NEurope
Esequiel

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

3 hours ago, Julius said:

Shoulders, knees and toes (Hide contents)

I'm not quite sure that's right re: they only appear during Blood Moon? They make the sky look like a blood moon is taking place, turning it red and dark, but I've encountered the Gloom Spawn/Hands/Floormaster 3000s out in the open during broad daylight (and after they vanished it went back to being the middle of the day) – I'm pretty sure they're tied to a location and then respawn during the Blood Moons just like every other enemy. Maybe there's an increased likelihood of them turning up leading up to a Blood Moon? No idea. 

First time I encountered them they scared the ever-living Hylia out of me, I was just swimming from one side of a small stream to another and, well, yeah. Horrifying to encounter out of the blue.

Loved it. 

Spoiler

Well, true. I might have seen them in broad daylight as well. I just encountered them coincidentally when there was a blood moon coming and they disappeared afterwards. But I don't know, a couple of times they just disappeared again.

27 minutes ago, MindFreak said:
  Left foot out (Reveal hidden contents)

Well, true. I might have seen them in broad daylight as well. I just encountered them coincidentally when there was a blood moon coming and they disappeared afterwards. But I don't know, a couple of times they just disappeared again.

Spoiler

They showed up twice in the same cave for me even after I had to warp away after the first encounter and I used a stable to heal up so I don't think they are connected.

Spoiler

Think I skipped the 2nd Kohga battle and did the 3rd one before it 

I was still able to do the 2nd one after, but I wish I didn't have to, it was such a pain. Thankfully Recall works against his attack.

16 hours ago, Julius said:

I feel like there are less unknowns for something like Recall compared with the Remote Bombs (range, timing, etc.), and so it just feels tighter when it comes to using those powers for me, and much more direct and purposeful when I do use those power. I will say that Recall + Ultrahand is super OP in shrines and the like, super early on at the Great Sky Island I found myself smoothly moving things around with Ultrahand, then just jumping on and using Recall to skip completing some puzzles the "intended" way in favour of just using a platform as an elevator instead. Works for anywhere with a high ledge and multiple platforms to move. One of my favourite boss fights that I've encountered so far heavily depended on using the new powers, which I loved! Also, I don't know if it's just me and my consistently inconsistent commitment to the game, but I've forgotten on a few occasions that I have Ascend, such as one time in a cave where I started to backtrack and then 90% of the way back to the entrance went "oh...hold on a sec, I can just use Ascend" :laughing: anyways, in short: puzzles have been great. 

Also about the Shrines and getting Deeper... (Reveal hidden contents)

Absolutely love The Depths, jumping in for the first time and hearing that brass sent chills down my spine. Love how it's pitch black (what I was talking about before was the Brightbloom seeds - you get some in the mining area in the pitch black of a cave on the Great Sky Island, which is what made me think we were going to get something like this...but I expected pockets, not an entire other world to explore, however desolate it may be!). I ended up back at the Great Plateau super early into my adventure and completed the quest for the Bargainer Statue with a whole lot of sprinting around. 

Also, much respect to them for having the Lightroots directly underneath Shrines, but further yet - THE NAMES OF THE LIGHTROOTS BEING THE NAMES OF THE SHRINES, BUT BACKWARDS! I absolutely love stuff like that. 

I haven't really done all that much in The Depths besides run around lighting the place up and getting the extra power that's down there, I tend to pop in when I see something but not for particularly long, as it definitely feels like they want you to prepare before diving in! 

Is funny how we've had two years in a row where the obvious GOTY winner has a sizeable underground area not shown in advertising...wonder what this means for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth :p

So for me it's one of the best games in its class, like BOTW, for exploration for me...but I think combat in general is sorely lacking. I thought the same in BOTW, but there just isn't enough to it. Does there need to be? Maybe not. But I think the only thing - besides minor nitpicks and returning issues from the last game - major that I'd take issue with TOTK is how stale the combat is compared to just how rich and refined other areas of the game feel. 

If someone wants to take Bloodborne style combat and fuse it with BOTW/TOTK's exploration I seriously think that would be the pinnacle of what can be achieved in a game like this. 

I really need to use more ultrahand and recall more often. I have done it occasionally when the shrine needs it, but when it isn't "needed" I don't find myself using it, which would make things much easier.

