NEurope
Ronnie

Super Mario Maker 2 - Level Share/Feedback thread

On 06/07/2019 at 9:27 PM, Glen-i said:

It definitely could have been explained better. Even when you unlock it, the game tells you next to nothing about how it works. Which I think was a mistake. It's why I tried to make a sort of introductory level for it. Someone has to.

Well actually, I unlocked all the stuff yesterday. And that job Peach gives you actually does a pretty good job at introducing the hammer. I think. I already had the knowledge from doing your level of course. Anyway, I still intend to do my own "introduction" level. I already have some ideas.

On 07/07/2019 at 1:20 PM, Mike said:

@Sméagol

Ahh - I didn’t even think people  would think to check in there! Maybe I should have made it more obvious you need to keep on going further down the wall..

I kept trying up there after the first time. One time I fell down, accidentally landing on the lower area (usually I just fell down the pit). I was like "No, I'm fucking getting up there", and jumped into the pit.

Minor suggestions: an arrow on the wall. Maybe edit it somehow to make it less inviting. But they're the first thing someone sees, so it's natural to go investigate that. A pure horizontal shaft may do the trick, as I don't think you can kill the piranha plant that way. Unless you have the cat suit? I forgot, you didn't have one right? My preferred solution would be to just add an actual secret there, make the pipe go somewhere! haha. But all in all a minor issue, I wouldn't bother editing your level for it.

More levels:

@GenericAperson

The bad news:

Snow Go
I really don't like it. I think it's a mess. Not sure what your vision was.. There's stuff all over the place. A secret hallway that seems pointless, and is a bit confusing as it leads in to a hallway you enter on the normal path, but you don't know if you should go left or right. There's an on/off switch that doesn't seem to do anything. I went back to the start of the area, but all I saw were lone red blocks that didn't seem to have a particular function. There were red coins that for a fact did absolutely nothing. You hid the top of the flagpole. If I'm missing secrets I'd like to know. Unless you're going to tell me it's an accurate rendition of a Crash Bandicoot level.. I wouldn't know, but that would reinforce the idea that I should never ever touch a Crash game.

The good news:

Beetle Drop Redux and Boss Rush 2 are now tight experiences, and have no issues as far as I can see. I like 'm now.

@dazzybee

Yes I'm going to mention you here. You already know what I think, but we can settle the discussion here, and I can plug your level!

A Tale of Two Puzzles (Q7W-1QJ-WSG)
I thought it was a good level, but I also thought his description was a bit condescending, as he's underestimating how "easy" his level actually is, for the average Mario Maker player (clear rate of below 10% currently). Anyway I actually do like his level, give it a go, and let us know what you think haha.

@JaxonH

Super Mario: Zero Mission
Cool level, I didn't see half of it. What do you think of my time?

Seriously though, excellent stuff. But with this as your latest creation, do you still want comments on your older stuff? I still haven't played all of them, but I have played a few now, and I like some, and don't like some others. Was going to post more, but looking back, not sure if you're going to react to that. wsell ok, here's one video:

@Vileplume2000

Mario at the Winter Olympics
You also already know what I think, but to reiterate: I like the theme and effort put in, though I'd prefer some more challenge.

@Mike

Monty's Madcap Mine
I really liked it! The wrench throwing dudes are a bit annoying, with the wrenches being a bit random and all, but luckily the mine's abound with mushrooms, so it's a minor issue. Cool boss!

@Glen-i

WiiU2 Glitchy Ghost House
I like it, though I'm not a super fan of pure maze like levels. I did find all the coins again. I wasn't paying attention, but I believe there was no real reward? I forgot.

@RedShell

Take Your Pick
I'm going to judge this level solely based on the red route. And the red route is bullshit. Seriously, what were you thinking? 
:laughing: I tried the yellow route only twice.. There is a massive gap in difficulty. It's insane. I was still thinking it would be a hard but fair challenge, but no, you thow stuff at me from every direction. It's just not fun. Things are litterally coming from left, right, above and below. The bobbing of the ship hides the pits. You can't stand still, if you move you have at least 5 things to avoid at any given time. And the helpful item you can use here is hidden. Even with it it's still insane. So yeah, post a video of how you beat this please.

