NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Ghostbusters

The pretty damn good PS3/360 Ghostbusters game (that is essentially the third film) is getting a remaster, and Switch is included in consoles.

Back then I believe it got pretty good reviews. But I forgot about the artstyle, and this remake seems to be completely different in that regard. Not sure what I'd prefer, though I have a slight interest since I missed the game back then.

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

Back then I believe it got pretty good reviews. But I forgot about the artstyle, and this remake seems to be completely different in that regard. Not sure what I'd prefer, though I have a slight interest since I missed the game back then.

The Wii/PS2 versions were cellshaded/cartoony. The other versions where more "realistic".

• Thanks 1

Pretty cool, I've played through this game a few times, both on Xbox 360 and Steam because I enjoy it so much. Annoyingly, this release will be exclusive to Epics Store for the PC version this time and not on steam, so I'll probably get it for Switch.

I'd be interested to see if they did more then just raise the resolution and if they actually added anything to it. For example the game was originally going to have a level set during a thanksgivings parade, which was mostly complete from what I understand. If you root around the PC versions files you can hear all the audio they got Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd etc that they recorded all the audio for. Also the 360/PS3 game had an online mode, which admittedly wasn't that great but it would be nice if that was in this version.

Seem to remember some awful screen tearing in this game and I barely ever notice these things. 

Great game though, just hope it’s priced appropriately. 

10 hours ago, Helmsly said:

Pretty cool, I've played through this game a few times, both on Xbox 360 and Steam because I enjoy it so much. Annoyingly, this release will be exclusive to Epics Store for the PC version this time and not on steam, so I'll probably get it for Switch.

I'd be interested to see if they did more then just raise the resolution and if they actually added anything to it. For example the game was originally going to have a level set during a thanksgivings parade, which was mostly complete from what I understand. If you root around the PC versions files you can hear all the audio they got Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd etc that they recorded all the audio for. Also the 360/PS3 game had an online mode, which admittedly wasn't that great but it would be nice if that was in this version.

I loved that mode. Trying to get all the ghosts and playing what was essentially horde mode from Gears of War but with ghosts was a blast. The only negative thing about it was that there was an achievement tied to catching all of the most wanted ghosts but it was glitched and anyone who played the game within the first few months was unable to obtain it. This was never patched due to Terminal Reality going out of business. :( 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I played the Wii version with friend in co-op. Just a few hours or so. Really liked it, but I remember thinking that I really, realllly wanted this version as it looks closer to the films. Excited that it's getting chance on newer console!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I loved that mode. Trying to get all the ghosts and playing what was essentially horde mode from Gears of War but with ghosts was a blast. The only negative thing about it was that there was an achievement tied to catching all of the most wanted ghosts but it was glitched and anyone who played the game within the first few months was unable to obtain it. This was never patched due to Terminal Reality going out of business. :( 

I loved the online too, played that game to death on PS3 and i still play on the PC (not online since its dead) its a brilliant game! It would be brilliant if some of the planned maps for the multiplayer are released too, think there was a river of slime and shandor roof top map if i remember rightly

• Like 1

The Ghostbuster's Fanfest in LA had had a small conference panel about this game, apparently it will ship without the online mode but it will be added in via a patch at a later date.  However, it will be rebuilt from the ground up, which is something I wasn't expecting at all.

Edited by Helmsly

The release date for this will be October 4th.

IGN released a very short bit of game play footage the other day:

It's hard to see the improvements based on this little clip, but It seems to basically run as well as the PC version did from 2009. However, its easy to forget that the Xbox 360 version ran at 720p and the PS3 version ran at an even lower resolution on PS3,  which was bumped up a little later on with a patch, so at 1080p (and 4K on PS4pro and Xbox One X) its a very nice bump is resolution compared to the the 360/PS3 versions. Also the framerate will be 60fps, which again is a decent improvement over the old console versions which ran at 30.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It seems a strange choice for a remaster, but I’m not complaining.  I didn’t play the originals, but from what I read it wasn’t a bad game and, like already mentioned, the story was effectively another film.  They did incredibly well to get so many of the original cast involved, and I’m looking forward to seeing the finished product come October!

The game is out now:

If anyone remembers back when this game original released back in 2009, there was some store exclusive pre-order DLC of the Ghostbusters 2 Flight Suit and a Gold Proton pack. They've put them in this remaster as unlockables for completing the game on Normal and Hard :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

The game is out now:

If anyone remembers back when this game original released back in 2009, there was some store exclusive pre-order DLC of the Ghostbusters 2 Flight Suit and a Gold Proton pack. They've put them in this remaster as unlockables for completing the game on Normal and Hard :)

I didn't even though they had that! :o

My (Switch) copy arrived today, gonna play it inbetween stuff I think. It looks pretty decent upgrade judging from that video even though it's not supposed to be remastered the same was as the PS4 or Xbox One version are.

Started, finished and platinumed the game today.

Spoiler

EGI4zmVWwAAoAGS.jpg

I really enjoyed my time with the game. I haven't played it since it's original release around 10 years ago now ( where the hell has the time gone? ) and I found it just as enjoyable as I did back then. 

I was a little worried that the remaster may be a bit rough around the edges. I mean, it had very little fanfare and it was released at just over £20. Thankfully the remaster was pretty well done. The only thing I would say that was rough was the pre-rendered cutscenes due to the lower resolution. Other than that the game was a solid port.

I watched the EZA review of the game and Damiani mentioned that the AI never picked him up when he got downed and they were also getting knocked out all of the time. I have to say, I never really had this problem at all. In fact, I had to actually grind the trophy for reviving 20 team mates because they were all pretty competent and held their own. 

