NEurope
Esequiel

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

HOLY FUCK. Was not expecting a tease this year.
Think I read Schreier or some such talk about BOTW sequel being a 2020 game.
From the looks of it they might be doing a Majora's Mask thing (no bad thing) so could be quicker to develop sequel that way.

I hope they go full on Majora's Mask with this one. Make it creepy as fuck (to the point where it scars children for life), throw everything out of the window (bar the physics stuff), and generally let the developers do whatever they want.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Happenstance said:

That's exactly what I want. BOTW had an amazing world that for me just felt too empty. I want the sequel to have a great story and characters to go with that world. If they can show that then I'll buy it day one, otherwise I don't know if I'll bother again.

Yup. This is also exactly what I want. If the story is structured in the same way as they done it with BotW then I won't be too excited to pick it up. 

I'm hoping the sequel has varied dungeon and boss designs. Those were another 2 problems I had with the first game and I hope that they get rectified with this one.

• Like 2

The sequel better take place in the driest summer. Rain can fuck right off!

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The story in BOTW suggested Link and Zelda had only recently been acquainted, doubt they'd have gone on this big adventure beforehand. Plus you know, they called it a sequel :laughing:

True. :D But I have seen examples of games with a name suffixed a number 2 and still being a prequel. :p 

But yeah, it makes sense if this is a true sequel.

Wow. Did not expect them to be showing this so soon! Great surprise. :)

It probably won't be too far off either, as they're no doubt doing a "Majora's Mask" here. Anyway, as someone that really loved BotW I am very much looking forward to more of the same, definitely a fan of the additional creepiness that's on display too. :D With Link's Awakening remake having "cute Zelda" well and truly covered, I suppose they can go nuts with making this Zelda game super weird/dark, meaning we get the best of both worlds. :cool:

I'm now wondering if this game will focus on the Underworld of the map, whereas Breath of the Wild focused on the Overworld.

I don't count the shrines as the Underworld, as they just seem to exist in their own space despite where they are on the map.

Either way, while I did very much enjoy a fair bit of the original game and I appreciated its ambition, even I would quite like more of an emphasis on large dungeons with focused design.

And I don't wish to start the debate about the shrines again, they were good for what they were but they just didn't have the same feel as classic Zelda dungeons.

Hyrule Castle though? Brilliant, and I loved that you could go there whenever you felt like you were ready to. I went there before I was ready really and still beat it... somehow.

I didn't even bother with any of the four guardians either... but that's OK because the game was structured in such a way that you could do that.

The silly thing is, I put in maybe a hundred hours or so into the original game but... I'm now wondering how much of that was taken up by scanning amiibos... :p

...I'll get that last missing part of the Fierce Deity Link set one day. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I went less story. Start the game and leave me with a stick, I'll figure the rest out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I'm now wondering if this game will focus on the Underworld of the map, whereas Breath of the Wild focused on the Overworld.

I think thats what they're doing with this one, from the little we see in the trailer it seems like after the events of BOTW Link & Zelda have been searching for the source of the Calamity Ganon and have discovered this crazy tomb. It seems like this is the opening scene of the game and will result in Link and Zelda being separated or one of them taken captive by the petrified corpse of Ganon and setting in motion the rest of the plot.

I fully expect there to be more actual dungeon areas in this, that was the most glaring omission from the first game and the criticism most often raised about it by fans and critics so it would be a huge surprise if the developers haven't taken that on board. It'll be interesting to see how they marry that with the completely open formula of BOTW but I suppose a maze of underground caves will be inherently more difficult to approach from any direction so that restriction could work in their favour. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Could it be that we get to choose to play as Link or Zelda this time? 

I saw a good idea on reddit that there is an overworld and an underworld, you play as link in one, zelda in the other and switch betwee the two for puzzles......i never knew i wanted that but i really do

• Like 1

Aonuma suggesting he wanted to see more of the same world so they made a sequel, so wouldn't get your hopes up on a brand new area to explore. Sadly. I feel like new openworlds in Zelda games is becoming rarer and rarer. Skyward Sword didn't give us one and ALBW re-used the one from ALTTP, then Link's Awakening Remake...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MindFreak said:

True. :D But I have seen examples of games with a name suffixed a number 2 and still being a prequel. :p 

But yeah, it makes sense if this is a true sequel.

Nintendo are calling it "the sequel to BoTW" though.

I'm hoping Link and Zelda stay teamed up or something and you play as both characters.

Nice quick bit of analysis from GameXplain on the trailer, with a proper video to follow later but it feels like they covered all that they could.

A few changes I’d make from BotW:

• Make weapons last a little longer before breaking & introduce a whetstone item so you can sharpen/repair them before they break should you wish to keep a particular weapon.

• Change the tier 1 skill of the Climbing Gear from faster climbing to climb in the rain

• Have traditional-style dungeons

• Populate Hyrule with villages & towns and more NPCs (add a tonne of side-quests for NPCs) as per Zelda’s reference shown in the tweet below:

• Like 2

Some good points @Kavand I agree with them all. I would like to add:

- Environment damage needs to be more effective. Especially with higher level enemies there is no use in throwing rocks or crates on them as damage is minimal. It should deal a fixed percentage of damage no matter the level of the enemy.

- I would like to see the return of some traditional items, especially the hookshot. Or make it possible to draw yourself to magnetic objects as an alternative.

- If it is open world again, give us a hero path option from the start instead of as paid DLC! It's damn useful but shouldn't be a paid function.

• Like 2

What's interesting is Link clearly has the Master Sword in that teaser, so I wonder if they'll have him lose it or just ditch the weapon mechanic altogether (which I think would be a shame)

• Like 1

Maybe they could have blacksmiths in villages, each smith can only make one type of item, requires certain resources to pay for it. They only can craft one item at a time, and it takes x amount of real life time before the weapon is crafted. To allow them to make new weapons you need to show them an example (maybe unused?) and weapons could be tiered, so the smith needs you to invest (like the fairies) so that they can craft the next level up of weapons... something along those lines maybe...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

the art style of the Link's Awakening remake

giphy.gif

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, nekunando said:

As long as it doesn't have the gameplay of Link's Awakening..

ezgif-5-93b52b1e24e0.gif

Edit: Thank you very much, ezgif.com. Now I look like a fool.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

ezgif-5-93b52b1e24e0.gif
Edit: Thank you very much, ezgif.com. Now I look like a fool.
It's not ezgif.com's fault, you looked like a fool already!