NEurope
Ronnie

Super Mario Maker 2 - Level Share/Feedback thread

My new level is up! The idea this time was to make a level where it was quite hard - though by all means not impossible - to die. Very few enemies and pits, and most of the platforming challenges you fall down from just give you the chance to try again. Interested to see what it does to the clear percentage.. Anyway, see what you think!

• Thanks 1

On 27/07/2019 at 7:43 PM, Dcubed said:

And here's another! (I'M ON FIRE!! :D )

I couldn't help myself... it's a puzzle level!! My first puzzle level of SMM2! :D 

Just gave this one a go this morning - so clever! Felt satisfying to finally make it to the end. :bowdown:

• Thanks 1

Those of you that have played my latest level (Wrath of the Wigglers) how did you find it difficulty-wise? I'm noticing that the clear times on it are pretty lengthy, so I'm wondering if it's perhaps too tough? :hmm:

I liked it, had some trouble with the spin jump bit. Although I find it hard to put a finger on why I had trouble with it. The most difficult jump was with the red wiggler on the vertical rope. The jump to the next one was quite high and the wriggler has to be in the highest position to make it, which is difficult to time. First bit I breezed through though. 

• Thanks 1

Been occupied with Fire Emblem but managed to finish a simple level I put together, guess the film series it's based on 😜 1R7-GM7-3FF

Edited by ViPeR

18 hours ago, ViPeR said:

Been occupied with Fire Emblem [..]

Yeah me too. Won't be here for a while, but will be back after it. I was working on several projects, and will continue where I left off then.

Two new old levels for you guys to enjoy!

Had to make quite a few tweaks and changes to make these old SMM1 levels work in SMM2; was harder to port over than I thought it’d be!

Fans of my old SMM1 courses may appreciate a few new surprises along the way with these remakes ;) 

Edited by Dcubed

Ok, fine.  Here’s an actual new course for you!

As the tweet implies; this entire course is just one big excuse for a really cool boss battle idea I came up with, and isn’t meant to be all that intricate really.  This course is completely stupid, it’s dumb; and I’m sure you’ll like it! :peace:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

On 04/08/2019 at 5:42 PM, Dcubed said:

As the tweet implies; this entire course is just one big excuse for a really cool boss battle idea I came up with, and isn’t meant to be all that intricate really.  This course is completely stupid, it’s dumb; and I’m sure you’ll like it! :peace:

I did like it. :) Well, apart from the brutal cruelty towards poor Yoshi. :heh:

I've kind of lost my Mario Making mojo at the moment unfortunately... :( Have several levels on the go, but just can't seem to focus on, or finish any of them. ::shrug: Probably best to take a bit of a break from the creation process and play other people's stuff instead.

Hopefully the multiplayer with friends update will arrive soon too.

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

I did like it. :) Well, apart from the brutal cruelty towards poor Yoshi. :heh:

I've kind of lost my Mario Making mojo at the moment unfortunately... :( Have several levels on the go, but just can't seem to focus on, or finish any of them. ::shrug: Probably best to take a bit of a break from the creation process and play other people's stuff instead.

Hopefully the multiplayer with friends update will arrive soon too.

You’re not the only one...I have a course I’ve been working on for a while, but I’ve struggled to really make it come together (Super Mario Bros: Revengence was one I whipped up when I needed to take a break from it).

I haven’t played SMM2 for about a week though, so I’m gonna give it another crack probably tomorrow and see if it has given me enough of a fresh perspective to make my idea work and make it fun :) 

• Like 1

I've not been working on stuff because of Fire Emblem. But I actually feel like finishing several levels this week.

