NEurope
Glen-i

Pokémon Direct - June 5th: 2pm

23 hours ago, Glen-i said:

For all we know, that could mean it's a port with a different ending/extra chapter.

Perhaps you're right, they have been making a habit of re-releasing games with bits tacked on that wouldn't justify a standalone purchase. See the Mario and Luigi games for prime examples.

A guy who leaked a few other Nintendo details and got them right has posted a couple of bits of info about today's Direct, including a release date. There's nothing really spoliery about what the person has shared but I figured i'd tag it for those wanting to go into the Direct blind.

Spoiler

Wild Pokemon are like Pokemon Let's Go (not sure about catching mechanics)
- "Open World" in routes
-Will have raid battles for local and online
-Release date is November 15th

Not long until we see how accurate this info is.

Spoiler

I loved being able to see the Pokemon roam around the world in Pokemon Let's Go and I REALLY hope that it remains for this game.

Spoiler

If that leak is legit, then that means Game Freak purposely turned off visible overworld Pokémon in the first trailer just to mislead people.

Which is kinda silly.

Anyway, won't be able to watch the Direct today. You know what they say, life finds a way... to stop me watching Directs.

The livestream can be seen here:

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 player online co-op raids. Nice! Now watch them make it so we can't play with friends. :D 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Haha 2

Hop looks like an annoying, happy go lucky prick just like Hau was. :nono: Bring back the nasty rivals!

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

Hate how they keep adding "one per battle" mechanics but the raid battles seem good.

Game is looking really good though, looked a bit Pokémon of the Wild-ish.

Meh, the Dynamax thing is not really something I like - just another gimmick. However, Raiding is awesome - though I hope you can also take them on with just one or two people (be it friends or strangers).

Otherwise, I think it looks great.

Wild Area look cool. First step to destination "Pokémon MMORPG"? :p Seriously, it better be!

Other than that...it's Pokémon, so... ::shrug: 

So, going by the above trailer, it's basically a lamer version of Mega Evolution that can be used on every Pokémon?

Eh...

Gonna go get more info from Serebii.

EDIT: OK, so it lasts 3 turns, so it's a longer version of Z-Moves then? That's even lamer.

Drednaw is awesome though and I want one! That's 2 of my playthrough team sorted. (Still on the fence about Grookey)

58 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Hop looks like an annoying, happy go lucky prick just like Hau was. :nono: Bring back the nasty rivals!

No-one tell him that would make him the nasty rival in this game.

Edited by Glen-i

To me, it all looks great, but then again, this will be my first totally new Pokémon since Pokémon Green.

Though I think they could have shown more new stuff in those 15 minutes? I would complain about only announcing 5 more new Pokémon, but unlike Pokémon Let's Go, I don't recognize at least 75% of the Pokémon shown in the video, so I guess I'm good. :laughing: The Raven looks cool, but I'm going to main the sheep!

I have no strong feelings one way or another about Dynamaxing.

Max Raid battles on the other hand, I'm all up for that!

Anyway, the world (wild area) looks cool, and I look forward to exploring it.

Probably going with Sword, since Sword Wolf looks much cooler than Shield Wolf, and reminds me of Sif.

48 minutes ago, Ike said:

Hate how they keep adding "one per battle" mechanics but the raid battles seem good.

Game is looking really good though, looked a bit Pokémon of the Wild-ish.

Yeah, Wild Area is literally the Pokemon of The Wild that people were asking for.

It looks like they’re using it as a Hyrule Field/The Great Sea style hub area though; so I’m cool with it.  We’re not getting it instead of handcrafted level/world design; but rather it looks more like The Wind Waker in terms of game design, so I’m fine with this :) 

@Glen-i; it’ll likely be a more interesting mechanic than Z-Moves though, since it’ll likely amount to much more than a nuke button.

Also interesting in that it could be used alongside Mega Evos (and it looks like it changes all of your moves to hit multiple Pokemon).

Speaking of which... The number of Pokemon onscreen for the battles gives me much hope for the return of Triple and Rotation Battles! :D 

Edited by Dcubed

content-4-35810-pokemondirect05062019banner.jpg

Here's N-Europe's Pokémon Direct 05.06.2019 Roundup.