@nekunando

The Floor is Lava
You also already heard my comments. I like it, but I'd prefer more breathing room, and better placed checkpoints. I'd like a better pacing to put it in one sentence.

@markderoos

Riskin' Reward
And your the last person who's already heard my comments. But like I said, the level is a bit pointless without Hi-score leaderboards.. Speedrun world record is 2 seconds, that should say enough. To elaborate a little bit more.. There's no point in going the lower routes. Those meager few coins.. Not worth the hassle. The top route, I feel it's a bit down to luck in how the Bowsers shoot at you. Even if there's a Hi-score leaderboard, I don't think I'd bother. Top route is the only one of interest, if you really want the top score, you have to go back down and swim for those extra coins. Not my cup of tea, swimming for coins in a minimaze.

@Aneres11

Spikey Snow Strife
Good first level! No fancy stuff, but enough challenge to make it not too easy, and still a few bonus challenges to be found. And I had fun trying to speedrun it.

@ViPeR

World 9-8 (SMB 3)
Again great stuff. If I have any "criticism" it's that the theme of your "world" is all over the place! Deserts, Water levels, Pipes! All in one world! :laughing: I loved your little hommage again, it would have been a great fit in world 7. Personally, I would have like to see a vertical level, to me that's the most iconic from World 7, but there are still some vertical bits in there. Maybe I'll make one myself. too bad there's no horizontal screenwrap. If I had to make a few suggestions: give a little hint as to where exit is. Though I'm not sure about that one.. At this point in SMB3 (and especially World 7) I believe they had no qualms of throwing this kind of thing at you themselves. But what I would like are some hidden blocks next to the pipes in the water, so if you fall down there, you can get back up. Now you fall into the water, and that's basically death, but you don't die. But it's a minor thing, so I wouldn't bother with it.

Edit: But if we're getting nitpicky.. I'd have bordered off that little secret area above the level (above the green pipes) with all the coins, so that I wouldn't run off to the left like an idiot just to see if anything else is there. Also, I'd have centered the shaft from the video below. I just noticed this.

@flameboy

"Spiky Mcspikeface"
I am not fond of the aesthetics (large conglomerations of spike traps). That said.. I really liked figuring out the puzzle. It's indeed easy when you know what to do. Though I died a bunch of times setting that record. I have videos, but I don't want to spoil your puzzle.

So that's me done playing levels for a while. I've done a fair bit of Story mode yesterday, most of your levels, and a fair bit of levels from the new courses section (I do that out of charity and for easy first clears and world records). I'm going to focus on my own levels again next few days.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Weird 1

@SméagolHey thanks for the feedback....Absolutely agreed if I can figure out a way to work and expand upon the idea with less spike into a an actual level that would be in a mario game then I might be on to something....You said you had footage? I love to watch if I made a shared folder on google drive or something would you upload it to there?

5 minutes ago, flameboy said:

@SméagolHey thanks for the feedback....Absolutely agreed if I can figure out a way to work and expand upon the idea with less spike into a an actual level that would be in a mario game then I might be on to something....You said you had footage? I love to watch if I made a shared folder on google drive or something would you upload it to there?

Just some stuff using the Switch video capture. Of me speedrunning your level. If you don't mind me posting spoilers I can just upload them to Twitter like I usually do (and post 'm here), if you want to watch them privately I'll need to get 'm off the card. Let me know what you prefer, and I'll get on it tomorrow.

Also, it works pretty well as a standalone puzzle level. Just personally I'd have put more effort into the visual design of it all. That said, the spike traps do look menacing and uninviting, so maybe they actually help in giving people the wrong idea, I dunno. I wouldn't worry about it,

14 minutes ago, Sméagol said:
Just some stuff using the Switch video capture. Of me speedrunning your level. If you don't mind me posting spoilers I can just upload them to Twitter like I usually do (and post 'm here), if you want to watch them privately I'll need to get 'm off the card. Let me know what you prefer, and I'll get on it tomorrow.
Also, it works pretty well as a standalone puzzle level. Just personally I'd have put more effort into the visual design of it all. That said, the spike traps do look menacing and uninviting, so maybe they actually help in giving people the wrong idea, I dunno. I wouldn't worry about it,

Sure post them to twitter I'll capture them and then tell you when I have and then you can delete the tweet I guess?

