NEurope
Esequiel

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

3 hours ago, Julius said:

Jokes aside though, anyone got any more title predictions based on the trailer?

Ah, I have it. Seeing as the sky plays a big part. They should call it Skyward Sword!

...What?

3 hours ago, Julius said:

Jury's still out for me on just how they will want to name it in terms of potentially incorporating "Breath of the Wild"…

I like the idea of Breath of the Wind… and I’d tie in bits of lore from both Skyward Sword (sky islands, obviously) and Wind Waker - islands on the ocean perhaps being linked in some way to the sky islands in this game.

I love all the little things in Zelda games like this.

Hell, I’d add the Wind Waker itself as an item to help glide from island to island… and then eventually I’d have Loftwings in the game too where you can freely move from surface to sky islands at any point from any location.

Edited by Kav

The Legend of Zelda: The 10,000 Year War

The story will involve time travel, and BotW Link will end up being the same Link who helped seal Ganon in the events 10,000 years before BotW. 

tumblr_inline_pt0hm5YlHp1rxbcbr_1280.jpg

Link in the scroll looks a bit more beast-like, possibly because of his longer hair and mechanical arm. 

Crazier theory:

The Legend of Zelda: Demise of the Wild

not actually time travel, but these events start again, and the whole timeline is a loop. As Link and Zelda's power alone is not enough to fully trap Galamity Ganon, part of his energy escapes and we get Gannondorf (who can talk). Throughout the game, Link and Zelda (and the Sheikah) develop a prison to hold the energy, in front of the Temple of time.

As Gannondorf is being sealed, he yells out "No prison will ever contain me, I will be your demise"

• Like 3

Nintendo Responds to Breath of the Wild 2 Comparisons With Majora's Mask

“I would say it’s an easy comparison or conclusion to jump to at this point in time, just given what’s been shown so far and given the nature of it being a direct sequel,” Trinen explained. “So I understand people making that conclusion, but at the same time – and I don’t want to delve too much into it – but this is its own game.”

“I think as we start to show a bit more of the game over the coming months to the next year or so, it’ll probably start to be a bit more apparent where this game stands on its own and what makes it so unique,” Trinen said.

Trinen indicated there was certainly more we don’t know about too, saying “the way that [this sequel] builds on Breath of the Wild, which already was such an expansive game with so many layers of Link’s abilities and layers to the gameplay… I think this is going to layer quite a bit more into that.”

Nothing groundbreaking but a few tidbits there

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Julius said:

Jokes aside though, anyone got any more title predictions based on the trailer? 

If there is going to be time travel mechanics or time travel in this then there’s two possible names inspired by the only time travel franchise that counts:

Back to the Wild or Breath of the Future

• Haha 2

The erhu at the end was playing the start of Zelda's Lullaby. I've watched the trailer a lot, that took a while to pick up! 

I kind of want to play more Zelda games now just because I hate to miss out on musical nods like that :laughing: (oh and I hear they're pretty good most of the time too :p)

30 minutes ago, Julius said:

The erhu at the end was playing the start of Zelda's Lullaby. I've watched the trailer a lot, that took a while to pick up! 

I kind of want to play more Zelda games now just because I hate to miss out on musical nods like that :laughing: (oh and I hear they're pretty good most of the time too :p)

Well, how about Link to the Past? It's on the SNES Online App, it was the first time Zelda's Lullaby made an appearance and if you open up an online room, someone can come in, watch you play it and maybe give you pointers if you get lost or stuck?

• Like 1

Do we think it'll be called Breath of the Wild 2 : [Whatever] or it will be The Legend of Zelda: [Whatever]? 

25 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Do we think it'll be called Breath of the Wild 2 : [Whatever] or it will be The Legend of Zelda: [Whatever]? 

I think logically, from a business perspective, the former makes the most sense: leave no semblance of a doubt that it's a sequel to Breath of the Wild, that title recognition is far too valuable to drop considering how well the first game sold, especially in comparison to earlier entries in the series. 

But this is Nintendo, so of course that goes out of the window and it'll be the latter :p

11 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Well, how about Link to the Past? It's on the SNES Online App, it was the first time Zelda's Lullaby made an appearance and if you open up an online room, someone can come in, watch you play it and maybe give you pointers if you get lost or stuck?

Now that we know there aren't any other plans for Zelda's 35th (boooooooo), I think I'll probably return to Ocarina of Time on 3DS sometime this summer. I got probably 60% of the way through before dropping it out of the blue, so while I can see its influence on so much of what I play, I still haven't seen that ending! I've been actively putting it off (and playing other Zelda games) in case there ended up being a Switch port for the anniversary, but now we know that's not coming anytime soon, I think I'll have to. 

