NEurope
Sméagol

Visual novels on Switch

I wanted to create a general thread about visual novels on Switch, although I'll (and hopefully others) will still create separate threads for the big games. As we all know, Switch has pretty much taken PSP Vita's place in Japan, with plenty of Visual Novels getting released over there. But slowly some of them start to make it across to the West.

Clannad is apparently getting a western release:
https://nintendoeverything.com/clannad-confirmed-for-western-release-on-switch-next-month/

I'm not very familiar with it, but I do know it's considered one of the classics, so maybe it will get its own thread.

In the west, publisher PQube is doing its part in getting some visual novels over here. They've released 3 so far, of which I bought and played the last one, World End Syndrome. Maybe I'll create a thread for it once I've done a few more runs, but I can say I love the art and character designs, and the mix of drama, humour, horror and romance.

Upcoming games from PQube are Raging Loop (more horror orientated, for all the veteran mafia players here: it actually sounds a bit like "werewolf: the visual novel") and Root Letter: Last Anwser (drama thriller I believe), both which sound interesting to me. The last one has an option to use FMV instead of traditional artwork.

I still need to add Steins;Gate to my collection though.

Who's playing visual novels on Switch here? Any games we're looking forward to? Any currently Japanese-only games we'd like to see localized?

• Like 1

I'm not big on Visual Novels, but... Would Phoenix Wright Trilogy count as one?

7 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

I'd say so. One of the most well known ones these days.

On 21/06/2019 at 2:05 AM, Jonnas said:

At first glance I would say so.. But thinking about it, it differs pretty wildly from the typical visual novels I want to discuss here. There's also the fact that Phoenix Wright is pretty popular and doesn't need to be lumped together with the other visual novels. Phoenix Wright has "actual gameplay" (point & click style), while a typical novel does not go much beyond dialogue choices. Also Phoenix Wright has a linear story. There are no alternative endings, and no optional / missable / alternative dialogue.. You get the complete and same story every single run (maybe the later games do, I don't know).

There were also some western / indie visual novels, some of which I already posted in the indie thread.

Necro Barista

Of course there's Va11-Hall-A, which has its own thread and is highly recommended. I also like Cinders which I have on Steam. It's pretty much a visual novel take on the classic fairy tale Cinderella, with multiple endings. Short but fun. I also suspect Night Call falls into this catagory, one of the Nindies I was looking forward too.

Edited by Sméagol

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH OH MAN I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS!!!!!! That trailer got me HYPED. Now all we need is a Steam release of Chaos;Head

Edit: The Japanese version also seems to have an English option, so import from the country of your preference. I'll need to look into what the story is about, because I'm not that fond of the artstyle actually.. I only know it's regarded as a classic.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

Thanks for those titles mentioned so far.  The Switch has a larger library of visual novels than I realised!

I prefer those where there is a bit more gameplay, even it’s just in the form of puzzles, and where my decisions matter (i.e., a more involving ‘choose your own adventure’ game).  I love the Phoenix Wright and Zero Escape games. I have been burned on 3DS with titles such as Time Hollow, which was just reading a story and was a real letdown.  I’ll have for look into some of the titles mentioned so far in this thread.

5 minutes ago, WackerJr said:

Thanks for those titles mentioned so far.  The Switch has a larger library of visual novels than I realised!

I prefer those where there is a bit more gameplay, even it’s just in the form of puzzles, and where my decisions matter (i.e., a more involving ‘choose your own adventure’ game).  I love the Phoenix Wright and Zero Escape games. I have been burned on 3DS with titles such as Time Hollow, which was just reading a story and was a real letdown.  I’ll have for look into some of the titles mentioned so far in this thread.

Most of the titles in this thread are going to be of the "lots of reading" kind, so you may want to look elsewhere..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bob said:

They've still not worked out how to use a semicolon, I see.

They never will.

Thread bump!

Just put together a feature piece for the site on how the Switch has become a great console for visual novels.

The Rebirth of Visual Novels  

content-2-36214-therebirthofvisualnovelssidebox.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1