EDIT:

Archive going up of levels I streamed some one screen puzzle levels I definitely recommend would love to be able make some like that of my own;

Edited by flameboy

6 hours ago, flameboy said:

Sure post them to twitter I'll capture them and then tell you when I have and then you can delete the tweet I guess?

EDIT:

Archive going up of levels I streamed some one screen puzzle levels I definitely recommend would love to be able make some like that of my own;

<broken video>

I'm asking for your preference here.. If I'm putting them on Twitter, they stay there. If you want them for your own, I'll give you the original videos, but you'll have to give me a way to send 'm to you.

The video isn't working by the way.

Edited by Sméagol

@Sméagol The reward was the friends you made along the way.

Spoiler

Actually, it was another key. A useless key that immediately catapults off of the screen because there isn't a door for it.

I thought it was kinda funny.

I'm not too keen on maze levels too, but with me making 32 levels in the original game, I had to do some kind of Ghost House Maze level. Just felt needed.

Edited by Glen-i

@Sméagol

Thanks again for testing my level. It's funny a lot of what you mention is exactly my thoughts during the creation phase. Verticality was one of my first thoughts about replicating World 7 which is why I tried to recreate it in the sub world. For me I remember Pipe world for its puzzles. Some of what you said made me chuckle. The top run with the coins, I flirted with the idea of cutting it off after the coins but chose not to. Maybe that was the asshole in me haha. There are hidden blocks against the left pipes in the water so you should always be able to get out but if I've missed some let me know which section so I can amend. Lastly the hint about the exit pipe....you hit the nail on the head, the original designers by that point were hardcore so I took a conscious decision to leave as is. My hope is when people see my levels they'll start at the first one and then see the increase in difficulty though I appreciate when it is in versus and coop they wont have that option. That bit I dont have any regrets I'd love to see the mad scramble in vs trying to find it!

Lastly about aesthetics, again we're like minded. I dont like that some of the sub world looks out of centre but I wanted so many different sub world sections I had to divide the screen up resulting in issues like that. I'm a perfectionist and I didn't like it either haha. Last on my list is a homage to Dark World!

Also appreciate you playing the level and the feedback @Sméagol !

I saw your speed run time actually. :p

I'm going to work on another level today. I think I'll keep the simple nature like my first attempt. I've played a few random courses in the 'popular' tab in the game, and it strikes me that the majority of them are all bonkers. 

I'm not sure if that's the draw of this game for most people, but I find most of the levels I've played are a bit too much. 

Will play some of the levels from you lot here next too. 

11 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I'm going to judge this level solely based on the red route. ... I tried the yellow route only twice..

Why didn't you try the green route? :heh:

New stage:

Some of you may remember I did those type of stages in the first SMM too. They were more entertaining on that game due to the amiibo feature, but I figured I'd have a go at making some in SMM2 anyway.

"Enjoy!" :laughing:

Okay, I was losing track a bit of all the levels posted (which is a good thing as that means there is plenty of reviewing and discussion going on in this thread!). But for convenience I made a Google doc with all posted levels here in a list. Be free to add to this, and fill in your maker ID in the second tab! I will try to keep it updated but feel free to add your levels yourself.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aSHgT7Zt5npKsmLTe0oJ0V0WPLup0ZCTtOfB1kp3hio/edit?usp=sharing

@Ronnie: Maybe you can add this link to the opening post?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RedShell said:

New stage:

Some of you may remember I did those type of stages in the first SMM too. They were more entertaining on that game due to the amiibo feature, but I figured I'd have a go at making some in SMM2 anyway.

I do remember :grin:

I remember how devilishly tight they were in terms of time.. and I can't wait to try this one :hehe:

• Haha 1

I'm asking for your preference here.. If I'm putting them on Twitter, they stay there. If you want them for your own, I'll give you the original videos, but you'll have to give me a way to send 'm to you.
The video isn't working by the way.
Hey ok sorry. I'll PM you my email address....

Also yes I had to take down video I uploaded unedited version in error.