Oh by the way, @Dcubed, thanks for the in-game comments. ;) (that one thing isn't a softlock though, and works as intended :p)

• Haha 1

Finally got a new level finished/uploaded, don't expect much though as it's pretty short/basic:

:peace:

• Thanks 2

@Dcubed, thanks for the comment earlier today. And yeah, that was indeed my way of forcing people to find Baby Face. :D 

Anyway you’ll be glad to know that finding him is optional again (and much trickier ;)) in my latest stages:

That SMK themed one is slightly bonkers. :laughing: I designed it as a multiplayer level, but didn’t have the opportunity to properly test it as such. Hopefully it can be cleared ok. :heh: 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

@Dcubed, thanks for the comment earlier today. And yeah, that was indeed my way of forcing people to find Baby Face. :D 

I was watching him play that level and remember saying near the start of it "Baby Face is gonna be right at the 1-up." We both might have done a little cheer when he found it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Man, @RedShell! You’re on fire with these new courses! You’re just cranking these out!

Haven’t played your latest two yet, but will do so soon.

Me and @Glen-i both cackled like hyenas when we unlocked the secret level after getting past the checkpoint; you’re right, it does get bonkers after that point ;) 

• Like 2

@RedShell <sigh>, thast was the easy version. :rolleyes: I'm uploading the much harder regular version later. Funny that I'm making a snakes and ice level a few days after you made one though. I didn't play yours before finishing mine. It was made for a competition by Nintendo Netherlands, that's why I got off my ass and finished a level in a timely fashion for once.

As for your level: like I commented: I liked how you ended it, looping back to the beginning. Found the key door, but not the key.

Grow with the flow: also liked it. But disappointed there wasn't more.. Though I can combine your checkpoint idea with one of my ideas for a future level.

Gave your Clown Kart level a like because while not very interesting solo, I can imagine it being hilarious in multiplayer. I know the problem.

@Dcubed You're levels often have me stumped..

Couldn't beat Lock 'n Keys (yet). Can get to the end, but missing the key in the hardblocks.. Don't know how to get it, the bombs don't go that far.. Oh yeah I have a video of that particular one, I'll upload it later.

Did manage to beat Open the 8 doors.. But that too was a mental workout! Love the trick with the (copter)mushroom.

I never commented on them before, but I also loved the cross-generations set. Though I never managed to beat the NSMBU one (..yet). Can't make that jump? The SMB1 was also hard for exploiting a mechanic that's not even native to SMB1.. One point of criticism: it's harder for people playing this in Endless, not aware they're part of a set. There will be lots of red herrings to confuse them.

I'm not caught up with all the levels, nor did I comment on all the ones I played before Fire Emblem..

I'll single this one out: @Mike I loved Thwompwing Fortress (I think, bad memory haha). I had no problem with the difficulty, but it may be a tad too long? I was almost running out of time, but then died. Can't remember if I was near the end at that point, and it was my first run, so perhaps it's not that bad. I also had a slight problem with the movement of one of the thwomps, but can't remember the details.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I never commented on them before, but I also loved the cross-generations set. Though I never managed to beat the NSMBU one (..yet). Can't make that jump? The SMB1 was also hard for exploiting a mechanic that's not even native to SMB1.. One point of criticism: it's harder for people playing this in Endless, not aware they're part of a set. There will be lots of red herrings to confuse them.

This! I also couldn't finish the jump in the NSMBU level and meant to ask about it but forgot.

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

<sigh>, thast was the easy version. :rolleyes: I'm uploading the much harder regular version later. Funny that I'm making a snakes and ice level a few days after you made one though. I didn't play yours before finishing mine. It was made for a competition by Nintendo Netherlands, that's why I got off my ass and finished a level in a timely fashion for once.

Hehehe! Yeah, I found it really tricky :blush: was very satisfying to finally clear it though. Already having nightmares about the regular version. :hehe:

Is there a prize in this competition? :cool:

As for your level: like I commented: I liked how you ended it, looping back to the beginning. Found the key door, but not the key.

Spoiler

It's at the very beginning of the level, directly above the start area. ;)

Grow with the flow: also liked it. But disappointed there wasn't more.. Though I can combine your checkpoint idea with one of my ideas for a future level.

That was my first level after a break from creating for a while, so it was just a short one to get back into it. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the "checkpoint". :D

Gave your Clown Kart level a like because while not very interesting solo, I can imagine it being hilarious in multiplayer. I know the problem.

