NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Elden Ring (25th February 2022)

So yeah, I guess it's official now.

Edited by Julius

Would have been a bonkers announcement if it hadn't leaked beforehand, Microsoft even treated it like it was still a megaton by placing it right at the end. As it is it didn't feel like it made much of an impact, would have loved some gameplay but it seems like this is a way off release.

Phil Spencer has played Elden Ring.

When asked how much of Elden Ring he had seen, Spencer told GameSpot's Tamoor Hussain, "I've seen actually quite a bit. I've played quite a bit."

While Spencer can't say too much, he gave us enough to set the hype high. "As somebody who's played all of Miyazaki's games over at least the last decade, this is clearly the most ambitious game that he's done," he says. "I mean, I love his games, but seeing some of the gameplay mechanics stuff that he's tackling, he and the team are tackling this time, of the setting, working with another creator in terms of story. I love it."

Looks like we'll be getting an update on this soon. 

Jeff Grubb on the GB Decides podcast had this to say: 

After saying that he is much more "sure" about Elden Ring than Starfield, the industry expert explained that he had some new informations, coming from "a combination of sources". He stated that:

"They [the sources] gave me confidence that Elden Ring would be by the end of March."

He then explained that nothing was changed there but at the same time it was never cemented or sure 100%. He followed with:

"I've said this repeatedly [...] I've never had an exact date, I've had some reasons to be confident That's kind of how I try to phrase it and I know that it leaves gaps and people sort of fil those gaps and they think there is more behind that."

This is what he said shortly after:

"I know enough to be confident, but if it were to slip into April I would apologize [...] but I will continue to say you are not gonna wait long."

He that asked his friend Mike what he thinks about it. Mike claimed that Jeff shared some infos with him and he's pretty confidend too to see more about Elden Ring by the end of the next month:

"From what was shared with me I would think 'soon'. But again, who knows, it's the Game Industry... [...] Maybe it slips into April, maybe in some weird and bizzarre world it goes to E3, I feel thare's absolutely no way we get past E3 without seeing this."

Jeff Grubb replied saying:

"I'm 100% with you on that"

And Jason Schreier has just jumped onboard too: 

So...Soon™.

4 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

I’ll take anything, no matter how minuscule.

Even if the announcement is that the game is cancelled? :p 

56 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Even if the announcement is that the game is cancelled? :p 

Don’t even tease

VGC are reporting that they've seen the leaked footage of the Elden Ring trailer floating around. 

The video, which has been seen by VGC but cannot be shared for legal reasons, is labelled as ‘Bandai Namco confidential’ and shows a significant amount of off-screen footage, from what appears to be a planned gameplay trailer for the From Software title.

The video leak represents the first significant update on Elden Ring since it was announced in June 2019, and the first time anyone has seen gameplay outside of its publisher or developer.

Since the off-screen clip seen by VGC seemingly only shows a portion of the trailer, there is no release date mentioned. However, we understand Elden Ring has already been delayed several times internally due to disruption caused by the pandemic.

People with knowledge of the game’s development told VGC that production has been significantly hampered by remote working restrictions, which have been in place for nearly a year. One person close to the game’s development said that, due to the disruption, they believed it was unlikely Elden Ring would make it out this year.

I've popped their description of the footage in the spoiler tag below:

Spoiler

“I can only imagine what drives you to seek the Elden Ring,” a narrator says in the trailer. “I suppose you can’t be talked into turning back. Very well then!”

The gameplay footage then shows a montage of familiar Souls-style melee combat, boss battles against a fire-breathing dragon and a large, sword-wielding foe, and a glimpse at horseback combat in a large, open environment.

The trailer calls Elden Ring “an all-new fantasy action RPG franchise from the creators of Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro”.

Exciting stuff. Surely we'll see something soon? 

Description in the spoiler is all a little safe. You ask me to describe what's in the trailer and I'd probably make the same guess. Doesn't mean its not true of course.

18 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I'll believe it when I see it :p

Fair :p

7 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Description in the spoiler is all a little safe. You ask me to describe what's in the trailer and I'd probably make the same guess. Doesn't mean its not true of course.

Also fair!

I thought I'd stick it in a spoiler tag just in case anyone would rather wait until the trailer releases, regardless of if the apparent leak is true or not, but I did read it thinking that other than that one thing, it could even describe Demon's Souls ::shrug:

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I really like the video's quality.

It's from the Switch version of the game.

• Haha 3

Well I guess we'll know whether it's real soon enough. If its real then it doesn't seem like much of a departure from Dark Souls at all.

17 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Well I guess we'll know whether it's real soon enough. If its real then it doesn't seem like much of a departure from Dark Souls at all.

