NEurope
Esequiel

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Is the travel medallion actually available to you from the beginning or is it just a convenience for the previews so they didn't have waste any time getting back up to the sky islands?

13 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Is the travel medallion actually available to you from the beginning or is it just a convenience for the previews so they didn't have waste any time getting back up to the sky islands?

It was in the BOTW DLC so probably given to you pretty early here.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

This has absolutely no bearing on what I'm about to say, but gosh darn do I hope we get the Hero's Path available from the get-go (and same for teleporting horse armour while we're at it) :D

It's kind of crazy to me just how much stuff released in the DLC for BOTW feels like it should've been in the game from launch! 

Anyways, I'm grateful but also really curious about what Nintendo seem to have purposely veered away from with these previews. No underground, which is funny to me because they've shown shots of what we assume is the underground on one or two occasions already - heck the first trailer for the game starts off underground! There's no real caves in the previews at all to be honest, funny considering it was a big part of how they sold Ascend in Aonuma's demo. No word on temples. No word on the green swirly wisps which most reckon are shrines, etc. It's got to the point that I've seen one or two people asking those who got preview the game whether or not there's still going to be a minimalistic Pro HUD available!

I know it's a sequel, but I genuinely can't remember the last time I was going into a game having such little idea about what I'm in for – there were one or two big surprises in Elden Ring, sure, but I also feel like the trailers hinted *a lot* at some of those surprises. 

And, honestly, I really appreciate it.

It's always perplexed me why so many films, games, shows, etc., with huge existing fanbases like Zelda feel the need to blow their proverbial load in trailers and their extensive marketing campaigns which oftentimes seem hell bent on spoiling the fun. Showing restraint in marketing an obvious shoe-in for what will (at least) be a GOTY nominee by the year's end on a system which has broken absurd sales records since the game it is a sequel to launched is seriously commendable, because the argument could just as easily be made that they should throw the kitchen sink at us as much as they shouldn't. 

They've shown more or less the perfect amount – enough that the doubters about new content seem to have shut up shop (for now...let's see what happens around launch), and little enough that everyone else's eyes are on their calendars just counting down the days until launch. 

Of which there are now just 15 and a smidge! :bouncy:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The ability to summon builds you've Ultrahand-ed before sounds great. I imagine it'd get tedious to constantly build the same rafts or flying machines piece by piece so if they limit your actual build time to new builds? Great stuff.

This is a surprise, I bet you still have to wait a bit before you can skip the cooking animation though, that's where the real frustration comes from.

12 hours ago, Julius said:

It's kind of crazy to me just how much stuff released in the DLC for BOTW feels like it should've been in the game from launch! 

Too true, would've made the game suck way less. Especially the horse stuff. Mainly that really, I'm not sure what other conveniences were offered for you to shell money out on.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

3 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I bet you still have to wait a bit before you can skip the cooking animation though, that's where the real frustration comes from.

Yes that 6 second long cooking animation the first time you cook was agony. 

22 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Yes that 6 second long cooking animation the first time you cook was agony. 

I know right? Then you have to start hammering the buttons to skip it as soon as possible every single time around, just so you can cook 5 apples.

2 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I know right? Then you have to start hammering the buttons to skip it as soon as possible every single time around, just so you can cook 5 apples.

On the upside I've seen in some of the previews that we have some sort of way to track recipes this time

Because I won't lie I just tossed random things in the pot to cook 99% of the time in BOTW, and well, I saw this a lot more than a Hero really should...

nintendo-breath-of-the-wild-food.jpg

... :p

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Julius said:

On the upside I've seen in some of the previews that we have some sort of way to track recipes this time

Because I won't lie I just tossed random things in the pot to cook 99% of the time in BOTW, and well, I saw this a lot more than a Hero really should... :p

Same here, although it was mainly 5 of the same thing, apples, peppers, mushrooms, meat, maybe I'd do some meat AND veg, I know, I know... I'm such a rebel.

The most complicated dish I ever made was when they forced you into it for the bird children. Seeing the options of what you could make is impressive, but I just don't have the patience to test everything. Pick ingredients, press cook, instant result - Tales of Symphonia Stylie. 

I even tried making elixirs as well, but all I ever got was that Dubious Food, so I gave up.

12 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

The most complicated dish I ever made was when they forced you into it for the bird children. Seeing the options of what you could make is impressive, but I just don't have the patience to test everything. Pick ingredients, press cook, instant result - Tales of Symphonia Stylie

That's hilarious to me, because I'm playing Tales of Vesperia, and as quick as cooking is, actually getting some of the recipes is an absolute nightmare!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I thought that wasn't out for a few weeks yet.

1 hour ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Same here, although it was mainly 5 of the same thing, apples, peppers, mushrooms, meat, maybe I'd do some meat AND veg, I know, I know... I'm such a rebel.

