NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ganepark32

Deathloop

Announced during Bethesda's E3 Showcase and it's being developed by Arkane Lyon (the studio behind Dishonored).

Bethesda are saying it's a first person action game, so very much in keeping with Dishonored, and sees you playing on the island of Blackreef as one of two assassin's locked in an eternal struggle to kill one another. I presume you'll get to pick which character to play as, ala Dishonored 2, and there will be differences in story beats and objectives based on who you pick as well as character based differences, which were seen in the trailer in terms of the powers used.

While there isn't a huge amount to go on, I would expect open levels with a main objective and multiple side objectives to do as you please with the option to play as you want to get through the levels/missions. What I'd love to see them do is have the secondary assassin that you don't pick take on a Nemesis/Mr. X role and hound you through the game, keeping you in the loop.

It's certainly piqued my interest as I've loved Arkane's precious work so I'm very interested to see and learn more. I would wager, though, that this might end up being a next gen title or a cross gen one if it launches late into next year. Still, one to keep an eye on.

Trailer from the PS5 event: 

As @Map shared in the PS5 thread, looks like this might be a times exclusive, which would be interesting to say the least. Bigger fan of the art style in the transitions than of that found in the game itself, and obviously being Arkane seems very Dishonored-like. 

Haven't checked out any of those games yet, and though I'm curious about the "death loop" mechanic, can't say I've seen anything which would get me to commit to picking this up just yet. 

• Thanks 1

Sadly, this has been delayed out of the Holiday 2020 window to Q2 2021.

Understandable but still a shame as it was one of the games I was most looking forward to for the PS5 launch period. With how everything is going in France, Arkane Lyon having more time so that their staff aren't crunching and can stay safe is definitely the right call. I'll still be there when it launches as I'm a big fan of Arkane's work.

I also suspect this will only be one of several holiday 2020 titles that we see slip in the coming weeks and months, especially with Halo Infinite slipping as well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Damn that sucks... game looks really fun too.

Guess that means that Miles Morales will be the only PS5 exclusive game available for launch then.  Better than the Series X's literal nothing, but not exactly great.

21 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Guess that means that Miles Morales will be the only PS5 exclusive game available for launch then.  Better than the Series X's literal nothing, but not exactly great.

Yep, things as they are the launch lineups aren't great, wouldn't surprise me if another game was announced as being for that launch month, but it's honestly enough to tide me over for now when considering what else is coming. Between Miles Morales, a couple of hours of fun with Astro's Playroom, Kena, and Cyberpunk 2077, as well as a bunch of PS4 games I'll gladly return to or play for the first time on PS5, the glass is half full for me. 

Sucks with Deathloop being delayed though. I haven't been grabbed by the look of many Bethesda published games before, and this was certainly one of them, but hopefully this delay might give it a bit more space for success not surrounded by the barrage of winter releases, where I feel like it might have slipped under the radar for many.

But I'll never be mad at anyone for delaying games at a time like this, the well-being of others should always come first before any product. Good on them, wish them a smooth development :peace:

Posting the gameplay trailer from last night's showcase:

It looks fantastic. The speed and the style of the gameplay is right up my street. Love how you're able to manipulate things somewhat to bring targets together in the world, could make for some interesting gameplay moments. Arkane haven't put a foot wrong this generation and this seems to be a continuation and amalgamation of their work so I'm all for it. Excited to play it when it comes out next year.

Thought it would be around May so very happy to see it confirmed. Late birthday present for me.

Excited to play and nice to hear that at least in the US, its going to be $60. Hope that translates to £50 here, though I'll be honest, as a fan of Arkane I'd happily pay whatever they're asking for it as the game looks great.

Sadly, this has been delayed from its May 21st release date to the new date of September 14th:

Gutted that it won't make its release, especially as it was only a couple of weeks away. But if they need to make sure the game is done to the quality that we've come to expect of Arkane and that they need to make sure the staff are well and healthy, then I'll happily wait. I'll still be there day and date at release regardless of when it releases as its Arkane and they've not put a step wrong.

Does mean that what was looking like a ridiculous month of releases that would hit my wallet hard has eased slightly. Still Mass Effect Trilogy: Legendary Edition, Subnautica Below Zero, RE Village and Biomutant (I'd forgotten this had a launch date of May 25th, after all these years its finally coming) to look forward to.

Hands-off previews have gone up:

Edited by Julius

Did anyone end up getting Deathloop? It’s discounted at the moment so I’m tempted to pick it up. I heard a lot of good things when it came out but not anything yet just from us regular folk playing it.

Not bought it yet, but it's on my list. I didn't really think I'd get it, but after seeing most of the reviewers give it 9s and 10s, that made me curious. Looks pretty good. Is the discount on Steam?

5 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Not bought it yet, but it's on my list. I didn't really think I'd get it, but after seeing most of the reviewers give it 9s and 10s, that made me curious. Looks pretty good. Is the discount on Steam?

It’s £30 something on Steam but you can get it from CDKeys for £22.99 at the moment.

• Thanks 1

Got this in the Black Friday sale. It takes a while to get into, but it's a lot of fun once you've done a few loops. It reminds me of Bioshock, but with a Majora's Mask like time loop.

Got the PS5 version for Christmas and finally got the time to play :D 

The tutorial went on for quite a while but I think now the game opened up and there's so much potential to fuck around already. Can't wait to unlock some abilities and go nuts :laughing:

(If anyone got the PS5 version, too, and would be up for boosting the two multiplayer trophies gimme a shout :p)

• Like 1

I finished it a couple of days ago. I enjoyed it overall, especially the bits where you go after the Visionaries. I don't think I'll be too bothered if there is a Xbox exclusive sequel though.

One thing to watch out for is an extremely frustrating bug which locks you into the menu. I encountered it a few times, the circle button becomes disabled and you are just stuck there until you restart the game. It happened when I had taken out all the Visionaries and was on the last bit. :blank:

Spoiler

I never finished the Devouring of the Lambs bit properly, every time I tried sneaking through either someone spotted me or I fell down trying to jump through the small gap. 

I might go back just to see if I can watch Frank blowing himself up, it usually happens a few minutes into the level. 

The rare trinkets seemed way too common, by the end I was deleting countless duplicates.

Not quite sure what happened there. :laughing:

• Like 1

Killed a few Visionaries, unlocked a few powers and thankfully there's a way to keep items between loops. That was the one thing that worried me at the start.

So far so good. Have a lot of fun just exploring and killing Visionaries without using any of the information you can find.
The game is very easy, though. Hope it'll change but given that I have a suppressed weapon and can make myself invisible I very much doubt it...

Sign in to follow this