NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ganepark32

Ghostwire: Tokyo

Another new title announced during Bethesda's E3 Showcase, from Shinji Mikami and Tango Gameworks.

It's an action adcenture game set in Tokyo where, after people start disappearing, you have to uncover the source of and purge the city of whatever is causing these disappearances to happen.

The main character looked like a ninja and was armed with a bow but he also used some ability at the end of the trailer so it looks like it'll incorporate elements of the occult again, much as The Evil Within did.

As with Deathloop, there's not a whole lot to go on yet as it was just a teaser but it definitely looked interesting. I do wonder if like that game, this will also end up being cross gen (wasn't the first Evil Within cross gen as well, I'm sure it was) but guess we might see and hear more at TGS, if Bethesda/Tango Gameworks showcase there.

• Like 1

Yeah I missed all that stuff live, so I had to catch up in the last few hours. This is one the things that interests me (since I enjoyed Evil Within), but again it's another trailer which is pretty much useless.

Best thing about this announcement was Ikumi Nakamura, she was great and has a pretty impressive CV. Interested to see how this game works out under her direction.

Looks and sounds awesome. Going on the watch list. There's were some subtle visual flourishes going on then that I really enjoyed. Hopefully the standard of graphics don't drop too significantly in normal gameplay.

I wish they had given us some idea of what exactly the gameplay entails, but this looks very interesting.Will definitely keep tabs on this one.

PS5 event trailer: 

Tokyo is overrun by deadly supernatural forces after 99% of the city's population vanished. Use a powerful arsenal of spectral abilities to fight the paranormal threat and unravel the mystery behind the mass disappearance.
 FACE THE UNKNOWN, discover the truth and save the city whenGhostWire: Tokyo arrives in 2021, exclusively on PlayStation 5.

Timed exclusive seems to be what's being thrown around. Very surprised honestly that it's first-person. Still, it's set in Tokyo, and I love the look of what's going on.

I'm intrigued. 

Looks like a Showcase for this game might be announced at the end of today's Gran Turismo 7 State of Play for tomorrow, at the same time (22:00 GMT).

The description for the video also seems to confirm the game's release date as 25th March, which was seen floating around in some screenshots of the PlayStation Store a few weeks ago. 

Premiere link:

FACE THE UNKNOWN IN GHOSTWIRE: TOKYO, LAUNCHING MARCH 25, 2022 ON PLAYSTATION® 5 - PRE-ORDER TODAY FOR BONUS CONTENT

In an instant, nearly all of Tokyo's population vanishes and paranormal Visitors from another world take their place in the streets. As Akito, one of the city's last living humans, you must join forces with a spirit named KK to put an end to the supernatural threat encroaching on Tokyo.

UPDATE: comunicado oficial

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Just caught up on the showcase, and in the nicest way possible...this game looks like it would be best experienced if it could be played in VR. It just has that look and feel to it, and some crazy good hand animations to boot, which probably helps. Kind of looks like a first-person Naruto. 

The showcase itself was okay, but it didn't really do a great job of selling me on a gameplay loop or hooking me -- as they said in the showcase, this was their first showing of extended gameplay footage, so I imagine that's probably part of why I feel that way, and it's a little crazy to me that they haven't announced a release date until some 6 or 7 weeks before launch with a not-so-great first look at extended gameplay. Also thought it was sequenced really weirdly, it felt like they were wrapping up after the extended gameplay footage and showing off the Deluxe Edition, but then went into a developer Q&A? Oh, and by the way, a Deluxe Edition which gives three days of early access for a game with a release date announced 6 or 7 weeks out from launch? Not exactly a great way to instill me with confidence, because it looks like a very obvious money grab. 

Enemy designs look like realistic incarnations of SMT/Persona monsters, which is cool as heck, and Tokyo looks cool, but it just doesn't blow me away after seeing very similar streets and locales in Ryu Ga Gotoku's games. A first-person game where cutscenes show your character in third-person always kind of bug me too, and even more so when they look as generic as this. Guy looks like he walked off the streets of The Division. 

Overall, I went in not thinking that I'd be buying this game if it came in March - have you seen the next eight weeks of releases? - and I came away thinking that even with attention-grabbing high review scores at launch, at best I'd probably still end up waiting for it to be on a steep sale around Black Friday, as it just doesn't scream out to me as something I need to play over any of the other games coming out right now. I could maybe even wait until whenever it eventually comes to Game Pass once I get a Series X. 

Shame. That cut into the ramen bowl in the first trailer and the tone that trailer set just put the bar far too high! 

Edited by Julius

Sign in to follow this