NEurope
Julius

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered — Coming 2019 (PS4/Switch/PC)

Yup. The best Final Fantasy game finally arrives. For me, this is up there with PSO2 being announced. :yay:

• Like 1

Why did it have to be September? I'd like to save up some money until mid-October :hmm: Well...we'll see how that goes :D 

• Thanks 1

Gutted it's out in September. There's too many games coming out already without trying to factor in this masterpiece! I'll work it out somehow because I need to be day 1 with this game.

The achievements have been revealed and thankfully there's no wacky ones or level 1 runs needed. It looks pretty straight forward and the ones that do look a little difficult are things I've done before on my previous runs on the original PlayStation version.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I’ll move my posts here now. I did end up buying the Switch version. A rarity for me these days but I figured as I sometimes struggle to stick with jrpgs these days then hopefully being able to split the time between the projector screen and handheld will hopefully help.

Just finished disc 1 and I'm loving it!

The updated character models look great and the x3 speed in this is stupidly useful. It makes gathering magic/drawing so much faster! You can become OP in such a short period of time. The game has always been very broken if you know what to junction and this makes it even easier/more fun. :D 

Triple Triad is still the best mini game I've played in a JRPG. I spent a fair bit of time at the start of the game just trying to win cards like Quistis and the Mini Mog. Once I nabbed a couple of Guardian Forces and their cards my deck was pretty much set for the time being.

• Like 2

FF8 is an amazing game. I'll definitely buy this at some point, I'm actually listening to the FF8 soundtrack a lot lately! PS this is my fave track from the game. :p

I bought the Steam port a few years back, and am a LITTLE frustrated that people like me who bought it already don't get any kind of discount or bonus whatsoever. BUT, at the same time people did work on this new version and deserve to get paid haha.

Also, have to agree about Triple Triad. Great minigame.

Edited by Sckewi
  • Like 2

I’ll carry on with it for now but I just didn’t like the new system they throw at you immediately, choosing the time for some trial but having no explanation on if shorter or longer is the easier option and the generally slow start to the game.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I’ll carry on with it for now but I just didn’t like the new system they throw at you immediately, choosing the time for some trial but having no explanation on if shorter or longer is the easier option and the generally slow start to the game.

They continue to do this further into the game as well. To be fair, you could just select the Auto option and let the game sort out all of the junctioning for you.

We'll see how it goes. I think this just might be one of those times where I'm right in my opinion of the game and everyone who likes it is just not as smart as I am. It happens more than you'd think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

We'll see how it goes. I think this just might be one of those times where I'm right in my opinion of the game and everyone who likes it is just not as smart as I am. It happens more than you'd think.

Wait....you already knew you didn't like the game but bought it anyway? 

33 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Wait....you already knew you didn't like the game but bought it anyway? 

No, I’m talking about the snap judgement I’ve made.

• Haha 1

I can't buy this, not because I don't want to but because it definitely isn't getting a physical release... although if it goes cheap in a sale, then I might go for it.

But I already have the originals and as for FFVIII I have an NTSC copy as well. :D

I still don't know if I like the game or not either... I liked the game when I was shown it over at a friends house back in the day though. (that intro)

It's just when it comes to playing it myself, I just... don't know. ::shrug:

Speaking of the remaster though...

Anyways guys, until next time. ;)

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

This is a great video that has the main people who made the game sit down and tell their stories about the development process and their favourite things about FFVIII. Be warned, there are spoilers in the video.

I've put my playthrough (on Switch) on hold for quite a while.
Now that I'm done with FFVII Remake I've decided that it's time to get back to it.

I've also decided that it's time to fuck the no-leveling thingy. I've done it for 9 hours, managed to breeze through Disc 1 but I dunno...it just doesn't feel right to skip all battles.
I know how the junction system works so enemies scaling (or rather becoming much stronger) probably won't be a huge deal :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I know how the junction system works so enemies scaling (or rather becoming much stronger) probably won't be a huge deal :)

"OK, if I just fight everything like I do in every Final Fantasy so far, I shouldn't run into any major roadblocks"

- Me, before regretting all of my life choices with the final boss.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

"OK, if I just fight everything like I do in every Final Fantasy so far, I shouldn't run into any major roadblocks"

- Me, before regretting all of my life choices with the final boss.

That's why you always draw and keep your junctions up to date :p

Haha, I know this struggle. A long time ago I spent several hours "training" in FF8, thinking "I swear the enemies are getting stronger". Suffice to say by the end of that day I was being OHKO'd by everything, and I got kinda mad at the game and rage quit for several months. After that I learned how it all worked, went back to it and have always enjoyed subsequent playthroughs, but it took me some time to cool down before forgiving FF8 and reaching that point lol. xD

FF6 is kinda similar in a sense, if you level up too much before getting the Espers, you can permanently miss out on stat bonuses that you get only when you have the Espers equipped.

I think both games are great, but I've never liked that aspect of them. Levelling up in an RPG should always be a good thing. Well, maybe with a few exceptions like Master Tonberry's "Everyone's Grudge" attack. xD

Edited by Sckewi

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

That's why you always draw and keep your junctions up to date :p

Yeah, that doesn't help. Not if you fight everything. @Dcubed can attest to me spending hours drawing everything to 100.

Sooner or later, the enemy strength from level scaling will overtake the boost you get from junctioning.

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Not if you fight everything.

I don't remember much from my first playthrough 8 million years ago, but I do remember that the final boss was piss easy. That was before the internet so I didn't even know about the low-level shenanigans. I'm sure I'll be fine :p

Also: I've not leveled up for the entire first disc. This'll help, too.

Edited by drahkon

Just finished the game.

Quite a good Final Fantasy, but probably the weakest I've played so far (not counting FFXIII and FFXV)
The junction system is interesting and it can break the game, which is always a plus in my book. However, the fact that you need to remain on low levels to really appreciate the game breaking shenanigans sucks.

The story...was ok. Characters were a little bland but I liked how...

Spoiler

...time-travel wasn't just tacked on. It makes sense for it to exist and it's done great.

Playing the remastered versions of FFVII, FFVIII and FFIX really showed how slow these games are :D The 3x boost is a godsend.

Edited by drahkon