Yeah, I don't think it's even been played in multiplayer yet, which is annoying. :blank: I'd love to see what kind of mayhem it can produce, hopefully @Dcubed & co. can give it a good test at some point. :)

Anyway, cheers for the honest feedback, as always.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Is there a prize in this competition? :cool:

There is, but it's open to residents of The Netherlands only, as far as I understand. Must be a local thing, because I didn't see a competition on the UK site. It's a small competition, prize is a Mario Maker notebook.

Edit: @Vileplume2000, and was @markderoos playing this? Or for anyone curious:

https://www.nintendo.nl/Nieuws/2019/augustus/Stuur-jouw-beste-Super-Mario-Maker-2-level-in-en-win--1621432.html

That was my first level after a break from creating for a while, so it was just a short one to get back into it. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the "checkpoint". :D

I guess I can tell you, as it's just the basic idea at this point: I wanted to do a level with 2 difficulties, but not with separate paths. You get the easy version first, go about your way normally, then at the end you have the option of doing the same level again, but altered to increase the difficulty, and with better rewards. Altering the level using Switches and the like. Or just like you were teasing, having just a complete extra section afterwards. When I hit that surprise flagpole, I was thinking "No goddammit, I want that door!" Then I got through the door and.. Well you know. The only problem with this is that it won't be interesting for Speedrunners.. But it may be helpful in Endless if you promise extra 1-ups. Risk vs reward thing.

Yeah, I don't think it's even been played in multiplayer yet, which is annoying. :blank:

My multiiplayer levels haven't either, which is why I intend to be more generous with the likes when I come across them. Hope others will do the same.

To come back to that flagpole checkpoint thing, funnily enough it also reminded me of a video I saw just a few days ago.

Spoiler

The "end" of the level and his reaction are at 16:46.

If you can't stand the guy or don't want to waste 20 minutes:

Spoiler

The level hid a flagpole halfway, near the checkpoint. It was there up for grabs, but people are misdirected to do the other half of the level. Then the WTF comes up when they get back to that halfway point.

Edited by Sméagol

3 hours ago, Sméagol said:

@Dcubed You're levels often have me stumped..Couldn't beat Lock 'n Keys (yet). Can get to the end, but missing the key in the hardblocks.. Don't know how to get it, the bombs don't go that far.. Oh yeah I have a video of that particular one, I'll upload it later.

Pro Tip 1: The key in the hardblocks is a complete red herring; you can't collect it.

Pro Tip 2: To get the final key... think about what you did the last time you saw a giant coin key... This level rewards close observation ;) 

Did manage to beat Open the 8 doors.. But that too was a mental workout! Love the trick with the (copter)mushroom.

I'm not caught up with all the levels, nor did I comment on all the ones I played before Fire Emblem..

Glad you liked them! Yeah, I did consider the Endless issue; but sadly there's no real way around it... The person playing one of these levels in Endless isn't going to get the concept unless they view my profile and read the description, so I just had to accept that.

• Thanks 1

I finally overcame my writer’s block! Here’s a brand new stage! :D 

It’s exactly what it says on the tin.  Enjoy!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Me and @Glen-i played Super Koopa Kart BTW @RedShell!  It’s fun! It works well, but it doesn’t work as well in local same screen co-op as it does in separate screen VS; since the leading player cannot pull the camera too far ahead of the lagging players.

There’s no real way around it really, but this level would be a blast if you were playing online or had multiple copies of the game & multiple Switches to hand! :D 

BTW, here’s some hilarity from us playing your other new course...

... and something else that’ll make you happy...

Spoiler

EDUZ5ctU8AA8Gde.jpg

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weird 1

@Dcubed Here's the video. You should really put more effort into removing your softlocks you know. :p

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

@Dcubed Here's the video. You should really put more effort into removing your softlocks you know. :p

That’s... actually legit impressive! Well done! You found the secret bonus exit!

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

At some point you have to draw the line and punish people for being completely insane.

I've finally made a new level. Weeks with no inspiration and then @Dcubed said something stupid and I immediately had the concept down.

Oscar worthy story telling in this one. I'll wait patiently for my reward.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1