NEurope
Ronnie

Super Mario Maker 2 - Level Share/Feedback thread

It was a bit more interesting than most "first level" type of levels. Got some challenging parts to it, was more than I was expecting.

Made two levels on day one. The first is a remake of one of the levels I made in Mario Maker 1, the most popular one. Easy, right?

D-MGOx-UEAAqMHu.jpg

The second is a brand new level concept designed around one of the new mechanics in Mario Maker 2, it's called Listen Carefully! Beetle Drop. The level was originally just called Beetle Drop but I added a hint into the level after not being sure people would be able to figure out how to beat some of the levels.

D-MGOyQUIAAwbSi.jpg

I'm a bit fan of levels that do something interesting with the Mario mechanics or are themed on something else as opposed to vanilla Mario levels which I kind of find somewhat generic, so expect to see these kinds of levels coming out from me in the future.

• Thanks 1

Figured I’d start off by testing out some of the differences in SMM2’s course creator by remaking one of my old SMM1 bonus levels.

Outside of some small adjustments I had to make, I’m glad to report that I was able to recreate it almost perfectly! :D 

I don’t think I’m actually gonna do many more remakes TBH.  I think I’m gonna just focus on making new levels with fresh ideas and concepts...

... After I complete Story Mode first!

• Angry 1

That's fair enough. I think it's pretty easy to remake old courses if you have both games open at the same but it does seem a bit pointless to do so when all the new materials are available to you. Only your best levels are worth remaking in the new editor imo unless the level would benefit tremendously from the new mechanics.

Made a couple more levels today, a remake of the 2D Hazy Maze Cave level from Super Mario Maker 1 (now with clear conditions) and a Multiplayer level designed around racing against someone else.

I also played a level called Switch x Switch. That level is amazing!

• Thanks 1

My level from the WiiU, "CAUTION: Cannon Boos!" is too good to leave behind.

So good, Nintendo nicked the titled concept and used it in one of the Story Mode levels.

• Haha 1

My first post here in forever, just to share my Mario Maker 2 stuff!

Just made one level so far: HNK 2T6 81G

Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

Enjoy!

Hey Mike, Long time no see! :) How’s things? 

Nice to see you back here anyway, and playing Super Mario Maker 2. :cool: I checked out your level, the final bit was intense! :o Very rewarding to clear though.

• Thanks 1

Before we go any further, can I ask everyone to post their creator id's (why the hell can't I just find friends easily in the game?) and for @Ronnie to update the OP with them?

I've played a few levels from NE people so far. 2 of Ronnie and 2 of @GenericAperson I think. Super Bell field was a nice first level. Easy right? Was meh. Beetle drop was somewhat fun and much better, but I found it annoying you can't see what you're supposed to be doing. Learning the timing is trial and error. Plus you could use some resets as you can kill the beetle. I'll play some more stuff later.

15 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Before we go any further, can I ask everyone to post their creator id's (why the hell can't I just find friends easily in the game?) and for @Ronnie to update the OP with them?

I've played a few levels from NE people so far. 2 of Ronnie and 2 of @GenericAperson I think. Super Bell field was a nice first level. Easy right? Was meh. Beetle drop was somewhat fun and much better, but I found it annoying you can't see what you're supposed to be doing. Learning the timing is trial and error. Plus you could use some resets as you can kill the beetle. I'll play some more stuff later.

Yeah, I'm aware you can kill the beetle, it happened a few times during testing. But ultimately I couldn't find a way to get a new one to spawn in to the spring section if said beetle dies. There is only supposed to be one beetle at a time.

The level is designed so you can see the layout of each section before you have to take it on, the intent was to make the player aware of what is going to happen without their own intervention. I'm not the biggest fan of simply telling the player what they needed to do but at the same time I realised that some subtle prompts were going to be required so that the player has some sort of idea about what might be required to solve it like the arrow pointing to a specific wall in the third puzzle. I redesigned the fifth puzzle completely because I completely forgot what the solution was supposed to be and I couldn't find any obvious solution to what was going on until after the redesign when using the solution from the third puzzle and simplifying the entire thing. Those are the two which I think are the most problematic but I wanted to increase the difficulty with each puzzle with more and more complexity.

Ultimately I knew how I wanted the level to start and where I wanted it to eventually get to, it was just a matter of deciding how to progress to that point. I've got another level with a similar idea which I need to think through a bit more as I'm trying to reduce the unfair death aspect of my MM1 levels without treating the player like a brainless idiot who needs everything spelt out for them. Unfortunately there are plenty of younger gamers these days who don't want to have to overcome a challenge.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

The level is designed so you can see the layout of each section before you have to take it on,

Yeah but that's the problem. For the later ones (most of them actually), you can't see all of it. So you don't have an overview, and have to guess what the shell's path is. Which leads to trial and error. It's not a huge problem though, with the checkpoint and the relatively small puzzles.

I'm finally done with my first level! Video preview in the spoiler.

My creator ID: V1B-R8X-71G
Course ID: FTQ-PJN-MGG

Spoiler

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mike said:

Enjoy!

Just played through it. Think I did it the way you intended people to do it.

There's always one guy who'll get past something in a way you don't foresee. But that just makes it more fun.