Spoiler

The Depths were interesting to begin with, but it got boring very quickly because you're either wading through empty darkness to get from lightroot to lightroot, or stopping to throw/shoot lightseeds so you can move to the next lightroot. Avoiding enemies because the gloom mechanic is bullshit, and having to deviate around the pools of gloom, because the gloom mechanic is bullshit. You could make a vehicle to get across bits, but unless you know it's a flat surface or have peppered the way with light seeds, you'll hit/go off something and lose it very quickly, so is hardly worth the time.

I had no idea the shrines were roots backwards! or they mirrored the shrine locations! which is either clever, or simply lazy writing for the former and lazy world design on the latter (I honestly don't know how serious I am about this statement) - but this has given a nice help on where to find shrines where I have found the underground root, but not the overground shrine, so I can Womblin' free my way over to them. 

I don't know if there was anything like this in Breath of The Wild (with I think the exception of the Zora spear [?]), but was there ever a way to remake unique weapons? I've gotten myself the Fierce Deity Sword and I fear of it breaking so haven't bothered with it. Either way, I've found that I'm more of a spear guy this time around, probably because I'm shit at shieldwork.

Side note - In both games, every time I see a new shrine name appear I imagine Nintendo putting their hand into a Scrabble bag and just throwing the tiles out and seeing what they can make out of them.

15 hours ago, Julius said:
  :D (Hide contents)

going clockwise I doubt I'd get to Hateno for a good while, so either I just beeline for it and teleport back...or maybe just forget it until close to the end of my journey and get it when I get it? It's not a massive deal, would just be nice to know I'm not retreading the same path in some cases, or to help spot what I've missed. 

The fact that something "different" has happened to each race (Goron is still a semi mystery to me, but I've met a couple and have a theory), going in a similar order as to what you did before will still feel completely new. I think I did both Zora/Rito ones first mainly for the sake of help with swimming/gliding shizzle.

1 hour ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

but was there ever a way to remake unique weapons? I've gotten myself the Fierce Deity Sword and I fear of it breaking so haven't bothered with it.

Just buy the Majora's Mask amiibo to have a chance of getting the weapon again once per day :)

8 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Just buy the Majora's Mask amiibo to have a chance of getting the weapon again once per day :)

Bollocks to that! I guess I'll have to shell out for a weapon room in my shitty Duplo house and pop it in there

4 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I really need to use more ultrahand and recall more often. I have done it occasionally when the shrine needs it, but when it isn't "needed" I don't find myself using it, which would make things much easier.

Yeah, definitely use it! It's pretty OP when you figure out just how crazy Recall is, just be careful with getting it caught on corners when moving platforms around and it's a godsend. 

Think the first time I used it was on one of the sluice puzzles on the Great Sky Island, put a huge smile on my face :D

About your shrines and getting deeper... (Reveal hidden contents)

The Depths were interesting to begin with, but it got boring very quickly because you're either wading through empty darkness to get from lightroot to lightroot, or stopping to throw/shoot lightseeds so you can move to the next lightroot. Avoiding enemies because the gloom mechanic is bullshit, and having to deviate around the pools of gloom, because the gloom mechanic is bullshit. You could make a vehicle to get across bits, but unless you know it's a flat surface or have peppered the way with light seeds, you'll hit/go off something and lose it very quickly, so is hardly worth the time.

I had no idea the shrines were roots backwards! or they mirrored the shrine locations! which is either clever, or simply lazy writing for the former and lazy world design on the latter (I honestly don't know how serious I am about this statement) - but this has given a nice help on where to find shrines where I have found the underground root, but not the overground shrine, so I can Womblin' free my way over to them. 

Spoiler

Yeah, I can definitely see some of what you're saying - it's a bit flat and repetitive, I don't know if there are any different biomes, but I have enough of the underground uncovered (about as much as I do the surface - about a third) that I don't think there is? Which is a shame if so, varied underground biomes would have been awesome. I think for me the things like the Bargainer puzzle which I uncovered early on really gave me a positive outlook on it, but still got a lot to go - we'll see how I feel when all is said and done! 

I don't think I've done much down there in terms of combat to be honest, probably down to Gloom and everything just hitting so hard, so I've just been beelining from one Lightroot to another, think the only guy I fought was Kohga? In fairness though, that's also how I carried out my excursions into the underground of last year's GOTY - early on I would just run around lighting the place up, but then came back later on with better equipment and at a higher level to take it all on. 