If true, I don't think that would be a bad thing. I loved Seikro to bits but the game alienated a lot of fans due to it playing completely differently to Darl Souls. A game that returns to the Souls type combat would certainly please many of the fanbase.

41 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Leaked footage.

Would have to imagine that other than the recording of the footage itself, there's the potential that the trailer itself could be an older trailer, COVID and event delays/cancellations considered. 

That being said, I still think it's intriguing, especially the idea of a From game in an open world and riding around/fighting on horseback. 

Oh and that shot of the steep and wide stairway into the archway gives me major 4-1 vibes from Demon's Souls, and reminds me of just how much I hated that black skeleton :laughing:

28 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

I still have every intention of playing Dark Souls next, but I think it makes a lot of sense from a marketing perspective, as getting into a trilogy (especially one of the length and relative difficult of the Souls games) can be a tough thing to sell people on. 

Open world (to be fair I think this is a tough think to convey in trailers a lot of the times anyway, especially depending on your world's topography) + Dark Souls spiritual successor (in that it's returning to a medieval kind of vibe) + the potential for some kind of kingdom/Nemesis system from the little we've heard and seen about the lore from the first trailer and press release, obviously the pull of GRRM sticking his name on this, etc., I think it's going to be interesting to see how it all comes together in the end. 

All four clips in one video which will undoubtedly be taken down:

That door opening animation seals it for me :laughing:

Open world Dark Souls then. No complaints from me, but that’s so close I do wonder if it’s set in the same world.

Just how the devs wanted their work to be shown off for the first time, blurry off screen footage. :indeed:

Me: I don't know if I'm ready for another Miyazaki game

*sees door opening screenshot, which is clearly going to be a shortcut*

Me: F*CK YES

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One of the things I have always loved about the Souls games is light touch approach to narrative, and the sometime opaque lore. Very rarely are you just told what is going on and where to go. Thats been workable up till now because the level design has been fairly linear, but I wonder if that will survive in an open world structure. Will there have to be a little more handholding in terms of overt, metascripted direction, or they just going to leave us to figure out where to go, 

In recent weeks there were whispers of Kadokawa (the parent company of From Software) putting out an end of year report with high expectations under gaming for the fiscal year ending March 2022, leading some to believe that the game would be released within the next 12 months.

Well, that now seems to have changed, as their end of year report has been published with substantially lower expected profits for FY2022 compared with FY2021 under gaming, even providing their reasoning for doing so: 

79086_53_elden-ring-may-be-delayed-furth

79086_43_elden-ring-may-be-delayed-furth

Unsurprisingly, the impacts of COVID and transitioning to working from home seems to have continued impacts on the game's development. Though it could still release within the next 12 months, that there's enough uncertainty that it's not being accounted for in their profits forecasts makes it very unlikely, so going off of this we're probably looking at April 2022 onwards for release. 

I've only been around here for the release of Sekiro from announcement to release, but I was under the impression that From had a surprisingly quick turnaround time for games based on how quickly that game went from being teased at The Game Awards to release, and looking at their earlier games, it looks like they came out at a decent clip. I know this is likely their most ambitious game given that it's open world, but it's crazy to think that it will have already been two years next month since it's official announcement at E3 2019, and there had been a lot of rumours and supposed leaks floating about before then too. 

I've got five other From Software games to keep me occupied until (and probably beyond) whenever this releases, so selfishly I'm in the camp of letting it cook as long as it needs, though I do imagine fans of From Software games would agree with that sentiment too.

On 02/03/2021 at 5:15 PM, LazyBoy said:

One of the things I have always loved about the Souls games is light touch approach to narrative, and the sometime opaque lore. Very rarely are you just told what is going on and where to go. Thats been workable up till now because the level design has been fairly linear, but I wonder if that will survive in an open world structure. Will there have to be a little more handholding in terms of overt, metascripted direction, or they just going to leave us to figure out where to go, 

Genuine question having only played Demon's Souls: do any of the other From games have a map? Because this game being open world, it would pretty much have to have a map, right? Which is really weird to think about. 

Of course I can only speak to Demon's Souls, but I know what you mean about the light narrative direction, it's really clear just how much Ueda's works inspired Miyazaki. I'm imagining a largely Shadow of the Colossus-like open world which is virtually empty, save for skirmishes as you get closer to settlements, which would be more intricately designed in line with From's other games. I guess I'm kind of also imagining Hyrule Field from Ocarina of Time? Secrets in the open world of course (hidden dungeons, stuff behind waterfalls, caves, etc.), would be really interesting if there were a Nemesis-like system between settlements, and a massive, SotC-like boss in the open world would be cool too. 

Sign in to follow this