NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

Let's N-Decide: Best Metroidvania

Best Metroidvania  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best Metroidvania...

• Axiom Verge
    • Castlevania: SOTN
    • Cave Story
    • Guacamelee! (1 or 2)
    • Hollow Knight
    • Ori and the Blind Forest
    • Steamworld Dig (1 or 2)
    • Super Metroid
    • Yoku's Island Express
    • Other (Please specify)

10 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Can't say I would ever consider Control or God of War (PS4) Metroidvanias, I think they would seem pretty out of place on that list IGN put up, even if 3D games were included. The rebooted Tomb Raider I could maybe see the argument for though.

They cover all four "requirements" listed in that video (while IGN accept only three for it to count for that). 

To me, they definitely have the same feel. They're just more narrative driven ones like Metroid Fusion.

With Control, every time I got a new power or keycard, I explored every single previous area just to find any secrets, new areas and stuff like that. To me, that's the main vital element of a Metroidvania.

39 minutes ago, Cube said:

They cover all four "requirements" listed in that video (while IGN accept only three for it to count for that). 

To me, they definitely have the same feel. They're just more narrative driven ones like Metroid Fusion.

With Control, every time I got a new power or keycard, I explored every single previous area just to find any secrets, new areas and stuff like that. To me, that's the main vital element of a Metroidvania.

Personally speaking I just don't think if someone were to ask me what's the best Metroidvania out there, I'd even think of answering God of War or Control, much as I adored those games. But thinking about it I can see your point, especially with Control. I was going to say those games are very level/area based, but then Super Metroid is made up of lots of different areas accessed by lifts !

I guess it's just easier to categorise the genre when it comes to 2D, given a lot of modern 3D games have large interconnected maps with backtracking and ability-gating these days. Does that mean Ocarina of Time is a Metroidvania? 

The funny thing is, because the only games in the genre I'd played until recently were the Metroid games I always thought the genre would have it built in a way where every powerup is required to eventually get to the next area.

But having played the likes of Hollow Knight and Symphony of the Night I realise most Metroidvanias actually have a relatively small number of powerups that you need to acquire in order to progress. The amount is a lot lower in every Metroidvania that isn't Metroid. Samus is entirely dependant on the powerups she obtains in order to get stronger and progress further... but the Knight only has a few powerups that actually allow him to progress and the Charms system governs the actual strength of everything. Similarly, Alucard has RPG levelling and equipment in his game. So one of the pillars of the Metroidvania genre in SOTN actually has action RPG elements so you just get stronger by fighting lots of enemies and finding better equipment. Often if you go into dead ends you find more powerful equipment which isn't really required to beat the game but that is what inevitably makes you stronger.

For example in the Alchemy Hall if you go down a certain route you can pick up a shield. However this shield is very missable and you can go into the first major boss battle as Alucard without ever having picked up that shield, the boss can even be beaten without said shield. But the shield makes it easier as you can defend against the bombard of projectiles and not get damaged in the process. You can even explore a large part of Dracula's Castle before you can even find the powerup you need to access the next area in the game and even then you don't just find it, you need to buy it off the Master Librarian. Even then you open up two different possible routes from that powerup that both lead to full on explorable areas.

So I guess "Metroid" is really a Metroidvania which is very powerup dependent. A lot of others have other systems in place and I believe the level up system was also used in the GBA Castlevania games.

Sign in to follow this