NEurope
Ronnie

Super Mario Maker 2 - Level Share/Feedback thread

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
  Hide contents

I got one of the more hidden ones, underneath enemies. Couldn't for the life of me find the fourth

Yep, thought it would be that one you're missing. It's cool though, it's just an extra optional challenge.

• Like 1

@Sméagolglad you enjoyed them. I felt like my creativity was lacking a little for the Ice world level. Going to enjoy creating the homage to Dark World, undecided whether I do a homage to Pipe world but I suppose I should to complete the set 😄

Edited by ViPeR

13 minutes ago, ViPeR said:

@Sméagolglad you enjoyed them. I felt like my creativity was lacking a little for the Ice world level. Going to enjoy creating the homage to Dark World, undecided whether I do a homage to Pipe world but I suppose I should to complete the set 😄

I mean, this game introduced multiple choices of coloured pipe. You'd be mad not to!

OK, all courses are back online after some tweaks or major redesigns.

Beetle Drop is now Beetle Drop Redux. It's new ID is in the picture below

D-0gu3aUcAABP35.jpg

Boss Rush 2 has also been reuploaded with some tweaks to fix the unintended softlock, easy Bowser kill and a more involved Thwomp Boss Fight. Again, new ID in the picture below.

D-0xvZwUcAAuart.jpg

Right, I think that's enough tweaks for trying to be a perfectionist and pulling levels down because there was something people didn't like about them or if there were any genuine level breaking bugs. I think it's time to start thinking about a brand new level from scratch.

1 hour ago, GenericAperson said:

Beetle Drop is now Beetle Drop Redux. It's new ID is in the picture below

D-0gu3aUcAABP35.jpg

I enjoyed it a lot more now. Despite me being incredibly stupid.

I'm disappointed in myself as well.

• Haha 3
  • Weird 1

10 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I mean, this game introduced multiple choices of coloured pipe. You'd be mad not to!

I know I started the level today and thought of all the possibilities of having enemies coming out at different speeds and the chaos it would cause hahah.

@Sméagol

Ahh - I didn’t even think people  would think to check in there! Maybe I should have made it more obvious you need to keep on going further down the wall..

One more!  SBV-XSC-SYG

(How do I embed a tweet on here like you guys have been doing, by the way?)

Edited by Mike

1 hour ago, Mike said:

One more!  SBV-XSC-SYG

There should be a share button underneath your tweet. Copying the URL and pasting it in your post should do it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

That's what you get for completely missing the forum transition. This is old stuff for us haha. Just post the link, then in the editor click on the pop up, "paste as plain link instead".

• Thanks 1

Before I get on with catching up with the few levels posted above. I've finished my 2nd remastered WiiU level. It was my 11th upload back then, effectively level 3-3.

D-7ary-UwAAMW6U?format=jpg&name=large

Unlike my first one, the layout of the rooms are quite a bit different compared to the Mario Maker 1 version, you wouldn't be able to tell just from playing it though. Stuff had to be moved around to make use of the scroll lock feature, which is amazing for Ghost Houses.

Like all my WiiU levels I'll post, there's an optional locked door for those of you who like to explore every nook and cranny to find red coins.

EDIT: Caught up on everyone's levels now. I left a comment in-game, but I just want to say that @Mike's latest level was really great. A clear theme, nice difficulty curve and a finale that put a big massive smile on my face. Kudos!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Made a new level recently, it's a recreation of the level Snow Go from Crash Bandicoot 2.

I am aware that there is a way to cheat out the red coin positioning but in the original game a similar exploit allowed you to get the Red Gem early so I think I will leave that in as a reference.

I won't post the level code here simply because this may also be a level I pull to make some changes but since it's meant to be a recreation of another level from a different platformer significant layout changes are out of the question.

I have a quick question for anyone kind enough to help: 

I'm making my first level ever (it's a lot of fun!) But I want a section in my level where there's a warp pipe that takes you to a different "room" with a warp pipe that takes you then back out. 

I've added the room and completed its layout, but the creator is asking me for a second pipe which, again, I've added to take me out of it but it then needs a fourth pipe to come out from. 

So what I want to know is, can I have one pipe on my main level to go into the second room with, (which needs a second pipe in the room for Mario to come out of) and then a third pipe to exit from which brings you back out of the original pipe you entered from. So three in total?

