Tales of Arise (9th September 2021)

This game looks so damn beautiful.

Edited by Julius

38 minutes ago, Julius said:

This game looks so damn beautiful. 

I'll take your word for it.

Delayed due to CV19.

Official statement from Bandai Namco:

The goal for Tales of Arise is to provide a familiar but innovative gameplay experience to fans of the series, while pushing the technical envelope to deliver a high level of graphical quality to impress both long-time players and those who have never played a Tales Of game. Development on the title has moved steadily forward in 2020 as we overcame challenges along the way.

While COVID-19 has affected some aspects of development, we’ve done our best to adapt to the situation and have implemented remote development capabilities for our team.

However, we will need more time to achieve the quality and provide the gorgeous experience we envision for our players, and therefore we decided to delay the launch timing for Tales of Arise.

A new launch window update will be provided once we have more details to share.

Not too much of a surprise there. 

Posted (edited)

It's alive!!!

It's now celshaded! First actual celshaded Tales game since Vesperia.  Looks like it has gone through some significant artistic overhauls in the TWO WHOLE WHOPPING YEARS since we last saw it...

This trailer is a bit of a nothingburger in terms of gameplay content, but hey! It exists!

Also...

YGozn6P.png

Incredibly enough, it is NOT a crossgen title it seems; but rather it's still a PS4/Xbone title! Genuinely surprised by that!

Let's all hope that this is finally the return to form that the Tales series so desperately needs.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Well it’s looking good so far, I like the cellshading.

Maybe it's that I'm older now but that trailer looked a bit generic JRPG fantasy. Like, typical Tales fare, the kind of story you'll probably forget soon after it's finished. That voice acting was also very am dram (particularly the narrator).

To be honest, only Tales of Symphonia ever hit home for me, and that's possibly because of the timing of when it came out (when I was a teenager, and there weren't many games filling this niche on the Gamecube when it landed in UK).

I've even played a lot of them - some absolute stinkers (like Tales of Legendia) and some that are generally well regarded that I thought were not really that good (Abyss and Vesperia - although Vesperia was very recent and really showed its age in terms of QoL issues).

I'll wait to see more but I have a feeling that they'll never properly step up their game with the Tales series in terms of plot, characters, and voice acting; it feels destined to keep its very "B movie" RPG feel.

• Thanks 1

On 06/03/2021 at 12:51 PM, Dcubed said:

Let's all hope that this is finally the return to form that the Tales series so desperately needs.

81TILUU+v-L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Done! :p 

• Like 2
  • Weird 1

On 06/03/2021 at 7:17 PM, Sheikah said:

Maybe it's that I'm older now but that trailer looked a bit generic JRPG fantasy. Like, typical Tales fare, the kind of story you'll probably forget soon after it's finished. That voice acting was also very am dram (particularly the narrator).

To be honest, only Tales of Symphonia ever hit home for me, and that's possibly because of the timing of when it came out (when I was a teenager, and there weren't many games filling this niche on the Gamecube when it landed in UK).

I've even played a lot of them - some absolute stinkers (like Tales of Legendia) and some that are generally well regarded that I thought were not really that good (Abyss and Vesperia - although Vesperia was very recent and really showed its age in terms of QoL issues).

I'll wait to see more but I have a feeling that they'll never properly step up their game with the Tales series in terms of plot, characters, and voice acting; it feels destined to keep its very "B movie" RPG feel.

Agreed about Symphonia - it's the only one that really impressed me and got me hooked, despite the cliches. The 60 FPS gameplay certainly helped, but I think it did some cool things with the plot and world building too. I did buy the Vesperia remaster but it was just too slow paced for my liking. I had to stop playing about 15 hours in.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Tales be arising 9th September 2021. 

A win for anime. Looking forward to my first Tales game! 

7 minute gameplay trailer:

Also coming to next-gen, with 4K and 60fps prioritisation modes and DualSense support:

Until now, the supported hardware was PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC (Steam), but with this announcement, it has become clear that it will also be compatible with PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X❘S. In this article, we will deliver an interview with Yusuke Tomizawa, the producer of "Tales of Arise". He talked in detail about the current development status, the outlook until the release date, the characters and systems announced this time, and so on.

--The PlayStation 5 controller "DualSense" has "haptic feedback" as a unique feature. Does it support it?

Tomizawa: Yes, we do. I would like to convey different vibrations to the player depending on the attack and action. For example, even if it's just one magic, it will feel different between electric shock and fire. I am trying to make you feel the reaction in more detail.

And ufotable (Demon Slayer!) producing the anime sequences. Think they worked on some before, but I had no idea.

Yep, this just got bumped up the pecking order a fair bit...

Edited by Julius
  • Like 4

A month before my Birthday, but I cannot wait for this.

There going to be a couple editions of the game.
The Collectors Edition (Already Sold out by the way):
toa-97_000-bs-uk-1619077106-a4d78.png

• Tales of Arise full game
  • An exclusive 18cm diorama representing Alphen and Shionne
  • 64-page Artbook
  • Steelbook®
  • Physical and digital original soundtrack including 14 tracks
  • Digital contents:
  • Premium Travel Pack
  • Artifacts, items
  • Adventurer's Pack
  • Premium Item Pack
  • Artifacts, items, food, gald
  • Premium Costume Pack
  • 8 Costumes and 6 Accessories
  • Collaboration Costume Pack: 3 costumes
  • School Life Packs: 6 costumes
  • Beach Time Packs: 6 costumes
  • Warring States Packs: 6 costumes

The Hootle Edition:
TALES OF ARISE - Hootle Edition [PS5]

The Hootle Edition has been inspired by the cute mascot of Tales of Arise! Hootle is a sweet white owl and also Rinwell's best friend!
Fall in love with the charming bird and get closer to Tales of Arise's main characters: Alphen, Shionne, Law & Rinwell.
The Hootle Edition includes:

• Tales of Arise full game
  • An exclusive & Customisable Hootle Plush (15 cm) & 4 accessories
  • 64-page Artbook
  • Hootle Metalcase
  • Set of Character stickers
  • 3 Artprints 
  • Physical and digital original soundtrack including 14 tracks 
  • Digital content: 8 accessories representing different versions of Hootle

• Like 3

Developer message:

Had no idea it was the 25th anniversary of the series, there are so many of them this year! 

Sign in to follow this