Hi all, good to see you all playing this game. Between this and Dreams on the PS4, I’m in creator heaven!

I've made tons of stages and really enjoyed many of your levels on WiiU. Hopefully Nintendo release a friend patch soon so I can play more. I’ll check out some of these and post some of my level codes soon!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK, I think some things about the Snow Go level need to be explained.

As stated, it's meant to be a recreation of the same level from Crash Bandicoot 2 and as such there are a few level objects that seem a bit odd. What I did was recreate the terrain (for the most part, the death route had to be shortened due to lack of room in the sub-area) and replace Penta Penguins with Paloombas, seels with Koopa Troopas, the context squashers with Thowmp, the pistons with scewers and the hedgehogs with spinies. As to why there is a random ON/OFF switch in the level at the second checkpoint, that is the location of the Nitro Switch Box in Crash 2 which detonates all the Nitro Boxes. The Nitro Boxes in this instance however were non explosive due to the level being recreated in a different platformer and denoted by the red blocks which change to blue when you hit the ON/OFF switch.

The 10 coins were meant to be the Crystal that you pick up in the level and the Clear Gem that you can get for breaking all the boxes except in this case there is no way to keep track of that so I ended up just putting the coin there. The two red coins are meant to represent the Red Gem that you are supposed to get by completing the secret area. Note "supposed" to. However...

Yeah, you can get it early.

Applying New Super Mario Bros. physics to this does change how the level works so I can understand if people might not like the level but I wanted to be an exact recreation of it's original source right down to using close replacements for the tiny details even if they have no relevance on Mario gameplay. This is what autism can drive you to do...

Anyway, I did recently make another recreation level but this time based on an actual Mario game, which hopefully means it fares better. It's another Super Mario 64 recreation and it's the final main level from that game, Rainbow Ride.

On 10/07/2019 at 8:29 AM, ViPeR said:

The top run with the coins, I flirted with the idea of cutting it off after the coins but chose not to. Maybe that was the asshole in me haha.

In that case never mind. Mission accomplished! Haha.

There are hidden blocks against the left pipes in the water so you should always be able to get out but if I've missed some let me know which section so I can amend.

I checked, and I see them now. I didn't jump high enough. I'd place just one block but much lower, so it's easier to discover. But again, it's a nitpick.

Lastly the hint about the exit pipe....you hit the nail on the head, the original designers by that point were hardcore so I took a conscious decision to leave as is. My hope is when people see my levels they'll start at the first one and then see the increase in difficulty though I appreciate when it is in versus and coop they wont have that option. That bit I dont have any regrets I'd love to see the mad scramble in vs trying to find it!

Again, I wouldn't worry about it, but just be conscious about it. Don't count on people going through your levels in order. We will, but people randomly encountering this level on Endless won't. And some (I suspect a lot) won't be familiar with Super Mario Bros 3.

Edit:

Lastly about aesthetics, again we're like minded. I dont like that some of the sub world looks out of centre but I wanted so many different sub world sections I had to divide the screen up resulting in issues like that. I'm a perfectionist and I didn't like it either haha. Last on my list is a homage to Dark World!

Let me see your (zoomed out) layout in the editing screen. Because I see no reason why you can't have it centered.. I had to get used to the screen scroll stopping feature myself.

On 10/07/2019 at 11:31 AM, RedShell said:

I wanted a bit of challenge. I only tried the yellow route to compare it to the red one. I'm going to assume here the green one is easier than the yellow one. On a scale from 1 to 10, the difficulty of the yellow route is 1, the green route I assume to be 0.5, and the red route is 15. I would have been fine with anything between 1 and 10.

On 10/07/2019 at 11:31 AM, RedShell said:

New stage:

[..]

:shakehead

On 10/07/2019 at 11:33 AM, Vileplume2000 said:

Okay, I was losing track a bit of all the levels posted (which is a good thing as that means there is plenty of reviewing and discussion going on in this thread!). But for convenience I made a Google doc with all posted levels here in a list. Be free to add to this, and fill in your maker ID in the second tab! I will try to keep it updated but feel free to add your levels yourself.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aSHgT7Zt5npKsmLTe0oJ0V0WPLup0ZCTtOfB1kp3hio/edit?usp=sharing

@Ronnie: Maybe you can add this link to the opening post?

