NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
MindFreak

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

It seems that a leak at Bandai Namco has confirmed that a Remaster of the first Ni no Kuni-game from 2010 is on the way for consoles, while the Switch receives the standard version. 

Journey back to the other world in Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. Level-5’s classic tale returns better than ever. Join Oliver as he embarks on an adventure through a world inhabited by new friends and ferocious foes alike in the hopes of bringing back his mother after a tragic incident. With a copy of the Wizard’s Companion in his hand and his trusty friend Drippy by his side, he will travel across this rich fantasy world to tame familiars, take on enemies, and overcome the countless challenges that stand between him and his mother’s salvation.

This charming tale unfolds through the use of animation storyboarded and created by the legendary Studio Ghibli and music composed by the renowned Joe Hisaishi. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch combines beautiful animated visuals, masterful storytelling, and a sweeping score to create an epic role-playing adventure like no other.

– Take the Other World with You – Take Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch wherever you go on Nintendo Switch.

– All-Star Production – Level-5’s mastery of the RPG genre is combined with Studio Ghibli’s world-class animation and music composed by the renowned Joe Hisaishi.

– Captivating Story – A charming yet tragic tale unfolds through the use of animation storyboarded and created by Studio Ghibli with English and Japanese voice-overs.

– Role-Playing Mastery – A rich mixture of familiar RPG elements, expertly crafted and designed, and featuring dozens of locations to explore, hundreds of creatures to battle, and a wealth of quests and secrets to uncover.

– Dynamic Combat – Switch freely between characters and familiars in an exciting battle system that combines real-time and turn-based tactical elements.

1559977343_3.jpeg

1559977343_2.jpeg

1559977343_1.jpeg

1559977343.jpeg

https://nintendoeverything.com/ni-no-kuni-leaked-for-switch/

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

At least I used the E3 leak thread. :p 

Hah, hadn't seen that. It's on the wrong forum. :p

• Haha 1

I suppose the cat's out of the bag now so I guess we can discuss the game.

This is an absolute gem of a JRPG and a must play for those who are a fan of the genre. Even if the Switch version is just a straight port, it's definitely worth playing.

• Like 1

Well, I'm very happy with this coming to Switch. It was one of those few PS3 games that I almost bought a PS3 for because I wanted to play it. So will definitely get it once it releases. 

I had it on PS3 and it was charming as hell, something I thought the sequel lacked. 

I’ll probably get the PS4 or PC version when it comes out. Not going with some shitty N64 looking port on Switch.

11 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I’ll probably get the PS4 or PC version when it comes out. Not going with some shitty N64 looking port on Switch.

First screen of the Switch version has been released.

D8ieBB8X4AAabYG?format=png&name=360x360

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I didn’t actually enjoy this one much on PS3 really.

Lovely presentation, utterly mediocre and uninteresting gameplay.  Your typical Level 5 RPG really.

Edited by Dcubed

17 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I didn’t actually enjoy this one much on PS3 really.

Lovely presentation, utterly mediocre and uninteresting gameplay.  Your typical Level 5 RPG really.

I think the gameplay was why I stopped the first time to be honest. I’d like to try and power through this time though because I was enjoying the story and characters if I remember right.

I am reliably informed that this game's story is incredibly childish and basic so I'm going to give it a pass.

Only ever played the first one on the DS which pre-dates the PS3 enhanced port.

Edited by sumo73

Looks like reviews are generally good but one seems to have experienced major glitches and bugs. Hopefully this isn't the general perception and I hope patches will make it better. 

I just preordered the game today and look forward to starting it. 

Got this a day early and played it for three hours yesterday, which is a nice amount of time to get it properly started. Got to the point where the cat gave me a wand.

Overall, the game runs well, no frame drops when playing, though the cutscenes do stutter a little from time to time (but I've seen this is some animes from Studio Ghibli as well so I'm inclined to believe that it's just laziness from their part). The visuals are very nice, colourful and vibrant and sound is good.

Gameplay-wise I have wandered a bit about in the overworld which, as someone else mentioned, seems a bit empty. This is not a problem in towns and other places, but yeah, it's not the most inspiring place to go adventuring. 
Then we have the smaller areas. They work really well and there seems to be enough to do. 
Battles, though. I do get the criticism. Once you have more than one familiar, you have to switch between them and then Oliver in order to heal. I think it works alright but it takes some getting used to. 
The story seems heavy and meaningful, again it reminds me of an anime. That's great. I do wonder, though, if it's all just Oliver's imagination....

I'm looking forward to playing more.

I'm about 18 hours in now, just arrived at Hamelin and snuck into the palace. And met my doom. Several times. I thought I was there levelwise, being able to handle most things but the miniboss in the palace is at the moment impossible to handle. I then saw that I had recently "evolved" a couple of my Familiars so they are very weak. Off to grind then!

