NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Yooka Laylee And The Impossible Lair

Generally about the same. Although the Impossible Lair is harder than anything Tropical Freeze throws at you.

• Thanks 1

The overworld in this game. :bouncy:
I LOVE it! 
Just encountered...

Spoiler

Fannee and nearly spat my coffee out. Hahaha. 
Literally cracking me up. 

But yeah, :D loving it so far. I am enjoying the overworld more than the actual levels though... 

• Thanks 1

This game only debuted at No. 31 on the official UK chart (56% of sales were on Nintendo Switch), which doesn't strike me as very good.

I'll be looking forward to it appearing in the January sales so I pick myself up a bargain.

Well, number 31 isn't great but considering the mass appeal of the game combined with the plethora of other releases these weeks, I wouldn't say it's that bad.

Remember that only four* third party games have achieved to sell more than 500,000 copies on Switch (this was revealed last week) while several games coming out at the time will achieve that on other platforms, I believe.

* Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy, Starfew Valley, Mario + Rabbids and Minecraft.

If anyone is interested in this and hasn't picked it up, it's available at Argos for £12.99 on both the PS4 and Xbox One. The Switch version has a small discount as well (it's down to £20.99 IIRC).

Very much tempted at that price. Didn't take to the original Yooka Laylee but then I didn't like Banjo Kazooie (I know, heresy but it just doesn't click with me) but I do like a solid 2d platformers so may well pick it up. Don't know when I'd play it but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it if I end up picking it up.

• Thanks 1

This is 25 % off for the next week on the eShop. 

May buy it now then as I kind of need a new game soon and had this or A Hat In Time topping my lists. 

• Like 1

Good price for it, I already bought the game physically (of course) but for digital it's a great deal. :D

I just wish I had 25% more time to devote to playing this game and other titles which have been released recently. ;)

Ah, I'll get around to playing them, one day...

I'll play this the next time I'm in the mood for a decent 2D platformer. :)

43 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

This is 25 % off for the next week on the eShop. 

May buy it now then as I kind of need a new game soon and had this or A Hat In Time topping my lists. 

Impossible Lair is by far the better game of the two.

I bought this and started it yesterday. Its quite alright with good controls and a colourful art style. They have also kept the witty dialogue. 

On thing, though. It seems that the pace should be high but of you want to collect coins and look around, you have to slow down a bit much and often can't go back. And since some levels are a bit on the long side, I don't feel like replaying them over and over to collect the coins. It's also unclear when there is a secondary version of a level which means that some places are not reachable at the current time. 

But yeah. Four or five levels in, and I enjoy it very much. 

• Thanks 1

Found a Panic-level yesterday and experienced something weird about it. It's called Production Path - Panic and once I started the level, I could immediately roll and jump to get past the first cogwheel. But when I died, I couldn't do it again, the cogwheel had turned too much and thus, I wasn't able to get the first TWIT coin in the runs where I died before the first checkpoint. 

Other than that, I'm finding the game quite enjoyable, definitely the best YL game out there. :)

Edited by MindFreak
  • Thanks 1

Finally started playing this game.  Up to chapter 5 and yeah, it’s really great so far! Loving it! :D 

• Thanks 1

So, I am now ready for the Impossible Lair, having collected bees from every level as well as a few secret ones - giving me 44 bees in total. I hope that's enough but I'm now halfway through The Impossible Lair and have 8 bees left. So will probably have to try again. Some parts were easy enough, some parts took several tries and some parts seem impossible without the bees.

I have enjoyed the ride, this game is really good. I have a few niggles, though. One being the inability to backtrack in a level - if you accidentally activate a checkpoint or fall off a ledge, you can't go back so that's a missed coin right there. Happened quite a few times for me and it was frustrating - but I've learned that you don't need so many of those coins so I'll just leave it.

Another thing is the flow of the levels. I don't find them as fluid as Rayman Legends or DKC Returns (or TF), even though this game is inspired by them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Erm. I wasn't halfway through as I thought. I was at 36 %. Tried again and got to the third fight against Capital B, who bested me this time. 50 %. 

At least I get better but I hate things like this. There are points where I find that it's impossible to actually avoid getting hit. 

Edited by MindFreak

Geez, just saw a video of the level. Absolutely insane, and it really puts me off playing it. 

4 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Geez, just saw a video of the level. Absolutely insane, and it really puts me off playing it. 

I got to the same stage as you and haven’t been back. I loved the game (one of my favourites this year), but the last bit was an absolute swine and I have no inclination to return to it currently. 

Id happily play the main levels all again though. 

Quite insanely, this game is now free on the Epic game store on PC. Don't know how long it lasts though, the site says 1/1/2020 5AM but I don't know what timezone they use.

I've collected all the TWIT coins and really enjoyed this game once I'd adjusted to the difficulty which I initially found quite frustrating and uneven.

I'd highly recommend this to anyone looking for a solid 2D platformer, it is bursting with content and a steal at the low prices it's going for (I picked it up for €25).

Having said that, I've tried the Impossible Lair twice and not going to bother again as I don't have the time and energy for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

An update is on the way, adding Checkpoints to The Impossible Lair. 

Not So Impossible Lair

Each section now ends with a Checkpoint (Checkmates, technically). Checkpoints save your best “Bee Shield score”, meaning you can choose which sections to start from, practice and improve on! Using these checkpoints is entirely optional.

Impossible Lair

No Bee Shield, no Checkpoints! The “Golden Try” Tonic can now be earned this way – no new save file required.

Great improvement and it's great that it's optional. This way, all get to experience it the way they want. 

Should roll out on April 14th.

This is 12€ on the PSN store.

Worth it?
Challenging and fun Platinum? @Hero-of-Time :p

Looking for a game that'll take me right out of the inevitable Demon's Souls rage and dread :D

9 minutes ago, drahkon said:

This is 12€ on the PSN store.

Worth it?
Challenging and fun Platinum? @Hero-of-Time :p

Looking for a game that'll take me right out of the inevitable Demon's Souls rage and dread :D

I adore the game because it's very much like the DKC games. Seeing as you didn't care for Tropical Freeze, then you may not enjoy this.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I adore the game because it's very much like the DKC games. Seeing as you didn't care for Tropical Freeze, then you may not enjoy this.

Hm, I did enjoy the demo, though. And Yooka and Laylee are much more likeable characters than those stupid monkeys :p

How does it compare to the SNES DK games, 'cause I love those.

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Hm, I did enjoy the demo, though. And Yooka and Laylee are much more likeable characters than those stupid monkeys :p

How does it compare to the SNES DK games, 'cause I love those.

Putting nostalgia to one side, I think it's better than the original trilogy. The standard levels are fantastic but it's the overworld exploration that adds a little something special to the mix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this