NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

Immortals Fenyx Rising (December 3, 2020)

1 hour ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Just a curious thought popped into me head - Do you use your sight to signpost the chest in each Vault?

I didn't till at least halfway through

Never crossed my mind to try. :blank: I've just been keeping en eye for the columns of light as chest indicators. 

10 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Never crossed my mind to try. :blank: I've just been keeping en eye for the columns of light as chest indicators. 

I think I only came across it when just looking for something, then got the teeny rumble. Most of the time you can see them, but it's a nice lil hack so you don't have to traipse through it again.

2 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I think I only came across it when just looking for something, then got the teeny rumble. Most of the time you can see them, but it's a nice lil hack so you don't have to traipse through it again.

I'll be taking advantage of that because the columns of light disappear when you close in them, so it can be easy to glide past the section you wanted to investigate. One time I replayed a vault for a chest I found tucked away in behind the goal area. I've checked back there every time since and it's been a more commonly used hiding place than I would have expected. Crafty.

• Like 1

SANDSHREW SHOULDERS
(Don't think this image is a spoiler? It looked as good as any for what I want to comment on...)

Forgot to mention in regards to War's Den that Ares has Sandslash for shoulder armour??! Can't not see it.

Coming off the latest Splatfest and jumping back into this last night was a wee bit jarring. Near died from fall damage immediately as I needed a minute to adjust back to the buttons. :laughing:

Just want to draw attention again to how small the map is to traverse. It's great. The horse not being shy about galloping over rocky terrain or jumping off ledges makes getting around at pace oh so smooth. Didn't take too long to grab the three ambrosia I'd identified (limited myself to nabbing one chest, okay maybe two, along the way) then pointed the compass to N and got moving. Seconds later I pulled up at a place the narrators saw fit to chime in on. Worth checking the map to see where it was if it got their attention, I thought, in case it's worth revisiting later. Lo and behold, I was already up into the hitherto unmapped zone. Keep thinking it'll take a while to cross the map and it never does. Incredible.

Uncovered the Forgelands map, marked a bunch of things to check, met Hephaistos and set off to sort out that armour I got for finishing the Ares stuff. Spent some time trying to get into the forge to no avail, so started with the Hephaistos tasks which have revealed a way to get the forge open for business. 

For some reason, there's something about these frozen robots that strikes me as sad when I stop to look at them.

Edited by darksnowman
image size
  • Like 2

Got finished up with Hephaistos—I already thought the robot sculptures were saddening, then the story wound up getting heavy too—then pressed onwards through blizzard conditions to a finish. There's still plenty to do and get, but it just felt like a good time to push through rather than delay it. Going up the mountain in the northern area was the closest thing to a slog in this game. Nice that they added some variety, I suppose, but it was still a drag. Earlier, I'd left a vault (in the northeast) that saps your stamina so I wasn't exhilarated to see the mechanic come into play in the real world.

Storywise, the end sequence of events was good stuff. Truth bomb after truth bomb and the final vault was a decent victory lap of the puzzles I'd been solving throughout... some of them since Boom Blox on the Wii, in fact. After getting the armour sorted out in the forge, I went through what I had and happened upon a winning combo of helmet/ armour/ phospor that restored health and stamina through combat. Enemies were suddenly trivialised. Even Typhon. Very satisfying indeed. 

Typhon deserved everything he got. My jaw hit the floor witnessing what he did after the first section of the final showdown. 

Aside from the snow mountain seeming a bit of a dud, here are some other things I picked up on:

Vaults can go on one puzzle iteration too many.
Was there enemy scaling? I didn't feel like I was really getting ahead until that winning combo of equips near the end. 
Is there something to protect against lasers? I brute-forced a bit in the finale with potions (which I never thought to try before). Died so many times to lasers throughout. :( 
After receiving the Phosphor sidequest, I expected more "live" stuff like it but there was nothing of the sort going on. Not that I was exactly wanting for things to do so perhaps it would have been overwhelming to have NPCs dish out sidequests on top of everything else? Still, the way Phospor was introduced made the game world seem more alive and dynamic than it ended up being.
I'd still like a way to auto-mark everything on the map. :D 

Not that I'm down on the game or anything; overall I thought Immortals was very good. A super first foray into these notorious "Ubisoft-style games" for me. Plenty of evenings these past few weeks I've lost track of time just going for one more nearby chest or challenge. It's been great. Saying that, I've zero intention of moving onto Assassins Creed or whatever else they offer in this vain—I'm good for the time being. Though this Immortals purchase came with the expansions, so I may well look into those further down the line, as well as whatever postgame may be lying in wait. I'm curious to load my clear game save to see if that snow storm has cleared...

And now to play something I don't have to tinker with the Switch Internet connection to bypass a mandatory login. :nono: 

Sign in to follow this