Similar thing with Dragon Quest VIII too. Started it straight after XI, got some 20+ hours in, got bogged down with other things and dropped it. Been praying for a port to modern consoles and actively putting off the other games I own in the series hoping for it, but nothing at the anniversary event or at this E3 (except for Square Enix tearing my heart out). 

Guess what I'm saying is my 3DS will probably see some use for the first time in a while this summer :D

Hope it's not Breath of the Wind, because then the acronyms get confusing.

Breath of the Wild: Corrup2on

Whatever, it sounds okay in my head. :cry: 

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Now that we know there aren't any other plans for Zelda's 35th (boooooooo), I think I'll probably return to Ocarina of Time on 3DS sometime this summer. I got probably 60% of the way through before dropping it out of the blue, so while I can see its influence on so much of what I play, I still haven't seen that ending! I've been actively putting it off (and playing other Zelda games) in case there ended up being a Switch port for the anniversary, but now we know that's not coming anytime soon, I think I'll have to. 

Totally. I did a run-through of Link to the Past one weekend a month or two ago and since there are "no campaigns or other Switch games planned" for the 35th anniversary, I'm thinking of opening a new file in OoT 3DS and/or Links Awakening. Especially after returning to and finishing BotW, it really put me in the mood to play a concise Zelda.

P.S. The ending of OoT is going to blow your mind. :indeed: 

22 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Breath of the Wild: Corrup2on

Burn this :laughing:

22 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Totally. I did a run-through of Link to the Past one weekend a month or two ago and since there are "no campaigns or other Switch games planned" for the 35th anniversary, I'm thinking of opening a new file in OoT 3DS and/or Links Awakening. Especially after returning to and finishing BotW, it really put me in the mood to play a concise Zelda.

Yeah, think I'll definitely have to get around to Ocarina of Time. I was really enjoying it too when I dropped it, it's just getting over that hump of working my way through back to where I was before. 

It's nice that we have access to a fair few of the older 2D Zelda games through NES and SNES Online, I do look forward to getting to those at some point too. I actually also got a copy of the Link's Awakening remake through work just before Christmas too; we have a weird points reward system and a catalogue to use those points on, so I spent a good 30 minutes listing all of the games I was interested in from there, finding their retail price, and comparing that to how many points they cost to get the best £/point value :D

Ok I got an idea, just hit me, don't think I've seen this mentioned by anyone else yet.

What if the Malice that attacks Links arm at start of 2nd trailer is actually Demise's Malice, not Ganondorf and Demise is trying to take over Links body.

The "other" Link we see with the free flowing hair, I was thinking the hair looked familiar, then I relaised it reminded me of Demise's fire hair. Then the was Link's arm is changing kinda looks like the black skin of Demise on his arm.

The green glow we see on Links arm in first trailer and 2nd could be some sort of magic or Zonai tech that is trying to slow down Demise's essence from taking over Link.

In that part in 2nd trailer showing Links arm green with some sort of Zonai brace his finger nails are oddly long and sharp....like Demise!

Let's say the goal of the game is to save Link, to find a way to remove Demise's essence from him but as the game progresses Demise takes over more which changes the game in some way, gives Link different abilities but removes others.

Maybe even a Majora's Mask style time limit where if you reach a certain point Demise takes full control and it's game over but with some sort of reset mechanic (maybe time travel like MM) that lets Link return to the time just after he gets infected but there's some reason he can't go back further. So he has to keep repeating the cycle (like MM) till he finds a way to win.

• Like 2

Theories 

Edited by Kav
  • Like 1

What if the Zelda timeline is circular? As in: Skyward Sword is the start of the timeline, BOTW is the end, and BOTW2 is the "in between"? That's a way that all timelines work.

SS > OOT > whatever games/timeline > BOTW > BOTW2 > SS > OOT > (and so on)

Some new patents may have just shed some more light on mechanics we've seen in the trailers for the game so far. Even though we've seen these mechanics before, these patents suggest that they might be more fleshed out than they originally appeared, so I'll throw them in spoiler tags for now. 

Courtesy of Gamereactor:

Spoiler

Phasing through terrain

legendzelda_3666883_325x.jpg

legendzelda_3666893_325x.jpg

In a first patent, published under number 20210370175 at WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization), we discovered the conditions to accomplish the ability to go through a suspended platform from below to its surface, as we could observe it in the trailer. It proves that it will be possible to perform this action freely, and not at a given and pre-established point, as one might have feared.

