NEurope
Nicktendo

Nintendo Switch Lite announced - Releasing Sept. 20

Oh hi there.

DOES NOT CONNECT TO A TV.
- Handheld mode only.
- 5.5 inch screen (slightly smaller than the original).
- 720p display.
- Battery life is 20-30% longer than the current Nintendo Switch.
- Non-detachable Joy-cons.
- No IR camera or HD Rumble.
- Separate Joy-cons required for games like 1-2 Switch, Super Mario Party.
- D-Pad included.
- Releases 20th September in Grey, Blue and Yellow.

image0.jpg

Edited by Nicktendo
Added information and comparison chart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's a pass from me. Don't usually play handheld anyway. Will wait for a "pro version".

It makes sense release before Q3 with a small lead-up. There are no big releases left in Q2 bar Fire Emblem so I doubt they'll lose out on many sales. It's definitely aimed at the younger market and I expect we'll see a price of £160-200. A nice addition to the family, but there are still large bezels and no word about specs yet. Probably a 720p screen again.

Nice! What sort of price I wonder, $199/£199?

I have to say though, it doesn't look that much smaller than the current Switch. I guess ergonomics factored in there, any smaller and it wouldn't be comfortable to use maybe.

Alright. Need some specs (especially size) and info on price. This is exactly what I was waiting for and if the price is right, this is something worth saving for. 

$199 confirmed, so probably like £189/199 over here or something like that.

The new console features a 5.5 inch 720p screen and will have a battery that last between 20% and 30% longer than the current Nintendo Switch.

switch-1140x641.jpg

Pfgmmlg.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Alright. Need some specs (especially size) and info on price. This is exactly what I was waiting for and if the price is right, this is something worth saving for. 

Well it's down as $199 so I wouldn't be surprised if we get screwed over and it's a direct conversion to £199/€199.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Well it's down as $199 so I wouldn't be surprised if we get screwed over and it's a direct conversion to £199/€199.

Meh...will wait for a sale then. 175€ would be perfect (i.e. more or less the $ to € conversion).

Edited by drahkon

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

No tax in the US price means you can bet your house on it being that. The pound is in the gutter anyway so it wouldn't be a surprise.

It's cheaper than the normal Switch and a great option, especially for those who prefer handheld play.

I get that it's a handheld but it's a shame it doesn't have the option to connect to a TV and work as a the controller though. :(

For me personally, as someone who has their Switch permanently in TV mode, I'm still glad I have the normal Switch. Although if the rumours about two models coming were true, I might change my mind depending on what the other model has to offer...

Main thing for me is if you have this and the regular Switch how likely save data will sync between the two.

I'm pretty tempted. I never use the motion controls/rumble features anyway and finally having a d-pad is a big plus for me. I think whether I buy one or not will depend on how the account system works. I don't want to be having to constantly switch and sign in between the two. I'm hoping it works like the other consoles where I can have your account on both at the same time.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm hoping it works like the other consoles where I can have your account on both at the same time.

Well, it's Nintendo so... :p 

• Haha 4

I don't want to be having to constantly switch

Probably neither are the console for you then.
  • Haha 4

Just now, bob said:

Probably neither are the console for you then.

I was waiting for someone to make such a comment. Should have guessed it would be you. :p 

• Like 1

Where's that "It prints money" gif...

Pokemon special edition announced

Pokemon_Hardware.jpg?download=1

See I'd buy that one if it didn't have the ugly Pokemon designs on the back

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

Nintendo have already had Japan on lock down since the release of the OG Switch and this is really going to push it over the edge. This model, along with Pokemon + Animal Crossing early next year, are going to do stupid numbers.

I like how they have completely different colour schemes to the OG switch - makes them easier to spot and stand out.

Hands on impressions from the Verge: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/7/10/20687801/nintendo-switch-lite-price-release-date-size-battery-life-motion-control-games

There are a number of improvements with the Switch Lite. It’s significantly lighter, for one thing; I played with one for around 20 minutes, and the difference was noticeable, particularly when you pick up an original Switch afterwards. The Switch Lite also feels more sturdy since the Joy-Con controllers are now part of the device. The controller layout is largely identical on the Lite, though the new Switch has a proper d-pad, replacing the not-so-precise directional buttons on the original.

It’s also just a really nice piece of hardware. The Lite comes in multiple colors at launch — yellow, grey, and turquoise — as well as a special light grey Pokémon Sword and Shield edition, and they all have a pleasant matte texture that feels great to hold. And while the screen is slightly smaller, it didn’t bother me much during intense battles in Breath of the Wild. (Despite the change in size, the resolution for the Switch Lite’s display remains the same 720p as the original Switch, though curiously you can no longer adjust the brightness.)

If you take a single Joy-Con off of an original Switch, you’ll have a good idea of the size of the new version. There are some other nice touches as well, like bezels and an air vent that match the color of the hardware, so they blend in better. Overall it’s a solid device, and exactly what you’d expect from this kind of refresh.

Aside from the new design and those few changes, the Switch Lite and the original Switch are largely identical. Nintendo says there’s no performance difference between the two models, and you can still use the same accessories with the Lite, including Joy-Con controllers, the Switch Pro Controller, and the Poké Ball Plus. The Switch Lite still supports Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and NFC, and has built-in gyro controls.

The Nintendo Switch Lite is launching on September 20th — the same day as Link’s Awakening — for $199.99. The Pokémon version will be out on November 8th at the same price.

Edited by Ronnie