NEurope
Ronnie

Super Mario Maker 2 - Level Share/Feedback thread

53 minutes ago, RedShell said:

So it seems multiplayer might not be the only area of SMM2’s online that’s having issues, apparently it’s also possible for some uploaded courses to not display to other users. I think my most recent one has fallen victim to this as it’s still on zero plays. :blank: Could someone try and access it via the ID: X63-LGD-MFG to see if it’s actually on the server and then let me know? I might have to re-upload it. :hmm:

It shows up for me (and I'll play it after this post).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

So it seems multiplayer might not be the only area of SMM2’s online that’s having issues, apparently it’s also possible for some uploaded courses to not display to other users. I think my most recent one has fallen victim to this as it’s still on zero plays. :blank: Could someone try and access it via the ID: X63-LGD-MFG to see if it’s actually on the server and then let me know? I might have to re-upload it. :hmm:

I'm not entirely sure about this, but there's been stories about how a course doesn't show up in the random selection until one person (That isn't the creator) plays it.

Which is a problem if you have no friends. Luckily, putting it on N-Europe will get me to eventually play it (During the weekend).

It's a very weird problem.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

On 03/07/2019 at 11:07 PM, RedShell said:

Anyway, this one has a nice speedrun route in it (more than one actually) I managed 00’50”833 on the clear-check. Looking forward to seeing if that gets beaten. :D 

Do you actually get a notification for that? How does it work? Does it take the total time of all runs (including from each checkpoint), or just the first?

44 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I'm not entirely sure about this, but there's been stories about how a course doesn't show up in the random selection until one person (That isn't the creator) plays it.

Which is a problem if you have no friends. Luckily, putting it on N-Europe will get me to eventually play it (During the weekend).

It's a very weird problem.

I've heard someone speculate this too. Or more specifically, the level will show up (or have a much higher chance to show up) if someone likes your level. Which is why I make a point of playing as many of your levels as I can, even though I rather spend my time in the course level maker. Haven't even finished Story Mode. I don't hand out likes out of courtesy though, I actually need to like the level (to at least some degree). Luckily this is most of your levels. Sorry @GenericAperson, I didn't like your re-upload of the Beetle level, or the Boss rush.. But I have videos and I'll explain why later. In fact, I'll try to make more videos of levels I play from you guys, and I'll upload them this evening.

Edited by Sméagol

5 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Do you actually get a notificaion for that? How does it work? Does it take the total time of all runs (including from each checkpoint), or just the first?

I believe it only gives a notification for plays, comments and likes.

Although there are notifications for when someone else claims a record on a course, I don’t think it applies to records on courses that you’ve made. 

As for how times are calculated, I imagine it just adds any gameplay from a checkpoint on to whatever you had from the start point for that particular run, rather than adding all of the retries too.

All right, all caught up on levels here.

@GenericAperson I got hopelessly stuck in your Boss Rush 2.

Other than that, I pretty much liked all of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I got hopelessly stuck in your Boss Rush 2.

Alright, I said I'd upload videos but @Glen-i beat me to it.

@GenericAperson:

This is a pretty anti-climactic final battle of a Boss Rush. Not sure if it was intended. It's a bit confusing, as I needed to figure out how to get to the goal. Maybe that's a bit trolling on your part, so maybe it was intended, I don't know. Which lead to this:

Soft locks are inexcusable.

Anyway, afterwards I figured out that you needed the clown car to get to the top. I assume this was the intended way. I got there without it, which makes the fact you can lose the clown car kess of a problem.. But it feels unintended, and it's a bit confusing and definitely anti-climactic end of the level. The Thwomp boss also felt off, it was hard to do it the intended way (I think), but it's easy to just take a hit and ride the Thwomp to the top. The idea of using the on/off switch to kill it is nice, but the execution.. It felt a bit pointless. It's not all bad, I liked the variety, and the idea behind some of them, like the Goombas.

Regarding Beetle drop (I have no video of it):

To me it felt even worse. Now I can see the layout of the area, but this doesn't seem to really help me. Where I was able to solve a puzzle through trail and error, now I fail at it again even now I know the layout and elements. The ehh 2nd puzzle after the checkpoint.. The problem is that I still can't see the action when I'm down below with the on/off switch, and I don't know what all the interactions are. Things despawn left and right, and I can't see what I need and what are red herrings (if any). So I need to figure out if I failed first, then there's nothing left for me to suicide. Figuring out if you need to suicide (if you have failed) is incredibly annoying. I failed the puzzle multiple times, in multiple ways (even after initially solving it in the first version), but none of them lead to the shell hitting the p-switch and killing me instantly. I want consistent behaviour. If you're not (or can't) give me a second chance (a reset), have the decency to instantly kill me, and not leaving me in the dark whether I failed something. After several tries, I was done with it.

I suspect, making your puzzles smaller (i.e. single screen) will solve everything. As I can see what's happening and stuff doesn't despawn. But I'm not sure as I don't know what all the interactions are.

