NEurope
Esequiel

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

49 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

My copy has also arrived, from ShopTo.

CalmVeneratedAmericancicada-size_restric

49 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Not exactly surprising

Eurogamer changing to a 5-star review system the day before this releases and then giving it a 4/5 lmao

42 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Reviews are coming in. Metacritic is currently broken, but it was at 97 last I checked.

Yep, still there at 97 with 67 reviews now. Really want to see that next cover of Edge :p

Right then, now I've seen the review scores but not watched a single one, I guess it's time for me to go see what all the fuss is about :D

ETA: the Digital Foundry tech review is up, will definitely be taking a look at this one later ~

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

I've not even played it and yet I want to throttle that Eurogamer reviewer. Don't temper my hype, you bounder!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Eurogamer changing to a 5-star review system the day before this releases and then giving it a 4/5 lmao

I raised Tom right

1 hour ago, Julius said:

CalmVeneratedAmericancicada-size_restric

Yep, still there at 97 with 67 reviews now. Really want to see that next cover of Edge :p

Right then, now I've seen the review scores but not watched a single one, I guess it's time for me to go see what all the fuss is about :D

ETA: the Digital Foundry tech review is up, will definitely be taking a look at this one later ~

Basically there are almost no improvements over the original BOTW, but it also has basically the same level of image quality and performance.

Kinda sad that there have been basically no notable technological improvements for Switch since it launched 6.5 years ago.  It ended up getting maxed out by a Wii U port from day 1.  The days of developers squeezing more juice out of hardware over time as they learn the ins & outs of the hardware are long gone it seems :(

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

Kinda sad that there have been basically no notable technological improvements for Switch since it launched 6.5 years ago. 

Breath of the Wild had one overworld. Tears has floating sky islands everywhere and build-anything construction kits. You're being disingenuous. It's a much more technically demanding game.

• Haha 1

I know first party publishers have things a little easier because they can QA and typically release games whenever they want, but this quote from IGN:

I saw essentially no bugs in over 100 hours.

is remarkable, especially given the game is such a complex sandbox. Absolutely insane. Quite a contrast to other big releases this gen.

Best developers on the planet.

Edited by Ronnie

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Breath of the Wild had one overworld. Tears has floating sky islands everywhere and build-anything construction kits. You're being disingenuous. It's a much more technically demanding game.

You know that the game doesn't load the entire world in one go right?  It having a larger map doesn't really increase processing load in of itself.  It might require a bit more RAM, but Switch has more than 3x the amount of usable RAM as the Wii U does anyway, so not exactly pushing the boat out there.

Edited by Dcubed

Just now, Dcubed said:

You know that the game doesn't load the entire world in one go right?  It having a larger map doesn't really increase processing load in of itself.

I realise the every branch on a tree on a sky island doesn't load when you're on the surface, but the game is more technically demanding. That's fact.

Got the game and has taken some time off work tomorrow. Will run my children to school / day care and then just game all day... Even though it's supposedly going to be the hottest day of the year here in Denmark (not that that says much, it's been really bad weather until now). Might go for a run in the middle of the day, though.

ShopTo delivered early, which surprised me.

Just as i was going to go out for lunch as well, so decided to put an hour in.  So far, so good.

I played this for a couple of hours yesterday as my copy arrived early.

Quick tip - I ran into control problems after I unlocked the first ability, I could not work it out and got into a pickle in the first shrine. Turns out that I had changed to the "pro" HUD which hides the control prompts. So you might want to stick to the normal HUD during the prologue area.

8 hours ago, FalcoLombardi said:

I have a suspicion that this game will be good.

Resist.

Mine is apparently coming between 2-3pm today, I'll be at work but have put it to deliver to neighbour if not in. So I'll knock on their door before I get to mine if I get the delivery email.

26 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Mine is apparently coming between 2-3pm today, I'll be at work but have put it to deliver to neighbour if not in. So I'll knock on their door before I get to mine if I get the delivery email.

Are you getting hyped at least a little now? :)

Been playing some more and I'm still enjoying...but less. Some of the ugly is starting to rear its head and sadly it's not much fun having to deal with it.

Anyways, happy launch day everyone. Given how many of you enjoyed BotW, you're going to have a field day with TotK :peace:

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Are you getting hyped at least a little now? :)

A little, but I'm tempering it. I'm hoping by going in nearly 100% blind I'll end up enjoying the magic more, and if I'm not exploring I worry the majority of my time will just be crafting weapons by sticking something heavy/large on a stick like object.

• Like 1

Quick tip - I ran into control problems after I unlocked the first ability, I could not work it out and got into a pickle in the first shrine. Turns out that I had changed to the "pro" HUD which hides the control prompts. So you might want to stick to the normal HUD during the prologue area.
Sounds like a skill issue.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Rotating does leave a little something to be desired, it doesn't feel that intuitive to get things in the orientation you want.

Waiting for my copy, it should arrive today from Nintendo store as they usually do. I will probably not be looking in the thread even though I know spoiler tags willl be in effect, so happy Zeldaing and enjoy the game everyone. I will be playing all weekend except for Smash. break on Saturday evening.

• Like 1

Don't know how anyone gave this in 10 given this important feature is missing

And @Glen-i yes but this is the first time using it. Looked into it a while ago for yourself actually as it could be useful for match making stuff but only forum staff could do it so you'd have to ask one of us each time. Was hoping I could just give you the power to do it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

48 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Don't know how anyone gave this in 10 given this important feature is missing

Noticed this myself and was crushed.

But it also made me think: H-o-T would enjoy this :p

The Collector's Edition from the Nintendo store comes with a couple of extra bits so the box is enormous! I appreciate the packaging art though...

IMG6590.jpg

• Like 1