NEurope
Ronnie

Super Mario Maker 2 - Level Share/Feedback thread

An auto-Mario level very loosely based on one I made in the first Mario Maker. Annoyingly, the final section of the game doesn’t always work (maybe 25% of the time), and I can’t for the life of me figure out why, but at least there’s a checkpoint nearby if that happens.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mike said:

An auto-Mario level very loosely based on one I made in the first Mario Maker. Annoyingly, the final section of the game doesn’t always work (maybe 25% of the time), and I can’t for the life of me figure out why, but at least there’s a checkpoint nearby if that happens.

Just checked it out, the section with Dry Bones is very clever. I think it might be slight variations in the timing of his invincibility that’s causing the issues. Don’t see what else it could be really. :blank:

Anyway, good work. I always admire the amount of planning that goes into these automated levels. :cool: 

I have a new level uploaded (forgot to do a tweet, will do that in a sec) it’s a coin collection speed-run that’s very much on the easy side. In fact, other than a handful of Goombrats and a completely optional Bowser fight, I think it’s actually pretty tricky to die on! :heh: 

Watch the clear rate still be terrible... :grin:  

*EDIT*

ID:

Edited by RedShell
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RedShell said:

Watch the clear rate still be terrible... :grin:  

*EDIT*

ID:

0.00% is pretty terrible.. :heh:

I'll check it out later and hopefully manage to finish my second creation!

• Haha 1

I've spent so long on it that I'm sick of the sight of it and hope that it isn't as bad as I currently feel about it all 😆

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, nekunando said:

I've spent so long on it that I'm sick of the sight of it and hope that it isn't as bad as I currently feel about it all 😆

Really cool level can definitely see the effort that has gone in. Very clever design. Didn't find all the red coins though 😄

• Like 1

Thanks, @ViPeR and @RedShell :hehe:

To be honest, the shortcomings of the level really frustrate me but after so much effort going between each area and having to tweak everything constantly, I just had to get it uploaded and out of my hair :red:

There's too much crammed into the time limit (unless you head straight for the goal) but I didn't want to start ripping it all apart.

I really appreciate you taking the time to hunt everything down, @RedShell :smile: Well done!

• Like 1

On 18/07/2019 at 11:01 PM, nekunando said:

Thanks, @ViPeR and @RedShell :hehe:

To be honest, the shortcomings of the level really frustrate me but after so much effort going between each area and having to tweak everything constantly, I just had to get it uploaded and out of my hair :red:

There's too much crammed into the time limit (unless you head straight for the goal) but I didn't want to start ripping it all apart.

I really appreciate you taking the time to hunt everything down, @RedShell :smile: Well done!

I was just being lazy nothing wrong with the level design 😄

My first attempt at an autoscroller, maybe ever actually, as I don’t think I even made one in the original SMM!:

Spent way too much time on pointless stuff again, like getting the scrolling speed to match the intensity of the music. :heh: 

Anyway, hopefully people dig it.

• Thanks 1
  • Weird 1

Quite a long level, this one - I even had to delete / condense some parts so that I could beat it within the time limit! Pleased with how it turned out anyway, even if the difficulty is a little  on the hard side.

• Thanks 1

NEW LEVEL!!!

Originally was meant to be a homage to NSMB2, it ended up morphing into a speedrun level of sorts after feedback & testing.  I think it's fun, @Glen-i and testers say it's fun.  Will you?

On 7/20/2019 at 6:59 PM, RedShell said:

My first attempt at an autoscroller, maybe ever actually, as I don’t think I even made one in the original SMM!:

Spent way too much time on pointless stuff again, like getting the scrolling speed to match the intensity of the music. :heh: 

Anyway, hopefully people dig it.

We dug it :D 

Just about to play a bunch of N-E levels with @Glen-i; wish us luck! (and expect feedback soon!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RedShell said:

:laughing: Superb. :bowdown: Thanks for sharing. :)

We've got a LOT more where that came from... (I was Mario, Glen-i was Luigi)

Mario Maker single-screen co-op was a mistake...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weird 1

@Glen-i

That was both hilarious and informative (scroll deaths and boo behaviour, I haven't been able to test the latter like I wanted to).

Oh I didn't advertise it yet, as I don't have a preview video yet, but you and @Dcubed may like my last level. It was a quick one. Made for versus, but I did test that one in co-op. Should be familiar!

I've played more levels, and have some feedback, but don't have videos.. I think I'll come back once I do.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

On 23/07/2019 at 9:27 PM, Mike said:

Quite a long level, this one - I even had to delete / condense some parts so that I could beat it within the time limit! Pleased with how it turned out anyway, even if the difficulty is a little  on the hard side.

Played this one earlier, really good stuff! :bowdown:

I think the difficulty is pretty much spot-on actually. You always do a great job with checkpoint and power-up placement. :cool:

• Thanks 1

And here's another! Just in time to get you out of this awful heat!