@RedShell

Really liked the level, though I'm not sure what the point of the boss was. It was fun doing it the "intended" way, blastinmg it from above with fireballs is also very satisfying.. But you can simply swim past it? :D

Spoiler

Took me a minute to figure out. For some reason it didn't occur to me the pipe could have both functions..

@JaxonH

Spoiler

I have not seen the rest of the level.

I love the various alternative routes!

@Ronnie & @ViPeR, like I said, I should make more videos, but Lava Lair and 9-6 were yet again great levels!

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 3

Dang, thanks for that. Looks like I'm going to have to pull Boss Rush 2 and do some tweaking to the level..

Regardling the last boss battle, there was initially no spawning Super Mushroom or Fire Flower at the end of the level, it was only added in because of the fact that I was struggling to beat Bowser using Koopa Shells. As stated, I think this battle does need tweaks to make it a bit more climactic but as of right now I'm not entirely sure what they are. With the softlock issue, I have added a roof above the area just now to prevent you from getting back up. I'm also trying to think of ways to improve the Thwomp boss battle but, to my dismay, Thwomps do not operate on tracks.

As for Beetle Drop. I really want this level to work and it sounds like I need to completely redesign the level in order to get it to work. Should be doable if I use small beetles for all the puzzles and then as you said, one screen them all with Mario sticking below the entire stage. I might seek a playtest of the new versions of the levels before reupload though as it seems like I don't test these levels enough.

EDIT: Seems like to make the last Bowser battle better all I needed was to remove the ability to kill Bowser in one go. That has been done. Bowser now comes into battle without any obstructions so you can't insta kill him/

Edited by GenericAperson

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

though I'm not sure what the point of the boss was. It was fun doing it the "intended" way, blastinmg it from above with fireballs is also very satisfying.. But you can simply swim past it? :D

The point? You said it yourself, it was fun and satisfying. ;) And yeah, you can indeed just swim past and avoid the “boss” altogether if you prefer! :laughing: I like adding lots of different options to my courses/levels/stages/whatever we’re supposed to call ‘em. :heh: 

Anyway, thanks for playing it and for the feedback. :)

:peace:

• Weird 1

This is a nice video highlighting some creators to follow

Just bought this on a whim, never played Mario maker before. I'm on a plane later, am I going to have enough offline content to keep me entertained, or should I download some levels?

8 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Just bought this on a whim, never played Mario maker before. I'm on a plane later, am I going to have enough offline content to keep me entertained, or should I download some levels?

There's over 100 levels on-disc as well as making your own levels. So you should be fine.

48 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

But as long you have internet you might as well search and download a few courses from other people. Playing other people's levels is a big part of Mario Maker. While most if not all of the story mode (and example!) levels are fun, they often are specifically designed to teach you about a certain aspect, so you can use it in the course level maker. So a lot of them have a bit of a tutorial vibe going on, and will feel different from the avarage level you'll get from other people, even those that are designed to "feel like a Mario level".

Edit:

Played some more levels, including yours @Glen-i. I'll elaborate later (I have videos), but in short: I (really) like the Mario 1 level, but don't like the hammer level. The level is not intuitive for someone who doesn't know what the hammer does, which at this point is most people. The game doesn't explain it, and I haven't unlocked it. I actually timed out on that one.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Played some more levels, including yours @Glen-i. I'll elaborate later (I have videos), but in short: I (really) like the Mario 1 level, but don't like the hammer level. The level is not intuitive for someone who doesn't know what the hammer does, which at this point is most people. The game doesn't explain it, and I haven't unlocked it. I actually timed out on that one.

Fair points, I tried to explain the two different abilities at the start of the course, but I guess it could be done better, not sure how right now. There's potential in that particular power-up and I bet people can come up with some cool ideas for it.

18 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Fair points, I tried to explain the two different abilities at the start of the course, but I guess it could be done better, not sure how right now. There's potential in that particular power-up and I bet people can come up with some cool ideas for it.

Hot Fix solution would be to add a dev comment at the start. But personally I'd expand the starting area to include more hints and guidance.

• Thanks 1

@Glen-i I enjoyed Unfinished Castle a lot until it got to the snake part, I think we're just so used to getting on these platforms I tried for ages to climb up that way till I realised you had to wall jump on the side.

Also the conveyor belts later on screw you up if you throw more than 1 block, as I did.

Just small usability things but overall very enjoyable.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Thanks 1

@Glen-i Spelunking is great too, though I can't find the fourth coin... will try again now...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

While most if not all of the story mode (and example!) levels are fun, they often are specifically designed to teach you about a certain aspect, so you can use it in the course level maker. So a lot of them have a bit of a tutorial vibe going on, and will feel different from the avarage level you'll get from other people, even those that are designed to "feel like a Mario level".

Yeah, I’m about halfway through story mode at the moment, but I’m really not feeling it anymore. The rebuilding the castle thing is cute but most of the levels are just not fun for me. :blank: Some of them are straight-up bad in my opinion and even break the fundamental rules that they try and establish in the lesson section! :woops:

I just want to get through it as quickly as possible now really for whatever unlocks there are, so that I can focus on making my own stuff and playing other people’s creations.