The most complicated dish I ever made was when they forced you into it for the bird children. Seeing the options of what you could make is impressive, but I just don't have the patience to test everything. Pick ingredients, press cook, instant result - Tales of Symphonia Stylie. 

I even tried making elixirs as well, but all I ever got was that Dubious Food, so I gave up.

Pretty much mirrors my experience. Not that I can remember anything about a recipe for the bird children so either it was something optional that passed me by, or it was such a pain I've blocked it from memory. :D I think the only time I cooked (after initially trying it at the beginning of the game) was to reach the Gorons? Or, tbh, I might have just legged it to the marker from the nearest normal temperature angle and consumed uncooked food on the way to keep topping up my health. Yay, flexibility. 

I remember an NPC cooking (burning) food somewhere. Talking with them was probably my biggest interaction with cooking. The game sorely needed a cookbook section on the slate, or just no cooking whatsoever. Can't wait for the next Mario to have you rustling up leafy dishes with mushrooms and fire flowers.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

I thought that wasn't out for a few weeks yet.

How do you mean? The BOTW DLC came out in 2017. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

How do you mean? The BOTW DLC came out in 2017. 

The Internet told me TotK is BotW DLC! :grin:

• Haha 1

Haha, silly me. 

You're right the glorified DLC comes out in a couple of weeks :laughing:

Seems Nintendo provided some dodgy B-roll for previewers to use in addition to their own clips. Basically footage looks like it chugs in the footage far more than it actually does. Here's an analysis from direct footage...

TWO WEEKS TO GO! :bouncy:

15 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Seems Nintendo provided some dodgy B-roll for previewers to use in addition to their own clips. Basically footage looks like it chugs in the footage far more than it actually does.

Interesting, but might make some of the discrepancies in reported performance from previews make more sense (I think I heard everything from "it was practically flawless" to "it C H U G G E D"). 

• Like 1

It seems that my earlier assumption/speculation of the Zonai being related to the Twili could be off.

It would appear to be some totally different kind of dragon people. Can't wait to learn more.

Anyone else hoping they're hiding the Picori in this game? They wanted to put them in BotW, but it didn't came to be.

PSA: there is apparently a Collector's Edition of the game out in the wild, so if there was a time to go dark (if that's your sort of thing), it's probably around now :peace:

Just 13 days to go... :bouncy:

Edited by Julius

Apparently someone is (or was) live streaming it

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Apparently someone is (or was) live streaming it

I'm kind of surprised it took so long after someone got the CE the other day.

Apparently the game's files have now been dumped online, which is why there are apparently multiple people trying to stream it. Nintendo are shutting them down but pretty hilariously the streamer who lasted longest (I think the one you're referring to Ashley) got banned and then was streaming again within a few minutes.

By the way, it's kind of nuts that's people are doing this so blatantly just a week or so after Nintendo ripped that hacker apart in court (ended up jailed for 3 years and 25% to 30% of his salary basically taken for life to put towards paying off his $15 million or whatever fine). 

It's a shame about the leak, and it's going to be a long week and a half or so now for those of us wanting to avoid spoilers, and it'll be a week in which I'm sure those files are going to be ripped to shreds and a very surface level view of the game from items to dialogue is going to start turning up everywhere (at least for people following game news). So that's potentially another game that's going to have it's discussion dictated early on by leaks. Think I'll be walking away from YouTube until launch later this week myself. 

Also, with them being proactive this time around about shutting down streams – does this all mean Ninty actively decided to not go after the people that were streaming Scarlet/Violet early last year? :laughing:

Nintendo have already taken the money for my pre-order, got my hopes up for an early dispatch but the official store is usually pretty strict about not sending it out until the very last minute.

Still, getting pretty excited now - just over a week to go!

Any confirmation on when the review embargo is? I'd guess it'll be the day before, like BOTW, but Nintendo might want a slightly longer lead in this time round

Money been taken too from my account, ordered from official site. Though not taken the money for the Amiibo yet.

Will be avoiding all as much as possible, which for me won't be that hard as I don't follow many gaming sites nor visit YouTube that much at all. So hopefully will be able to play this is a little over a week all fresh and not knowing anything.

• Like 1

Shopto took my money months ago, sneaky fucks. I'm hoping this means I'll get it super early 

One week to go! 

:bouncy:

Brad Ellis from Easy Allies spent an hour the other day thinking back to Breath of the Wild and his history with the Zelda franchise, a fun watch I'd recommend that'll shave an hour off the next week while you wait for Tears of the Kingdom to drop :peace:

• Like 3

One week until the sequel to Breath of the Wild. Crazy.:cry::bouncy::heart:

A nice little recap video by Nintendo of the events of BotW 

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1