As for the Lightroom name/locations, yeah, I thought it was awesome once I noticed it! Think the story reason is something about the light in the Shrines dispelling the dark and all that fun nonsense. 

Speaking of which, I haven't paid too much attention to Link's new arm as I've completed Shrines but I know the blessings are touching it, seemingly seeking out the corruption – curious if it's actually having noticeable visual impact on the arm at all? Like the reverse of Wander in Shadow of the Colossus? Something I'll be keeping an eye on at least :p

The fact that something "different" has happened to each race (Goron is still a semi mystery to me, but I've met a couple and have a theory), going in a similar order as to what you did before will still feel completely new. I think I did both Zora/Rito ones first mainly for the sake of help with swimming/gliding shizzle.

That's good to hear at least! I didn't have so much an issue with going the same way around, but more with having to uproot myself from my current path and go in a completely direction to get something, but I guess it's not essential so I'll just stick to my original plan :p

Jumping in here to talk about the game definitely has me wanting to get back to it, which is good, because I was a little worried I might've drifted from it like I did at one point with BOTW :D

Edited by Julius

Spoiler

I found out the other day that attaching a brightseed to a vehicle in the Depths will light up the area you move in. Absolutely obvious in hindsight but hadn't thought about it before then. It really helped out not bumping into stuff all the time. 

14 minutes ago, Julius said:

and deeper still (Hide contents)

Yeah, I can definitely see some of what you're saying - it's a bit flat and repetitive, I don't know if there are any different biomes, but I have enough of the underground uncovered (about as much as I do the surface - about a third) that I don't think there is? Which is a shame if so, varied underground biomes would have been awesome. I think for me the things like the Bargainer puzzle which I uncovered early on really gave me a positive outlook on it, but still got a lot to go - we'll see how I feel when all is said and done! 

I don't think I've done much down there in terms of combat to be honest, probably down to Gloom and everything just hitting so hard, so I've just been beelining from one Lightroot to another, think the only guy I thought was Kohga? In fairness though, that's also how I carried out my excursions into the underground of last year's GOTY - early on I would just run around lighting the place up, but then came back later on with better equipment and at a higher level to take it all on. 

As for the Lightroom name/locations, yeah, I thought it was awesome once I noticed it! Think the story reason is something about the light in the Shrines dispelling the dark and all that fun nonsense. 

Speaking of which, I haven't paid too much attention to Link's new arm as I've completed Shrines but I know the blessings are touching it, seemingly seeking out the corruption – curious if it's actually having noticeable visual impact on the arm at all? Like the reverse of Wander in Shadow of the Colossus? Something I'll be keeping an eye on at least :p

Spoiler

I did come across a burning hot area, one because it was near a lava waterfall, then one far away where the air was burning, I tried flying to the next lightroot but my health was going down too fast and I had to warp out mid-air to a stable. Again, I need Death Mountain level protection. Waddaya mean by Bargainer Puzzle? I've gotten a few things from him and seen one of his friends (and have the location of another), but I don't recall a puzzle.

If you're asking if the person you faced was Kohga, then it wasn't. If he's there the game will let you know ;)

With the Master Sword and ghosts the battles in the Depths are a bit easier, but it's too much effort for little reward for me. I annihilated one team in the Akkala ruins primarily with bomb arrows and then glided in and picked off the stragglers, but that was only because I thought there was a piece of Fierce Deity fancy dress down there.

As for your aethetic improvement, I don't think it does change, I've got max stamina and coming up to a full row of hearts and I've not noticed any change, Granted I'm wearing the Tunic of Time for the majority of things, switching to my climbing/zora/cold protection/heat protection clothes when the occasional calls for it.

2 minutes ago, MindFreak said:
  Darkness (Hide contents)

I found out the other day that attaching a brightseed to a vehicle in the Depths will light up the area you move in. Absolutely obvious in hindsight but hadn't thought about it before then. It really helped out not bumping into stuff all the time. 

You can cook light stuff into food and it'll make you glow also

51 minutes ago, FalcoLombardi said:

I'm quite bad at combat but I'm trying!!

Likewise, but it's not as it there's any finesse. I can't be bothered with shield parrying and half of the time I try to stealthstrike they turn around the last second, same with success on flurry rushing.

Glide in from above, strike down, hammer attack button. Classic.

4 hours ago, FalcoLombardi said:

Welp, I'm on to the castle.

