NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (5th April 2022)

Yes! How long I've waited!

Also, does mean that we're just back to the grunts and miming from the original LEGO Star Wars games? Never been the biggest fan of the VO (especially that pulled directly from the film), and the omission of that is 100% what I've been asking for!

Edited by Julius

Pushed back to Spring 2021 (originally 20th October 2020) :(

Using the music from the last trailer for Episode IX took this to a whole other level of anticipation for me :bouncy:

Still would've been cool with a version filled with mumbling, but I'll take it! Just looks so much fun, and like it's been made with so much love. 

Edited by Julius

Loved the Ep IX music too, hype as fuck. Shame it's been pushed back though.

Trailer looked great, I'd be keen to see actual gameplay rather than in-game cinematics. Have to say the visuals looked a little rough.

If there's nine films, and the game is say 40 hours that's about four and a half hours per film, sounds about right.

Was hoping they would get at least sequel trilogy voice acting (like LEGO The Force Awakens did I believe?) but Rey sounds a little off here so I don't think they did.

Edited by Ronnie

Deluxe Edition...

Neat. Not sure if I'll bite this time like I did with TFA, though. 

UPDATE: a better look at it.

a33dvxms1nj51.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Blue Milk Luke!

Edited by Julius

That box is very cool, almost makes me want to buy a physical version of the game. Definitely like what I’m seeing with this, will pick it up when it launches.

3 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Urgh....voice acting 

As someone who grew up on the early LEGO Star Wars games and adores how they're timeless treasures which breaks down a major barrier for all people playing (regardless of age or language comprehension), I always think that's the best way to go. 

But the second best in my opinion is not using the original voices like they did with LEGO TFA, as @Ronnie mentioned (you're right by the way Ronnie, and I remember them making a huge deal out of it at the time), where they lifted most of the lines straight from the film, re-recorded a few, and only added a couple here and there. It's honestly kind of lazy in my opinion and doesn't leave much room for playfulness and comedy, which is what these games are all about. I remember it's why I never picked up the LEGO Avengers game, because it received similar treatment. 

Here we have Sam Witwer as Palpatine, and what mostly sounds like a returning cast from The Clone Wars (Matt Lanter as Anakin, James Arnold Taylor as Obi-Wan, Cat Taber as Padmé, Tom Kane as Qui-Gon and Yoda, etc.). I'm not sure about Rey - that could be Daisy, but it's hard to tell here I think, and if it is her I'm confident there'll be more original lines here than in TFA, so it works either way - or Han, but that kind of sounds like Matt Mercer as original trilogy Luke to me (I think he portrayed him in Battlefront II if I recall correctly?). Curious if they dropped Mark Hamill a line for older Luke...

I think it's the next best thing. Honestly, with everything going on right now in the world (I mean, even without it, to be honest), I'd much rather this be voiced than not. As much as I love the grunts and sighs of the earlier LEGO games, this seems to be shaping up to be a voice cast Star Wars fans are very familiar with, and they deserve all of the work they can get. Hopefully they have a lot of fun with it like they did for some of the background voice work in the films! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Solid debating there.

2 hours ago, Julius said:

As someone who grew up on the early LEGO Star Wars games and adores how they're timeless treasures which breaks down a major barrier for all people playing (regardless of age or language comprehension), I always think that's the best way to go. 

But the second best in my opinion is not using the original voices like they did with LEGO TFA, as @Ronnie mentioned (you're right by the way Ronnie, and I remember them making a huge deal out of it at the time), where they lifted most of the lines straight from the film, re-recorded a few, and only added a couple here and there. It's honestly kind of lazy in my opinion and doesn't leave much room for playfulness and comedy, which is what these games are all about. I remember it's why I never picked up the LEGI Avengers game, because it received similar treatment. 