• Haha 3
  • Weird 1

Hey, just thought I'd share some of my early creations. I've tried to kind of do them in the spirit of SMB3 which is my favourite of all the games. They're not particularly inventive I just wanted to start off with some solid platforming before moving on.

World 9-1 66J-07D-QDG

World 9-2 FPG-6XR-40H

World 9-Fortress 573-9WW-QG

Hope you enjoy 😊

Creator ID VR1-58L-4WG

Edited by ViPeR
  • Thanks 2

Quick level based on a stupid idea I had once I realised something about the SMB style.

D-SueOtU4AEsbVL?format=jpg&name=large

BTW, my Maker ID is 79H-Y6M-B7G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, ViPeR said:

Hey, just thought I'd share some of my early creations. I've tried to kind of do them in the spirit of SMB3 which is my favourite of all the games. They're not particularly inventive I just wanted to start off with some solid platforming before moving on.

World 9-1 66J-07D-QDG

World 9-2 FPG-6XR-40H

World 9-Fortress 573-9WW-QG

Hope you enjoy 😊

These are pretty good, the only thing I would suggest is that you consider using context sensitive power ups in future levels. You know, a power up that changes depending on whether you have a Super Mushroom or not.

If you take something like a Fire Flower or a Super Leaf and then drag a Super Mushroom over it, you'll get a context sensitive item instead.

7 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

These are pretty good, the only thing I would suggest is that you consider using context sensitive power ups in future levels. You know, a power up that changes depending on whether you have a Super Mushroom or not.

If you take something like a Fire Flower or a Super Leaf and then drag a Super Mushroom over it, you'll get a context sensitive item instead.

Thanks Glen I'd completely forgotten about that! It's only through playing others I realised I wanted to make changes to my stages but I can't now they've uploaded which is frustrating. I found out yesterday I could add a key to an enemy so they drop it when they die, so annoying I wanted that in my fortress level!

New level just been uploaded. It's a sequel/remake of Bowser Jr.'s Fiery Fortress from Super Mario Maker, a level I made on that game when I tried to create the illusion of a vertical level. This time... it's an actual proper vertical level.

D-UQX1MU8AAk33j.jpg

Also check out Hazy Maze Cave if you haven't already done so, it's as close to the Super Mario 64 level as you're going to get imo.

D-PoAzUUcAIydOc.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just created my next level in my World 9 series homage to the desert world.

MNJ-D6B-NLG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ViPeR said:

Just created my next level in my World 9 series homage to the desert world.

MNJ-D6B-NLG

Cherish your 100% clear rate while it lasts.

• Haha 1

I played some great levels from you guys.

@RedShell The vertical water one was you right? Love the 2 options you have. I got the "bad ending".
@Glen-i Sorry for a bunch of deaths, I was trying to speedrun your level.. It's fun for going fast.
@ViPeR I really love your SMB3 levels!

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sméagol said:

I played some great levels from you guys.

@Cube The vertical water one was you right? Love the 2 options you have. I got the "bad ending".

Actually, I believe that's @RedShell.

• Thanks 1

Oh yeah that's what I meant! Sorry! How the hell did I mention Cube? Is he even playing the game?

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Just played through it. Think I did it the way you intended people to do it.

There's always one guy who'll get past something in a way you don't foresee. But that just makes it more fun.

Haha... Nice sequence breaking! :laughing:

My next level is up now - a new version of what was, I think, my most liked level in the first game..

72B-VYS-SGG

I have made several levels,  all of them were created with great care in an effort to engage the player and test their skills without going overboard with extreme difficulty.  I’m really trying to design quality stages to the best of my ability.

Here’s the one’s I’ve got so far:

MakerID: RealJaxonH
WQ7-6R1-6KF

FULL LENGTH COURSES

Luigi’s Last Mansion
MDL-9P1-YLG

Spiny Miny Tunnel
CQT-RJK-3PG

Pirhana Parkway [Intermediate]
RDP-CTW-KRF

The Lion’s Den [Intermediate]
WQ7-6R1-6KF

Skyway Scramble [Intermediate]
FM3-MTW-D1G

SHORT AND SWEET

Koopa Kavern [Intermediate]
PCP-MKG-XNG

Learning Curve [Easy]
HQ4-3W7-LLG

@Mike

I tried your level but didn’t beat it.  I can tell a lot of work was put into it,  and I like the whole “3 door approach” you were going for.  I would however,  if you’re interested in feedback,  recommend the player not be punished with death for choosing one of three doors that randomly will be right or wrong.  Random guessing can work, but the consequences could maybe be less severe when you’ve got a 67% chance of failure on each choice.  After three sets of choices, for example, your probability of getting them all right is less than 4%. 

Keep at it. Though I wasn’t able to clear it I’m sure somebody will manage it!

EDIT:

I beat it.  I died a ton, but the checkpoints helped.  I really liked the level.  I didn’t like dying every time I made a wrong choice but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have a blast playing it.  Extremely well designed 

EDIT 2: 

OHHHH. I wish I’d read your comment about tables.  Now I get it.  I see it now.  It just didn’t hit me when I was playing it what all those numbers meant. Ok.  Well that changes things because that gives the player a fair chance.  Heck I would’ve got everything right my first try had I known that Lol

Edited by JaxonH
  • Thanks 1