This is exactly why I asked Ronnie in my first post to keep the OP updated.

On 10/07/2019 at 3:17 PM, flameboy said:

Hey ok sorry. I'll PM you my email address....

Also yes I had to take down video I uploaded unedited version in error.

Sorry I'm lazy. I'll grab the videos from the card and transfer 'm to my computer later.

4 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

As stated, it's meant to be a recreation of the same level from Crash Bandicoot 2 and as such there are a few level objects that seem a bit odd.

[...]

New Super Mario Bros. physics to this does change how the level works so I can understand if people might not like the level but I wanted to be an exact recreation of it's original source right down to using close replacements for the tiny details even if they have no relevance on Mario gameplay. This is what autism can drive you to do...

All right, must be the lazy kind of autism then.

You can't just recreate a level pure visually, adding elements because they happen to have the same colour, then call it a day.. If you really tried to get the details right, you would have tried to emulate the gameplay elements. I didn't put a key on top of the tower in my SMB2 recreation, because keys work differently, so I replaced it with a P-switch which was a much closer analogy. I don't know what the red gem does, but I assume it doesn't open a door. So just add a nother big coin or something.

Here:

"working" switch to blow up stuff. But it only works on one screen. I don't know what those nitro boxes are supposed to do, but I assume they do something, and I suspect you could get the same kind of functionality working in Mario Maker somehow. You are still Making a Mario Maker level, so it still must work like one. Experiment more.

You're Mario level is much better. I still think you can make a more tighter experience, by focussing on just one star perhaps.. You give several options, which on the hand is nice, but on the other hand it loses a bit focus. Also little details like this:

Personally I'd have made the semisolid platforms less wide so they don't protrude from the floor tiles. I gave it a like, but there were other little details that I'd have done differently.

Edit: Also, try adding music directly to Mario in the editor.

It did invoke the nostalgia though, so you did that right.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Haha 1

I have the exact same capture for @RedShell's level. Haven't finished it yet, I honestly don't know how I can shave the needed 0,0001 second off to finish it haha. Frustrating!

• Haha 2

Hey guys, sorry I've been so quiet... I haven't had a lot of time to play, but I've been quietly bashing my head against a hard block wall over the past week to come up with this ridiculous course... (or should I say, courseS!)

Presenting: Mario Cross Generations!

The main gimmick behind this course? One course layout used across four different Mario Game Styles! 

I set myself a design challenge where I had to come up with a course that took advantage of the inherent differences between each of the original 4 game styles to provide a compelling, individual and unique gameplay experience; the catch? I wasn't allowed to make ANY changes in the course layout itself in any of the four versions! I had to be able to upload each version purely by switching the game style and pressing Save As.  I wanted to make an action focused level (with some very light puzzle solving) where the course design is shared across all four game styles, but where each version feel distinct and interesting to play.  So I focused on all of the different mechanics, quirks and limitations inherent to each different game style to make each version its own distinct beast!  I wanted each version to feel individually balanced and challenging, but not too challenging, where they feel genuinely different to play.

This nutty idea did my absolute nut in to make work! It was insanely hard to design and easily the biggest design challenge I've ever faced in MM! The amount of testing, redesigns and rethinking I've had to do is off the scale! Took me almost a whole week on and off! (Preventing soft-locking here, while simultaneously trying to make each version interesting and fun to play was just an absolute nightmare!)

I'm keen to hear what you guys make of it, but I'm just really glad it's finally done! I hate myself for coming up with this ridiculous idea; and I'm looking forward to finally being able to try out everyone else's courses now! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

I'm keen to hear what you guys make of it, but I'm just really glad it's finally done! I hate myself for coming up with this ridiculous idea; and I'm looking forward to finally being able to try out everyone else's courses now! :D 

Really cool idea, Dcubed! :cool: I played all 4, but have only managed to clear the SMB3 style so far. I still can’t actually figure out how to even pass the bit with Bowser on the SMB style... :blush:

Anyway, good stuff. Now you need to make it again in the SM3DW style! :heh: 

*EDIT*

Oh yeah, I uploaded a new one earlier today:

It’s a bit experimental. :D Hope people enjoy though.