Here we have Sam Witwer as Palpatine, and what mostly sounds like a returning cast from The Clone Wars (Matt Lanter as Anakin, James Arnold Taylor as Obi-Wan, Cat Taber as Padmé, Tom Kane as Qui-Gon and Yoda, etc.). I'm not sure about Rey - that could be Daisy, but it's hard to tell here I think, and if it is her I'm confident there'll be more original lines here than in TFA, so it works either way - or Han, but that kind of sounds like Matt Mercer as original trilogy Luke to me (I think he portrayed him in Battlefront II if I recall correctly?). Curious if they dropped Mark Hamill a line for older Luke...

I think it's the next best thing. Honestly, with everything going on right now in the world (I mean, even without it, to be honest), I'd much rather this be voiced than not. As much as I love the grunts and sighs of the earlier LEGO games, this seems to be shaping up to be a voice cast Star Wars fans are very familiar with, and they deserve all of the work they can get. Hopefully they have a lot of fun with it like they did for some of the background voice work in the films! 

I don't remember LEGO TFA being particularly lacking in original dialog but your memory is probably better than mind. I definitely remember loving the voice acting there because it made the game feel more legitimate. 

If you look on the IMDB page for this game it sheds a bit of light, if the info can be trusted. What's weird is when I looked a few days ago the ones that stood out were Mark Hamill, Billy Dee Williams, John Boyega, Anthony Daniels (obviously) and Gwendoline Christie. Now, all of those except Billy Dee and Daniels aren't listed, but Daisy Ridley is. So yeah, pinch of salt I think.

Anyway I think IGN suggested there might be a mode to turn off voice acting, so everybody wins. Not confirmed but it was hinted at a while back. But yeah I much prefer voice acting to not. Han sounds EXACTLY like the original in that short clip from the traier.

Edited by Ronnie

I think it's fair to say John Boyega is done with the franchise. 

Unless they do use audio from the films but then that would suggest no original content. 

Finally, a release date (and gameplay overview) appears: 5th April 2022! 

The galaxy is yours with LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga! Play through all nine saga films in a brand-new video game unlike any other. With over 300 playable characters, over 100 vehicles, and 23 planets to explore, the galaxy has never been more fun!

Starting with whichever trilogy you want is such a smart and inclusive move. Looks stupidly fantastic, though I'm not super keen on the tight over-the-shoulder perspective. That Galaxy Map is huge! Love how it clearly builds on some of the ideas from The Force Awakens and The Clone Wars game, just dialling it all to eleven.

This looks well worth the wait! 

AND OH MY GOD THERE'S A MUMBLE MODE!!! :bouncy:

Edited by Julius

Developer diary from IGN Game Fest:

Pew pew pew pew :D

This is going to be so much fun! 

Edited by Julius

Really looking forward to it. Getting to run around so many diffferent planets and do all the activities and story missions, can't wait.

Previews are up and it looks glorious :D

Really excited for this. I'm caught between wanting to play it on release, or waiting until Star Wars Celebration and just having a Star Wars filled week. 

Decisions, decisions...

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Looks like the previews are very positive. The game definitely seems massively ambitious, with all the unlockable skills for the various classes and that galaxy map full of explorable planets. 

Tough decision for you to make @Julius, personally my dilemma is I can't decide which trilogy to start with :laughing: 

Shopto currently have the game for pre-order for £38.85 (all platforms). Seems like a good price considering most games these days are launching at £45 or more.

I might grab it when it gets a bit of a discount on PC. Got a bit burnt out on Lego games a few years ago.

Still a shame about the voice acting. I just prefer Lego games without it.

Just now, Happenstance said:

Still a shame about the voice acting. I just prefer Lego games without it.

I'm the same. There just seemed to be more charm to the games when it relied on silent comedy.

I'm still back and forth as to whether or not i'll pick this up. The reports that were released at the start of the year about staff at the studio being overworked, underpaid and generally bullied left me feeling conflicted. I'd like to play it but I don't really want to support these kind of working conditions. It's getting to the point now where just about every company in the industry has some skeletons in their closet. 

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this