NEurope
Sméagol

No More Heroes 3

I won't be starting 3 for a while, but between 1 and 2 I definitely prefer 1. Despite being somewhat empty, I always missed the overworld in 2, and wish they improved upon it instead of getting rid of it altogether.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I greatly prefer NMH1 over NMH2.  Suda’s absence as director is sorely felt in NMH2, as it’s a very straightforward sequel that kind of misses the point of the original in many ways.

It does a lot of pandering to the fans by “fixing” things which weren’t really problems (most notably the ridiculous jobs that Travis had to do to pay his way into the rankings from the first game).  It’s a very paint by numbers sequel that smooths over the rough edges of the first game… except that the rough edges were the best bits of the original game; they were the whole point!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I greatly prefer NMH1 over NMH2.  Suda’s absence as director is sorely felt in NMH2, as it’s a very straightforward sequel that kind of misses the point of the original in many ways.

It does a lot of pandering to the fans by “fixing” things which weren’t really problems (most notably the ridiculous jobs that Travis had to do to pay his way into the rankings from the first game).  It’s a very paint by numbers sequel that smooths over the rough edges of the first game… except that the rough edges were the best bits of the original game; they were the whole point!

I always got the impression back at the time on Wii that Desperate Struggle was seen more favourably by the majority but I personally enjoyed the first game much more!

As I reach Rank 5 in Desperate Struggle on Switch (The first time I have played the sequel since the very first time on Wii unlike the original which I've cleared 3 or 4 times), my stance hasn't changed. It feels very disjointed!

Definitely still looking forward to unsealing No More Heroes III, though :grin:

• Thanks 1

Just finished NMH3, loved it, so crazy and over the top. Some of the stuff that happened was crazy, some of it still doesn't make sense....that fights at the end.... holy hell. Haha.

What's the odds of Travis being the final Smash DLC? I would live it after this game haha.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mokong said:

What's the odds of Travis being the final Smash DLC? I would live it after this game haha.

They're not great.

32 minutes ago, Mokong said:

Nil, he got a Mii costume recently.

The latest Spirit Event was for the release of No More Heroes 3 as well.

If you've been following the Gaming Diary thread, you'll perhaps be aware that I finished No More Heroes 3 in the early hours of this morning.

You may also have noted that my enthusiasm dwindled with each tweet that I shared!

I dipped my toe into the first hour last year expecting it to be one of my highlights of 2021 but I never got around to playing more of it until only a few weeks ago. Back at that time, it felt like it was gonna be as wild and crazy as expected and the return to form the franchise needed after only really excelling with the original on Wii.

I was wrong :hmm:

Is the game wild and crazy? Absolutely yes, but not in a way that elevated the game beyond the sum of its highly questionable parts.

The combat is largely satisfying but the scenarios in which you get to perform are so rigid and repetitive that I grew tired of the formula pretty quickly. 

Locate and fight a few designated battles in the embarrassingly poor 'open world', carry out a couple of random tasks to raise funds (which often wasn't even necessary) and then pay to enter the next ranking battle. Rinse and repeat. 

The original game had you feeling like you were really building up for each battle and, when you'd get there, you'd really have to concentrate to take down each assassin in an often long and intense fight knowing that one or two mistakes could see you in trouble.

Here, I didn't really feel much of a sense of threat or triumph from the ranking battles and when those appear to be the main hook to keep your progressing, that's a big problem.

Despite offering up several unique scenarios to take down the eclectic cast of aliens, the game rarely, if ever, knocked it out of the park.

To have each episode punctuated with regular and increasingly grating credits sequences followed by watching irrelevant chatter on a mocked up CRT TV quickly became tiresome and this feeling was further emphasized by knowing that once you were back in Travis' apartment it was just going to be the same routine of going down the pole to enhance your abilities and then outside to find the next selection of designated battles marked on the map.

Honestly, the game is such a disappointment and with all the insane tangents that Suda 51 seems to want to take you on, nothing ever really lands. It just feels crazy for the sake of it.

Aw well.. at least the icon on the Switch menu is cool 😅