking price, just comparing it to any tablet you will see they have far better tech for less (or the same) money. Compare it to the regular Switch too and it's only 70 quid less, which could be attributed to the lack of 70 quid joycons - but it has several other compromises too.

These consoles are generally overpriced because they know they can get away with it. If you want to play the next Pokemon you have to buy the console.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I think £199 for a portable only Switch is fine. ::shrug:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I think £199 for a portable only Switch is fine. ::shrug:

That's the conditioning they've done to you over the years. It's worked :p

Just now, Sheikah said:

That's the conditioning they've done to you over the years. It's worked :p

Nah. It's called perspective. :p 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It is fine. You know what entitled gamers are like, always wanting everything for nothing or unrealistically dirt cheap.

Edited by Ronnie

Just now, Ronnie said:

It is fine. You know what entitled gamers are like, always wanting everything for dirt cheap or bargain basement prices.

I'm quite surprised at the grief i'm getting over wanting one and thinking the price is fine, TBH. I feel like i'm posting over on Era. :laughing:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It is fine. You know what entitled gamers are like, always wanting everything for nothing or unrealistically dirt cheap.

Or even fairly priced. Gamers these days!

I couldn't care less what people spend their money on tbh. If my opinion is that it is overpriced then that's it. 

It's nothing to do with being entitled either but carry on. :)

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

why they removed the option for TV-output.

You'd have to accomodate for people who hadn't bought a second set of joycons or pro controller, so it would have to connect via a long cable so you could use it as a controller, possibly? that and suddenly it would look very much like a ....WiiU

5 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

I do think it is overpriced. 

It should be £150 tops IMO. 

At the end of the day you're losing a lot of good features from the OG Switch, the biggest one being the TV play which was the whole selling point of the Switch to begin with. And the best thing about it for me. 

I agree.  The Joycons on their own are £80.  Add on the cost of the dock and you’re looking at a combined value of around £350.  You’re actually losing money by comparison!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I agree.  The Joycons on their own are £80.  Add on the cost of the dock and you’re looking at a combined value of around £350.  You’re actually losing money by comparison!

By that logic the Switch Lite should be priced £50. Come on. It doesn't work like that.

Edited by Ronnie

By that logic the Switch Lite should be priced £50. Come on. It doesn't work like that.
He's just pointing out what's true - that the cost of the system itself should be cheaper given the omission of components which are priced high by Nintendo. There's no denying that the cost of the Lite + one pair of joycons is the same as the cost of the original Switch, but you're losing a lot more besides.