Speaking of trophies/achievements, I completely forgot that a lot of them are based on sayings from the movies. I had a smile on my face every time one of them popped up on my screen. I love the movies to bits. :heart:

Back on the 360 you were unable to unlock all of the achievements due to a glitch that the developers never did patch properly. It always haunted me that I was robbed of my full completion. It's nice that after 10 years I can finally achieve 100% on the thing. :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I watched the EZA review of the game and Damiani mentioned that the AI never picked him up when he got downed and they were also getting knocked out all of the time. I have to say, I never really had this problem at all. In fact, I had to actually grind the trophy for reviving 20 team mates because they were all pretty competent and held their own. 

Speaking of trophies/achievements, I completely forgot that a lot of them are based on sayings from the movies. I had a smile on my face every time one of them popped up on my screen. I love the movies to bits. :heart:

Back on the 360 you were unable to unlock all of the achievements due to a glitch that the developers never did patch properly. It always haunted me that I was robbed of my full completion. It's nice that after 10 years I can finally achieve 100% on the thing. :D 

It's happened to me on the 360 version a few times, mostly on the higher difficulties since the ghosts can kill in 1 hit. I wouldn't say they "never" did though.

I watched the first movie again today in preparation for playing this again.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ike said:

It's happened to me on the 360 version a few times, mostly on the higher difficulties since the ghosts can kill in 1 hit. I wouldn't say they "never" did though.

I watched the first movie again today in preparation for playing this again.

I remember the Cherub/Stone Angel enemies on the grave yard stage being particularly difficult on the hardest setting.

2 hours ago, Helmsly said:

I remember the Cherub/Stone Angel enemies on the grave yard stage being particularly difficult on the hardest setting.

Yeah, those things are very annoying no matter what difficulty you're on. The section where you need to open the gate and they are constantly spawning on you is always a toughie.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, those things are very annoying no matter what difficulty you're on. The section where you need to open the gate and they are constantly spawning on you is always a toughie.

Yeah. Another thing was that ghost's will randomly just charge at you and there isn't you can actually do about it, since the doge move is too slow/unresponsive to be useful. Or at least that's how it was in the 2009 release.

It'll be interesting if they add multiplayer to this. They've said they want to work on it from the ground up and make something new.

5 hours ago, Helmsly said:

Yeah. Another thing was that ghost's will randomly just charge at you and there isn't you can actually do about it, since the doge move is too slow/unresponsive to be useful. Or at least that's how it was in the 2009 release.

That feeling when you enjoy a meme so much, even your typos start to reference it.

• Haha 3

Ugh, did the Cherub part today and it's the first time I had too restart that many times. Sometimes I was dying in seconds and there was nothing I could do.

I beat the game anyway, I enjoyed the dialog between the Ghostbusters. The game is a bit janky in places but it really nails the feeling of being a Ghostbuster.

As a side note, the comic series by IDW is really good and follows on from the game, it came out a few years ago and it's worth checking out.

I picked this up the other day, even though I have the 2009 release on 360 and PC. But as it was on sale on the eshop for £11 i figured I'd check out this remaster and felt like playing through it again.

It was fun going through the game but I wish a little more had been done with it, it feels like a straight port to me. All of the janky issues the original release had are stil there which is surprising to see for a remaster.

At the very least I think they could have tweaked the A.I of the other ghostbusters. I found that they constantly walk through your proton charge while you're trying to wear down a ghost, which means that not only do they take damage from it (while complaining about it in the process) they also block the stream from hitting whatever ghost you were going after. Weirdly I found this more of an issue in the open levels of the game where they seem to be programed to wonder around a lot more. The smaller sections, such as the hotel they seem to generally stay in one place so you can pick a spot and work on a ghost without any interruptions.

They also take forever to revive each other, which for the most part isn't an issue as they rarely get knocked down on normal or easy settings, but its a major issue on a couple of boss fights and stages on the hardest difficulty. In the final boss battle they don't move out of the way of oncoming attacks fast enough so his fire attack almost always takes out at least two members of the team.

So you have to rush and save them, because the the other two guys probably won't even attempt to do so for a good 20 seconds or so and will most probably get incapped in the process.

I finished the game just now and this new version unlocks a GB2 flightsuit, which was a pre-order bonus for the game back in its original 2009 release. There was a glitch with it where the GB1 logo on the should overlaps the GB2 logo and it seems that is still there in this remaster :angry:.

Lastly you unlock a gold proton pack if you complete it on the hardest setting but I can't see myself doing that, its way too tedious to keep reviving teammates who don't watch your back or help each other until its too late.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 3

On 30/04/2020 at 5:14 PM, Helmsly said:

it was on sale on the eshop for £11 i figured I'd check out this remaster

Really now? I was looking through the current offers on Friday morning (got the Splatoon 2, Blasphemous and Blossom Tales demos-- maybe others too) and never noticed Ghostbusters. Either it was buried way down the list or the deal expired. It is a game I'd be curious to try out, especially for about a tenner I could download it and leave it til the Halloween season rolls around. 

On 05/05/2020 at 2:29 PM, darksnowman said:

Really now? I was looking through the current offers on Friday morning (got the Splatoon 2, Blasphemous and Blossom Tales demos-- maybe others too) and never noticed Ghostbusters. Either it was buried way down the list or the deal expired. It is a game I'd be curious to try out, especially for about a tenner I could download it and leave it til the Halloween season rolls around. 

Yeah if I remember correctly it was listed as ‘Deal of the Day’. 

Edited by Helmsly
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this