Spoiler

Rewind

legendzelda_3666903_325x.jpg

legendzelda_3666913_325x.jpg

Then, the patent US20210370178 also addresses a mechanism already exposed in the trailer. Thanks to the video shared this summer by Nintendo, the most observant had noticed that Link was going to be endowed with a new power, a kind of "Rewind" function to apply to objects. We see from this patent that the object goes back in time in a same way, in reverse, that in its last movement with a representation of the power by a gauge. We can easily imagine that tons of puzzles in a style loved by fans of the series will be based on this.

Spoiler

Free falling

70sZBFJ_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Last but not least, the file under number US20210370179 reveals that the free falling will be much more developed than one might have expected. Not only will our character be able to take several positions but also to shoot with his bow during it. More precisely, Link will have the possibility of falling backward but also diving. This aerial gymnastics is obviously inspired by the acrobatic performances of parachutists, and possibility to shoot with the bow, even while free falling, promises to deliver charismatic and exciting combats in the air.

Very interesting stuff, though I'm never a fan of patenting mechanics, because it just inhibits the progress of creativity and innovation ::shrug:

• Like 2

I tend to avoid spoilers and leaks but couldn't resist here. Really interesting stuff, glad to see so many new mechanics being fleshed out. The systems and physics/chemistry engine from BOTW played a big part in making that game stand out so hopefully the same will be true here.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Julius said:

Some new patents may have just shed some more light on mechanics we've seen in the trailers for the game so far. Even though we've seen these mechanics before, these patents suggest that they might be more fleshed out than they originally appeared, so I'll throw them in spoiler tags for now. 

Courtesy of Gamereactor:

Patent #1 (Reveal hidden contents)

Phasing through terrain

legendzelda_3666883_325x.jpg

legendzelda_3666893_325x.jpg

In a first patent, published under number 20210370175 at WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization), we discovered the conditions to accomplish the ability to go through a suspended platform from below to its surface, as we could observe it in the trailer. It proves that it will be possible to perform this action freely, and not at a given and pre-established point, as one might have feared.

Patent #2 (Reveal hidden contents)

Rewind

legendzelda_3666903_325x.jpg

legendzelda_3666913_325x.jpg

Then, the patent US20210370178 also addresses a mechanism already exposed in the trailer. Thanks to the video shared this summer by Nintendo, the most observant had noticed that Link was going to be endowed with a new power, a kind of "Rewind" function to apply to objects. We see from this patent that the object goes back in time in a same way, in reverse, that in its last movement with a representation of the power by a gauge. We can easily imagine that tons of puzzles in a style loved by fans of the series will be based on this.

Patent #3 (Reveal hidden contents)

Free falling

70sZBFJ_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Last but not least, the file under number US20210370179 reveals that the free falling will be much more developed than one might have expected. Not only will our character be able to take several positions but also to shoot with his bow during it. More precisely, Link will have the possibility of falling backward but also diving. This aerial gymnastics is obviously inspired by the acrobatic performances of parachutists, and possibility to shoot with the bow, even while free falling, promises to deliver charismatic and exciting combats in the air.

Very interesting stuff, though I'm never a fan of patenting mechanics, because it just inhibits the progress of creativity and innovation ::shrug:

Weird that they're patenting the terrain phasing mechanic from the trailer only just now, when they already did this mechanic over a decade ago with Super Mario Galaxy 2! (the drill powerup).

Edited by Dcubed

46 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Peer Schneider at IGN (who's worth listening to) suggesting that BOTW2 is on track for next year and that Nintendo are excited about their 2022 in general. Obviously take it with a grain of salt, things can change etc, but hopefully accurate. 

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/breath-of-the-wild-2-on-track-2022-botw2-nintendo-very-good-year/

Yeah, always loved hearing Peer back when I listened to NVC. 

It's kind of a nothing statement - the last thing we officially heard about the game was that it was slated for 2022 back at E3, and would there ever be a year where Nintendo isn't excited about their upcoming year? - but it's nice to hear at the very least. I'm going into next year on the fence about whether it releases in 2022 or in 2023, mainly down to COVID impacts, but also it's the kind of project seemingly growing bigger and bigger with the more that we hear about mechanics and their ideas for it, but I'm more than happy to wait. 

I'll take this over Jason Schreier fearmongering over games like this and Elden Ring getting delayed any day of the week. I guess the trade-off for his contacts in the industry is that he's a bit of a hype killer. 

Is anyone hopeful that BotW 2 will follow a Majora's Mask style approach, not in terms of Groundhog-daying it, but in terms of making everything a little... weirder? If we're going to be in the same Hyrule, one great thing that you can do is shift the tone a little bit and make it all quirkier, more colourful, and a little bit... strange.

• Thanks 1