NEurope
Esequiel

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

HOLY FUCK. Was not expecting a tease this year.

Think I read Schreier or some such talk about BOTW sequel being a 2020 game.

Damnit, I hate it when developers announce games so far away from their release date.

2 minutes ago, bob said:

Damnit, I hate it when developers announce games so far away from their release date.

Developed by Bandai Namco :laughing:

Quick thoughts:

- With the castle taking off I wonder (pray) if there's a new area to explore? It would be a massive shame to re-use the same overworld, even changed somewhat.

- Zelda's elephant seems to be carrying plenty of supplies including building supplies like planks of wood. hmmm...

- One big thing missing from BOTW was a spooky area, this seems to satisfy that and then some!

- Biggest hot take of all... Zelda's cut her hair !!! :heh:

I look forward to the Gamexplain team's two hour long analysis.

Edited by Ronnie

The first ever Zelda game that I have literally no interest in... That makes me really, really sad to say that :( 

Ending the Direct on a complete downer for me :( 

Edited by Dcubed

It all hinges on whether it's open-world.

If it is, this can join Pokemon Let's GO in the "First game I skipped in a series I love"

I got some serious Twilight Princess vibes from that teaser, the colours & sounds were very much like those in the Twilight Realm!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It all hinges on whether it's open-world.

Of course it'll be openworld, just like every other game in the franchise apart from Skyward Sword and the DS ones (commonly considered the three worst games in the series). Sorry I don't want to dampen the mood but Nintendo were almost universally praised for their openworld a couple of years ago.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kav said:

I got some serious Twilight Princess vibes from that teaser, the colours & sounds were very much like those in the Twilight Realm!

Ah, yes, I knew I'd heard those sounds before but couldn't quite place it.  Thought it might have been Metroid (before Link and Zelda appeared), then just assumed the sounds were from Breath of the Wild.

Anyway, it goes without saying that it's too early to tell what the game will be like.  It could be more linear than BOTW, it could be just as open, or it could be the same landscape but with a much stronger plot threaded through it.  I do feel a bit sad that I no longer feel like I did as a 28-year-old looking forward to Twilight Princess - partly because of my age and partly because the Zelda series just doesn't have the same place in my heart since it's not so driven by Miyamoto and Aonuma, but there you go.

48 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Of course it'll be openworld, just like every other game in the franchise apart from Skyward Sword and the DS ones (commonly considered the three worst games in the series). Sorry I don't want to dampen the mood but Nintendo were almost universally praised for their openworld a couple of years ago.

That's bull. Only the original Zelda game and BotW is truly open world.
You know what I mean. Stop trying to belittle my opinion.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

That's bull. Only the original Zelda game and BotW is truly open world.
You know what I mean. Stop trying to belittle my opinion.

A Link to the Past... go anywhere, do dungeons in whatever order you want.

Wind Waker... go anywhere, do dungeons in any order

Majora's Mask... 72 hours, go wherever you want, do whatever you want

A Link Between Worlds... go anywhere, do dungeons in any order

Link's Awakening... go anywhere, do dungeons in any order

And LOZ, and Breath of the Wild, and Zelda II and, and...

Zelda has always been about go anywhere, open exploration, so of course this one will be too.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

A Link to the Past... go anywhere, do dungeons in whatever order you want.

Wind Waker... go anywhere, do dungeons in any order

Majora's Mask... 72 hours, go wherever you want, do whatever you want

A Link Between Worlds... go anywhere, do dungeons in any order

Link's Awakening... go anywhere, do dungeons in any order

And LOZ, and Breath of the Wild, and Zelda II and, and...

Zelda has always been about open exploration.

That's all wrong. There are always at least some restrictions in the dungeon order. Stop lying.

Nowadays, "open world" means a particularly enormous environment, arguably to the point of excess.  Unlike past Zelda games, there is no consideration given to how much optional content is made available to the player in proportion to the mandatory, narrative-driven quest.  There also tends to be an abundance of crafting, cooking and item collection, which is a world away from how the Zelda games traditionally made specific items available to you at certain times, eg. Mirror Shield halfway through one of the later dungeons.

There was always exploration in Zelda, but there was also much more discipline in terms of how it fitted into the main game.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

:indeed:

At least we're agreed it's always been openword.

@Glen-i is correct, those aren't open world games, stop exaggerating to try and make your point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

:indeed:

At least we're agreed it's always been openword.

That's not what I said. At all.

So... BotW2. In my view, it looks like a prequel to BotW but I may be wrong. 

I hope it's a new map and that the story is more prominent. 

I would bet at this being a 2021 game. 

Wasn't surprised but I am ecstatic. Although I'd be more than happy with just BoTW mk.2, I think the glimpse of hyrule there is just evidence of how early this game is in dev, and not in any way indicative of the final game. Can't wait.

3 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I hope it's a new map and that the story is more prominent. 

I would bet at this being a 2021 game. 

That's exactly what I want. BOTW had an amazing world that for me just felt too empty. I want the sequel to have a great story and characters to go with that world. If they can show that then I'll buy it day one, otherwise I don't know if I'll bother again.

5 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

The story in BOTW suggested Link and Zelda had only recently been acquainted, doubt they'd have gone on this big adventure beforehand. Plus you know, they called it a sequel :laughing:

Well I for one am exstafic, the best Zelda is getting a sequel! Looked like they found the source of calamity Ganon - Ganondorf. So I guess set some time after BOTW after the kingdom is being rebuilt? But then prequel also makes sense, would be a good way to reuse the over world but have it be different, unless an underworld will be the new area? I suppose without it being crossgen it might be able to expand somewhat

Edited by Agent Gibbs
Spelling and auto correct mistakes from tablet typing
  • Like 1

We've all met with a terrible fate haven't we?

(Check the video at 0: 37 seconds and 0:45  Seconds)

;)

Aside from the darker tone, which I love, I'm indifferent to the announcement. But that shouldn't be a surprise as I really didn't like BotW :p