I've fiddled with options but the creator let's Mario go back out the way he came in, which I don't want really. I want the user to have to get out of the room by going up the course to a different pipe. 

Hope I make sense... Can't wait to share it once it's done!

10 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I have a quick question for anyone kind enough to help: 

I'm making my first level ever (it's a lot of fun!) But I want a section in my level where there's a warp pipe that takes you to a different "room" with a warp pipe that takes you then back out. 

I've added the room and completed its layout, but the creator is asking me for a second pipe which, again, I've added to take me out of it but it then needs a fourth pipe to come out from. 

So what I want to know is, can I have one pipe on my main level to go into the second room with, (which needs a second pipe in the room for Mario to come out of) and then a third pipe to exit from which brings you back out of the original pipe you entered from. So three in total?

I've fiddled with options but the creator let's Mario go back out the way he came in, which I don't want really. I want the user to have to get out of the room by going up the course to a different pipe. 

Hope I make sense... Can't wait to share it once it's done!

I don't think you can do that, no.  Every pipe from the main area must link to one in the sub-area, and vice versa.  If I've understood correctly you want the player to enter Pipe 1, which has you emerge from Pipe 2 in the sub-area?  You then want them to have to reach Pipe 3, and emerge from Pipe 1 again?  As I say, I don't think that's possible, but don't forget you can have pipes pointing up, down, left or right.  If you want Mario to emerge in the same place, but from a pipe he can't reach initially, the best compromise might be to have Pipe 4 directly above Pipe 1, but pointing downwards and too high to reach first of all.  It will drop Mario back where he started.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Grazza said:

I don't think you can do that, no.  Every pipe from the main area must link to one in the sub-area, and vice versa.  If I've understood correctly you want the player to enter Pipe 1, which has you emerge from Pipe 2 in the sub-area?  You then want them to have to reach Pipe 3, and emerge from Pipe 1 again?  As I say, I don't think that's possible, but don't forget you can have pipes pointing up, down, left or right.  If you want Mario to emerge in the same place, but from a pipe he can't reach initially, the best compromise might be to have Pipe 4 directly above Pipe 1, but pointing downwards and too high to reach first of all.  It will drop Mario back where he started.

Thanks Grazza. :)

I played around with it and came up with a compromise. 

It's addictive this level making malarkey. 

But frustrating too. I went in blind, having never played the previous game, so some stuff I think up ends up being rubbish. I also never had a very clear idea in my mind as to what I wanted to create, I've kind of just gone at it as I've gone along. :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

I also never had a very clear idea in my mind as to what I wanted to create, I've kind of just gone at it as I've gone along. :D

I find that basing a level on one single concept goes a long way to making a satisfying level.

Play around with some of the stuff you can put in. For example, mess around with the POW Block, combine it with other features and enemies and see what happens. Inspiration might strike and you can build off of that.

Of course, you've only just started making a level, so it's more important that you learn what stuff does in the first place. But keep that in mind for any later levels you make.

As for your pipe conundrum, have you tried using the One-way Gate? It's a very easy way to make sure Mario can't backtrack through something.

• Like 1

Finally did my homage to the Pipe world level, World 9-8 😄 GH3-XW0-3HF. Tried to make pipes the central theme, obviously!

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I find that basing a level on one single concept goes a long way to making a satisfying level.

Play around with some of the stuff you can put in. For example, mess around with the POW Block, combine it with other features and enemies and see what happens. Inspiration might strike and you can build off of that.

Of course, you've only just started making a level, so it's more important that you learn what stuff does in the first place. But keep that in mind for any later levels you make.

As for your pipe conundrum, have you tried using the One-way Gate? It's a very easy way to make sure Mario can't backtrack through something.

What is the one way gate? I'll have a look for that. 

And in the end I did focus on one specific thing. I used an ice theme and decided to go with spikes as an obstacle combined with the spikey shell enemy. 

It worked out an ok level (I think!) 

I'll screenshot it and upload in here in a sec so you can all rip it apart. :D

Here's my first level Q5V-WYP-BJG nothing special very short has a bit of conceit to it and it a thing to figure out but I think there are multiple ways to beat it as well....

Let me know what you think....I haven't played anyone's levels above but plan on doing so and I'm going to stream some as well via mixer at mixer.com/flameboy did some from twitter the other day will be uploading archive to YouTube later today.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk