NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

Immortals Fenyx Rising (December 3, 2020)

Nice preview here from IGN, who saw gameplay

From the creators of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey comes a storybook adventure about a forgotten hero on a quest to save the Greek gods.

Embark on a journey to the Isle of the Blessed, taken over by dangerous creatures of mythology. Prove your legendary heroism by taking on their leader, Typhon, the deadliest monster in all of mythology in a face-off for the ages.

Explore a beautiful fantasy world where tricky puzzles, mysterious dungeons and heroic feats await. The journey will be as challenging and rewarding as the final destination.
Will you be the Hero of the legends foretold?

orp-game-info-2.jpg

orp-game-info-new-3.jpg

opr-gorgon-final-web.jpg

orp-game-info-5.jpg

02_Orpheus_Landscape_FINAL.jpg

It's weird, the Ubi conference made it seem like this game was a couple of years away from release, but no, it's out in 8 months lol

(Also on PS4/Xbox One/PC)

Seems pretty interesting. It aims to be the "most open world game ever", which makes me question if it can beat Breath of the Wild in that regard. I just hope there will be enough to do in the game, and that the overworld is filled with unique and interesting monsters and characters. Looking forward to seeing images from towns and cities too. This could be really good, but the bar is Breath of the Wild, and that's gonna be a tough game to beat. Still, BotW is a masterpiece, so if this manages to feel like the game but in an unique way, I'm all for it. 

• Like 1

I'll need to see actual gameplay eventually, but at first impressions it seems like I want to reward Ubisoft for their efforts.

Well, looks like those rumours about a title change were right. Game is now titled Immortals Fenyx Rising. Oh and it's releasing 3rd December 2020.

Trailer from Ubisoft Forward:

Immortals Fenyx Rising™ brings grand mythological adventure to life. Play as Fenyx, a new winged demigod on a quest to save the Greek gods and their home from a dark curse.

Take on mythological beasts, master the legendary powers of the gods and defeat Typhon, the deadliest Titan in Greek mythology, in an epic fight for the ages.  

The fate of the world is at stake – you are the gods’ last hope.

Not a big fan of the new title...

Got a (short) deep dive into the game too:

Quite liking the art style of the world though, definitely getting those Breath of the Wild vibes. 

Edited by Julius

I am impressed. This will most likely be the game for me to play for the rest of the year once it's out. Way more interested in this than any game Nintendo has put out the past year, at least.

Longer walkthrough with some gameplay:

Some previews have just gone up too:

Edited by Julius

I love how shameless they were in copying BOTW, especially the shrines when making their "vaults" :laughing:

Terrible name, ugly UI, janky animations typical for a Ubisoft openworld game, and whilst I like the art style a lot, it looks like an early current gen game, not a late/next gen one. Kind of gives me a B-tier Starlink kind of vibe.

Gameplay looks fun though, but similar to the current Assassin's Creed games, purposeful story content seems to take a back seat for lots and lots of generic busywork and checklists. Hope I'm wrong, and don't mean to sound too negative, as I'll definitely be picking it up.

Edited by Ronnie

This looks great. Engaging combat, a world with lots of secrets to explore, Greek mythology. Can't wait to give this a go.

The title makes my head hurt, and my inner grammar Nazi scream.

Seriously, what a terrible title, it's not even snappy.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

This looks great. Engaging combat, a world with lots of secrets to explore, Greek mythology. Can't wait to give this a go.

Big stylised openworld you can explore in any direction from the beginning, puzzle shrines littered around the map that give you a stamina orb at the end, being able to glide around and climb anything. I appreciate the inspiration though. 

Watching more gameplay I like what I see a lot more than the opening trailer, it does look pretty fun.

Finally got the time to watch a 30 minute preview instead of just watching some snippets.

Now I'm even more excited.
Looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to get lost in the world and just explore every nook and cranny. Combat seems to be right up my alley, too.

Really hope there will be an option to remove the HUD.

The previews also reminded me that Genshin Impact will be released in 2 1/2 weeks. Can't wait to give that one a go :D

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Big stylised openworld you can explore in any direction from the beginning, puzzle shrines littered around the map that give you a stamina orb at the end, being able to glide around and climb anything. I appreciate the inspiration though. 

Yeah it's clearly Breath of the Wild inspired. But the icing on the cake is that the big black/purple knight looks exactly like a Phantom, not sure if that is intentional though!

Still, looks like a joy to play and better a good rip-off than a bad original game. I probably won't play it at launch but the good thing about Ubisoft titles is you can just wait half a year and pick it up at half price.

50 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Yeah it's clearly Breath of the Wild inspired. But the icing on the cake is that the big black/purple knight looks exactly like a Phantom, not sure if that is intentional though!

Still, looks like a joy to play and better a good rip-off than a bad original game. I probably won't play it at launch but the good thing about Ubisoft titles is you can just wait half a year and pick it up at half price.

Yeah if people love Breath of the Wild I'm sure they'll love this. There are worse games to be base yours on!

Be interesting to see how the enemy scaling works if you can tackle the areas in any order.

I spotted the Phantom too :laughing:

Edited by Ronnie

And another point I just thought of. This is of course a multi-platform title, so there are probably plenty of Xbox and PS players who never played (a game like) Breath of the Wild. So it will feel a lot more fresh for them anyway.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

And another point I just thought of. This is of course a multi-platform title, so there are probably plenty of Xbox and PS players who never played (a game like) Breath of the Wild. So it will feel a lot more fresh for them anyway.

And now, they too can use the magnesis rune to solve puzzles :grin:

magnesis.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Played the demo on Stadia earlier today and thought it was pretty good (ran flawlessly on Stadia I should add, not that I'd be playing the game there its just where they've released the demo). You can tell its from the AC Odyssey team with the control scheme and the way you traverse the world in a basic sense (there's added mechanics like flying/gliding that make use of a stamina bar). Its very much a cross of that with Breath of the Wild, so the likelihood is it'll be crucified here and many other places for daring to be like BotW, but it does come together well, if maybe showing a bit of imposter syndrome and not really taking a step out from behind those games' shadows to go its own way much.

Generally speaking, it plays well, though the controls when carrying things for puzzles felt off and the gliding mechanic didn't feel as smooth as I'd have liked. Combat is straight AC Odyssey but looks to combos with special abilities and such.

The world definitely looks great, vibrant use of colour even if the main character looked like she'd been painted with Ronseal. Feels very inviting from that visual perspective and the soundtrack from the little snippets that are there sound nice.

Biggest issue was the demo really hammed things up and felt like it was trying too hard to be funny. There's something to be said for dialing things back and letting things flow a bit more naturally. I don't know how that'll translate to the wider and full release but I hope its not like that all the way through.

So yeah, it seems to be pretty good. The only thing is that it comes out 3 and a half weeks after AC Valhalla and thats going to be a tough sell as I suspect that game is on people's radars more than this is. For me, its certainly that way, though I would consider it down the line into next year maybe at a slight discount. Will be curious to see the Switch version in action. The mix of large open areas and vibrant colours may bring to mind BotW but its a third party game that may suffer from not being appropriately optimised for the platform. One to keep an eye on though perhaps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good to hear impressions. I'm a bit bored of Ubisoft openworld games full of busiwork but this looks a bit more imaginative than most so I'm looking forward to it.

I don't think a lot of people will crucify the game for the BOTW connection, I posted a gif recently that showed Fenyx using a Magnesis rune like ability but it was meant more as a joke than a criticism. A game as immensely popular will and should inspire other game creators, that's how the industry has always worked. Obviously you can take it a bit too far (*cough*Genshin Impact*cough*) but Fenyx's interpretation seems a good compromise. 

Edited by Ronnie

Reviews are coming and it averages to 77 on Metacritic at the moment (Switch version). THe combat and story are supposed to be excellent, while the puzzles and environment in general are a bit lacking. 

Seems like a game where you should wait for the inevitable price drop, unless you just need it now. I just bnought Inside and The Last Campfire and they should last a couple of weeks. Then we'll see. I like the look of this.

Also, launch trailer and deep dive trailer:

Edited by MindFreak

Ubisoft openworld games have always felt like the compete opposite of Breath of the Wild to me, busywork checklists and progress bars vs discovery based open exploration, so I was dubious they'd pull this off. No surprise to hear the exploration and puzzles aren't great. Still looks fun enough though.

Will sadly wait for the price to plummet as usual.

The Switch version looks to run surprisingly well, obviously an enormous visual downgrade from the PS5 version but I was expecting it to look a lot worse. 

There's way too much going on with the HUD though for my liking, probably as a consequence of all the usual Ubisoft open world tropes. It's the kind of game I'd happily check out a demo for and maybe pick up the full version in a sale but by the time it goes down in price BOTW 2 should be on the horizon and that will undoubtedly do a better job of scratching the open world itch this is trying to capitalise on.

I see the game didn't even manage to break into the top 10 in the UK charts, which isn't that hard to do these days. I wouldn't be surprised to see this get a price drop as soon as the Boxing Day/New Year sales start. 

No wonder that Ubisoft has to put out updated versions of old games every year to make money if their original projects in general just crash. :/ 

8 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

No wonder that Ubisoft has to put out updated versions of old games every year to make money if their original projects in general just crash. :/ 

They were stupid enough to release it at the end of the year. It's competing with the likes of FIFA, CoD, Creed etc. Also, releasing a week before Cyberpunk drops isn't going to help matters. They should have put the game out around Jan-Feb time.

Sign in to follow this