NEurope
Esequiel

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Regarding the latest ATD…

Spoiler

I think that you’re getting hung up on the nomenclature here.  

They do refer to the Divine Beasts as the “dungeons” of BOTW in that same interview, and I would expect these “dungeons” here to be similar in structure and gameplay format.  You certainly won’t be getting the intricate puzzle boxes and lock n’ key design of classic Zelda here, because that would go against the freeform sandbox gameplay that defines BOTW and TOTK.  They will probably play out like extended shrines, albeit with more varied art design and perhaps multiple entrances.

Edited by Dcubed

2 hours ago, Julius said:
  what the follow-up tweet, quoting the interview, confirms (Reveal hidden contents)

and that is the existence of dungeons.

I mean, it's a Zelda game, so they could be like the Divine Beasts in BotW I suppose, and still refer to them as dungeons. But still, far as I'm aware, it's the first time it's been confirmed that dungeons even exist in the game. 

Got to be one of the weirdest marketing campaigns I've witnessed for a game. 

HUGE SPOILERS. DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANNA KNOW ANYTHING. @Julius DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANNA KNOW MORE ABOUT THE STUFF IN YOUR SPOILER TAG

Spoiler

No. They are not the classic dungeons. And they are also not "huge".

I'm doing the first one (at least my first one) and it plays similar to the Divine Beasts. It's definitely a bit larger, yes, but that's about it.

THINK I'M GONNA MAKE THIS MY STANDARD FONT FORMATTING! :p

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

Speaking of the Nintendo Store, does anyone else have Status: Awaiting Shipment for the Special Edition? That doesn't sound promising lol

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Speaking of the Nintendo Store, does anyone else have Status: Awaiting Shipment for the Special Edition? That doesn't sound promising lol

Should be fine, they've shipped at like 9pm on a Thursday sometimes and it arrived the next day.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, for some reason I read it as they're waiting for stock to fulfil my order

Mine was the same @Ronnie but I just got an email saying it's been dispatched so yours could still be sent out tonight too 

Will probably avoid posting in this thread for a while, looking forward to getting lost in Hyrule again!

• Like 1

I got an e-mail update from ShopTo, my copy was dispatched at 9pm, yesterday.

So it could arrive today, or Friday... either way, I probably won't play it until the evening of whatever day it arrives.

At least it's on the way through.

6 hours ago, S.C.G said:

So it could arrive today, or Friday... either way, I probably won't play it until the evening of whatever day it arrives.

Mine was "in the warehouse" yesterday, so hoping for a dispatch today :D 

6 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Got the dispatch email myself yesterday morning around 09:00 after the email on Tuesday to say they would dispatch Wednesday/yesterday, and just woke up to find myself staring at an email saying it'll be delivered today (along with the amiibo). It's been with my local depot (which is a five minute walk at most from my apartment) since 06:00...

So, uh, I don't want to jinx it, but it looks like my copy might be arriving today? :bouncy:

40353c9c8a7dca56dff73c8c8157dbb6.gif

• Like 1

Just got the dispatch email, fingers crossed for a today delivery as the wife is at home and can accept... wishful thinking perchance.

• Like 1

ShopTo, you brilliant bastards, it's turned up a day early! :bouncy:

Fv1XSeCWAAAnB6V?format=jpg&name=large

(and yes I did finally break the Skyward Sword Joy-Cons out of their box just for this game :p)

Looks like my amiibo isn't arriving until tomorrow, but other than that, think I'll take my leave from this thread until the end of the weekend (in terms of talking about my time with the game) so that I can share some more cohesive thoughts once a few more of us are playing, and not to fill the thread up with spoiler tags and me going "OHMUHGOSH DID THEY DO IT DID THEY OR DID THEY NOT GO ALL THE WAY AND FIX THE PRO HUD?!" :laughing: (also don't want to hint at anything else I might find)

Hope everyone has a great first experience with the game! :peace:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Julius said:

think I'll take my leave from this thread

Feel free to write me the occasional PM with some of your impressions (if you can get away from the game :D).
And don't worry about spoilers there :p

Enjoy the game :)

• Like 1

Final two chapters of the Ask the Developer interviews for TotK are up! 

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

Final two chapters of the Ask the Developer interviews for TotK are up!

What are you still doing here? :p

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, drahkon said:

What are you still doing here? :p

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952f1aa3c8c2b6e5bec2

Taking my lunch break :p

(I guess I meant in terms of talking about my time with the game, I'll leave after reviews drop :laughing:)

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Julius said:

ShopTo, you brilliant bastards, it's turned up a day early!

Lucky! I haven't had a game show up a day early from Shopto since the pandemic started.

Reviews are coming in. Metacritic is currently broken, but it was at 97 last I checked. Same as BOTW. Masterpiece confirmed.

It's a glorious, triumphant sequel to one of the best video games of all time; absolute unfiltered bliss to lose yourself in for hundreds of hours. We can't wait to see what the world will do with the game.

10/10
Nintendo Life

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is an unfathomable follow-up to one of the greatest games ever made, somehow improving upon it in nearly every way. Nintendo has followed up a triumph with a triumph, expanding and evolving a world that already felt full beyond expectation and raising the bar ever higher into the clouds.

10/10
IGN

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a canvas for your own creativity, a book to write your own stories, a world to create your own legends. It gives you back as much as you put into it, and beckons you to soar, burrow, engineer, solve, adventure, and explore.

10/10
Gamespot

I don’t know how, but Nintendo managed to follow a straight-up masterpiece with something bigger, better, and smarter. I genuinely feel bad for every other video game that has to be released in 2023.

10/10
Gaming Bible

It’s phenomenal, of course. Does Nintendo’s much-hyped sequel to the extraordinary Breath of the Wild live up to the dizzying heights of its predecessor? Yes, somehow, and more beyond.

5/5
Telegraph

Tears Of The Kingdom effortlessly dances between the epic and the ridiculous - and every single moment in this vast, gorgeous playground will be completely unique to each player. I don’t know how, but Nintendo managed to follow a straight-up masterpiece with something bigger, better, and smarter.

5/5
Guardian

Tears of the Kingdom is a monumental achievement, and it's going to be talked about relentlessly for years to come.

5/5
ScreenRant

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of Kingdom might just end up being one of the best games ever made, with unparalleled exploration that offers freedom and creativity on a scale never before seen.

10/10
God is a Geek

The real kicker that helps separate Tears from Breath of the Wild is its power set. I felt like I was in control at all times, and had the ability to create my own path. For a series known for sequence-breaking, that's not just a perk; it's a strong argument for why Tears of the Kingdom will be talked about for years on end.

10/10
Destructoid

All told, Tears of the Kingdom is an astonishing, quite literally top-to-bottom sequel, adding complexity and splendor to the Breath of the Wild formula without sacrificing its enchantment.

4/5
Eurogamer

Edit: couple more

We’ve already spent 80 hours in this world and want to get back to it as soon as we can. Tears of the Kingdom [is] a phenomenal experience.

5/5
VGC

Everything about Tears of the Kingdom improves upon the core vision of Breath of the Wild. It is a staggering achievement of game design, and the best open-world experience ever created.

10/10
Inverse

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

Will believe it when I have it in my hands. I trust not the words of these hacks!

Can I get an amen.

• Haha 1