NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Yooka Laylee And The Impossible Lair

Coming out this year on Switch (and other platforms), it very much resembles Donkey Kong Country Returns/Tropical Freeze, but with additional top-down stages that resemble 2D Zelda!

Looks really good! Colour me hyped! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It looks like they've gone for making a game of a much smaller and much more reasonable scope this time around; so there's a much bigger chance of this game being good!

I've always felt that Playtonic had it in them to make something special; but YL was just simply too ambitious a project for them. This seems much more in-line with what they can reasonably output as a studio, so I'm really glad to see them take another crack at the IP with something of a more reasonable scope!

Really looking forward to it; it makes a great first impression!

• Like 1

I found YL rather boring and with bad controls. But this looks much more fun and with 2D, the controls are easier to nail. 

Looks good, definitely on my watch list. 

Yes please. Loved Yooka Laylee to bits. 

This looks lovely, too :) 

• Like 1

content-4-35821-yookalayleeandtheimpossiblelairbanner.jpg

And it's up on the front page! :D

Damn, you never can tell when there's going to be news to post during this run up to E3, it's welcome news though. :peace:

This looks really good, I'm wondering if as a backer of the original Yooka-Laylee there might be some kind of offer for the physical copy.

I doubt it, and it doesn't matter either way, I'm just glad this is coming out. :)

I really liked Yooka-Laylee, even though I do need to go back to it on the Switch.

A new platformer in the same universe but from a different perspective sounds good to me. :smile:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really liked Yooka-Laylee...

It had flaws, sure, but I really enjoyed it.

This looks pretty cool though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a  bit disappointed. 

If they'd have just gone for smaller worlds (and more of them) but stuck to the same style as the original, then I'd have been happy. 

This still looks great, but it definitely isn't what I wanted in terms of a follow up. 

I will still buy it though I'm sure - I just felt like they were almost there with the original and a sequel could have ironed out the kinks to make for a better game. 

This looks really quite boring to me. Like, just from watching that video I feel that I can already tell exactly how this game is going to play and that it doesn't look particularly interesting. An example or what I'm getting at - walking and swimming looks really quite slow and laboured.

When they first announced YL they said they want to create a series of games within the same 'universe'.  I wonder if that's still the plan...

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

When they first announced YL they said they want to create a series of games within the same 'universe'.  I wonder if that's still the plan...

Well they said that this is intentionally not a sequel to the original game; but that they’d still be interested in doing a sequel at a later date.  So this is exactly the kind of spinoff game you’d expect from that approach.

Edited by Dcubed

To add on what Dcubed said, this quote from their website.

Is this a sequel to Yooka-Laylee?

No, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair isn’t a direct sequel. We’ve got lots planned for the future of the Yooka-Laylee universe, but we want to approach each with a fresh take, as each game is an opportunity for us to add new mechanics and gameplay that isn’t necessarily limited to what’s happened before.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

I basically meant new characters 😋

I think that the ultimate goal would be to build up a new “Rare Universe” if you will; but Playtonic is ultimately only a small studio, there’s only so much that they can make.

I think their current goal though is more Banjo Pilot than Diddy Kong Racing if you will.

The game was just shown on Treehouse Live and it looks AWESOME!!

I absolutely love the idea of having the final level open up right at the beginning; it's the one good idea from BOTW done justice! Also love the way they've nicked the Wario Land 3 thing where they have a link between the overworld and platforming levels; where things change depending on what you do outside the level!

The actual platforming gameplay looks brilliant too! Very DKCR/DKCTF esc!

Great showing! Really looking forward to it :D 

Phew, framerate needs some serious improvement...other than that: looks awesome :D 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Phew, framerate needs some serious improvement...other than that: looks awesome :D 

It seems to be some kind of upload issue. IGN posted some gameplay of this recently and it runs much nicer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Comes out on October 8th and has a 10 percent preorder discount until then.

Good stuff. I've got a couple of weeks off work booked in when it releases, so I'll be able to spend some quality time with the game upon release.

I bought the original on the PS4 and I'll be doing the same with the sequel.

content-4-35962-yookalayleeandtheimpossiblelairbanner.jpg

Up on the front page, it's just a press release though... don't get too excited. :p

I re-bought Yooka Laylee on the Switch (well, won a £20 eshop card and it was on sale), considering getting this on the Switch to go alongside it.  So far, it looks good and much better than the first.  They have said that this style would suit the game better.

Edited by Jimbob

I have my physical copy of the original game thanks to backing the game and getting a hefty reduction on the Limited Run Games release, I should really unseal it and play it.

Edited by S.C.G

Sign in to follow this