Just be warned, with the Cubes and the Spheres floating about, I fear they'll do a Picard and build up a great villain just to replace them with the Borg.

That glow spreads out as long a gnat's leg, though.

51 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
20 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

That glow spreads out as long a gnat's leg, though.

True, but sometimes I'm too low on arrows and don't want to waste them on this, whereas I'm tripping mushrooms and fish. I realised a better way to initially explore a chasm, usually I just land on the floor like Iron Man and scout for the lightroot which isn't always visible from ground level, instead as soon as the hole opens up I jettison my paraglider and can usually see a lightroot from that altitude and can whizz over.

I also stupidly used to warp to a root at the end of my visual and just wander into the darkness, instead of going down new chasms. 

You don't need arrows to launch bright seeds, just throw them. But as mentioned, throwing a giant one on a vehicle is the best way.

You must have a better pitching arm in your copy, because my Link is shit at throwing bright seeds. As mentioned before I wouldn't risk making a vehicle down there. Could one be merged with a weapon?

I supposed you could attach one to a rock, but it's slow carrying, and using ultrahand I think the orangeness of it would counteract it

You must have a better pitching arm in your copy, because my Link is shit at throwing bright seeds. As mentioned before I wouldn't risk making a vehicle down there. Could one be merged with a weapon?
I supposed you could attach one to a rock, but it's slow carrying, and using ultrahand I think the orangeness of it would counteract it
Why wouldn't you risk making a vehicle down there? It's the best place to build a vehicle. And throwing a giant bright seed on it makes it much easier to see where you're going at all times.

You want it to be a flying vehicle, mind.

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:

Why wouldn't you risk making a vehicle down there? It's the best place to build a vehicle. And throwing a giant bright seed on it makes it much easier to see where you're going at all times.

You want it to be a flying vehicle, mind.

Because I often ride into the darkness, If it's all lit up I generally will avoid it because I know how bland it'll be, or go high and glide over it

Quick side note, is there a way to get things to stop when you're using the controller attachment on a vehicle? Because Link just jumps off it like it's a horse and the vehicle runs off a bit.

Because I often ride into the darkness, If it's all lit up I generally will avoid it because I know how bland it'll be, or go high and glide over it
Quick side note, is there a way to get things to stop when you're using the controller attachment on a vehicle? Because Link just jumps off it like it's a horse and the vehicle runs off a bit.
Quit yo jibber jabber. Build a simple flying device with a giant bright seed on it, then get back to me. You'll never go through the depths any other way after trying it.
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
1 hour ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Quit yo jibber jabber. Build a simple flying device with a giant bright seed on it, then get back to me. You'll never go through the depths any other way after trying it.

But I only have one battery :( I suppose I could pop charges like I pop bananas like Pez's during battle...

I mean the main battery, I have some in those gacha pods.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Me too on the battery I have the one full one and one bit. But its done me for what I need at the moment.

I love finding 

Spoiler

all these underground passage ways and areas that are not the full underground chasms. I found Zelda's secret passage to the royal rooms (from the shelter in Lookout Landing. there was a well I went in that had boulders to blast away that then led me all the way to a beach area. I've found two underground areas in Gerudo. This game just keeps on giving.

But I only have one battery  I suppose I could pop charges like I pop bananas like Pez's during battle... I mean the main battery, I have some in those gacha pods.

In that case I strong recommend you farm some zonaite then turn it into charge at the various shops in the depths. Then hop back up to the main sky island to cash out the charge into new batteries.

11 hours ago, Sheikah said:

In that case I strong recommend you farm some zonaite then turn it into charge at the various shops in the depths. Then hop back up to the main sky island to cash out the charge into new batteries.

I actually did that last night, not the turn Zoanite into charges into Crystalized Zoanite or however it works, but I had enough crystalized shizzle to make a whole new battery. Luckily I got a 100 piece item after beating someone in de Depths.

I did try a vehicle down there, the only one I have on autobuild is the beam cycle, which I remove the laser thing because it wastes energy. It crashed and lost one of the wooden beams on the side so it kept tipping over. Which was nice. Luckily though I was near one of those depository things where they have some materials, so just cobbled a hot air balloon and fan then glided over.

Spoiler

It's most displeasing when I know almost exactly where a shrine is because I have its lightroot, but I can't find it because it's under a mountain. Fuck the snow area.