That's all we can really do until the press release hopefully comes through. ::shrug:

So there's a short list in there containing some of the new information and I'll update it with the PR later.

It's a lot easier to just watch the video though, so that's in there as well and of course the release date is the main piece of information we wanted. :D

Pokémon for the end of this year then? Sounds good to me. :peace:

These will likely be the games which get me back into the series.

Edited by S.C.G

40 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

@Glen-i; it’ll likely be a more interesting mechanic than Z-Moves though, since it’ll likely amount to much more than a nuke button.

I doubt it, it looks like it'll just make nuke Pokémon instead of nuke moves.

The biggest issue I have with Z-Moves is that any Pokémon can use them. This means the most sensible choice to use Z-Moves were the Pokémon that were already top-tier.

Dynamax is essentially Z-Moves that aren't limited to one typing and lasts three turns. So would anyone decide that a Pokémon like Kecleon would be the best choice?

No, of course not. Kecleon is awful in battles. Why choose Kecleon when you can Dynamax a Garchomp and steamroll the competition?

Because any old Pokémon can do it, the top-tier ones get even further overpowered while the more ignored Pokémon get left behind even more.

• Thanks 3

The Wild area was a nice surprise, at least they're trying to evolve the formula a bit.

The main thing I kept thinking in amongst all the 20fps footage was how the Switch will soon be sounding like a PS4, struggling to cope with Game Freak's openworld coding. I think this game is going to chug, a lot.

As a first proper console RPG though, seems to be a decent enough effort from them tbf.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

The Wild area was a nice surprise, at least they're trying to evolve the formula a bit.

I mean, they tried to evolve the formula with Sun/Moon, but sure.

Anyway, some of my thoughts on the other stuff.

Interesting that they showed off the Champion straight away. It's cool that him and the Rival seem to be of Indian origin. Very UK.

Kinda indifferent to the Wild Area. Open world designs are boring, even if it is confined to one place. Now if it's a place that acts like an online hub and let's you see other trainers running around with who you can battle or trade, then I'll be interested.

Raid Battles? Meh. It's cool, I suppose. Call me when Online Battle Frontier comes back. Now that was awesome co-op Pokémon action.

Ewww, RotomDex is back... US/UM kinda soured me on RotomDex. Stupid thing would never shut up and just let me look at the map. Every time I booted up the game, it just had to remind me that I was the Alolan Champion. Gee, thanks, I didn't know I was decent at Pokémon, I've only been playing it for 20 years.

So yeah, still kinda middling on the game. Nothing that really excites me. Well, other than Sobble. Sobble's coolio.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

The main thing I kept thinking in amongst all the 20fps footage was how the Switch will soon be sounding like a PS4, struggling to cope with Game Freak's openworld coding. I think this game is going to chug, a lot.

Yeah, this looks really sluggish. :o And if they’re happy to show it with this level of performance, well it doesn’t bode well for the final product. :hmm: Not that it matters so much considering the gameplay of Pokémon, but it would be nice to finally see Game Freak improve in that department.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, this looks really sluggish. :o And if they’re happy to show it with this level of performance, well it doesn’t bode well for the final product. :hmm: Not that it matters so much considering the gameplay of Pokémon, but it would be nice to finally see Game Freak improve in that department.

It still baffles me that The Pokémon Company/Nintendo who are make a ton of profit, and considering Pokémon is one of the biggest franchises in the world, don't invest more in Game Freak and let them hire some extra staff to finally get a proper running game out.

Dynamax is not really my cup of tea. I wished they would have continued on the Mega Evolutions path, that was a cool new addition. This is indeed like Z-Moves, and doesn't feel like it adds something of interest. Other than that the game looks fine, could have looked better but you know you cannot expect that from Pokémon. Not hyped though, then again it's been a while since I was hyped for a Pokémon game anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Looking back at some of the footage, with wild grass moments you couldn't see the Pokèmon, but you could in these Wild Areas. I'm hoping the wild areas are several contained Safari Zone type places, because I've always preferred the mystery of the tall grass.

Now fix that Sword Pokèmon now. It looks horrendous.

Well i liked it all,but my only question..............Why doesn't Hop have a nose?