I do see the problems with the combat now that I have three party members. The AI is not really good - they never defend, for instance, which means they take huge amounts of damage most of the time, even with the All Out Defence-option. They also don't prioritize very effective attacks and such. It's a shame that it makes battles even harder and I have seen my downfall several times after getting to the island where Hamelin is located, partially also due to the fact that healing items are very expensive and I spent most of my money on weapons. It's also as if the developers wanted to make the combat fast paced and strategic at the same time, but then you have to go through a menu to find your attacks or even switch character to heal another character. If you then run out of mana without the right provisions, you are stuck. All in all, it's really not balanced all that well, which is unfortunate.

One thing that I'm also missing is a quick travel option as some of those errands demand me to go across the entire country on foot.

However, I do enjoy the game very much. The story is really enjoyable, as is the cast in general. 

I started the game today (PS4 version). This was one of my favourite JRPGs from the last generation, right up there with Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. I fell in love with it back in 2013 and after firing the game up for the first time on the PS4, I can see why this was the case. Right off the bat the game is charming as hell. I'm still early on ( just entered Ding Dong Dell ) but the game is already won me over all over again. I look forward to digging into the game some more.

I forgot how amazing the overworld/main theme was.

Beautiful. :heart:

I'm now 32 hours in and have just got the third magic stone. I really like the game, the story is really good as is the pace. I have spent a lot of time trying to catch certain familiars, though (I found a place telling me what to get) and training them to a good point. I have come to terms with the battle mechanics but I still find them a bit off as I often don't have time to guard and heal properly because I have to switch characters and find the right menu item without the game pausing. 

• Like 1

I put some more time into the game yesterday evening and early this morning and i'm currently around the 10 hour mark, with my team kicking around level 22.

I had a nightmare trying to finish off an errand. Trying to catch a Green Buncher took an absolute age. I just kept walking around the desert, fighting enemies left and right, until the thing actually became available to join my team. It wasn't so bad though, I mean I did get a lot of cash and experience out of it all. This meant that the bosses that I had to fight didn't really pose much of a threat. i just had my main familiar constantly attack and he was able to take care of business pretty quickly.

I've set up the AI to not use abilities during the normal fights. This stops them from using MP during the normal encounters and then I can use their MP to heal up when need be. When it comes to the boss fights I switch them to use whatever they want, not that it is really needed at the moment.

When I left the game I had just got a hold of the Sea Cow and I think i'll do some grinding in the sea area and grab a few more of the new Familiars before I move on.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I've just finished off the Teeheeti area. So funny. The stand-up section was great and with them having a Welsh accent, it got me thinking about Rhod Gilbert...which then got me thinking about the torch with the power of a million candles. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've just crossed over the 20 hour mark and have fast travel unlocked and a dragon to ride. I was hoping to reach the lovely snowy area of Yule today but I got side tracked with the errands the NPCs were dishing out.

I was happy to see the Toko (Metal Slimes) spots were still alive and well in this game. I set about doing some power leveling and whilst it was a slow start, I've now got the ball rolling nicely. I'm grabbing a massive 18k experience in some battles and my team are level 50+, which is nuts for where I am in the game. Just how I likes it. :D 

I think I'll hang around here until I get them to level 60, before moving on with the story.

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm grabbing a massive 18k experience in some battles

What, how do you do that? I recently got 9000 from one battle and was stunned - I thought it was because I killed a special familiar but is there a way to make them spawn?

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

What, how do you do that? I recently got 9000 from one battle and was stunned - I thought it was because I killed a special familiar but is there a way to make them spawn?

Sounds like you're in the right area.

What you do is teleport over to Perdida, walk down the path a little way and then look to see if Tokotoko has spawned on the map. You should be able to see 5 enemies from the top of the hill. If you can't see one, run/teleport back to Perdida and enter and then exit the town. Repeat. Once you find one, you really have to sneak up on it (although I imagine you will probably have Veil spell by now) otherwise it pegs it. Once in battle there's a high chance that two of them spawn. Take them out before they run away and the 18k is yours.

• Like 1

I done some more errands and bounties this morning and unlocked the third tier of rewards. First thing I bought from them was the second exp boost. I then went back to exp grinding, where I was now getting 19k. I sat and done this for a while and now my team are level 70+. Methinks this should be more than enough to carry me to the rest of the game and the next grinding spot.

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I done some more errands and bounties this morning and unlocked the third tier of rewards. First thing I bought from them was the second exp boost. I then went back to exp grinding, where I was now getting 19k. I sat and done this for a while and now my team are level 70+. Methinks this should be more than enough to carry me to the rest of the game and the next grinding spot.

Until you have to metamorph them to their final stage... I don't quite like how that resets the level completely.

42 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Until you have to metamorph them to their final stage... I don't quite like how that resets the level completely.

The ones I'm using are already in their final forms.

Sign in to follow this