My first multiplayer focused level; inspired by mine and Glen-i's earlier shenanigans :D (Oh the shame! The SHAME of getting scroll killed by your "friend" :laughing: )

Oh, and yes! We LOVED your Mario Bros VS level @Sméagol! It was a riot! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And here's another! (I'M ON FIRE!! :D )

I couldn't help myself... it's a puzzle level!! My first puzzle level of SMM2! :D 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dcubed said:

And here's another! (I'M ON FIRE!! :D )

I couldn't help myself... it's a puzzle level!! My first puzzle level of SMM2! :D 

Playing it right now and am pretty amazed by what’s going on. This is like SMM witchcraft! :hehe: Seriously, how the hell do you come up with this stuff? It’s genius! :bowdown:

Currently at the second P Switch puzzle, after the Bob-omb.

*EDIT*

:laughing::laughing::laughing: 

I think I need some sleep. :heh: 

I’ll be back...

Edited by RedShell
  • Haha 2
  • Weird 1

@Dcubed has a real talent for making the most ridiculous puzzles with Mario Maker.

They can literally change how you view Mario Maker mechanics.

Unfortunately, I have to test them, and they infuriate me to no end, because he sits there, laughing at me, claiming "It's simple! How are you not getting it!?

It's not simple! Your level is nuts!

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

I finally cleared it! :bouncy:

Great stuff @Dcubed, really interesting mechanics. Keep ‘em coming! And @Glen-i, keep up the good work with playtesting! :heh: 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I finally cleared it! :bouncy:

Great stuff @Dcubed, really interesting mechanics. Keep ‘em coming! And @Glen-i, keep up the good work with playtesting! :heh: 

Glad you liked it! I do like making puzzle levels, but I think I wanna do something a bit more traditional and action focused for my next one... (I’ve yet to make a SM3DW course after all!).  I’ve been busy making gimmick levels for a while now, and I kinda miss making traditional styled levels...

Mind you though, I’m wondering if it might be worth remaking a couple of the puzzle courses I made in SMM1? (Sadly, the Evil Checkpoint course and the Mandatory Death course will be impossible to remake in SMM2, due to the changes they made to how checkpoints work in SMM2 :( ).  I can remake my other ones though! What do you reckon? Worth doing?

Did you try out my two other new courses @RedShell? (Get Rich Quick and Ice Climbers) What do you think of them? :) 

Edited by Dcubed

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

I can remake my other ones though! What do you reckon? Worth doing?

I’ve not remade any of my SMM levels in this and would definitely rather make (and play) new levels really. But having said that, I suppose it’s cool to bring some stuff over, for those that didn’t own a Wii U. 

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Did you try out my two other new courses @RedShell? (Get Rich Quick and Ice Climbers) What do you think of them? :) 

I did. :) 

Get Rich Quick was fun, I like how you managed to balance the coin collecting and time limit. You get the impression that it’s going to be pretty easy as there are soooo many coins around, but it’s actually quite tricky to hit 999 in time.

As for Ice Climbers, I’ve not been able to clear that one yet. :blush: I was never good at the NES game though, so it’s no surprise that I suck at this too. :hehe: The way the Super Mushrooms end up falling to the bottom of the level makes it much harder as well. I probably would’ve used semisolid platforms to keep the mushrooms on each section and offer a form of “checkpoint”, but then that might have made it too easy. ::shrug: I’ll definitely try to check it out again when I get the chance to do a multiplayer session.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

I’ve not remade any of my SMM levels in this and would definitely rather make (and play) new levels really. But having said that, I suppose it’s cool to bring some stuff over, for those that didn’t own a Wii U. 

I did. :) 

Get Rich Quick was fun, I like how you managed to balance the coin collecting and time limit. You get the impression that it’s going to be pretty easy as there are soooo many coins around, but it’s actually quite tricky to hit 999 in time.

As for Ice Climbers, I’ve not been able to clear that one yet. :blush: I was never good at the NES game though, so it’s no surprise that I suck at this too. :hehe: The way the Super Mushrooms end up falling to the bottom of the level makes it much harder as well. I probably would’ve used semisolid platforms to keep the mushrooms on each section and offer a form of “checkpoint”, but then that might have made it too easy. ::shrug: I’ll definitely try to check it out again when I get the chance to do a multiplayer session.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I did consider having semi-solids; but it ended up trivialising the level really.  Figured that it just wouldn’t be Ice Climbers without wonky physics and a healthy bit of frustration to make it fun! (Especially in multiplayer! It’s beautiful chaos! :D )

Hardest part was trying to avoid soft-locks.  Problem with having a level that relies on breakable bricks is... well... being able to break them all! Or not at all!  That’s why I added the hidden vines; they’re all placed in such a way as to always allow at least one path up (try using them if you find it too hard normally ;) )

• Like 1