Might start using the Luigi parts/skip thing, that’s how enjoyable I’m finding some of these... :sad: 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, I’m about halfway through story mode at the moment, but I’m really not feeling it anymore. The rebuilding the castle thing is cute but most of the levels are just not fun for me. :blank: Some of them are straight-up bad in my opinion and even break the fundamental rules that they try and establish in the lesson section! :woops:

I just want to get through it as quickly as possible now really for whatever unlocks there are, so that I can focus on making my own stuff and playing other people’s creations.

Might start using the Luigi parts/skip thing, that’s how enjoyable I’m finding some of these... :sad: 

If you only care about parts for creating levels, then you only need to...

Spoiler

Do all 3 of Purple Toad's requests and complete the castle rebuild (Get it to 100%)

If you want all the costumes however, you need to do every level. I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't allowed to use Luigi's help either.

• Thanks 1

OK, so I am trying to redevelop the Beetle Drop level from scratch to reduce the harshness in punishment. In order to do so I decided to use doors as a reset mechanic and replace the floor trap pits with giant spinies that you can't avoid if you fail. However, there is one problem with the doors mechanic, the question mark block doesn't reset if you reload the room without dying.

The entire puzzles are now just one screen puzzles which is what they should have been all along really. I would appreciate anyone's help to try and figure out how to do this.

EDIT: Never mind, it was just a question of changing the question mark block to a brick block that doesn't break when small Mario touches it.

Edited by GenericAperson
  • Like 1

Another new one from me!

6Y4-83Q-PTG

Edited by Mike
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

OK, so I am trying to redevelop the Beetle Drop level from scratch to reduce the harshness in punishment. In order to do so I decided to use doors as a reset mechanic and replace the floor trap pits with giant spinies that you can't avoid if you fail. However, there is one problem with the doors mechanic, the question mark block doesn't reset if you reload the room without dying.

The entire puzzles are now just one screen puzzles which is what they should have been all along really. I would appreciate anyone's help to try and figure out how to do this.

EDIT: Never mind, it was just a question of changing the question mark block to a brick block that doesn't break when small Mario touches it.

I'm sorry I can't play your level yet, as I don't have the online subscription.  More generally, with anything you want to respawn, can you not have it come out of a pipe instead?  I'm new to this series myself, but most of the things I want to supply the player with, I can have emerge from a pipe.  If they waste it, the pipe gives them another one.  Maybe this doesn't work with whatever you want to come out of the question mark block, but it's just a thought.

Edited by Grazza

@Glen-i This is what I mean:

In case you can't tell I'm not used to this power-up.. :laughing: Holding 'B' is also ingrained in my thumb.. So kept grabbing or destroying boxes. You also can't create boxes in mid-air, so I kept hitting the wall (falling down, or destroy more boxes).

I have been thinking about it, and I think I have some specific suggestions if you want them, that said, I may want to make an introduction level to the hammer myself when I unlock it. It's not all your fault though, this would the one occasion where I'd be glad to see Luigi. "Hey Bro, looks like you haven't used the hammer power-up yet. Want me to explain it to you?" I was also looking in the Mario moves section, but it isn't there. If it weren't for the fact that I already knew about the hammer in advance, seeing some spoilers, I would have exited the level, not knowing what you were expecting of me. For me it's the first time actually playing Mario Maker levels, so I wasn't accustomed to creators hinting at specific button presses. I assumed the arrow was for general direction, and yes it looked like an 'y'. Why? I didn't think anything of it. Never occurred to me you wanted me to actually press 'y', let alone in combination with 'up'.

@Ronnie This is not where to look for the 4th coin:

I did find them all though!

@ViPeR Classic Spiny action:

@Mike <sigh> I got there at my first attempt, but not being familiar with 3D World mechanics.. I didn't know I'd get hit from a dying Piranha plant, so I died there. Had to get used to the timing of those Piranha plant jumps as well, and I kept walljumping (to my death) at following attempts. Result:

Edited by Sméagol
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

In case you can't tell I'm not used to this power-up.. :laughing: Holding 'B' is also ingrained in my thumb.. So kept grabbing or destroying boxes. You also can't create boxes in mid-air, so I kept hitting the wall (falling down, or destroy more boxes)

Yeah, you're not the only one. I've done a few things like that when testing the level. It's just the nature of the power-up. You need to be slow and methodical with it, which is hard to unlearn with Mario. I purposely made it so that you don't need to dash to make it up those high walls.

It definitely could have been explained better. Even when you unlock it, the game tells you next to nothing about how it works. Which I think was a mistake. It's why I tried to make a sort of introductory level for it. Someone has to.

Thanks for persevering. I'll probably have to add a sort of tutorial comment to it, because I don't think I made it clear enough. Although I don't like doing that, but playability is more important.

@Ronnie I don't know if you've found the 4 red coins yet, but the last two are more deviously hidden then the first two. I think I have an idea of which one you might be missing.

Edited by Glen-i

41 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

@Ronnie I don't know if you've found the 4 red coins yet, but the last two are more deviously hidden then the first two. I think I have an idea of which one you might be missing.

Spoiler

I got one of the more hidden ones, underneath enemies. Couldn't for the life of me find the fourth