Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Xbox Project Scarlett — Coming Holiday 2020

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I guess -- now that we have a release window and official hype video filled with buzzwords from Microsoft execs -- it's time to make a thread for Project Scarlett Johansson

 

Edited by Julius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes the idea of Project Scarlett more appealing to me, if it's just going to be focused on being 'the best of Xbox' but the question is... is that even enough any more?

I've barely played my Xbox One since owning it, PSO2 will be its last saving grace for me, so the idea of buying another Xbox is not the most enthralling idea.

All of it comes down to the exclusive games though but I think it's too early to tell right now how the next generation is going to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

VR not a focus for Project Scarlett

I wonder if lack of VR will hurt them in the long run? It almost seems like the reverse of Xbox One, where they're just focusing on the core experience and ditching anything remotely gimmicky.

I can't see it hurting them. VR is still a niche product with certain barriers to entry. They need to let the Scarlett software do the talking and then worry about the extra bits and bobs.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, S.C.G said:

It makes the idea of Project Scarlett more appealing to me, if it's just going to be focused on being 'the best of Xbox' but the question is... is that even enough any more?

I've barely played my Xbox One since owning it, PSO2 will be its last saving grace for me, so the idea of buying another Xbox is not the most enthralling idea.

Thing is, PSO2 isn't even exclusive. It's supposed to be coming to other platforms as well. That's if it even makes it over here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Thing is, PSO2 isn't even exclusive. It's supposed to be coming to other platforms as well. That's if it even makes it over here...

True but if it did come out and if it was coming to Xbox One first then I'd be there, if not though... then that's one less reason to switch on my Xbox One.

Also, if PSO2 doesn't make it out over here then that's just the final slap in the face and nail in the coffin... it makes me even more thankful that I can still play PSO at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

True but if it did come out and if it was coming to Xbox One first then I'd be there, if not though... then that's one less reason to switch on my Xbox One.

Also, if PSO2 doesn't make it out over here then that's just the final slap in the face and nail in the coffin... it makes me even more thankful that I can still play PSO at least.

Once the initial excitement wore off, the announcement turned quite sour. Mixed messaging about the platforms it was heading to, no firm answer about if it's being released in Europe and then complete silence since it's announcement. It hasn't been handled well at all. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I can't see it hurting them. VR is still a niche product with certain barriers to entry. They need to let the Scarlett software do the talking and then worry about the extra bits and bobs.

Console VR is a bit less niche though isn't it? I was under the impression PSVR did very well for Sony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Black Friday deal to get the digital only Xbox One for £109 is kinda tempting, it'll probably only e used for PSO2, but them going quiet makes it hard to justify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Console VR is a bit less niche though isn't it? I was under the impression PSVR did very well for Sony.

It depends how you look at it. I mean they've sold over 100 million PS4 consoles but only a small fraction of users have picked up the PSVR. At the same time, I think it's the best selling VR headset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ike said:

That Black Friday deal to get the digital only Xbox One for £109 is kinda tempting, it'll probably only e used for PSO2, but them going quiet makes it hard to justify.

Where is it £109?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Where is it £109?! 

I think both Tesco and Lidl are selling them dirt cheap on Black Friday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Where is it £109?! 

Tesco, instore Friday. Amazon Spain & Italy are doing it for a little more apparently.

 

@Aneres11 Edit: I meant Friday, thought it was Thursday today for some reason.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ike said:

Tesco, instore tomorrow. Amazon Spain & Italy are doing it for a little more apparently.

Yeah, in both Spain and Germany a couple of outlets have completely slashed the price of the thing and sent the sales skyrocketing. I think it's €99 or something silly like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ike said:

Tesco, instore Friday. Amazon Spain & Italy are doing it for a little more apparently.

 

@Aneres11 Edit: I meant Friday, thought it was Thursday today for some reason.

I've literally thought it was Thursday all day too!! 

But that's because I normally don't work Wednesday and I have today! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 million PSVRs sold in just over 3 years, I can see why Xbox aren't particularly fussed. Plus their messaging is all about streaming + Game Pass + exclusives atm so it makes sense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, in both Spain and Germany a couple of outlets have completely slashed the price of the thing and sent the sales skyrocketing. I think it's €99 or something silly like that.

Can confirm. I saw a couple of Ones for 99 bucks when I bought Borderlands 3.

But even at that price I wouldn't touch it with a stick :p 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if MS will try to include voice commands again. They were obviously interested in it with various Kinects and we've hit a point now where the technology is actually reliable with Alexa etc. Feels like they were just a few years early with their own tech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I hope not, and if they do I hope there's an option to either turn it off or not have it... I suspect it will be in there though, just like it's in every Windows 10 laptop. :indeed:

I get that these things are in everything now, it's something I really dislike and would just as easily type something in than have something listening in just in case I need it.

It would be nice if they gave their consumers a choice, just an optional small microphone which you could either choose to use or not, if it was in the actual console are at the same proximity as a Kinect then I could see that being a problem... in a lot of setups Xbox Scarlett owners would probably have their console quite far away from them, especially if it's in the living room so a separate mic would probably be the best option if they were to do it.

I'm a bit concerned that Sony might go the same route with the PS5 but we'll just have to wait and see, it's always nice to have options though. :smile:

It's not really that they shouldn't include it for anyone who wants or might need it, it's just that I really feel that it should be optional where possible but still accessible if it's required, we're getting into the realms of so many different things being added into next-gen consoles that it's defintiely worth asking the question of what is actually needed.

Edited by S.C.G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this