:peace:

Edited by RedShell
  • Haha 1

Glad you enjoyed it (and at least finished one of them!).  I've started playing your courses and, in typical RedShell fashion, they're all fantastic so far!

Looking forward to getting to the Wario Ware level! Loved them in the first SMM! :D 

• Thanks 1

@Dcubed, just seen your comment on my Coursebot level, Brilliant! :laughing: :bowdown:

Glad someone is looking for / finding Baby Face. :) 

• Weird 1

5 minutes ago, RedShell said:

@Dcubed, just seen your comment on my Coursebot level, Brilliant! :laughing: :bowdown:

Glad someone is looking for / finding Baby Face. :) 

I found it in a few of your levels, including your ghost house.

Spoiler

Have you tried putting Baby Face on mario? Someone else did, and it was doing my head in. they seemed random and all over the place!

Unlike your previous 2 levels that one was great again! Nice theme, nice "jump scares". I have a video, I'll upload it later. One nitpick is I'd would have liked one more iteration that would introduce the Thwomps. The house right after the checkpoint suggests to tread carefully at first with dry bones in your way, but you get immediately punished with a Thwomp that (also) comes out of nowhere. Maybe some indicators for both the dry bones and Thwomps would be nice. But that's minor.

@Dcubed sounds very interesting! Not in the mood to play 4 levels right now, @Nintendo Fan kept me occupied. :p

I'll try 'm later.

• Thanks 1

Played through all of your courses now @RedShell; all brilliant! I especially loved the ending to 8-bit House of Horror and the Easy boss in your Take Your Pick level.  Howled like a hyena when I saw both of them :laughing:

You'll be glad to know that I found all of the Baby Faces as well!

Great stuff! Here's a couple of videos to return the favour...

Was pretty chuffed when I eventually got the WR on your Wario Ware course :D 

Looking forward to making some (much simpler than my last one!) courses of my own next.  I've already got a few ideas brewing...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Have you tried putting Baby Face on mario? Someone else did, and it was doing my head in. they seemed random and all over the place!

I did in the original SMM, but it’s not something I’ve done since, because I only want 1 appearance of Baby Face in each of my levels  now, as a hidden “collectable”, it’s become my SMM tradition. :heh: 

20 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Played through all of your courses now @RedShell; all brilliant! I especially loved the ending to 8-bit House of Horror and the Easy boss in your Take Your Pick level.  Howled like a hyena when I saw both of them :laughing:

You'll be glad to know that I found all of the Baby Faces as well!

I am indeed glad to know this, good stuff. :)

You’ll be glad to know that I managed to beat all 4 of your Mario Cross-Generations levels. :hehe: I was so relieved to finally figure out the SMB style! :grin: 

While I was still being dumb and stubbornly trying to get Mario...

Spoiler

...to go inside that pipe with the ON/OFF blocks in front of it, I actually managed to get one of the fireballs trapped inside a block briefly! :laughing: 

Anyway, looking forward to your next creation. 

21 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Was pretty chuffed when I eventually got the WR on your Wario Ware course :D 

Yeah, was pretty surprised by that time! :o I’m going to have to try and make the next Microcour$e more difficult! :hehe: 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, was pretty surprised by that time! :o I’m going to have to try and make the next Microcour$e more difficult! :hehe: 

:shakehead

You're going to love this.

It's only when I managed to grab the coin and was on my way back I realized I could just walk under that roof.

Finally finished my 3rd level:

It's meant to be a versus level, eventhough you can't actually test for versus. So I don't even know if it works as intended in versus. But you're unlikely to ever play it in versus.. Luckily it works just fine in single player (but don't play co-op with it). It's a speedrunny obstacle course. Probably hilarious in versus if you see your opponent dying, but whatever. In singleplayer, use the on/off switch for an autostart. In actual 4 player versus mode, each player goes through their designated door, and hit the block above their starting positions for a manual start (indicating when they're ready, it's meant to be a race after all). It took me a lot of time figuring that out, or rather the best way to do it, but it's still probably going to be pointless (as it probably won't be used, probably not even in versus if it ever gets played in that mode).

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1